Oliver Stone To Build A Film Studio In Thailand

sriracha john

post-9005-1197677387.jpg

Oliver Stone is building a movie studio in Thailand nicknamed "Ollywood".

Stone to build studio in Thailand

The Platoon director has bought a plot of land with producer David Winters, and hopes the country's scenery and low costs will attract stars to film there.

A friend said: "He and David have found some land halfway between Bangkok and Pattaya and a studio is being built for use by the US and British film industry.

"Obviously the beautiful coastlines have always made perfect filming locales, but although it's one of the booming Pacific rim economies, it's also a relatively cheap place to make films and a place where extras can be employed at a reduced rate."

The source added: "It's early days but already those working alongside Stone are jokingly calling it 'Ollywood'."

Actor-turned-director Mel Gibson is planning a similar project in Costa Rica, where he hopes to lure other filmmakers to move their sets.

- World Entertainment News Network

==============================================================================

Hurray for 'Ollywood'

Oliver Stone has bought a plot of land between Bangkok and Pattaya as the first step to building a new movie studio in Thailand. Stone was recently forced to halt production of Pinkville, a Vietnam war movie about the My Lai massacre, because of the Hollywood writers' strike. That movie now is unlikely to be made. It is unclear how much competition Ollywood would provide to existing Thai studios and facilities. The well-known Thai producer Santa Pestonji was the local producer for Pinkville, and has handled Thai production of numerous Hollywood movies, including major blockbusters.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.net/topstories/tops...s.php?id=124436

Oliver Stone (Director):

Pinkville (2008) (announced)

World Trade Center (2006)

Alexander (2004)

Comandante (2003)

Any Given Sunday (1999)

U Turn (1997)

Nixon (1995)

Natural Born Killers (1994)

Heaven & Earth (1993)

JFK (1991)

The Doors (1991)

Born on the Fourth of July (1989)

Talk Radio (1988)

Wall Street (1987)

Platoon (1986)

Salvador (1986)

The Hand (1981)

Mad Man of Martinique (1979)

Seizure (1974)

Last Year in Viet Nam (1971)

- Internet Movie Database / www.imdb.com

Until I saw his pic in the opening post, I hadn't realized Oliver had such a large face. Put some pancake makeup on it, and some eyeshadow and lip gloss, and he'd give some khatooeys on Pattaya's Beach Road a run for their money.

strange!!!

Does "Ollie" has a Thai passport perhaps??????

Granted a"special"status in thailand perhaps?

I was tought that farangs couldnt buy land in Thailand....

thai spouse perhaps or is there a loophole in Thai law i am unaware of?

i follow with interest>

hgma

post-9005-1197677387.jpg

The Platoon director has bought a plot of land with producer David Winters, and hopes the country's scenery and low costs will attract stars to film there.

A friend said: "He and David have found some land halfway between Bangkok and Pattaya and a studio is being built for use by the US and British film industry.

"Obviously the beautiful coastlines have always made perfect filming locales, but although it's one of the booming Pacific rim economies, it's also a relatively cheap place to make films and a place where extras can be employed at a reduced rate."

The source added: "It's early days but already those working alongside Stone are jokingly calling it 'Ollywood'."

Actor-turned-director Mel Gibson is planning a similar project in Costa Rica, where he hopes to lure other filmmakers to move their sets.

Hurray for 'Ollywood'

Oliver Stone has bought a plot of land between Bangkok and Pattaya as the first step to building a new movie studio in Thailand. Stone was recently forced to halt production of Pinkville, a Vietnam war movie about the My Lai massacre, because of the Hollywood writers' strike. That movie now is unlikely to be made. It is unclear how much competition Ollywood would provide to existing Thai studios and facilities. The well-known Thai producer Santa Pestonji was the local producer for Pinkville, and has handled Thai production of numerous Hollywood movies, including major blockbusters.

Continued here:

Oliver Stone (Director):

Alexander (2004)

Comandante (2003)

Any Given Sunday (1999)

U Turn (1997)

Nixon (1995)

Heaven & Earth (1993)

JFK (1991)

The Doors (1991)

Talk Radio (1988)

Wall Street (1987)

Platoon (1986)

Salvador (1986)

The Hand (1981)

Seizure (1974)

I've never seen Natural Born Killers.

Is it about Thai drivers?

No, but if you have problems with Thai drivers I wouldn't recommend watching it or you might go on a similar shooting spree.

