Vientiane Laos for Thai Visa

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes

Since it's a Thusrday you should be ok. But you will need to rush all the way (no time for breakfast).

Yes that was my thinking to . . but i will try now to check with bus company if i can change to one earlyier bus .

The boarder checkpoint is open from 0600 morning correct ?

Seven for the Lao visa.

Isee...did check my bus company now...my current bus is the only with VIP seats that day. . so i still taking it. . and yes it will be a rush . .hopefully not so manny pepole at the boarder at 0800 . . or ? . . if i just can fix with the laos visa under 1h im should be fine. . .taking taxi directly to the consulate at the boarder. .all papers done before entering. . .

he got the visa and then we walked straight through... (no need to get a stamp in the passport once you get the visa on arrival)

Good luck!

A.

No need to get a 30 day entry stamp for Laos if you get the "Visa on Arrival".. Really???? If you did not get a stamp "in" what did the Lao immigration officer do when you wanted to leave?

They now do the Lao entry stamp when they do the visa.

It's been reported before in this topic.

Thank you for the clarification, I get my Lao visa in Khon Kaen and still have to "stamp in" at the border

For those who fly, what is your travel plan? Morning or evening flight? I was advised to get the Laos visa in bkk to save time at the border, and because you can get a bus from the bus station in udon directly to Vientiane for about 200b? Which will not let u on if u dont already have the visa as they do not stop at the border, just let people off to cross the border then directly back on bus and continue to Vientiane. I need to go by 23 Jan 2009, should i book now or later?

Any one can verify that?

Just got back from a visa run to Vientiene, all quite effortless. Flew Bkk-Vientiene on Thai, got my Laos visa at Vientiene airport, 1500baht. The new Thai embassy is not far from the old one. Quite a queue on the Monday when I applied. Usual long queue when collecting on the Tuesday, no shade so we all sweated "on the sunny side of the street."

I have just returned from laos, after bieng unsure weather they would follow in pennangs footsteps by stamping "not to return" and am happy to say i appllied for and recieved a Tourist x 2 visa!

i did not meet anyone who was refussed or had any problems!

Now this is my first Tourist x 2 so ill presume ill get

arrived back yesterday and got 60 days

then top up at jontiem 30 days

then cambodia border 60 days (for double entry)

then top up at jontiem 30 days

then ill just do 2 x border runs keping1 left for plan b thats 60 days

so in theory thats 8 months sorted!

now if i have added this wrong please let me know, as i say it is my first double entry!

cheers chris :D

You are right on the money. :o

JUst come back yesterday 4.2.09 double entry no probs!

Any information for traveling alone (from Bangkok) w/o the visa tour services? Do i save more if i travel with this agencies..? 'Is this place very crowded?

Just about everything in this topic is about doing it on your own. From what I have heard you don't save anything by going with a tour company.

You can go by bus or train to Nong Kai and then get one of various modes of transportation to the bridge.

It can be very crowded on Mondays which is a day the tour companies show up.

It has gotten better since they moved and now have a number system.

My advise is to travel the day before an spend the night in Vientiane and be at the consulate by about 8 the next morning or before.

Have a look back through this topic you will find lots of good info. Including a link to download the visa application.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the message. I'm abit confused, I think it's still a submit visa application today (and get visa tomorrow) - right? I'd read somewhere that they do application in the morning, and receive their visas in the afternoon. Than the website says 2 days (which means if I go on Thursday, I can't get the visa on Friday... but Monday, next week?

My plan is to get a train, arrive in Nongkhai before 6AM. Cross over to Vientiane, rush to the Embassy to submit my application (Is this possible?)

As a Malaysian, I understand that I don't need to pay for a lao/ thai tourist visa (If we have to pay now, can someone please let me know?). How about non-immigrt B visa, is the fee applicable to malaysians?

Thanks for the message. I'm abit confused, I think it's still a submit visa application today (and get visa tomorrow) - right? I'd read somewhere that they do application in the morning, and receive their visas in the afternoon. Than the website says 2 days (which means if I go on Thursday, I can't get the visa on Friday... but Monday, next week?

My plan is to get a train, arrive in Nongkhai before 6AM. Cross over to Vientiane, rush to the Embassy to submit my application (Is this possible?)

As a Malaysian, I understand that I don't need to pay for a lao/ thai tourist visa (If we have to pay now, can someone please let me know?). How about non-immigrt B visa, is the fee applicable to malaysians?

You apply the morning of one day and get it back the next afternoon (that's 2 days by embassy parlance). I would not try the rush across the bridge thing on a Thursday morning (busy day) because if you were to get there to late and were turned away you would be applying on Friday. Also trains are known to run late.

You only have to pay 300 baht (1500 baht for most others) for the Lao visa on arrival which is the only break you get since you are Malaysian. Don't forget you need a photo for this.

Edit: You will get a free visa at the consualte. Link: http://www.mfa.go.th/web/2482.php?id=3090

You only have to pay 300 baht (1500 baht for most others) for the Lao visa on arrival which is the only break you get since you are Malaysian. Don't forget you need a photo for this.

You will pay the normal visa fee at the Thai consulate. A non-b visa is 2000 baht.

I was under the impression that all ASEAN citizens gained free entry into Laos. It's free entry for Filipinos...Malaysians must pay?

I don't see Malaysia on the list.

The Philippines is though.

