Forum maintenance tonight from approx. 11pm - 1.30am ×

Vientiane Laos for Thai Visa

I can only point out that so far we didn't see any reports of someone being denied a tourist visa in Laos.

That statement could be taken to mean that every applicant in Laos has been sucessful. We also haven't seen a report of anyone receiving a tourist visa this week in Vientiane.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Visa as normal in Vientiane per today 17 September. No new demands when apply for 2 entry TR visa. All applicants got their visa, including those with many back to back TR visas.

This info from one of Pattaya visa agents with 2 minibus up there - today.

Thanks to the false rumors, they get houndreds of calls from worried expats. All for nothing.

Visa as normal in Vientiane per today 17 September. No new demands when apply for 2 entry TR visa. All applicants got their visa, including those with many back to back TR visas.

This info from one of Pattaya visa agents with 2 minibus up there - today.

Thanks to the false rumors, they get houndreds of calls from worried expats. All for nothing.

Thanks for this early report.

Even though they're saying it's business as usual up in Vientiane, it feels we're sitting on a ticking bomb that could explode at any time.

Yes, I was planning a trip to get a double tourist visa at the end of the month.

I only have one recent double entry tourist visa in my passport. Prior to that a year extension of a non o. So I'm not sure if I will run the risk of rejection or not!

It does seem that the New Embassy in Vientiane was built specifically to issue tourist visas efficiently, so it is possible that they will take no part in this crackdown.

Hope to see some reports here soon.

At least I do have the option to extend for 30 days at the immigration if reports are not good - will at least give me some breathing space.

Got a phone call from a friend of mine today .He had just got back & said it is business as normal . He has about 5 back to back in his passport

I need to obtain a non-Immigrant Visa type-O for my marriage visa in Thailand.Is it possible to get it in the Thai Vientiane Consulate(or Embassy)?

I'm planning to go there on the October 12th'09,but there is a Laos National Holiday this day,so I wander if the Thai Consulate will be open?

I will be driving a car,so is it possible to take the car to Laos,or is it just to much trouble?

I need to obtain a non-Immigrant Visa type-O for my marriage visa in Thailand.Is it possible to get it in the Thai Vientiane Consulate(or Embassy)?

I'm planning to go there on the October 12th'09,but there is a Laos National Holiday this day,so I wander if the Thai Consulate will be open?

I will be driving a car,so is it possible to take the car to Laos,or is it just to much trouble?

Consulates are closed on Thai holidays and local national holidays.

Consulates are closed on Thai holidays and local national holidays.

Thanks,but how about my 2 other questions?

Taking the car is too much trouble.

I can't see a public holiday on October 12th on my list of Thai and Laos public holidays for 2009 Vientiane_consulate_holidays.rtf

Sorry, I cannot answer your first question.

Hi All,

Just got back 2 hours ago...from Laos...double entry...no red stamp...have 3 singles in old pp 4 doubles in my new pp, this new one making 5. Got there at 11.10am on Wednesday to apply...10 people in front of me..picked up yesterday 2.30pm, nobody there.

Also went down on night train sleeper this time..got there just before 10am..10am train across the border 20 baht...immigration was empty only 10 or so people, you handed in you pp with form and payment for Laos visa, got it back three minutes later.

I have stood in that queue at the road border immigration for upto 2 hours in the past, mainly to the visa companys from Bangkok and Pattaya not forgetting the Filapino TV teachers. Would recommend this point of entry....exit..didn't try has came back on bus back.

Block2

Hi All,

Also went down on night train sleeper this time..got there just before 10am..10am train across the border 20 baht...immigration was empty only 10 or so people, you handed in you pp with form and payment for Laos visa, got it back three minutes later........

Block2

Good info - thanks.

I'm thinking of going by train next time. Do you know if there is only the one train each day in the morning?

How did you get from the Train station to the Thai Consulate?

Hi All,

Also went down on night train sleeper this time..got there just before 10am..10am train across the border 20 baht...immigration was empty only 10 or so people, you handed in you pp with form and payment for Laos visa, got it back three minutes later........

Block2

Good info - thanks.