It wasn't so much the blood and gore but the cold hearted execution in the name of justice that made the film stand out. Tarantino's Pulp Fiction stole the show that year, though, no one remembers Natural Born Killers anymore.

Stone is past his prime, who else will be shooting in his studio? Some B movie trash?

Interesting how when big money farangs come along the rules suddenly become more 'accommodating' :o

Olly Stone goes to Nana eh? I'm sure someone with his cash and clout would be able to do far better with what Bangkoks tourist zones have to offer :D

And Hugh Grant in Cowboy!!

There have been a few famous faces around over the year

Steven Segal used to read one of the other Thai boards aimed at the nightlife apparently as well.

Pattaya seems to get the most famous faces but mostly nationally famous in one countrt or so - Simon Cowell was there was he not when only famous for Pop Idol in the UK before he launched it in the USA - pic's of him with a slapper on the back of his bike.

I'm sure he won't have any problems with the land if he has enough money to invest, but looking at his more recent films you'd probably ask, why not just call it a day?

Platoon was great, Born on the Fourth of July was great, Natural Born Killers was above average and I liked U-turn (although I can see why someone else might hate it). His more recent films have been quite poor by comparison and I'd agree that he is well past his prime.

Interesting how when big money farangs come along the rules suddenly become more 'accommodating' :o

Olly Stone goes to Nana eh? I'm sure someone with his cash and clout would be able to do far better with what Bangkoks tourist zones have to offer :D

Steven Segal used to read one of the other Thai boards aimed at the nightlife apparently as well.

Pattaya seems to get the most famous faces but mostly nationally famous in one countrt or so - Simon Cowell was there was he not when only famous for Pop Idol in the UK before he launched it in the USA - pic's of him with a slapper on the back of his bike.

In order to qualify as a director or actor, one needs at least some sort of facial muscle movement, however small it is. Twitches and La Tourette even count.

post-9005-1197677387.jpg

Hurray for 'Ollywood'

Continued here:

Oliver Stone (Director):

Alexander (2004)

Comandante (2003)

Any Given Sunday (1999)

U Turn (1997)

Nixon (1995)

Heaven & Earth (1993)

JFK (1991)

The Doors (1991)

Talk Radio (1988)

Wall Street (1987)

Platoon (1986)

Salvador (1986)

The Hand (1981)

Seizure (1974)

Hes really here for big als burgers ! :o

Interesting how when big money farangs come along the rules suddenly become more 'accommodating' :D

In order to qualify as a director or actor, one needs at least some sort of facial muscle movement, however small it is. Twitches and La Tourette even count.

He does wai the service staff in the Man Ho Chinese Restaurant in the JW Marriott much to their bemusement :o

Interesting how when big money farangs come along the rules suddenly become more 'accommodating' :D

He does wai the service staff in the Man Ho Chinese Restaurant in the JW Marriott much to their bemusement :D

He frequents Soi 33, or at least he did when he was filming over here :o

Prick.

He does wai the service staff in the Man Ho Chinese Restaurant in the JW Marriott much to their bemusement :D

He frequents Soi 33, or at least he did when he was filming over here :o

Prick.

I am of course referring to Segal and not Prakkanong :D

I wonder if farangs will be able to LEGALLY work as extras for these movies? Surely, they will need a diverse range of races and looks for the movies? Hopefully so, as there is such a big pool of willing layabouts around here.

Jingthing were have you been? There is 10's of "modelling agencies" in Bangkok employing farang extras small actors etc. This has already been for over a decade (when I arrived here in 1999) This is one of the reasons Thailand is already a favourite place for productions from the west and India, Japan etc. to come and shoot here. You can get extras with all looks from all continents in Bangkok. hel_l if they are desperate (because they pay to low to get the bangkok=based extras out of their bed) they go to Khao San and look for backpackers who want to play in a movie for peanuts.

It is how I started and I wrestled myself up with some nice parts in Thai movies and on Thai tv.

Waerth

Pattaya seems to get the most famous faces

you're obviously referring to coronations streets mike baldwin who made the news recently for all the wrong reasons when he visited thailands most cosmopolitan city.

