Australian Aged Pension

4 hours ago, ELVIS123456 said:

What you said lacks one key ingrediant ........... a point.

Are you saying I have something wrong?  Wouldnt be the first time - but if you think so, then say what it is - then you will have made a point.  Otherwise, I can not see the point of your reply. 

"Something wrong", not at all. Just like the other , now, 151 pages of new information that is  available on the Oz Govt. web site.

On 3/16/2018 at 4:03 PM, scorecard said:

If your meaning sell the house in Thailand, there is more to understand.

How often do you see a Thai property agent focused on the total Thai market (Thai sellers / Thai buyers)?

The answer is never.

Why, because:

- Thais generally don't see any status value in buying second-hand anything, especially houses (reality is that if a Thai person buys a second hand house it's obvious to all 'it's second-hand', and therefore has low status building value).

- Many Thai folks would be concerned about what past history is attached to a second-hand house; did someone die in the house, are there ghosts in the house?

- Many Thais believe when you acquire a piece of land you would never sell it. 

And more...

Your spot on there.

When we built our house, first thing came to my mind was that I would never get my money back from it, i.e. either I die here, or the wife gets it if we ever divorced.

Your castle is only your castle as long as the above, and when I built our castle, I went in with eyes wide open, referring to my number one rule, i.e. only invest as much as your prepared to lose, e.g. no more than 10% of your worth, and not before you have been with your partner for at least 5 years and see no changes in her personality, setting those unsuspecting bait traps along the way, and if the mouse takes the cheese, you know what to do.

Our castle has neighbours either side, with one side being a rice field with a street frontage of about 100 metres before you get to the neighbours house, she is an old lady with the daughter who is going to inherit it living in Bangkok (it has our name on it, I mean the Mrs's name on it), as she wants to one day return and rip down the old house and build her new house on it, (that will be a done deal as we will be contributing to her building costs through the sale of the land to us, no doubt), easy money for her, and on the other side is another old woman, who's house is about 20 metres away from us, although the son who lives in Bangkok says he will one day return to build his house on his mums land, I say, the offer I make him when the time comes will see one of my kids building their house on it next to ours in the future, with the son of the old lady either building somewhere else in the village or remaining in Bangkok.

The plan is to have our kids on either side of us as our neighbours, well....someones got to take out the garbage :post-4641-1156694572:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Your spot on there.

When we built our house, first thing came to my mind was that I would never get my money back from it, i.e. either I die here, or the wife gets it if we ever divorced.

Your castle is only your castle as long as the above, and when I built our castle, I went in with eyes wide open, referring to my number one rule, i.e. only invest as much as your prepared to lose, e.g. no more than 10% of your worth, and not before you have been with your partner for at least 5 years and see no changes in her personality, setting those unsuspecting bait traps along the way, and if the mouse takes the cheese, you know what to do.

Our castle has neighbours either side, with one side being a rice field with a street frontage of about 100 metres before you get to the neighbours house, she is an old lady with the daughter who is going to inherit it living in Bangkok (it has our name on it, I mean the Mrs's name on it), as she wants to one day return and rip down the old house and build her new house on it, (that will be a done deal as we will be contributing to her building costs through the sale of the land to us, no doubt), easy money for her, and on the other side is another old woman, who's house is about 20 metres away from us, although the son who lives in Bangkok says he will one day return to build his house on his mums land, I say, the offer I make him when the time comes will see one of my kids building their house on it next to ours in the future, with the son of the old lady either building somewhere else in the village or remaining in Bangkok.

The plan is to have our kids on either side of us as our neighbours, well....someones got to take out the garbage :post-4641-1156694572:

OAP  ???

On 3/21/2018 at 8:16 PM, ELVIS123456 said:

The two years 'rule' is NOT a rule or a policy.

I see many people posting about this issue as if it is a set rule/policy, and I feel I need to point out that IMO it is not.

Yes - if you return to Oz and get the OAP (immediately), you will need to stay living in Oz for at least 2 years, before portability will be approved.  But it is not a 'sentence' that once served, means you are going to get portability automatically approved.  It is a MINIMUM period of time before CLink can approve portability.  But if they believe that you never intended to remain in Australia, and that you only came back so you could get the OAP and return overseas, then they can delay approval - and they can refuse to approve portability indefinitely.  But to do this they must have 'evidence' of your intent (property in your name, wife and kids in Thailand, etc etc).

