Advertising Trucks

vickersvc10

Does anyone have ideas for getting rid of/controlling those awful advertising trucks? I live on Third Road and their noise drives me wild. Furthermore, I doubt very much that they are an effective form of advertising. I have complained in writing to the present mayor and his predeccesor and did not receive replies.

Maybe you could have thought about that before choosing a place to stay on 3rd road.

I live on the dark side of Pattaya (East of Sukhumvit) And even there we have those trucks.

Don't like them much either.. But then again i realize i am in Thailand and should get used to these kind of things.

If i had to complain about everything that is different to Holland, i would be complaining all day.

A pal of mine who has lived in Mexico says we haven't heard anything yet.

He predicts that as the few presently operating advertising trucks have got away with it, they will be followed by many, many more.

Apparently in Mexico they park at one end of the street then move on after 30 minutes or so to the other end to be replaced by a new truck. It goes on day and night.

The actual noise level is getting louder and louder too.

But this is Pattaya and the local residents seem to accept high levels of noise without complaint. Where else could motorbike owners use bikes in residential areas without effective mufflers. Where else would bars have several Televisions all blasting different channels plus a music system drowning out all possible conversation?

No point in complaining. Just learn to enjoy.

They are not a new phenomenon in Pattaya. There were pickups with loudhailers and signboards roaming around when I first lived here in the 80's. Usually they were advertising Thai boxing and the odd movie. Now they are touting bars, clubs and condo's.

The recent increase is due to the election. It's the same all over the country where you may find several pickups from different candidates crawling nose-to-tail through the streets. I think it will all assume more moderate levels after the country casts it's ballot.

It all seems pointless to us but is Thai-style subliminal advertising; it's a pity it wasn't sub-decibel!

These trucks tend to roam about at a slow speed, two going along together. This causes problems with traffic flow, and I use that term loosely.

However I have seen a new mode of this on 3rd and 2nd road. Three mini type vans. Can't comment on the noise factor though!

Anyone else seen them?

Thank you for your kind and considerate comments Jareddiving. When I moved into my house in 1992 Road 3 was a dirt track with virtually no traffic.

I was in Bangkok last weekend and did not encounter one noisy advertising truck. In fact I think that bangkok is a quieter place than Pattaya!

These trucks tend to roam about at a slow speed, two going along together. This causes problems with traffic flow, and I use that term loosely.

However I have seen a new mode of this on 3rd and 2nd road. Three mini type vans. Can't comment on the noise factor though!

Anyone else seen them?

They are "cube" advertising from our friends at Big Banner Company. You can book a whole cube or one side, which will get rotated on a daily basis. They have sound but only during the day, at night they are illuminated from within.

Yes sorry to say they were here when I first moved to Pattaya in 87.. Now there are even more.. It's not really the noise that annoys me so much but the fact they drive along at such a slow speed. They don't 'keep left' and Thai drivers seem unwilling to overtake them.. This causes long tailbacks and can potentially cause accidents... They are a blight.. and as for the 'new cube advertising' Really just another farang desperate to make money to support his life in Thailand.. Meanwhile reducing the quality of life of others.. City hall should ban all slow moving traffic to help alleviate the congestion problems.. Samlors, ancient motocyle+homemade sidecars and promo-trucks... Would like to think a farang would know better but guess ''money number one'' While they are at it why not half the ammout of baht buses too... Everytime I see the promo-trucks with their speakers blaring out I only wish I had a hand grenade.. :o