Eee Pc From Asus

paulfr

Has anyone any experience with the new EeePC from Asus ?

A fellow at work has one and they are cute as can be.

But more important, they have full functionality, Linux Std,

XP compatible, All Flash memory, Built in Webcam, WiFi, 3 USB ports too.

7 inches long and weighing in at 2 pounds.

Great for those who carry a PC to work every day.

Any comments, good/bad impressions or experiences ?

Picked one up in Taipei for the GF couple of weeks ago. Very cute. White version is very girly go with the black one if they have them here in BKK yet.

Linux pre-installed was ok - useable but installed windows xp for her instead. I installed a full version of XP on the 4gb internal SSD and use a 8GB SD card for storage.

Not much space left after installing Windows on the internal drive but you could use something like nlite to slim the install down.

Bit of work required to install windows xp from a usb/sd card if you dont have a external usb cd/dvd drive.

Great for carrying around. Saw it in Paragon the other day for 11,900 baht. bit more expensive that Taiwan but not so much.

Head turner in starbucks.

if so, then I less mind 8GB, can just add with SD card...should be around the same price.

I am more familiar with windows then linux, so, might like also to change it.

After you install, how much memory left? i understand that is full xp you have.

the nlite version how much differ from the above? what parts are missing from the full version to make it smaller? and how much smaller is it?

the nlite version how much differ from the above? what parts are missing from the full version to make it smaller? and how much smaller is it?

nLite is an application program that allows you to slipstream (build) your own version of XP using your original XP CD and choose what you want or don't want installed. After nLite is done building it, it will then burn a CD with your 'new' version of XP. I've done it several times and it works nicely. I believe the smallest one I've done was around 256MB.

They've finally got the other colors in Panthip but for some bizarre reason, only the white model has the built in webcam.

Are you sure about that? Sounds like the other colours could be fake or copies then. Because I was playing with the black one in the asus store in Taiwan the other day and it has the webcam.

Not a fake... What you saw was the "surf" model... Slightly cheaper but no cam and more importantly the 512K Ram is soldered in and can not be upgraded... I bought the regular one and swapped out the 512K for a 2 GB... installed the light version of XP and Excel, Word, Skype, and Firefox... it took about 2gb of the 4 :>>> boots in 20 seconds!... sweet... I have not found the XP driver for the cam... The wifi, built in mic and speakers make skype works sweet!!!!... This is the perfect machine to throw in your backpack for kicking around Europe...

The 10" screen is a myth.... they have a regular laptop that will fill that spot... for about $900...

Here is the four models/colors available so far: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....amp;x=0&y=0

PS - I have the pearl white one and the ladies and Starbucks keep coming up to me and ask about it :o

Not a fake... What you saw was the "surf" model... Slightly cheaper but no cam and more importantly the 512K Ram is soldered in and can not be upgraded... I bought the regular one and swapped out the 512K for a 2 GB... installed the light version of XP and Excel, Word, Skype, and Firefox... it took about 2gb of the 4 :>>> boots in 20 seconds!... sweet... I have not found the XP driver for the cam... The wifi, built in mic and speakers make skype works sweet!!!!... This is the perfect machine to throw in your backpack for kicking around Europe...

The 10" screen is a myth.... they have a regular laptop that will fill that spot... for about $900...

Here is the four models/colors available so far: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....amp;x=0&y=0

PS - I have the pearl white one and the ladies and Starbucks keep coming up to me and ask about it :o

I am curious about the XP light versions you mention. Google only gives me articles written back in '04 about development for Thailand.

Thanks!

I have read many timelines detailing a higher rez screen for early 08..

800x480 is real lean, thats the same as my libretto has and thats 8 ish years ago..

Love the idea of a solid state drive system tho.. Been watching this for a while..

I am curious about the XP light versions you mention. Google only gives me articles written back in '04 about development for Thailand.

Thanks!

Sorry its called WinFLP... http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/sa/bene...ndamentals.mspx

Here is the just released 1/8GB version http://www.dynamism.com/eee-pc/specs.shtml

Again no 10" screen... it is still a myth....

Edited by sfokevin

Don't know where they got the info from regarding the 10" screen but ASUS have never said it. And the EeePC community claim it's a myth.

I saw an asus page listing products when I was following this last spring..

It had a roadmap that included a higher res screen and was the asus model spec but I guess was still loose. Will see what I can find.

Really a 800x480 does make me far less interested.. a 1280x720p makes it very appealing.. Price would not be the big driver then for me.

Really a 800x480 does make me far less interested.. a 1280x720p makes it very appealing.. Price would not be the big driver then for me.

Such a large screen would raise the price of this machine considerably...

If price is not a problem for you try the Vaio TZ... The screen is excellent - a jewel of a machine

They had one for sale in Computer City in Chiang Mai 2 weeks ago (3 or 4 days before its official release!). It was an excellent bit of kit. I went back the next day to buy it but it had gone. Now I'm back in the UK I've ordered one but delivery times are long.