Anyone considering this course of action should look at the possibility that you may have to wait more than 2 years - if you were to do it in say the next few years.  If you are looking at this as a course of action in 5-10+ years, then keep in mind that it is likely that the 2 years 'minimum qualification' will be extended to 3 or 4 or 5 years AND that they will get harder and harder on approvals.   

A far easier approach (IMO) is to move back to Aus before you qualify for the OAP (at least 2 years), and either get a job (not easy) or go on to Newstart (very easy once over 60) and then the 'transition' from work/dole to OAP will be very easy, AND approval for portability will be much easier.  But the same applies - you must tell everyone that you have come back to work and intend living in Aust permanently.  Some times things just dont work out - even though you gave it your best shot - nudge nudge wink wink :smile: 

On 3/21/2018 at 11:27 PM, keithpa said:

149 pages of info on the Oz age pension. The Oz Government regulations on the pension arnt that long. Give it a rest or read what the regulations say.

No need to read all 149 pages s Simple1 has narrowed it down @ #2209 copy ad pasted below:

If people overseas ask about getting a pension on return to Australia, great care should be taken to give them complete and accurate information about the residence provisions and their subsequent portability entitlements. A claim for pension can be lodged by a former resident ONLY IF, on the evidence available, there is a clear intention to remain permanently in Australia. A person who intends to return to Australia for a 24 month period only would not be an 'Australian resident' as per SSAct subsection 7(2).

On a personal note I returned to Oz after living in Thailand for a while prior to Age Pension age and claimed unemployment benefit for a few months, it was easy to then roll over to Age Pension. Establishing residency for Centrelink to claim Newstart is straight forward e.g....

Oz Rental Agreement

Oz Driving License

Oz Bank Account

Family in Oz

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

If people overseas ask about getting a pension on return to Australia, great care should be taken to give them complete and accurate information about the residence provisions and their subsequent portability entitlements. A claim for pension can be lodged by a former resident ONLY IF, on the evidence available, there is a clear intention to remain permanently in Australia. A person who intends to return to Australia for a 24 month period only would not be an 'Australian resident' as per SSAct subsection 7(2).

Excellent quote from the DSS ACT - add this one below about the previous points and the situation is very clear :

A person arriving in or returning to Australia (1.1.A.320) must satisfy the Act's definition of Australian resident in order to lodge a proper claim for a pension. A former resident who returns to Australia and is granted a pension (Age, DSP, WP, WidB, BVA), or who transferred under SS(Admin)Act section 12 to Age CANNOT take that pension outside Australia if they leave again within 24 months after having again become an Australian resident. The purpose of this legislation is to discourage people from coming to Australia just to get an Australian pension to take back overseas.

It is important to inform a recipient that there is NO discretionary power allowing portability of pensions during the first 24 months of resumed Australian residency. However, payment may be suspended for the period of the short overseas absence and does not have to be reclaimed on return to Australia. 

If you intend to return to Australia once you have reached age qualification for the OAP,  you must be returning with the intention to stay permanently in Australia, or they can refuse to grant the OAP. 

Likewise, at anytime within the 24 months period, if CLink believes that you always intended to immediately return overseas, they can cancel the OAP and/or they can delay approval for portability. 

It is very likely that in the future years the 2 year period of time for portability qualification will be increased (3,4,5?) and that the approval requirements for portability for residents/citizens returning will be toughened up significantly.

Edited by ELVIS123456
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, ELVIS123456 said:

If you intend to return to Australia once you have reached age qualification for the OAP,  you must be returning with the intention to stay permanently in Australia, or they can refuse to grant the OAP. 

Likewise, at anytime within the 24 months period, if CLink believes that you always intended to immediately return overseas, they can cancel the OAP and/or they can delay approval for portability. 

It is very likely that in the future years the 2 year period of time for portability qualification will be increased (3,4,5?) and that the approval requirements for portability for residents/citizens returning will be toughened up significantly.

Never understood why there should be any conditions placed on where you decide to live once you qualify for the OAP  Surely it must be cheaper to allow pensioners to live overseas and fund their own health care, minus the other rebates that are paid in Australia like rates, pharmaceutical benefits, public transport, utilities etc..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ELVIS123456 said:

Excellent quote from the DSS ACT - add this one below about the previous points and the situation is very clear :

A person arriving in or returning to Australia (1.1.A.320) must satisfy the Act's definition of Australian resident in order to lodge a proper claim for a pension. A former resident who returns to Australia and is granted a pension (Age, DSP, WP, WidB, BVA), or who transferred under SS(Admin)Act section 12 to Age CANNOT take that pension outside Australia if they leave again within 24 months after having again become an Australian resident. The purpose of this legislation is to discourage people from coming to Australia just to get an Australian pension to take back overseas.