Also there is ASEAN agreement for visas. There are only agreements between countries. For example Maylaysia and Thailand have no bilateral agreement so Malaysians are on the visa exempt entry list. If a Malaysian enters from Malaysia across a border they get 30 days because that was written in the new rules but if they cross from Laos they will only ger 15 days.

Here's a paragraph taken directly from the ASEAN website: ASEAN

ASEAN: Visa-Free Travel

This arrangement, for all ASEAN citizens, has been in use for some years now. It consists of waiving visa requirements for travel within ASEAN. In some special ports of entry, such as the Bangkok International Airport, special lanes have been set up for ASEAN passport holders. Some countries outside ASEAN, such as Laos, are extending the same privilege to ASEAN citizens.

In the above paragraph they state that Laos is outside ASEAN, yet they carry the Lao flag at the top of the home page and claim 10 member nations.

Malaysian Ministery of A Foreign Affairs: http://www.kln.gov.my/?m_id=55

Laos:

Entry Requirements : Visa Required

Length of Stay Without Visa : 30 days

Enquiries for Application : Embassy of Lao's People's

Democratic Republic in Kuala Lumpur

Remarks : All types of passports (Dipplomatic,Official and Ordinary) are allowed to enter without a visa for 30 days as of 1 July 2004.

This arrangement, for all ASEAN citizens, has been in use for some years now. It consists of waiving visa requirements for travel within ASEAN. In some special ports of entry, such as the Bangkok International Airport, special lanes have been set up for ASEAN passport holders. Some countries outside ASEAN, such as Laos, are extending the same privilege to ASEAN citizens.

In the above paragraph they state that Laos is outside ASEAN, yet they carry the Lao flag at the top of the home page and claim 10 member nations.

It never happened. Your girl friend gets into Thailand, Laos and Cambodia on agreements.

All there is bilateral agreements between some countries.

See this for info on the different types of entries for Thailand: http://www.mfa.go.th/internet/document/ChartVisa.pdf

MFA website was down earlier so I couldnt get info. You GF gets a free visa for Thailand because of another agreement.

Link: http://www.mfa.go.th/web/2482.php?id=3090

It never happened. Your girl friend gets into Thailand, Laos and Cambodia on agreements.

All there is bilateral agreements between some countries.

See this for info on the different types of entries for Thailand: http://www.mfa.go.th/internet/document/ChartVisa.pdf

MFA website was down earlier so I couldnt get info. You GF gets a free visa for Thailand because of another agreement.

Link: http://www.mfa.go.th/web/2482.php?id=3090

Well it's pretty baffling and wouldn't be so sure, because check out the list that the Lao Consulate in Bangkok puts out on their website:

visa fees for Laos

This is probably where you picked up the 300 baht fee info for Malaysians.

But...

on the same list we see a visa fee for Myanmar: 720, Thais: 800, Cambodians: 800, Vietnamese: 1000 and Filipinos: 1200

There's something wrong here, and just in case you were wondering, the Filipinos get 30 days free entry into Laos.

Link/ Quote:The full list is on display at the Visa Application window. Japanese visitors to Lao no longer need a visa and ASEAN country passport holders should not have to pay for a 15 day entry stamp.

I'm wondering if malaysians have to pay for the non-imm B visa? I'm trying to travel as light as possible, fear of losing/ dropping things on the way of travel.

On the Laos side, do people speak Thai (not issaan, but plain Thai)?

Edited by bernett

Well it's pretty baffling and wouldn't be so sure, because check out the list that the Lao Consulate in Bangkok puts out on their website:

visa fees for Laos

This is probably where you picked up the 300 baht fee info for Malaysians.

But...

on the same list we see a visa fee for Myanmar: 720, Thais: 800, Cambodians: 800, Vietnamese: 1000 and Filipinos: 1200

There's something wrong here, and just in case you were wondering, the Filipinos get 30 days free entry into Laos.

It's a mess. It appears several of the ASEAN countries are on the visa exempt list for Thailand.

How many days does your GF get when she crosses a border into Thailand without a visa?

I read the list of fees and saw contradictory info there.

The website that Mario posted shows that Phillipine citizens get 30 days going to Laos. No question there.

Link/ Quote:The full list is on display at the Visa Application window. Japanese visitors to Lao no longer need a visa and ASEAN country passport holders should not have to pay for a 15 day entry stamp.

I'm wondering if malaysians have to pay for the non-imm B visa? I'm trying to travel as light as possible, fear of losing/ dropping things on the way of travel.

On the Laos side, do people speak Thai (not issaan, but plain Thai)?

Did you read my reply where I did an edit and said you get a free visa. Including a link.

You may find some some that speak Thai. Isaan is not a language. Some people in Isaan speak a Lao dialect.

How many days does your GF get when she crosses a border into Thailand without a visa?

The website that Mario posted shows that Phillipine citizens get 30 days going to Laos. No question there.

Visa exempt entries for Filipinos:

1. 30 days into Malaysia, Thailand and Laos.

2. 21 days into Cambodia.

ASEAN citizens will get 21 days into the Philippines.

I think she will only get 15 days at a border crossing the same as all visa exempt entries except Malaysians who cross the border with Malaysia.

I think she will only get 15 days at a border crossing the same as all visa exempt entries except Malaysians who cross the border with Malaysia.

Yeah, I forgot about the new rule. Probably 15 days into Thailand at a land border as with most others.

Edited by tropo