"fifth Avenue New York Deli" Opening In Avenue Mall

Jingthing

I saw the signage for this new deli. What is this to be, does anyone know? A chain from the US? A chain from Thailand? A totally original place? Anything close to the real thing? One can hope, but as a real New York deli doesn't exist as yet in Thailand, expectations are low.

Lets all hope it isnt an american franchise - havent they been resposible for destroying the health of billions of unsuspecting sheeple throughout the world already?

Yeah, but who but Americans (New Yorkers actually) can do a decent corned beef/pastrami on rye with a pickle? Gimme a break! Bash us but don't bash us for DELI, kay?

BTW, I wouldn't get your hopes up. Odds are this is some kind of lame chain like the one in Bangkok. However, if it is possible to do this right in SE Asia (apparently there is a good New York deli at the Raffles in Singapore) I think they have a winning location.

One thing they do not need there are MORE coffee shops. There are even more going in, ridiculous.

This and a slice of New York cheescake will get you a heart attack (and almost worth it). Pastrami on rye from Carnegie Deli, New York:

post-37101-1195918177_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jingthing

I'm from Montreal and we invented smoked meat. This is big news! Now what about bagels???

Well if it is a decent deli, they would have decent bagels. But so far this is all fantasy.

Not going to argue about New York vs. Montreal, different styles, both great.

Edited by Jingthing

This and a slice of New York cheescake will get you a heart attack (and almost worth it). Pastrami on rye from Carnegie Deli, New York:

You just had to post that didn't you. That's one mean looking sandwich!

How much did that set you back in New York?

Lets all hope it isnt an american franchise - havent they been resposible for destroying the health of billions of unsuspecting sheeple throughout the world already?

Yeah, but who but Americans (New Yorkers actually) can do a decent corned beef/pastrami on rye with a pickle? Gimme a break! Bash us but don't bash us for DELI, kay?

BTW, I wouldn't get your hopes up. Odds are this is some kind of lame chain like the one in Bangkok. However, if it is possible to do this right in SE Asia (apparently there is a good New York deli at the Raffles in Singapore) I think they have a winning location.

One thing they do not need there are MORE coffee shops. There are even more going in, ridiculous.

Well, as a Bostonian who hates almost everything about New York, I say ... GIMMEE THAT NEW YORK DELI! :-) Boston has better pizza, MUCH better seafood, better drivers, and, of course, MUCH better sports teams. ;-) But ya gotta give it to NYC for those delis. Decent copies in Boston, for sure. But credit for the originals goes entirely to NYC! :-)

New York or a Chicago style Deli is awesome I am so ready for a killer corned beef sando or the Pastrami sounds good!!!.

That might do good in Pattaya. I think their are enough Farangs here that would eat there if it turns out to be good.

Hopefully it's a hit! :o

Many people eat half and take the rest home. They don't need to be that big, but they really are at the Carnegie. I went only one time with a Cuban friend, he got the pastrami, I got the corned beef, so we could each have both, plus I got New York cheesecake. (So yes, I ate the whole thing.) I was sick from it and ended up walking for miles and miles and miles all over Manhattan to walk off the calories. So like I said, no need to be that big.

The sandwiches at the Montreal smoked beef places are on a much more human scale. Got to hand it to the Canadians. Never had deli anywhere except New York or Montreal as good, (and I lived in Chicago for years but they have some special things of their own there).

Edited by Jingthing

If there is a new deli no doubt their price structure willbe similar to all the other restaurants in the avenue extortionate ! You can get a decent meal for what they charge for fast food! I have checked out most of them and none warrant a second visit!

If there is a new deli no doubt their price structure willbe similar to all the other restaurants in the avenue extortionate ! You can get a decent meal for what they charge for fast food! I have checked out most of them and none warrant a second visit!

If they could pull off decent deli, of course they would have to charge alot. I still think it will probably be crappy deli at also high prices, but we shall see. Even half as good as a good New York deli would be remarkable.

Yeah the price structure is high there, I imagine they are paying higher rents. Shenanigans has some good specials though, and there is a budget mass market place BKK Grill.

Based on the price structure of that new place for basic things like burgers, Fatboys Diner, I predict failure.

Edited by Jingthing

There's 2 men in Pattaya who I believe could make this happen:

Robert Davis of Slices Pizza/Platinum Motorbike (more likely).

Yeah right ... What a choice ... <deleted> Pizza or a <deleted> Motorbike.... Take your pick ... :o