Why Do Western People Use The Word "farang"?

ade100

Thais read very few books. Is this a sign of an intellectual mecca? Lets be realistic. As a generality, Thai culture does not encourage curiosity about the world outside of Thailand. That doesn't mean they are dumb or have low IQs, just a reflection of the culture.

I would prefer being called an American.

I find your post strange considering most Americans are pig ignorant about the outside world.

You ever read the posts and see the videos about Americans being asked to name a country beginning with the letter " U "

Not only did they not know the " United States of America" they also thought Yugoslavia began with a "U"

Pathetic.

I don,t find the word FARANG offensive in the slightest. Its the word Thai,s use to describe foreigners.

You don,t like it? Then clear off.

Edited by stevemiddie

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thais read very few books. Is this a sign of an intellectual mecca? Lets be realistic. As a generality, Thai culture does not encourage curiosity about the world outside of Thailand. That doesn't mean they are dumb or have low IQs, just a reflection of the culture.

I would prefer being called an American.

I find your post strange considering most Americans are pig ignorant about the outside world.

You ever read the posts and see the videos about Americans being asked to name a country beginning with the letter " U "

Not only did they not know the " United States of America" they also thought Yugoslavia began with a "U"

Pathetic.

I don,t find the word FARANG offensive in the slightest. Its the word Thai,s use to describe foreigners.

As a Yank, I resent your statement about most of us being pig ignorant about the outside world. I want you to know that I did know that the United States begins with a 'U' but thanks for the tip about the spelling of Yugoslavia because I agree that many of my fellow countrymen are probably not aware of that spelling ! :o

Some excellent comments. Loads to think about

We seem to be divided on whether or not the word Farang is offensive, but many agree there is an underlying ignorance behind it.

The other day I was talking to a Thai girl who has a university degree and asked if she could point to Brazil on a map. She could not. I asked what language they spoke there. She said English. I got the same response to a list of countries: Mozambique, Austria, Puerto Rico, etc. "I don't know where it is but I think they speak English there". And this person has a degree.

So the Thai world view seems to be that there is this far off land, full of farangs who have light skin and speak English. I just think it is a little disrespectful to our cultures. But while I can understand Thai people using it, I can't understand why we have adopted it.

Apologies if I have repeated myself.

My wife and her mother use farang regularly as do most of the thai people I know. At no point have I ever got the impression that they use this word in a derogatory way. Certainly my M in Law has nothing but respect for me and all the western people she has met (basically my friends at the wedding) so maybe we have to look closer to home.

Do we hear an insult because we are frustrated that we are no longer in control? I will certainly own up that in the last 4 weeks (the time I have lived in BKK) I have been quite snappy with my wife, finding fault with her and generally blaming her for everything. I have realised that because I am no longer in control and I can't get around like I did in London I am frustrated and have struck out at the person closest to me (you always hurt the one you love). I am not proud of my behaviour but I am glad I have recognised it and will try to do something about it.

So my advice (whether right or wrong) is chill. When a thai says farang do they look at you with contempt and hatred? Is it like some NF thug shouting nigger or yid? If not maybe its just a word.

Another option is reclaim it like the blacks did with nigger and us jews did with yid.

If you can't join them beat them!!!

Relax there are enough frustrations in this demi paradise without making up more.

Personaly I dont like the term I dont like being A FARANG same as the German French or the rest of the world other than a Thia. I constantly tell My lady her family and friends I AM ENGLISH and not the same as a german Ect I speak English I was born and brought up in ENGLAND How can you be more ENGLISH than that so I ask them Please say English man not FARANG I dont blame them its just how things are. But I do find it slightly offensive Things may change at some day in the future but it looks light years away in the meantime Forgive them for they know not what they say

Edited by kennkate

ET's extremely well made point, which seems to be missed by so many posters, is that the general usage of the word 'farang,' regardless of its origins, amounts to objectification:

'the process by which people assign meaning to things, people, places, activities, (or, in the case of self-objectification, themselves), and thus become part of cultural constructions which inform and guide behavior. This term also refers to behavior in which one person treats another person as an object and not as a fellow human being with feelings and consciousness of his or her own, in other words as, as without agency. In this sense, it is a synonym of reification.'

The behaviour of charging 'farang' more for services, access etc. than people of 'Thai' appearance is one consequence. The use of the word by westerners, easterners, northerners or southerners perpetuates objectification and, to go back to the OPs question, originates from ignorance of or disinterest in the consequences. This is unlikely to change anytime soon, just as Bangkok's pavements or traffic are likely to change anytime soon, or the objectification of 'Thais' and generalizations on Thai behaviour in this forum.

Is is possible to refer to others without 'objectifying' them? If so, please let us know how it should be done. I will throw out some specific examples, and you can let us know the correct way to refer to those in question without 'objectifying' them.

1. The residents of Italy.

2. Those of African origin.

3. The residents of Los Angeles.

4. Chinese resident in the US.

5. The original inhabitants of Australia.

Obviously objectifying those people as Italians, Africans, Los Angelenos, Asian Americans, and Aborigines is wrong, so how should they be referred to? On a first name basis? Or is it rude to speak of them at all?