I'm thinking of going by train next time. Do you know if there is only the one train each day in the morning?

How did you get from the Train station to the Thai Consulate?

Hi loong,

Can't recollect the exact times but there was a notice board there with the times..to be honest was chatting with a couple of lads I'd met so didn't really take any notice..but should imagine there will be earlier ones than the 10am one..took 15 mins to go across friendship bridge. Once over the bridge the train bears right...to a brand new terminal with a very well staffed laos border control..whereas the buses bear left once over the boarder to the old Laos border control. Try giving Nong Khai train station a ring, i'm sure they would inform you of the times. Anything after that 10am train you will probably be pushing it to meet the 12am gate shut.

At 1st we thought the train was going to just go to the old border control but at 20 baht a person beats getting a tuk tuk. But it did'nt went to a brand new train station with the border control there. Took all of 10 minutes to get my Laos visa and must of that time was filling out the entry forms.

The train does not go to the Thai Consulate it terminates at the new Laos border control..the taxis have set up a pitch there you have to haggle...5 of us got to consulate, he waited then hotel drop off 400 baht for the 5 of us.

Block2

The train does not go to the Thai Consulate it terminates at the new Laos border control..the taxis have set up a pitch there you have to haggle...5 of us got to consulate, he waited then hotel drop off 400 baht for the 5 of us.

I believe its the only railway station in Laos and in the middle of nowhere. The line has been open about 6 months from what I have seen online and it does seem that there is only one train per day. Of course much info that you can find online is often not updated, so you can never be sure.

What I was concerned about is arriving at the station in Laos, in the middle of nowhere and if no bus service, you are totally at the mercy of the taxis. You did ok as you were able to share with 4 others.

Thanks for the info

hi,

just came back from vt with 2x tourist visa.

chiang mai arcade station 1st class bus to ut, 526bt.

ut taxi, 60 bt.(tell them you want bus to go to nk) to bus station for nk (shacks all along the big road leading to nk are the bus stations, which are more like bus stops and the bus sells you the ticket when you get on. 40 bt, a/c). get off when you see the friendship bridge signs or hear them call out vientiane.

taxi to border, 60bt.

1 photo at lao immigration, 35usd.

tour bus to morning market in vt, 100bt.

hotel check in. taxi to consulate 100bt. too many people before me, paid visa service, delivered next day to hotel room. the guy takes your passport, i took his business card w/ his picture and a receipt.

bus station at morning market, bus direct to ut 20000kip a/c. stops at border to stamp out, pay 2500 kip overtime fee. stamp into thailand.

ut bus station 1 taxi 70bt. to ut bus station 2 for vip bus to chiang mai, 613bt.

shower and relax back in chiang mai, priceless.

Does anyone know where to download the Visa application form? or a place to pick one up in Bangkok?

For the past few weeks it seems their website is down?

Getting ready for a trip to Vientiane in a few weeks.

Thanks

Try this. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/post-a90412-.html If that doesn't work, there is a PDF file attached to a post on Pg 48 of this thread.

Edited by beechguy

I haven't done the Vientiane run since October last year.

I had photocopies of my passport's photo page and my Lao visa (I made the cab stop on the way from the frontier to the consulate), but I vaguely remember still having to make the mad dash up the road to the photocopy place for something (or maybe that was a previous run).

Now I am reading posts that say the only photocopy needed is of the passport photo page.

Can anyone with a US passport who has applied in recent weeks confirm this?

Also, is there a photocopy place convenient to the new TC, just in case?

Google the embassy. They have one to DL.

Ben: From the visa app link (which is official app)...

4 HOW TO APPLY FOR VISA

4.1 Complete and sign ONE application from.

4.2 Submit with the completed form

- Your passport/ travel document which should be valid for at least SIX MONTHS

from the date of application.

- A photo copy of your passport

- TWO recent color photographs

- Appropriate fee(See 5)

HAMMER: Think you are missing the point of what has been going down during the last 5-6 years. If your 'logic' held up then th evisas would be flowing like wine as in early days. Vientiane for whatever reason is exception not the rule.