It is important to inform a recipient that there is NO discretionary power allowing portability of pensions during the first 24 months of resumed Australian residency. However, payment may be suspended for the period of the short overseas absence and does not have to be reclaimed on return to Australia. 

You know ELVIS123456 they could sort this out so easily if they had the balls, i.e. if they could agree and pass legislation that those who are CITIZENS, and have worked and paid taxes for 35 years should receive the OAP and it be made portable immediately, and naturally those under 35 years get it at the pro-rata rate, e.g. 25 years gets 71.42% of the OAP, 15 years gets 42.85% of the pension, all provided that they meet the assets test and are CITIZENS, and naturally portability goes to the 25 & 15 year workers as well, providing they are CITIZENS.

Those who have done the time and paid the taxes should get portability without having to remain in Australia or return to Australia to receive the OAP or part thereof, if they fit the above criteria, simple really. 

Now having said that, anyone that hasn't worked or paid taxes for a minimum 15 years, gets a ZERO OAP, it shouldn't be the tax payers problem to have to contribute to anyone who hasn't worked when they get to the pension age, i.e. granting them the OAP or part thereof based on the years they have lived in the county, however it is the tax payer who is being screwed over for having worked and paid taxes, sure the OAP is part of a welfare support system, but where is the justice for the tax payer, when someone who doesn't contribute to the tax system gets a free ride.

Any you wonder why they stick it to the Xpats, the tax paying Xpats that is, should be a given, seriously, the Xpat that has worked, paid his/her taxes and should get portability without prejudice because Australia has failed them, i.e. if the cost of living wasn't so frigging high, I am sure a lot of Xpats would more than likely be living back in the old country and holidaying in Thailand, but not me, I am more content here, in the land of, "up to you", but I am self retired, no pension here, too young, but trying to work around the assets test....lol.....don't shoot me, I have paid 35 years of taxes, and a little sweet at the end of the day, God willing I get to that age, i.e. whatever age it will be, 67-70 pick a number any number, its your lucky day ?

But please don't say that Xapts might have to wait 3, 4, or 5 years as a future portability, probability, you do understand there are a lot of high rises here in Thailand, and sometimes people do jump, well at least that's what we are told :stoner:

Edited by 4MyEgo

21 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

You know ELVIS123456 they could sort this out so easily if they had the balls, i.e. if they could agree and pass legislation that those who are CITIZENS, and have worked and paid taxes for 35 years should receive the OAP and it be made portable immediately, and naturally those under 35 years get it at the pro-rata rate, e.g. 25 years gets 71.42% of the OAP, 15 years gets 42.85% of the pension, all provided that they meet the assets test and are CITIZENS, and naturally portability goes to the 25 & 15 year workers as well, providing they are CITIZENS.

Those who have done the time and paid the taxes should get portability without having to remain in Australia or return to Australia to receive the OAP or part thereof, if they fit the above criteria, simple really. 

Now having said that, anyone that hasn't worked or paid taxes for a minimum 15 years, gets a ZERO OAP, it shouldn't be the tax payers problem to have to contribute to anyone who hasn't worked when they get to the pension age, i.e. granting them the OAP or part thereof based on the years they have lived in the county, however it is the tax payer who is being screwed over for having worked and paid taxes, sure the OAP is part of a welfare support system, but where is the justice for the tax payer, when someone who doesn't contribute to the tax system gets a free ride.

Any you wonder why they stick it to the Xpats, the tax paying Xpats that is, should be a given, seriously, the Xpat that has worked, paid his/her taxes and should get portability without prejudice because Australia has failed them, i.e. if the cost of living wasn't so frigging high, I am sure a lot of Xpats would more than likely be living back in the old country and holidaying in Thailand, but not me, I am more content here, in the land of, "up to you", but I am self retired, no pension here, too young, but trying to work around the assets test....lol.....don't shoot me, I have paid 35 years of taxes, and a little sweet at the end of the day, God willing I get to that age, i.e. whatever age it will be, 67-70 pick a number any number, its your lucky day ?

But please don't say that Xapts might have to wait 3, 4, or 5 years as a future portability, probability, you do understand there are a lot of high rises here in Thailand, and sometimes people do jump, well at least that's what we are told :stoner:

I hear you 4myego, and your point about citizens is valid - but it wont float.