I never said I don't like it. I accept it. Doesn't mean I can't see it for what it is (no reason to check your analytical perspective at the border). And even if I cared enough not to like it, it wouldn't be enough to clear off, thank you very much.

Edited by Jingthing

OK, if you insist, go ask any thai if they think you are a farang. Tell me if there is one thai who says "no, you are not a farang".

Actually, I don't consider myself a "white" person in the US, but here I am a farang. I am not bothered by it and I moved here knowing the score, but I don't think this kind of generalization is very bright. I think it does reflect on the overall xenophobia and poor education system about anything outside Thailand in Thailand.

What kind of person do you consider yourself in the US -- purple? Your comments are a classic illustration of political correctness gone amuck.

What kind of person do you consider yourself in the US -- purple? Your comments are a classic illustration of political correctness gone amuck.

You assume I am a white person. Silly. Your post is a classic example of not reading posts you are dissing ... gone amuck.

Edited by Jingthing

Personaly I dont like the term I dont like being A FARANG same as the German French or the rest of the world other than a Thia. I constantly tell My lady her family and friends I AM ENGLISH and not the same as a german Ect I speak English I was born and brought up in ENGLAND How can you be more ENGLISH than that so I ask them Please say English man not FARANG I dont blame them its just how things are. But I do find it slightly offensive Things may change at some day in the future but it looks light years away in the meantime Forgive them for they know not what they say

Just as we will forgive you for not knowing how to properly punctuate your sentences.

OK, if you insist, go ask any thai if they think you are a farang. Tell me if there is one thai who says "no, you are not a farang".

Actually, I don't consider myself a "white" person in the US, but here I am a farang. I am not bothered by it and I moved here knowing the score, but I don't think this kind of generalization is very bright. I think it does reflect on the overall xenophobia and poor education system about anything outside Thailand in Thailand.

Spot on farang prince.

He bangs on about xenophobia and poor education. Should worry more about the over education that is given to minds too small to cope with it. This is the result!

Back to basics you over thinkers. Life was meant to be simple and fun, not full of hand wringing and squirming when in mid speach. Keep the PC in the states and other countries that seem hel_l bent on having as little fun in life as possible.

Life was meant to be simple and fun,

Now this is really advanced philosophy, is your middle name Plato?

I agree it is OK with me the way Thailand is and have said so many times. Jeez. Simple and easy, fine, but read the posts you are dissing, is that too much to ask? I guess so.

Edited by Jingthing

You assume I am a white person. Silly. Your post is a classic example of not reading posts you are dissing.

No, I don't assume anything other than the fact that you are an American. I have serious issues with political correctness in the US, because it interferes with common discourse. Race has become such a touchy subject in the US, that it has often become a barrier for free and open dialog between people of different races or ethnic groups. If you are a decent person, then that's all that matters...no matter what color you are. People who are prickly over labels are usually the first ones who use them. Quite amazing.

You can't act like race and racial tension does not exist, in the US, in Thailand, pretty much everywhere.

Another poster mentioned an educated Thai who sees Thailand and the rest of the world, Engliish speaking Farangland. Most of us here can't help but see that kind of thinking for what it is (poorly informed to put it politely), and no problem with enjoying the fun parts of living in Thailand and also being aware of its many oddities.

Edited by Jingthing

You assume I am a white person. Silly. Your post is a classic example of not reading posts you are dissing.

No, I don't assume anything other than the fact that you are an American. I have serious issues with political correctness in the US, because it interferes with common discourse. Race has become such a touchy subject in the US, that it has often become a barrier for free and open dialog between people of different races or ethnic groups. If you are a decent person, then that's all that matters...no matter what color you are. People who are prickly over labels are usually the first ones who use them. Quite amazing.

:o

Quite! Picture if you will mr PC has his wallet snatched in downtown bangkok by an Indian. BIB arrive! how does he describe him?

"er quick officer, he has just gone down there,"

BIB "what did he look like?"

Mr PC "a person of indeterminate southern asian appearance"???

NOT... he be squealing an Indian, as the important thing here is to convey to the BIB what the person looks like, because now it is hitting him financially and PC halts when it affects him personally.

Chill out and accept it. If you Jing Jing are now saying you are not white, why are you pitching into a debate about us honkeys?

You can't act like race and racial tension does not exist, in the US, in Thailand, pretty much everywhere.

I grew up in the Southwest United States, where Anglo, Hispanic and Indian cultures exist side-by-side. I've spent my entire adult life in the U.S. military and in American law enforcement. I dealt with race issues every day. Does racial tension exist in the US? Sure. But why should I allow that to rule me? I address people by their name or by "sir" or "ma'am." Oh yes, and I also refer to them as American (if that's what they are), not African-American, Mexican-American, American Indian or any of the other labels that people throw around all the time. Last time I checked, we all bleed the same color blood.

