Thaivisa Spelling Bee

The Professor

teh instead of the.

I think that one, and many others are deliberate and a kind of internet "street credibility" thing. For me it just downgrades the post and no matter how much sensible stuff follows it is off to a bad start. Also many spelling errors come from the fact that many of us aren't touch typists and merely hit the keys in the wrong order. I always give my posts a quick proof read and often pick out a Tahiland or similar and I know for a fact that often msipellnigs get through..

"Should of" instead of "should have" irritates me (only a bit though :o) every time I see it.

Thank God it only irritates you a "bit" .. for a minute there I thought you were one of those pedantic old ladies from the Teachers forum.

Whew! :D

This's turnin' into a thread for engrish.

S'posed t'be Thai - English errors in signs, mail etc.

Whilst on the subject of English, the usage the word "got" drove my primary school teacher nutz.

Totally superfluous, completely unecessary.

I inherited the bug, my kids NEVA used it in my presence and warned their mates........LOL.

People say, "I have got to ......"

What is wrong with "I have to........"?

I gotta bee in my bonnet from some radio and TV announcers using it umpteen times in a few minutes.

Hey guys, keep this thread alive, I "gotta" a "lotta" laffs from wot I bin readin'.

Cheers all.

This's turnin' into a thread for engrish.

S'posed t'be Thai - English errors in signs, mail etc.

Whilst on the subject of English, the usage the word "got" drove my primary school teacher nutz.

Well there's a myriad of those and many in signs associated with large organisations/corporations where you'd think they'd employ at least one native English speaking proof reader. But those little mistranslations are what add to the fun of travel worldwide :o and I wouldn't criticise the smal businesses for their errors, more kudos to them for trying.

I also expect we'll get a visitation from the "how many fluent, grammatically correct signs in Thai do you see in Basingstoke?" brigade.

The subject of the word "got" and "get" were also pet hates of my secondary school English teacher. You could guarantee low marks in any submission that contained even one appearance of those offending words. I would like to say it also has carried over with me but I have to admit to the occasional slip of the "tongue".

• 1 month later...