Well there is him but also

Jimmy White

Simon Cowell as mentioned

Steve Coppell

Bobby George?? - it was one darts player but can not remember exactly who

That daft girl from Hi De Hi

I am sure there are more - anyone

Others I have heard mentioned were Michael Mates the ex N Ireleand secretary in Phuket

Yani - Linda Evans ex and crap cheesy musician - Phuket

Prince Andrew - Go Go Bar in Phuket

Carol Thatcher in Patpong

A couple of Aussie MP's (its compulsory :o ) - including one who was at the first ever Nanapong dance competition

I wonder if farangs will be able to LEGALLY work as extras for these movies? Surely, they will need a diverse range of races and looks for the movies? Hopefully so, as there is such a big pool of willing layabouts around here.

Jingthing were have you been? There is 10's of "modelling agencies" in Bangkok employing farang extras small actors etc. This has already been for over a decade (when I arrived here in 1999) This is one of the reasons Thailand is already a favourite place for productions from the west and India, Japan etc. to come and shoot here. You can get extras with all looks from all continents in Bangkok. hel_l if they are desperate (because they pay to low to get the bangkok=based extras out of their bed) they go to Khao San and look for backpackers who want to play in a movie for peanuts.

It is how I started and I wrestled myself up with some nice parts in Thai movies and on Thai tv.

Waerth

Yeah - I know a guy who was an extra in The Killing Fields years ago - the Embassy evacuation scene - he played a marine

Then there are other movies going back years - Saigon (different name in the USA with Gregory Hines and William Dafoe) - Good Morning Vietnam was shot in Thailand too was it not? - The Deer Hunter - girl out of the Mississippi Queen in Patpong

Jingthing were have you been? There is 10's of "modelling agencies" in Bangkok employing farang extras small actors etc.

I have been aware of farang extras casting. Does a one day extra need/get a WORK PERMIT? If not, how can a big operation like the new Stone movie factory operate with thousands of illegal extras, if they are indeed working illegally?

Edited by Jingthing

Jingthing were have you been? There is 10's of "modeling agencies" in Bangkok employing farang extras small actors etc.

I have been aware of farang extras casting. Does a one day extra need/get a WORK PERMIT? If not, how can a big operation like the new Stone movie factory operate with thousands of illegal extras, if they are indeed working illegally?

Whether it is legal or not I do not know. Fact is Thai and Farang movies have been shot here using hundreds and thousands of Farang extras over an extended period of time. For kingmaker 100's of Farangs were employed for months on end without having a work permit by my knowledge. Same for another recent hollywood movie. And for the Pirates mini series shot in the south. Some of the actors with speaking parts did get temporary work permits the first period they were on the set. Then when shots needed to be redone a few weeks later they didn't get any temp work permits.

It is all a hit and miss. With the rates paid for foreign extras 1000-1500 baht for a 12 hour day I do not see there being money to process all of the work permits. Most of the times extras are needed for multiple days though. I have played about 30-40 guestparts (speaking parts in which my guest character was what the episode or episodes was or were about) over the past 2 years. I have never had any work permit though. Neither for my movie parts. I did have to pay taxes though and sign with my name and a copy of my non-imm-B visa and my passport. So somewhere some bureaucrat must know what I am doing.

Labour department people that I spoke about this insisted they were not interested in cases like mine as long as tax was being paid. But this was their unofficial opinion and they do not want to give this in writing. I guess I will find out when I end up in jail (or not). The thing is with my comedy group (we perform in Pattaya on December 31st at the Bali Hai Pier new Years countdown approx 22.00) we have performed for the labour department multiple times at new years parties and for immigration parties also. No one has ever remarked anything with regards to this. I only get praise and their business cards

Waerth

Thanks Waerth, sounds like another TIT situation.

They could probably make some easy money by offering big studios something like "express temporary work permits" that they could hand out like party snacks and charge them 100 baht a day per worker.

Thanks Waerth, sounds like another TIT situation.

They could probably make some easy money by offering big studios something like "express temporary work permits" that they could hand out like party snacks and charge them 100 baht a day per worker.

Having been in Thailand for 9 years now I feel that if they start tinkering with this in the current climate they will probably come up with something to make the foreign production companies go elsewhere.

One of the only reasons these companies come to shoot here is because of the huge amount of people of all ethnic backgrounds available here. On top of that Thailand has developed some good production companies. But it is a synergy. If you do not have the people of all ethnic backgrounds available for cheap you can have the best production companies in the world but that would still limit your appeal for foreign production companies.

I hope the ones responsible for the Thai entertainment industry will impress this upon the bureaucrats. It would be nice to get a visa based on my acting work.

Waerth