The reason relates to why a legal immigrant who arrives in Aust cannot claim 'benefits' (Dole, Housing, Medical, etc etc) for at least 2 years, but a refugee (or illegal immigrant claiming refuge status) immediately gets those benefits. It is because Aust is a signatory to the UN Refuge Protection Laws, and that means Aust legally must provide welfare benefits to all real refugees and to all illegals who claim to be a refugee.  Brilliant lot that UN bunch - like most left-wing nutters they dont understand the need to have strong rules, in order to protect the majority against false claims by those that would abuse the rules. They see strong and harsh rules as a being fascist and against human rights.  I wonder if they are looking at Europe lately and considering they might have been wrong? 

Anyway, because of Aust being a signatory to all sorts of UN 'human rights' laws, the Govt cannot discriminate against Residents by providing something to Citizens only - such as OAP portability.  The vast majority of Aust Citizens would agree with that rule, but it would be in breach of UN laws.

Personally I reckon Aust should reject many of the UN Laws and withdraw, and make their own laws that their own People agree with (the majority). But there are many flow-on negatives from doing that so Aust never will on its own. The best hope is USA and Japan withdrawing its funds from the UN, and then maybe it will go back to what is was created for - a forum for countries to air their issues and hopefully avoid another world war. It has devolved into a monolithic monstrosity that forces countries to accept its policies and laws that were created by left-wing autocrats that have never been elected or selected by any of the world's People.  They are about as effective as the Pope in their attempts to avert wars, but unlike the Vatican the UN costs a large fortune to maintain. 

Did you know that the annual UN Budget ($5.7 Billion) is larger than that of 126 countries? Such as Libya, Congo, El Salvador, Paraguay, Nepal, Cameroon, Botswana, Bahrain, Malta, Georgia, Honduras, Jamaica etc etc etc.  Did you know that there are 29 million people in Nepal? 24 million in Cameroon? 9 million in Honduras? The UN is a colossal waste of money, and like all bureaucracies (cancers) its only real focus is on growing - taking everything it can get from its host in order to keep growing - and defending itself against all attack by pretending to be a part of and good to the host. 

Rant over :smile:   Thanks for reading/listening. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ELVIS123456 said:

I hear you 4myego, and your point about citizens is valid - but it wont float.

The reason relates to why a legal immigrant who arrives in Aust cannot claim 'benefits' (Dole, Housing, Medical, etc etc) for at least 2 years, but a refugee (or illegal immigrant claiming refuge status) immediately gets those benefits. It is because Aust is a signatory to the UN Refuge Protection Laws, and that means Aust legally must provide welfare benefits to all real refugees and to all illegals who claim to be a refugee.  Brilliant lot that UN bunch - like most left-wing nutters they dont understand the need to have strong rules, in order to protect the majority against false claims by those that would abuse the rules. They see strong and harsh rules as a being fascist and against human rights.  I wonder if they are looking at Europe lately and considering they might have been wrong? 

Anyway, because of Aust being a signatory to all sorts of UN 'human rights' laws, the Govt cannot discriminate against Residents by providing something to Citizens only - such as OAP portability.  The vast majority of Aust Citizens would agree with that rule, but it would be in breach of UN laws.

Personally I reckon Aust should reject many of the UN Laws and withdraw, and make their own laws that their own People agree with (the majority). But there are many flow-on negatives from doing that so Aust never will on its own. The best hope is USA and Japan withdrawing its funds from the UN, and then maybe it will go back to what is was created for - a forum for countries to air their issues and hopefully avoid another world war. It has devolved into a monolithic monstrosity that forces countries to accept its policies and laws that were created by left-wing autocrats that have never been elected or selected by any of the world's People.  They are about as effective as the Pope in their attempts to avert wars, but unlike the Vatican the UN costs a large fortune to maintain. 

Did you know that the annual UN Budget ($5.7 Billion) is larger than that of 126 countries? Such as Libya, Congo, El Salvador, Paraguay, Nepal, Cameroon, Botswana, Bahrain, Malta, Georgia, Honduras, Jamaica etc etc etc.  Did you know that there are 29 million people in Nepal? 24 million in Cameroon? 9 million in Honduras? The UN is a colossal waste of money, and like all bureaucracies (cancers) its only real focus is on growing - taking everything it can get from its host in order to keep growing - and defending itself against all attack by pretending to be a part of and good to the host. 

