Electrical Goods From The Uk

pattayapete69

Hi All,

Well, the time for moving out is fast approaching :o ........... and I was wondering about my electrical goods.

I am bringing some electrical goods with me from the UK, and wanted to know whether I can get by, using them with the 2 pin adapters that you can buy at the airports.

Thanks

Peter

Hi All,

Well, the time for moving out is fast approaching :o ........... and I was wondering about my electrical goods.

I am bringing some electrical goods with me from the UK, and wanted to know whether I can get by, using them with the 2 pin adapters that you can buy at the airports.

Thanks

Peter

Peter,

Depends on how many appliances you are bringing over but I reckon don't waste your money on adapters at the airport; they are marked up heavily. All the hardware shops, home improvement stores and some supermarkets here sell power strips with sockets that will take the UK 3-pin plug (square pins). If your new residence here has 3-pin (grounded) type outlets, all the better. You can get power strips with 2-pin or 3-pin plugs here but if you use the former, you won't have any ground protection on the appliance although some will argue the significance of that considering Thai electrical wiring. Expect to pay B300 and up for a decent, grounded, multi-socket power strip. Anything cheaper probably won't last and may be dodgy.

Edited by NanLaew

Expect to pay B300 and up for a decent, grounded, multi-socket power strip. Anything cheaper probably won't last and may be dodgy.

Even that might be still at the low end...

As for importing household items, be aware that you have to pay duties on them unless you have a valid work permit!

Raro,

It will just be my laptop, phone and iPod, carried in my hand luggage, hopefully these will be ok.

Peter

In that case you may get by with just single-outlet adapters and they too are available at Amorn and also in the supermarkets here, a lot cheaper than the ones at the airport.

Item I forgot........

If your going to use your UK 3 pin plugs bring with you some spare fuses...

If your items are newish look at the plugs... you may find that they are 2 pin moulded on the cable inside the UK 3 pin plug....

Both my Laptop and mobile charger was like this, I had no idea..... open the UK plug and see

You can buy here 69 baht [some supermarkets], single 2pin to 3 pin UK type Power Surge adapters

Edited by ignis

Raro,

It will just be my laptop, phone and iPod, carried in my hand luggage, hopefully these will be ok.

Peter

Legally, you have to pay duties for this one as well, however, as long as you look like a tourist....figure it out by yourself... :o