Edited by bangkokburning

I will go to Ventienne to apply for a tourist visa, I would like to stay in Thailand as long as possible.

WOuld I be right in assuming that the 90day multi entry visa would give you the longest stay?

How many entries does a multi entry give - 3?

Is there more chance of being denied a 90day multi entry than say a 60day double?

How does it all work?

(Given that I have been in Thailand for the past 1.5 years, first on a 90day multi entry tourist visa from the UK, then on a non-imm O volunteer extensions.)

Thanks

I will go to Ventienne to apply for a tourist visa, I would like to stay in Thailand as long as possible.

WOuld I be right in assuming that the 90day multi entry visa would give you the longest stay?

How many entries does a multi entry give - 3?

Is there more chance of being denied a 90day multi entry than say a 60day double?

How does it all work?

(Given that I have been in Thailand for the past 1.5 years, first on a 90day multi entry tourist visa from the UK, then on a non-imm O volunteer extensions.)

Thanks

MJA1906: You have already made a seperate posting about this. You will become even more confused by making multiple postings. Suggest keeping responses to the other thread.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/90-Day-Multi...ne-t307013.html

Booked a flight to Udon Wed- return Friday. Just heard that Friday is a holiday? Staying until Monday is a last resort, but can anyone recommend the "One day Visa" service? (I know one hotel that offers it, 5000B, but i guess 3000 because visa is free...) I may do it on Thursday, so I can still fly home on Friday. Can't afford the time at the moment. Any advice here?

Hi all,

I had intended to go to Vientane by train, but It seems that there is no suitable train from here to get me in Nongkhai before the 10am train leaves for Laos.

I've also just found out that Friday is a holiday, so the consulate won't be open.

This means that leaving early tomorrow morning (Wednesday) as I intended is not a good option, because if I'm held up for some reason, I can't be sure to get my paperwork in on time. If I can't put in my application until Thursday, I will have to wait until Monday to pick it up.

It looks like I will have to go this evening. I would like to get a bus direct from Udon Thani to Vientane to save the hassle of having to get from Nong Khai bus station to the border and the from the border to Vientane.

I believe that buses leave Udon Thani at 15:00 and 17:00, can anyone confirm this?

I live between Khon Kaen and Udon, so if I get a bus to Udon, will I arrive at the same bus station as the Vientane bus departs from?

If not booked in advance , are there generally any problems getting one of these buses?

Sorry for all the questions, but time is limited and this is such a long thread, I can't find the info that I need.

I already have the visa for Laos. I picked that up in Khon Kaen last week. They will do it in 5 minutes, but the fee is 1600 Baht now, apparently 200 Baht of that is "express service" fee.

Many thanks

I have just returned from laos, after bieng unsure weather they would follow in pennangs footsteps by stamping "not to return" and am happy to say i appllied for and recieved a Tourist x 2 visa!

i did not meet anyone who was refussed or had any problems!

Now this is my first Tourist x 2 so ill presume ill get

arrived back yesterday and got 60 days

then top up at jontiem 30 days

then cambodia border 60 days (for double entry)

then top up at jontiem 30 days

then ill just do 2 x border runs keping1 left for plan b thats 60 days

so in theory thats 8 months sorted!

now if i have added this wrong please let me know, as i say it is my first double entry!

cheers chris :)

hi to all,

sorry this is off subject but can any1 help me , i,m here on type O multy entry so i only need to go across the border at nong khai pay my $35 and return can you get your border stamp on saturdays and sundays ?? or just mon to fri ???

thanks for any help ....mb...

if you have a 12 month non immigrant o visa you just get stamped out

walk across the road and get stamped back in. No 1500 baht for Laos, No Laos visa..nothing.

No. You have to go through Thai immigration and then clear Laos immigration/enter the country. You will be stamped into Laos and need a visa. Then you can can leave Laos 1 minute later if you wish and cross the border back into Thailand where you will get new 90 day permission to stay stamp if visa is valid. Without an exit stamp from Laos you will be denied entry into Thailand and will be detained for attempted illegal entry.

Edited by thaiphoon