Edited by farang prince

We use it to mach the use that Thai's call all " White " people simple as that. When I was stationed there in the early "70's", I found the word was used in A hateful manner by the Thai men because their wemen where attracted to us both by size, money and the way we generaly treated them. And simple ingnorance, ie.. Most thought "black" people have tails and only one person could fit in an aircracft. Farang kee nok Foreang bird sXXt???? come on does that realy hert your feeling. The general lack of world knowlage in the general public schools isn't a great help as well, and maybe we "farang" need to suck it up and live with. Ask yourself: do you really want most Thai's to know about the "west". I think it would spoil Thailand and remove forever the true reason most of us Farang come here in the first place.

Good on you, Farang Prince. For all its PC, the US is indeed a very racist country, how else do you explain the huge percentage of African-Americans in prison versus their numbers? So being PC isn't doing a heck of alot of good there anyway. I agree the lack of PC can be a charming part of Thailand.

I have a serious question! Please experts out there!

What is the thai word for "caucasion"?

No offense mate, but if you are going to use the boldest of all bold types in a one line attempted knockout statement...you might want to learn how to spell "caucasian" correctly :D Disclaimer : My parents sent me to school, so I have a biased point of view on the matter :o

Good on you, Farang Prince. For all its PC, the US is indeed a very racist country, how else do you explain the huge percentage of African-Americans in prison versus their numbers? So being PC isn't doing a heck of alot of good there anyway. I agree the lack of PC can be a charming part of Thailand.

Jingthing, we are getting seriously off topic. But to respond, there is one thing that virtually all prison inmates share -- poverty. That is the common factor, not race. If you take a look at prison populations across the US, whites still make up the majority of inmates. And usually they are poor whites. Yes, there are a disproportionate percentage of blacks in prison. And they usually are poor blacks. The same can be said for Hispanics. To go to prison any more, you usually have to have committed a serious crime (most often violent), have more than one conviction, and have lousy defense attorneys (this is where the money kicks in). Of course, we also have too high a percentage of people in the US who are incarcerated for long sentences on drug offenses, especially in the federal lock-ups. That has created an overcrowding situation that is really dangerous for guards and inmates alike. I could go on and on about people who are in prison and why, but if you are accused of a crime and you don't have the money for a good defense lawyer, you are in a world of hurt, no matter what your race is.

Now, I promise to get off my soap box.

Good for you ! You don,t like it? Then go to another country.

From a Thai,s point of view it is GENERALLY not offensive.

You don,t like being called a FARANG.............be a tourist in another country you kno*head

I have a serious question! Please experts out there!

What is the thai word for "caucasion"?

No offense mate, but if you are going to use the boldest of all bold types in a one line attempted knockout statement...you might want to learn how to spell "caucasian" correctly :D Disclaimer : My parents sent me to school, so I have a biased point of view on the matter :D

:o

Well said!!

Any answer to that " meemiathai "

hahahahhahahahahahahhaha

" I have studied Thai off and on since 1980, including university courses, and have lived here for more than 16 years since first setting foot here in 1980. I say that not to brag, but to tell you that I know far more than a 'modicum' of Thai and am not naive. I can tell you that your interpretation of the word 'farang' is completely and utterly incorrect. Farang in and off itself is a neutral word. "

Hesus Rodriquez what a waste of good internet space! Actually someone knows how things are and people keep blabbing. Farang must love farang...

"Did you know that current internet stream would not leave notthing for anyone to stream if 10 million people would watch "LOST" LIVE at the same time on best DVD quality. Rest of us would have to wait until the program is over."

- Joke isn't joke until proven guilty. -

Location - British Indian Army Officer's Mess, somewhere in India

Time - Somewhere in the 1890's

Lt Vernon Carruthers at the bar, Colonel Nigel Ponsonby-Smallpiece CDM, VD & scars, WC & chain walks up to Carruthers.

Colonel -"Carruthers, it has come to my attention that used used the Hindi word 'mahout' when you were talking about that Indian chappy who looks after the elephant and drives him. We are English and not Johnny Foreigner, please use only English"

Carruthers - " But, Sir, what it the English word for 'mahout'?"

Colonel - "We don't have one so call him 'The Indian chappy who looks after the elephant and drives him'"

Carruthers - "Sir, that's a bit of a mouthful and as everyone knows what a 'mahout' is why not just call him that?"

Colonel - "Because it is not an English word and we English should always use English. Now where did I leave my cheroots?"

Carruthers -"Why are you using the Tamil word 'cheroot', Sir?"

Colonel - "Oh, I thought it was an English word because everyone uses it!"

Fast forward over 100 years and a few thousand miles to Bangkok -

Billy Jim Bob (an American) and Bruce (an Aussie) having a few beers at a bar.

BJB - "Did you see that crash a few minutes ago?"

Bruce - "You mean the farang on the motor-cy?"

BJB - "Do you mean the Estonian on the Honda Wave?"

Bruce - "I thought it was a Canadian on a Yamaha Mio."

BJB - "A Canadian?

Bruce - "Well he looked Canadian to me!"

To all posters who say use the word 'Caucasian' - before you came here, how many times in your everyday life did you refer to anyone as a 'Caucasian'? What is the difference, in appearance, between an Estonian and a Canadian? Wherever English speakers go, they foreign adopt words and that become part of the local expat dialect. Will the word 'farang' become part of the English language as 'mahout' has? Possibly!