Rant over :smile:   Thanks for reading/listening. 

Heavy duty, I see your all over it like a rash mate.

Thanks for the info, too much for me too handle, better go and grab another cold one :partytime2:

On 3/24/2018 at 9:58 PM, giddyup said:

Never understood why there should be any conditions placed on where you decide to live once you qualify for the OAP  Surely it must be cheaper to allow pensioners to live overseas and fund their own health care, minus the other rebates that are paid in Australia like rates, pharmaceutical benefits, public transport, utilities etc..

More than likely a numbers game, take me for example, to return to Australia and receive 9,600 baht a week to pay more than that in rent wouldn't make it feasible for me, that and knowing that I would lose staying here for two years, makes me want to vomit, the price of beer alone Vs here is a worry in its self....lol

5 hours ago, ELVIS123456 said:

Agree - and all that does apply IF you are living permanently in Australia (and have for at least 2 years) at the time you qualify and apply for the OAP.

Australia first changed the rules some years back, when it become apparent that a lot of people from Greece and Italy (and some in UK), who had previously lived for many years in Australia, had applied for and got the OAP with no intention of ever living in Australia again.  So they changed it so that to get the OAP you had to be a resident of Australia at the time you applied, and many came back to apply for the OAP and once granted they immediately had gone back to their 'old country'.  So they changed it again and made it the current rules: if you are a resident and come back and claim the OAP, you must be a resident with the intention of staying permanently, and you cannot take the OAP overseas until after minimum of 24 months as a permanent resident of Aust. 

I agree that people should not be able to get the OAP from anywhere in the world just because they meet the minimum working/living period in Aust (10 years). Perhaps it would be reasonable to introduce some form of concession for those who have met the maximum working/living period (35 years), so that they can apply for the OAP from anywhere in the world - like the citizens of USA and many other countries.  Perhaps it might have more chance of being accepted if for this exemption the minimum period of living in Aust (after age 16) was 44 years - which means that person would be a min of 60 years old before they left for overseas. A lot of people find themselves unable to keep/find a job once they hit 55-60, so allowing them to start a new life in a cheaper country, and still reward them for contributing for so long to Australia by getting the OAP overseas once qualified.  Seems reasonable to me - it wouldnt do it for everyone (me included) but at least those who are in that situation in the future could get treated fairly.

Getting a little ahead of yourself their my friend, lets drop that back to 55 and agree to disagree 555

On 3/22/2018 at 6:20 AM, Gregster said:

Plus if you have anything left when you go into a retirement home, it will cost you hundreds of thousands of dollars, while for a person on the full pension, it is free.

I don't know about that, it cost my mum $325,000 to go into a retirement home, and she was on the pension, sure she owned a modest two bedroom unit in crappy suburb in Sydney's south-west.

On 22/3/2561 at 5:42 PM, giddyup said:

I think the only way to get answers to your questions is to ring Centrelink on their international number and have a talk with someone. Normally to qualify you would have to either have lived in Australia for 2 years prior to becoming eligible or return at 65 (or whatever age you qualify) and spend 2 years in Oz to meet the conditions to make the pension portable. I don't know if Centrelink makes exceptions to that rule in special circumstances, but why have you waited until turning 73 to do anything about it?

...but why have you waited until turning 73 to do anything about it?

Good question of course. I did call the predecessor of Centrelink years ago (in those days my health not too bad) and was told very clearly that there was no possible way that Australians living abroad would ever get the OAP. 

For years I accepted that as the answer and it's only recently I noticed a highlighted comment on a TV thread, I clicked and went to the full post and found several messages which mentioned two things:

- Being in Australia at the time of lodging the OAP application form, and

- Portability.

So in the next few days I will call Hobart.

Thanks.

12 hours ago, ELVIS123456 said:

Agree - and all that does apply IF you are living permanently in Australia (and have for at least 2 years) at the time you qualify and apply for the OAP.

Australia first changed the rules some years back, when it become apparent that a lot of people from Greece and Italy (and some in UK), who had previously lived for many years in Australia, had applied for and got the OAP with no intention of ever living in Australia again.  So they changed it so that to get the OAP you had to be a resident of Australia at the time you applied, and many came back to apply for the OAP and once granted they immediately had gone back to their 'old country'.  So they changed it again and made it the current rules: if you are a resident and come back and claim the OAP, you must be a resident with the intention of staying permanently, and you cannot take the OAP overseas until after minimum of 24 months as a permanent resident of Aust. 

