Yellow Tabien Bahn

Got the yellow book today at the Chumphon Ampur office, took almost three hours and cost ฿30.

Took me about the same amount of time (in BKK) but cost me nothing if I recall correctly. Anyway, it is time well spent.

• 1 month later...

The yellow book appears to be about as of much use as a chocolate tea pot.

If you are serious about Thailand then the Blue Book (and as Farangs your names are not going to be in it) and Chanott ti din (with your name(s) on it) are the definitive documents for property ownership. Full stop.

It saves you having to get letters confirming where you live (at some cost i might add) and also helps when applying for driving licence, once youve got the driving licence it also helps get lower price at places such as NONG NOOCH park 100 baht instead of 400 baht.

Wait - I see other posters saying that they were required to show their driver's license to get on the house register. But here you are saying that being on the house register helps with getting a DL. Which is it?

If you are serious about Thailand then the Blue Book (and as Farangs your names are not going to be in it) and Chanott ti din (with your name(s) on it) are the definitive documents for property ownership. Full stop.

It saves you having to get letters confirming where you live (at some cost i might add) and also helps when applying for driving licence, once youve got the driving licence it also helps get lower price at places such as NONG NOOCH park 100 baht instead of 400 baht.

Wait - I see other posters saying that they were required to show their driver's license to get on the house register. But here you are saying that being on the house register helps with getting a DL. Which is it?

No license for yellow book, BUT, you must be hansum. giggle.gif

No license for yellow book, BUT, you must be hansum. giggle.gif

You do not need a license to get on the house register. However, it is often asked for as it would normally list the same address you are trying to use for getting the yellow book. I had just updated my motorcycle license to my new address (very easy) so when I went for my yellow book it showed the same address. However, it is not a deal killer. If you do not have a driving license you can still get the yellow book. The District Office simply likes to see corroborating documents, if any.

No license for yellow book, BUT, you must be hansum.

You do not need a license to get on the house register. However, it is often asked for as it would normally list the same address you are trying to use for getting the yellow book. I had just updated my motorcycle license to my new address (very easy) so when I went for my yellow book it showed the same address. However, it is not a deal killer. If you do not have a driving license you can still get the yellow book. The District Office simply likes to see corroborating documents, if any.

My drivers license has an adress in khon kaen.My yellow book has an address in another province. Nothing to do with each other.

Im building a house and hopefully moving in soon. Is it easy enough to change the address on the yellow book?

Ive never actually lived in the address on my yellow book.

Would I go to the amphur at my new address or old?

No license for yellow book, BUT, you must be hansum.

My drivers license has an adress in khon kaen.My yellow book has an address in another province. Nothing to do with each other.

Im building a house and hopefully moving in soon. Is it easy enough to change the address on the yellow book?

Ive never actually lived in the address on my yellow book.

Would I go to the amphur at my new address or old?

You cannot change the address in your yellow book. The book is tied to the house, not you. You will need to get a new yellow book for your new house and have yourself registered in it. I believe this involves you registering yourself as having moved from your old house (the one with the yellow book) to your new one. I do not know how you would go about this. For Thais it is quite a simple procedure.

Per above, the yellow book lists which foreigners are registred and thus officially residing at an address. It is not tied to you but to the address.

Do you know if you have to tell the old amphur that you don't live there anymore and 'close' the yellow book, or give it back, before asking for a new yellow book in another province?

• 1 month later...

tabien ban is proof of address only, i have it but we dont need it for anything, so it is not worth it having it.

nor for hospital registration,police,administration etc etc .

if police or administration ask for your address you just say and give a copy of your wife tabien ban because you leave with her...thats it ! if you rent a house or leave in an apart hotel ,then a copy of the contract.

don't loose your time in getting that stupid book,nobody ask for it.

tabien ban is proof of address only, i have it but we dont need it for anything, so it is not worth it having it.

if police or administration ask for your address you just say and give a copy of your wife tabien ban because you leave with her...thats it ! if you rent a house or leave in an apart hotel ,then a copy of the contract.

Some guys need proof of address for stuff ''substantiate'' by their embassy or if lucky an immigration office. The yellow book does away with that nonsense and expense. coffee1.gif

• Like 1

Maybe no one asks you but to give this advice is wrong - there are many uses for the yellow book.
  • Like 1

Maybe no one asks you but to give this advice is wrong - there are many uses for the yellow book.

For starters, renewing a drivers license. smile.png

For starters, renewing a drivers license. smile.png

Applying for citizenship.

Accepted evidence of address for visa purposes.

Etc.

• Like 1

I would like to get a yellow tabien bahn for the condo unit I own in central Bangkok and I'm going nuts trying to figure out the requirements for my situation, which seems to be a bit different from the majority of posters. I'm hopelessly confused.

