Success Story

happylarry

While reading a sad topic about "farang man marrying a working girl and losing house and land" I noticed an input from "manchester" drawing attention to the fact that we only ever see the disaster stories.

So I thought I would start this topic and see where it goes.

July 2004 I retired to the island of Koh Samui, then unfortunately in August 2004 I became very ill with an extremely bad chest infection. I booked myself into one of the local international hospitals for a couple of nights until I got over the worst. Anyway I had the most gorgeous nurse to look after me on the first day and I could not stop thinking about her the rest of the time I was in there, so much so that when I was discharged I went looking for her and asked her out, not expecting her to say yes, but she did.

We ended up living together for two and a half years and then got married in Febuary this year.

The term "soul mates" does not come close. We enjoy life together so much, like all the same things ie...food...films...music...dancing...and laugh...we cry because we laugh so long sometimes. We have a house in Samui but are moving up to Nong Ki in Isaan next year, where my wife already has three rye of land that we are going to build a small house on.

When I got divorced after 28 years of a reasonably happy marriage in UK I never dreamed that I could find happiness like this, and for those of you that look for the worst....She was not married before, has no kids and has made it clear to all her family that they are not in for a free ride.

I truly believe that I could not find anyone that I would rather spend the rest of my life with.

If there are any residents of Nong Ki reading this and want to get together some time for a drink after I move up there then get in touch.

Apologies for such a long topic. Happy Larry

...So I thought I would start this topic and see where it goes...

:o

Welcome to ThaiVisa, Larry, and thank you for your upbeat post.

Perhaps like with newspapers, on ThaiVisa often only bad news, ie problems and such, get reported. I am sure there is a great majority of happily married farang in Thailand without the least problem or worry.

Congratulations on your having found the love of your live, and best wishes.

--

Maestro

Yes, it is nice to hear from someone who is happy. And you will get the naysayers and the doom predictors, but never mind them. Life is to be enjoyed while you've got it. Good luck to you and your wife.

BTW, perhaps this would be better off in the general forum as it doesn't actually have much to do with housing or land ownership? Up to you, let us know if you'd like it moved :o

While reading a sad topic about "farang man marrying a working girl and losing house and land" I noticed an input from "manchester" drawing attention to the fact that we only ever see the disaster stories.

July 2004 I retired to the island of Koh Samui, then unfortunately in August 2004 I became very ill with an extremely bad chest infection. I booked myself into one of the local international hospitals for a couple of nights until I got over the worst. Anyway I had the most gorgeous nurse to look after me on the first day and I could not stop thinking about her the rest of the time I was in there, so much so that when I was discharged I went looking for her and asked her out, not expecting her to say yes, but she did.

We ended up living together for two and a half years and then got married in Febuary this year.

The term "soul mates" does not come close. We enjoy life together so much, like all the same things ie...food...films...music...dancing...and laugh...we cry because we laugh so long sometimes. We have a house in Samui but are moving up to Nong Ki in Isaan next year, where my wife already has three rye of land that we are going to build a small house on.

When I got divorced after 28 years of a reasonably happy marriage in UK I never dreamed that I could find happiness like this, and for those of you that look for the worst....She was not married before, has no kids and has made it clear to all her family that they are not in for a free ride.

I truly believe that I could not find anyone that I would rather spend the rest of my life with.

If there are any residents of Nong Ki reading this and want to get together some time for a drink after I move up there then get in touch.

Not a long topic at all - I enjoyed reading it.

Good luck to you and your wife for the move oop north and for your future together.

Excellent story, Larry, thanks for sharing.

Don't blame you for thinking about being laughed at, considering the nature of some of the posters here - but I think you have already discovered that there are a great number (if not a majority) of members who will appreciate your contribution.

My Thai wife has for over twenty years been my complete sweet dream

So good-so loyal and so honest.

The best person I ever met in ths world.

I love her to bits and am completely depemdant on her since we moved to live in Thailand

She is now over 40 but to me still the most beautiful woman I ever saw.

I am so glad that I found a true love

I have no worris regarding Thai laws-what is in her name is mine also

Great to hear some real nice tales for a change.

Good luck to you both in your move North..and long may your love blossom.

I'd agree that there ae plenty of success stories, it's just that you don't here about them. The good stories are the one's that attract curiosity, so a story like, I met "Lek" 10 years ago, and I'm still with her and I'm very happy never get published. It would be interesting, to actually see how many TV posters actually class there relationship as a failure.

Personally, I'm pretty happy with my lot so far, nearly 5 years and just the usual ups an downs that impact upon any relationship. I'd say I'm neither a success or a failure, but just enjoing a pretty normal life.

Hi Larry,

I'm sure your marriage is going to be all right. I say that because you and your wife share a lot in commom. The point that she was not a bar scene is elevated your chance of success in marriage to the top 10%, as about 90 % failure.

Having personel known 3 mixed couples ( two Americans with 2 Thai wife, one American with Vietnamese wife) since the late 60's. They are still a couple today, except one lost Thai wife to cancer about 10 yr. ago.

All three American husband found their wives through their work, and field trip ( Peace Corps), which is nice.

Congrates !

Being married to him, it's more than I had hoped the marriage would be. We got married when we were both in the early 20's.

My husband (American) and I(thai), we are similar in age, come from a similar background and education, so I think those are some of the reasons we get along so well. We don't sweat on the small stuffs and we work out the big stuffs, even if it's just to agree to disagree. We both understand that our marriage is about more than just each of us individually but about us as a team.

There are many obstacles ofcourse, like… at times I always have to bite my tongue, he knows EVERY thing!!!!!!!!!! Some times he can also get on my nerves,….with his sleeping habits (is there a bed larger than a california king out there?), or those stupid ball games he is always watching,etc. I have bad habits also and I'm sure he could make a long list too.

Difficulties happen at times but that's expected when you share your home, your life, your past/present/future with another person, but those can all be forgiven when the love is there. I love him, respect him, and can't imagine my life without him and I am glad I married to my best friend. Especially on the bad days, those are when I truly understood what it meant and meant what I said when I said I do. It's been 21 years already with no end in sight...and we are all still changing and adapting to each other.

You married a nice, decent, professional girl not a prostitute, that's the answer. You sound like a really good guy and she saw that in you. May your relationship continue to prosper :o

Thanks for all the good wishes contained in the many positive replies this topic has received.

To answer the question about where Nong Ki is....about 45 minutes south of Nakhon Ratchasima (Korat) in Bururam province. Very quiet place. I dont know if there are any other expats living there already.

Keep the replies coming please...I'm enjoying reading them.

Larry