If price is not a problem for you try the Vaio TZ... The screen is excellent - a jewel of a machine

I have actually been looking at the mini viao's.. tempting bit of kit and was on my shortlist.

However I am very keen to tinker around with the solid state disk idea that this has, I like the idea of fast boot times and a laptop as a cut down internet appliance (I actually tinkered around with XPe onto the libretto) and dont need / desire a full laptop for the on the road access. Plus IIRC the viao I wanted was near 90k baht which is 2500 - 3000 USD which, while price is not the main driver, does not stack nicely with the Eee PC which would (with a better screen) tick all of my boxes at presumably <1000 maybe even sub 700. What I meant when I said prie was not the main driver was them trying to keep the price under a 400 or under a 500 barrier with the screen was not a desire.

Small, light, fast boots, long battery, almost internet only appliance style laptop are the buttons it ticks but 800x480 is simply a deal killer for me.

Ohh and BTW.. I was thinking about this again last night.. And while I cant be 100% I think I saw the product spec sheets for the screen (and memory / etc) options in early 2008 on an asus japan webpage.. Also I have a feeling it may not have said 10" screen but said something like 'improved screen' or 'higher definition screen' some oddspeak that may not have meant what we hope / think it does.

It would not be too wild a speculation to assume that its in asus's interests to keep this obfuscated so as not to slow any current sales.

Don't know where they got the info from regarding the 10" screen but ASUS have never said it. And the EeePC community claim it's a myth.

Just having a google..

Seems ASUS Germany exec Holger Schmidt cearly has said a 10 inch model is coming..

Also seems a desktop simplified machine is in the works too..

http://www.dailytech.com/8GB+10+ASUS+Eee+P...article9660.htm

If you remember back to the very earliest announcements there was the 7xx series and the 10xx series right the way back in the start at computex Taiwan theres even some pics of larger hardware labelled 1001..

http://www.akihabaranews.com/en/news-14057...032212282893729

It wouldnt surprise me at all if the HW is under NDA at this point to preserve current sales and or that asus reps cannot confirm prospective down the pike hardware.

I am in no hurry anyway..

For those looking for an alternative with better resolution, though not in the same price range as the EEE, you might have a look at the Fujitsu u810 (another review here). I played around with one in the US and I was quite impressed. I personally would not attempt vista though, XP tablet edition is far better for this machine's specs imho.

The screen resolution is 60% greater than the EEE, running at 1024x600 instead of 800x480. It's also a touchscreen (with pen) and flips over for tablet mode. And of course it can run in portrait or landscape mode.

It's the smallest laptop I've ever seen with a 'real' keyboard, just 6.73" (W) x 5.24" (D) x 1.04 - 1.26" (H)

I've seen them going for $900 new and about $750 for refurbs. With an SSD drive they could be quite nice.

The processor on the Asus looks to be a bit more powerful, however.

I have actually been looking at the mini viao's.. tempting bit of kit and was on my shortlist.

However I am very keen to tinker around with the solid state disk idea that this has, I like the idea of fast boot times and a laptop as a cut down internet appliance (I actually tinkered around with XPe onto the libretto) and dont need / desire a full laptop for the on the road access. Plus IIRC the viao I wanted was near 90k baht which is 2500 - 3000 USD which, while price is not the main driver, does not stack nicely with the Eee PC which would (with a better screen) tick all of my boxes at presumably <1000 maybe even sub 700. What I meant when I said prie was not the main driver was them trying to keep the price under a 400 or under a 500 barrier with the screen was not a desire.

Small, light, fast boots, long battery, almost internet only appliance style laptop are the buttons it ticks but 800x480 is simply a deal killer for me.

I have the Vaio TZ - never use the bloody thing - excellent piece of kit but use my company laptop at work and biz travel and my Shuttle desktop at home.

I buy these bloody boy's toys with good intentions of using them while out and about or taking notes in a classroom but good intentions come to waste.

Looked at this in passing the other day, looked to me that there was a VGA output, several USBs, mic & headphones, plus modem + ethernet. So decent connectivity out of the box, but as others have noted the resolution is too small these days, even web sites are geared to 1024*768.

Regards

PS Does remind me of the Jornarda 820 {OS Windows CE} by HP from last century.

Edited by A_Traveller

The resolution is a killer for me too. I bought a new notebook just to replace an old one I had which only went to 800x600.

Other than that, as long as the eee is upgradable from a storage standpoint, it is very appealing.

Could you imagine how small everything would be if you had a higher resolution in 7"? What kind of resolution do you run on a 14" laptop? 1600+ x 1200+? My 14.4" laptop only goes to 1280 x 800. If I could put it to 1600 x 1200, it would be ok, but going higher than that I would think things would be getting too small.

A 1024 x 768 screen on a 7" laptop would have to use a lcd panel that would be capable of 2048 x 1526 on a 14" laptop. Seems like these would be very expensive.

Edited by jstumbo