I am single, on a retirement extension (after working here for quite a few years, so no more work permit), and I own the unit in a relatively old condo in the center of town. I do not have a blue book for this unit; I had never thought about it until relatively recently and nothing was ever mentioned when I bought the property, so I assume no blue book was ever made for the unit as the Thai owners did not use it as their residence- they rented it out.

I asked the condo management to check with the khet office to see what I needed to do to get the yellow book and the answer they came back with gave me a headache- copies of this and that, certified translations of all kinds of documents certified by multiple agencies, and the name must match EXACTLY, and on and on. I really couldn't follow all the details. They were more than a bit taken aback by all the red tape, too.

So, am I correct in assuming that I need to get/establish a blue book for the condo unit FIRST, before I can get the yellow book? I am assuming that the blue book requirements are where the worst of the red tape comes in, as getting the yellow book seems to be relatively painless, based on what I have read on this forum.

Would anybody have any suggestions or recommendations of an agent who could handle all the red tape for me? I read that it is the property developer who usually does this but any property developer involvement with this place was back in the 80's, so I think that's out.

I guess a PM to me is the proper way to make a specific recommendation of agent/law firm/etc., and would be much appreciated.

Otherwise, information concerning the bureaucratic requirements, such as translation of passport (what has to be translated? who can officially do it? what certification stamps are needed? what government agencies need to be involved? etc.), and my name on the chanote (who can certify that it is the EXACT transliteration of the name in my passport, or whatever? etc.), do I really need my birth certificate? (as mentioned in one post)- I've never even seen my own birth certificate!, and on and on could be posted here for all.

Is there anybody who has been through all this for a condo unit and survived to tell the tale?

<snipped>

So, am I correct in assuming that I need to get/establish a blue book for the condo unit FIRST, before I can get the yellow book? I am assuming that the blue book requirements are where the worst of the red tape comes in, as getting the yellow book seems to be relatively painless, based on what I have read on this forum.

<snipped>

I also didn't get a blue tabien bahn when I bought my condo, so was in the same situation as you. Getting a replacement blue tabien bahn was relatively simple, I just had go to the police and report my tabien bahn lost, and with the police report and my condo title deed the land office for my district in Bangkok issued a replacement book (against a fee of 20 baht).

All the red tape come when trying to get the yellow tabien bahn, as that is when they have to establish that you are actually living in your condo. In my case I had to bring two witnesses who were interviewed for about 20 minutes until the officer were persuaded that I did in fact live in the condo. They also wouldn't issue the book on the spot, instead I had to come back a month later to pick up the book. There was no fee for the yellow tabien bahn.

It's been quite a few years now, so some of the details are a little hazy. I know that I did have to get the certified translation of my birth certificate at some point, but I am not sure if that was when I bought the condo or when I got the yellow tabien bahn (or maybe on both occasions?).

Sophon

Edited by Sophon
  • Like 1

<snipped>

<snipped>

I also didn't get a blue tabien bahn when I bought my condo, so was in the same situation as you. Getting a replacement blue tabien bahn was relatively simple, I just had go to the police and report my tabien bahn lost, and with the police report and my condo title deed the land office for my district in Bangkok issued a replacement book (against a fee of 20 baht).

All the red tape come when trying to get the yellow tabien bahn, as that is when they have to establish that you are actually living in your condo. In my case I had to bring two witnesses who were interviewed for about 20 minutes until the officer were persuaded that I did in fact live in the condo. They also wouldn't issue the book on the spot, instead I had to come back a month later to pick up the book. There was no fee for the yellow tabien bahn.

It's been quite a few years now, so some of the details are a little hazy. I know that I did have to get the certified translation of my birth certificate at some point, but I am not sure if that was when I bought the condo or when I got the yellow tabien bahn (or maybe on both occasions?).

Sophon

Got mine in 20 minutes, on the spot. whistling.gif ............................smile.png

Yes, a Blue Book needs to be established first. Sophon tells you how to go about doing that.

The documents I actually needed were as follows, although I took a lot of others with me just in case:

1. Passport and a copy of passport certified by the British Embassy and endorsed by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs;
2. Declaration of parents names, places of birth and citizenship certified by the the British Embassy and endorsed by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs;
3. Work Permit and a copy thereof;
4. Blue House Registration Book;
5. Son's ID card and son in person; (he acted as a witness to my residency and also as the home owner - in your case it would be simply a witness)

6. Wife's ID card and wife in person; (she acted as a witness to my residency - in your case it would simply be witness no. 2)
7. Two Passport photos of myself;
8. Thai driver's license and copy; (I had mentioned this in a previous visit so was asked to bring it along - foolish me)
9. Two witness statement forms (Thai language), one for my wife and one for my son, confirming they know me and that I live in the house. The forms are provided by the Registrar;
10. Personal declaration (Thai language), which is a question and answer style form. The form is provided by the Registrar.

