Don't Use Cat Telecom

patsfangr

Hi Guys!

I want to recall my previous recommendation for using CAT Telecom for your internet service. They have recently gone to hel_l!

About 2 weeks ago, service went out completely one morning. I drove to the office to see what was going on. They told me that it was out all over this area for CAT, and that Bangkok was working on it. It was out for a total of over 5 hours that day. Since it was the first significant outage that had occured with them, I let it go.

Over the next 2 weeks, I had several occurences of very poor download speed (less than 400), which also had not occured for any extended period of time during my first 2 months with them.

Yesterday, I had another complete outage. I tried to get to the internet at 7:45. Service was not restored until after 1:00 PM, when their Tech Services called, and had me shut off my modem. They called back about 30 minutes later, and it was working again.

Today, it was OK early in the morning. However, about an hour ago, the download speed dropped under 300 kbps. I basically can't connect to any international sites. The only information from Tech Services is, "We are having trouble today."

The service I have costs 2600 baht per month!! NO FLICKING WAY that I am going to continue to pay that, for this level of service! I'll go back to the TT&T dial up land line that I had, and/or the Sierra Wireless card. Their speed SUCKS, but it costs far less than 1000 baht per month. At least I'll be getting what I pay for.

If there's some positive change in this, I'll report it here. But, until then, I strongly suggest that you avoid CAT Telecom.

Where abouts do you live Patsfangr?

I have been with CAT for nearly 2 years now, and whilst there are occassional problems they seem to be considerably less than friends on TT&T, TOT, or GPRS/Edge. I was playing golf yesterday so didn't notice. I am online most of the day, every day, and can't remember the last time we had a significant outage that wasn't cured by rebooting my router.

I am on the same package as you, and whilst there are cheaper alternatives available I don't mind paying a little extra for the added reliability that I have experienced.

I am in South Pattaya btw, about 1km from the CAT office, maybe this is a factor?

TOT is not very good i pay 1000 per month and it drops in and out all the time.

could be a crap router, i have the TOT one.

But TIT.

cant be bothered with it, just one more thing to get taken out for bad service.

what's new .

Going back to Loxinfo, dial up using the pre payed cards.

Where abouts do you live Patsfangr?

I have been with CAT for nearly 2 years now, and whilst there are occassional problems they seem to be considerably less than friends on TT&T, TOT, or GPRS/Edge. I was playing golf yesterday so didn't notice. I am online most of the day, every day, and can't remember the last time we had a significant outage that wasn't cured by rebooting my router.

I am on the same package as you, and whilst there are cheaper alternatives available I don't mind paying a little extra for the added reliability that I have experienced.

I am in South Pattaya btw, about 1km from the CAT office, maybe this is a factor?

I live near the east end of Nernplubwarn. CAT recently set up a "relay station" in an apartment building about 100 meters from my house. I had the line activated just after that happened.

As I said in the OP, I had no significant problems for the first 2 months. The outages, and speed drops, have only occured during the past couple of weeks. But, my point is that, at 2600 baht per month, I am not interested in excuses or explanations. If, for any reason, they can't consistently provide the service specified in the contract (2000kbps download), without frequent total outages, they LOWER THE PRICE to a number consistent with the service provided.

Like you, I am willing to pay that large fee for SUPERIOR SERVICE - DEPENDABILITY AND CONSISTENT HIGH SPEED. If I'm not getting any better than what I can get with TT&T dial up, or Sierra Wireless, I'm DEFINITELY NOT paying 2600 baht per month!

You will very rarely get a 2 meg download speed, the speed quoted on the package you buy is the MAXIMUM down/upload speed. Mine generally runs at anything from 1,200 to 1,700 kbps download, and 6-800 upload (more often at the higher end), which is pretty good for a 2000/1000 line.

TOT is not very good i pay 1000 per month and it drops in and out all the time.

could be a crap router, i have the TOT one.

But TIT.

cant be bothered with it, just one more thing to get taken out for bad service.

what's new .

Going back to Loxinfo, dial up using the pre payed cards.

I use the TOT 700 baht service and TOT modem and have had no real problems over th last 1 year, except the odd slowness at peak times or when htere's been an international fibre optic cable cut and then everyone's in the same boat.

You will very rarely get a 2 meg download speed, the speed quoted on the package you buy is the MAXIMUM down/upload speed. Mine generally runs at anything from 1,200 to 1,700 kbps download, and 6-800 upload (more often at the higher end), which is pretty good for a 2000/1000 line.

I have TT&T and the service is excellent. 1273 Download and 473 Upload. You need to checkout these things before you purchase property. I only pat 845 Baht per month. Excellent service, but it all depends on where you live.

Barry