I agree that people should not be able to get the OAP from anywhere in the world just because they meet the minimum working/living period in Aust (10 years). Perhaps it would be reasonable to introduce some form of concession for those who have met the maximum working/living period (35 years), so that they can apply for the OAP from anywhere in the world - like the citizens of USA and many other countries.  Perhaps it might have more chance of being accepted if for this exemption the minimum period of living in Aust (after age 16) was 44 years - which means that person would be a min of 60 years old before they left for overseas. A lot of people find themselves unable to keep/find a job once they hit 55-60, so allowing them to start a new life in a cheaper country, and still reward them for contributing for so long to Australia by getting the OAP overseas once qualified.  Seems reasonable to me - it wouldnt do it for everyone (me included) but at least those who are in that situation in the future could get treated fairly.

Why should somebody who has lived in Oz, or any other country, for the minimum 10 years be denied a part pension? should somebody who has worked in different countries, paying taxes and adding to the economy, be entitled to nothing, or be entitled to part pensions from those countries where he/she qualifies?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, halloween said:

Why should somebody who has lived in Oz, or any other country, for the minimum 10 years be denied a part pension? should somebody who has worked in different countries, paying taxes and adding to the economy, be entitled to nothing, or be entitled to part pensions from those countries where he/she qualifies?

I think he was just referring to the current (10 years), although the part pension for 10 years is hardly something to aspire too IMO

14 hours ago, halloween said:

You can only get the pension in Aust IF you qualify by having lived/worked in Aust for at least 10 years before that, and are living in Australia when you apply. I agree with the rule that states you cannot apply from overseas and stay overseas, when you only meet the minimum criterion (10 years) . My view is that someone who has lived/worked for 35+ years should be allowed to apply while living overseas and stay living overseas, as recognition of their long period of living/working in Australia. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, ELVIS123456 said:

You can only get the pension in Aust IF you qualify by having lived/worked in Aust for at least 10 years before that, and are living in Australia when you apply. I agree with the rule that states you cannot apply from overseas and stay overseas, when you only meet the minimum criterion (10 years) . My view is that someone who has lived/worked for 35+ years should be allowed to apply while living overseas and stay living overseas, as recognition of their long period of living/working in Australia. 

If I'm right just like England, who the Auss Gov top up theirs (if applicable ) once they leave Auss

Thanks for posting that Gregster, I did not know I could apply for a senior's card at 60, I am heading back tomorrow for a few months work and turn 60 in July so thanks for the heads up in the link I will go and inquire.

• Like 2

Great reading Gregster. Well done some very good advice there. I lived in Los for 6 years returned to Aus October 26, 2016. I am now 67.applied for oap when I returned waited 4 months while they considered whether to grant me the oap. They agreed in feb 2017 paid me back money but asked me many times did I intend going overseas. They told me I could not travel os for 2 years. So no problem there. Paid Centrelink a visit recently asking when can I go for a months holiday, I asked did my 2 years start from my arrival date back to Australia? Lady did not know so she asked another staff member who confirmed yes I can travel after oct 26 this year. Not as some people advised me that my time to travel would start from the day they granted my oap.so wheels up late October 

• Like 2

So Gregster 

Are you saying that if one was an Auss resident up to the age of of pension & they get it, they can automatically go overseas for as long as they like & not having to answer to Centerlink 

49 minutes ago, BEVUP said:

So Gregster 

Are you saying that if one was an Auss resident up to the age of of pension & they get it, they can automatically go overseas for as long as they like & not having to answer to Centerlink 

That's what I did. I got my OAP at 65 then moved to Thailand about a year later. Been here 8 years and received my pension payment from C'link regularly.

• Like 2

Thanks for posting that Gregster, I did not know I could apply for a senior's card at 60, I am heading back tomorrow for a few months work and turn 60 in July so thanks for the heads up in the link I will go and inquire.

Apply online for the Seniors Card mate. Just punch in your Medicare number, tick the box saying you don’t work more than 20 hours’ paid work across a 12 month period and they post it to you. Too easy!
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

That's what I did. I got my OAP at 65 then moved to Thailand about a year later. Been here 8 years and received my pension payment from C'link regularly.

Same for me, but I had been out of Aus. in Thailand for a few years but fought the non-resident status and won my case (written up ealier in this long running thread) departed about 3 years after gaining the pension and have been back in Thailand since 2010 without any problems. 

• Like 1