I assume the documents would be the same for a condo. I am located in Prakanong but believe that other districts of Bangkok would be the same.

I would like to get a yellow tabien bahn for the condo unit I own in central Bangkok and I'm going nuts trying to figure out the requirements for my situation, which seems to be a bit different from the majority of posters. I'm hopelessly confused.

I am single, on a retirement extension (after working here for quite a few years, so no more work permit), and I own the unit in a relatively old condo in the center of town. I do not have a blue book for this unit; I had never thought about it until relatively recently and nothing was ever mentioned when I bought the property, so I assume no blue book was ever made for the unit as the Thai owners did not use it as their residence- they rented it out.

I asked the condo management to check with the khet office to see what I needed to do to get the yellow book and the answer they came back with gave me a headache- copies of this and that, certified translations of all kinds of documents certified by multiple agencies, and the name must match EXACTLY, and on and on. I really couldn't follow all the details. They were more than a bit taken aback by all the red tape, too.

Would anybody have any suggestions or recommendations of an agent who could handle all the red tape for me? I read that it is the property developer who usually does this but any property developer involvement with this place was back in the 80's, so I think that's out.

I guess a PM to me is the proper way to make a specific recommendation of agent/law firm/etc., and would be much appreciated.

Otherwise, information concerning the bureaucratic requirements, such as translation of passport (what has to be translated? who can officially do it? what certification stamps are needed? what government agencies need to be involved? etc.), and my name on the chanote (who can certify that it is the EXACT transliteration of the name in my passport, or whatever? etc.), do I really need my birth certificate? (as mentioned in one post)- I've never even seen my own birth certificate!, and on and on could be posted here for all.

Is there anybody who has been through all this for a condo unit and survived to tell the tale?

I was given a blank blue book when I bought a new build seaside condo but didn't use it as I had no interest in being registered upcountry. Later I moved to a second hand house in Bkk and was not given a blue book when we acquired it. The previous owners had lived in it before but had moved elsewhere and had been renting it to foreigners when we bought it. So I presume no one was registered there when we moved in. I took the the relevant documents to the district office and was registered as the householder in a brand new blue book without hassles and noone asked for the house's original blue book. It was a blue book because I am a PR. If you aren't., it will normally be a yellow book. I don't think there is any need to produce your own blue or yellow book, if no one is currently registered in the property. The district office will just issue a new one. The lawyer helped prepare the documents but I went to district office by myself and was surprised that it was quite quick and simple. My wife is not registered in my blue book because she didn't want to move from her existing registration where she is also householder.

Edited by Arkady

• 5 months later...

I hope my experience helps.

My spouse and myself are both non-Thais. Hub went to the district office first time, only to be given a telephone number to ring again. Don't expect them to speak any English. We figured out all the documents (as described in some posts above), and thought we could do it ourselves. BUT, we needed to have a Thai friend come along to translate. We definitely did not like troubling our friends, but it couldn't be done any way else. Our Thai friend needed also to bring along her ID, and house registration. So it's very formal.

It had to be done over two times, first time to submit documents, and second appointment to do some simple question and answer. Its like a verification of your identity. I thought they could have done it in one day! That meant our friend came along and had to spend 2 afternoons with us just mostly waiting around for that. :(

Later, the officer explained that if the foreigner could speak and read all the thai document, there was no need for a Thai friend to come along. I don't know how true is that. But following their guide, the process was fuss free and we completed it and got ourselves a yellow tabian baan. :)

Thinking back on this, I really felt this was an unnecessary process for foreigners who invest in real estate here. The yellow tabian should have been given during transfer at land office. :/

• 1 month later...

Does your property need a blue tabian bahn before you can get a yellow one?

I am close to finishing the construction of a small B&B property in north Phuket, built on long-leased land which is leased from the land-owner in my name only. I will also live at this property. Since it's a new build, no tabian bahn has yet been issued, but in a few days I will go to the amphur to register the new address and get the tabian bahn book.

Is it feasible for the amphur to issue a yellow tb directly, or do I need to get a blud tb issued first? (If so, that blue tb would probably cite my Thai ex-wife, but only I will live at this new property.

Simon

• 2 weeks later...

Per above, the yellow book lists which foreigners are registred and thus officially residing at an address. It is not tied to you but to the address.

Do you know if you have to tell the old amphur that you don't live there anymore and 'close' the yellow book, or give it back, before asking for a new yellow book in another province?

Yes, you have to sign out of the first district before they will issue you a new tabien baan in the new district.

I hope my experience helps.

My spouse and myself are both non-Thais. Hub went to the district office first time, only to be given a telephone number to ring again. Don't expect them to speak any English. We figured out all the documents (as described in some posts above), and thought we could do it ourselves. BUT, we needed to have a Thai friend come along to translate. We definitely did not like troubling our friends, but it couldn't be done any way else. Our Thai friend needed also to bring along her ID, and house registration. So it's very formal.

