Australian Marriage To Thai

Hi All,

could really use some advice from any Aussies here who have married their Thai partner in AUS.

Basically im really confused on where to start with registering etc etc.

Have gone onto the Aus gov site for Deaths,Birth Marriages and have the forms printed and ready.

basically i want the Marriage done in AUS to save the hassle with doing it over in Thailand (although the actually wedding will most likely be done in Thailand)

would really appreciate to hear from anyone who has gone thru this - gf goes back to Thailand end of Jan 08' so its rather urgent.

Hi All,

could really use some advice from any Aussies here who have married their Thai partner in AUS.

Basically im really confused on where to start with registering etc etc.

Have gone onto the Aus gov site for Deaths,Birth Marriages and have the forms printed and ready.

basically i want the Marriage done in AUS to save the hassle with doing it over in Thailand (although the actually wedding will most likely be done in Thailand)

would really appreciate to hear from anyone who has gone thru this - gf goes back to Thailand end of Jan 08' so its rather urgent.

If your TGF is on a tourist visa you may be able to get married on that before she has to return to Thailand. She would then apply for a spouse visa in Bangkok.

The other alternative is to apply for a financee (visa 300 ) in Bangkok and if successful get married in Australia.

Finally you could register your marriage at the local Amphur and apply for a spouse visa. It is quite easy.

You can still have the Buddhist ceremony in Thailand.

You may have to see a "marriage celebrant" if you get married in Australia, they are in the Yellow pages of the phone book.

Down load a NOIM (notice of intent to marry) fill it in, then take it to a celebrant/registry office to have it signed and for them to verify the requirements. You will need a certified copy of this if you are going to apply for a Prospective Marriage Visa.

You need to act now...

There is no problem getting married on a tourist visa, I married my wife in Oz last May while she was on a tourist visa.

You have to complete the Notice Of Intention to Marry at least one month before the wedding date.

Celebrants are busy at this time of the year so it may be hard to get one, they will have all the forms you need.

She will need her passport and a stat dec to say she is free to marry. However your celebrant will advise on the requirements.

Once married you are legally married and a Thailand wedding is not required but it would be good face to have a ceremony in Thailand for your partners family.

You can get celebrants from the net as well, they cost from $350 upwards.

thanks for all the responses.

im gather that the Marriage part will be simple.

Its the Spouse VISA thats a little more challenging.

Yes it is...

You will need the marriage extract (not the wedding certificate) as part of the Spouse Visa application, but that alone is not enough, you will still have to prove the ongoing and genuine relationship.

I am waiting for a decision on my wifes application at this time.

You need to act now...

There is no problem getting married on a tourist visa, I married my wife in Oz last May while she was on a tourist visa.

You have to complete the Notice Of Intention to Marry at least one month before the wedding date.

Celebrants are busy at this time of the year so it may be hard to get one, they will have all the forms you need.

She will need her passport and a stat dec to say she is free to marry. However your celebrant will advise on the requirements.

Once married you are legally married and a Thailand wedding is not required but it would be good face to have a ceremony in Thailand for your partners family.

You can get celebrants from the net as well, they cost from $350 upwards.

Just a correction here....you will need to LODGE the NOIM at least one month before the wedding date.

gburns57au

I take it where you were able to marry in AUS whilst she was on a Tourist Visa, means that her visa did not have any conditions attached, such as no further stay, or no residence etc.

I was told recently (by AUS IMM) that virtually all Thai and Filipino female Tourist Visa's now have the strict conditions attached!

Edited by fishhooks

gburns57au

I take it where you were able to marry in AUS whilst she was on a Tourist Visa, means that her visa did not have any conditions attached, such as no further stay, or no residence etc.

I was told recently (by AUS IMM) that virtually all Thai and Filipino female Tourist Visa's now have the strict conditions attached!

I married my wife while she was on a 12 ME visa so the NFS condition wasnt on it, however my friend married his while she was on a basic 3 month visa with an NFS on it...

You can marry them but you cant extend the visa with an NFS condition on the basis of marriage. Neither can you apply for a more substantial visa while you are on a NFS visa

Edited by gburns57au

If you marry in Thailand is your marriage legally recognised in Australia?

Yes your marriage is recognised by the Australian authorities. You receive two documents in Thai. You then can get them translated. You each receive an identical numbered document at the Amphur office.

I'm still not quite understanding, (Am I vague?) the requirement "OR NOT" of having a separate "Translater" at the Amphur Marriage registration!

My wife speaks fluent English so I'm wondering what this extra Translater will do (If infact they are required)?

If someone is required, fair enough, but I don't want to waste time turning up without one, if needed!

I'm still not quite understanding, (Am I vague?) the requirement "OR NOT" of having a separate "Translater" at the Amphur Marriage registration!

My wife speaks fluent English so I'm wondering what this extra Translater will do (If infact they are required)?

If someone is required, fair enough, but I don't want to waste time turning up without one, if needed!

You will require an interpreter so you can understand the questions put to you by the Amphur officer.

If your wife to be can translate for you that may suffice. All questioning is carried out in Thai. I would check with the Amphur to make sure, they may require a third party.