It had to be done over two times, first time to submit documents, and second appointment to do some simple question and answer. Its like a verification of your identity. I thought they could have done it in one day! That meant our friend came along and had to spend 2 afternoons with us just mostly waiting around for that. sad.png

Later, the officer explained that if the foreigner could speak and read all the thai document, there was no need for a Thai friend to come along. I don't know how true is that. But following their guide, the process was fuss free and we completed it and got ourselves a yellow tabian baan. smile.png

Thinking back on this, I really felt this was an unnecessary process for foreigners who invest in real estate here. The yellow tabian should have been given during transfer at land office. :/

Later, the officer explained that if the foreigner could speak and read all the thai document, there was no need for a Thai friend to come along. I don't know how true is that.

True. I got my tabien baan by myself.

Does your property need a blue tabian bahn before you can get a yellow one?

I am close to finishing the construction of a small B&B property in north Phuket, built on long-leased land which is leased from the land-owner in my name only. I will also live at this property. Since it's a new build, no tabian bahn has yet been issued, but in a few days I will go to the amphur to register the new address and get the tabian bahn book.

Is it feasible for the amphur to issue a yellow tb directly, or do I need to get a blud tb issued first? (If so, that blue tb would probably cite my Thai ex-wife, but only I will live at this new property.

Simon

If no Thai or permanent resident is to be registered at the address, only a yellow book will be issued. If a Thai or PR will also be registered, yellow and blue books should be issued. No need to have a blue book issued just to get a yellow book. Remember that they are doing this because they are obliged by law to register all Thais and foreigners living in their districts. Refusing to register you because no Thai or PR is registered at that address is not logical.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I have a question regarding registration of my name on a yellow house book.

My situation is the following:

- moved into condo 4 months ago after signing contract in my name and gf’s

- recently married

- want to apply for finance for car. Have been told that I need to show house book registration

- Baby due late this year

- We are moving into a new rented house in a month or 2

I told my landlord about the above situation and he kindly gave me a power of attorney form to allow me to be registered on the yellow book of his condo building. He said I can go to the amphur office and fill out a form and get my name registered.

Im raising this thread to ask:

- if I go and register at the condo which will help me get car finance and then if I move to a new house, is it in my best interest to then register my name and the wifes at the new house- knowing that we have a baby coming. Do we then register the baby at this address?

- My wifes name is obviously registered at mumas house book. If she insists that our baby is registered at mumas house book is this ok legally? My name will be on the birth certificate. Thus does it matter?

- I assume there is no point also registering my wifes name at the condo this week as we will be moving out

I’m obviously trying to look after the best interests of myself and the baby- and my wife. Thus any comments to assist me are appreciated as I don’t fully understand the purpose or legalities of the house book registration.

thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Just register at your wife's mother's house same as your wife .. seemingly you don't have to reside there.

Are you now married at the Amphur or just Buddhist ceremony? If amphur then ok for when the baby is born if not officially married then you will have to legalize the baby so that you are seen as the father.

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by casualbiker

• 2 weeks later...

Since when is the residence certificate from Jomtien Immigration free ?

It is free in as much as there is no official charge. If you are prepared to brazen it out they will issue it for zero payment, but it may take a week or three.

If you pay 200B you will get it the next day (sometimes the same day), and if you pay 300B you will get it in seconds with a smile.

Either way you will never get a receipt for this totally unofficial payment. As long as this continues Thailand will never be able to say that it has left the ranks of the corrupt third world and I'm surprised that the NCPO haven't targeted this cheap and demeaning scam for reform.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Obtained my Yellow House book (Tabian Ban) today in Roi Et.

I live in rented accommodation and took the following documents;

Original Documents.

1. Passport.

2. Tabian Ban. (House owners)

3. Rental Agreement (if applicable)

Copies.

1. Passport Home Page.

2. Passport page of current Visa or Extension

3. Rental Agreement (if applicable)

4. Tabian Ban (House owners)

5. Certificate of Residence (Police)

6. Translation of Passport Home Page into Thai.

7. Map of address. (Google maps)

8. ID Card (House owner)

9. 2 x Passport Photos.

10. Driving Licence.

The homeowner will need to sign, so in this case my landlady had to attend.

Notes:

a) I obtained my Certificate of Residence from Roi Et Police Station when I registered my address there.

B) I did my own translation of my Passport, set out landscape and with photo just identical to the Passport layout (no problems)

c) Copy of Driving Licence is useful because your name has already been translated in Thai.

d) Second Passport photo was for the application form.

Walked in at 0900, walked out with Yellow Tabian Ban at 1030......................no charge.