Australian Aged Pension

4 hours ago, ozfarang said:

Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme.

When you receive the OAP you pay only $6.60 for medicine on the PBS.

If you leave the country for more than 6 weeks your entitlement to the PBS is cancelled and only reinstated when you return to Australia.

Thats how it works for my situation.

It was not reinstated when I returned to Australia, apparently some faceless bureaucrat decided I had been out of Australia too long.

No big deal, about $200 pa extra, but just so god-damned petty.

Now I am locked into Thailand ( happily ) for a few years, it's irrelevant.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, Jessi said:

I'm in the same boat!! I get mine paid into my W'Pac account every 4 weeks which was due on 

23rd Oct. Nothing has been paid in???

I will also be calling them tomorrow to find out what is going on. I will check my Bank account before I call 

in case they pay it in tonight.

I checked my bank A/C and my pension has gone in overnight. 

Perhaps they had a glitch in their system or my bank did.

On 10/24/2020 at 11:16 AM, giddyup said:

Should my aged pension have been paid into my bank by now?

My last payment was on the 25th September, the pension is supposed to be paid every 28 days (in Thailand) and I make it 29 days and still no sign of it. Been here 11 years and never had a late payment yet. Anyone else experienced this?

Mine arrived at 00:05 this morning in my Australian bank account,first time its been later than the friday following Payment date

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/25/2020 at 10:17 AM, giddyup said:

They pay monthly when you're living overseas, but I'll give them a ring tomorrow and see what's going on.

I was told when I was in Australia that my pension would be paid monthly when I am overseas.

It’s now 18 months later and I am still being paid fortnightly and the payments never seem to be the same they vary by a dollar or two, that doesn’t worry me.

I have emailed Centrelink twice querying why payments did not convert to monthly as they stated when I advised them that I was moving overseas. Centrelink are aware I am overseas as I have received mail from them here giving exchange rates that would be used and advising of previous rate increase.

Is there something I have missed in the criteria for monthly payments?

It doesn’t bother me a great deal but all other Australians I know are on monthly payments.

Just now, Brer said:

I was told when I was in Australia that my pension would be paid monthly when I am overseas.

It’s now 18 months later and I am still being paid fortnightly and the payments never seem to be the same they vary by a dollar or two, that doesn’t worry me.

I have emailed Centrelink twice querying why payments did not convert to monthly as they stated when I advised them that I was moving overseas. Centrelink are aware I am overseas as I have received mail from them here giving exchange rates that would be used and advising of previous rate increase.

It doesn’t bother me a great deal but all other Australians I know are on monthly payments.

I did advise Centrelink before I left Oz that I was moving to Thailand. The payments after that were always monthly.

2 minutes ago, Brer said:

I don't know why they haven't change you out of the fortnightly cycle.

Just a small point, the 'overseas' payment isn't monthly (as in calendar months), it's every 4th Thursday (2 fortnights).

In other words it's every 4 weeks (not monthly). 

Mine is paid every 4th Thursday into my K Bank account, it's slightly different every month because of continuous changes in the exchange rate. 

6 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I did advise Centrelink before I left Oz that I was moving to Thailand. The payments after that were always monthly.

"I did advise Centrelink before I left Oz that I was moving to Thailand."

Can you please share:

- How you advised Centrelink?

- What reason you gave them for leaving OZ?

- Did you mention 'moving to Thailand' or did you say moving abroad & deliberately NOT mention your actual destination?

- Was there any pushback from Centrelink?

- Did they ask for any documentation on any/all of the above?

Thanks, appreciated. 

20 minutes ago, scorecard said:

"I did advise Centrelink before I left Oz that I was moving to Thailand."

Can you please share:

- How you advised Centrelink?

- What reason you gave them for leaving OZ?

- Did you mention 'moving to Thailand' or did you say moving abroad & deliberately NOT mention your actual destination?

- Was there any pushback from Centrelink?

- Did they ask for any documentation on any/all of the above?

Thanks, appreciated. 

I advised them in person as I had to advise them my house had been sold and the money now in my account would affect pension payments. I advised them I was moving to Thailand specifically, but get this, the woman at C'link said, you know your payments will stop when you move overseas. I said rubbish, you don't know what you're talking about. After she checked that I was correct she apologised, but had her nose put out of joint, and she spitefully actually stopped my first payment and I had to ring from Thailand and get it reinstated. The only paperwork I showed them was for the sale of my house. The payments have been regular every month for over 10 years now.

24 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I advised them in person as I had to advise them my house had been sold and the money now in my account would affect pension payments. I advised them I was moving to Thailand specifically, but get this, the woman at C'link said, you know your payments will stop when you move overseas. I said rubbish, you don't know what you're talking about. After she checked that I was correct she apologised, but had her nose put out of joint, and she spitefully actually stopped my first payment and I had to ring from Thailand and get it reinstated. The only paperwork I showed them was for the sale of my house. The payments have been regular every month for over 10 years now.

Thanks.

On 11/15/2020 at 10:40 AM, Brer said:

Are they paying your pension into a bank account in Australia or Thailand?  Possibly only monthly if paid into a Thai bank.

1 hour ago, rhodie said:

Are they paying your pension into a bank account in Australia or Thailand?  Possibly only monthly if paid into a Thai bank.

Hey that’s got me thinking as my pension is paid into an Australian bank not a Thai bank, so I presume that’s why it’s fortnightly.

Centrelink are to lazy to answer me, although they were quite helpful when I applied for the pension.

Thanks Rhodie 

4 minutes ago, Brer said:

Thanks giddy up that has now stuffed up my thinking.

I don't know how it works. I moved to Thailand nearly 11 years ago, maybe all overseas payments were made monthly then, I really don't know.

On 1/11/2008 at 5:04 AM, Nignoy said:

Sorry to be the bearer of Bad News, my wife and I are both australian old age pensioners, we were leaving australia on the 21st of september last year on a 6 month tour of asia and europe, we were informed by immigration at Brisbane if we stayed out of australia for more than 13 weeks we would both lose our age pension and have to wait a further 3 months before being eligable to apply again,so we cut short our trip and returned after 12 weeks,when we returned on the 3rd of december we contacted a solicitor to check up on this new regulation, uptil now all we are getting is conflicting informationas soon as we hear something definite in writing we will post it here Nignoy

I do not believe your pension is cut after 13 weeks, just reduced.

5 minutes ago, OzMan said:

I agree, further;

- I doubt that the Australia Border Force (immigration) are experts on such matters.

- I assume you're now back in Australia, can I suggest you call 132 300 (Centrelink Older Australians Line). These folks are experts good listeners, polite and give clear answers.  

- If you're still outside Australia sorry I don't know the direct dial number from abroad, however I suggest you call the main Centrelink International number and ask for the direct dial number for 'Older Australians'.  

Just now, scorecard said:

I agree, further;

- I doubt that the Australia Border Force (immigration) are experts on such matters.

- I assume you're now back in Australia, can I suggest you call 132 300 (Centrelink Older Australians Line). These folks are experts good listeners, polite and give clear answers.  

- If you're still outside Australia sorry I don't know the direct dial number from abroad, however can I suggest you call the main Centrelink International number and ask for the direct dial number for 'Older Australians'.  

55 minutes ago, OzMan said:

Some supplementary benefits are cut. Pharmaceutical and energy etc dropped. Border Force are not the experts on pension benefits. As stated the Older Australian service is the correct service for information 

3 hours ago, OzMan said:

I am in a similar situation having been out of Australia since January 2019, apart from a few visits for holiday. Today I phoned Centrelink about my pension while living overseas, while the rate is reduced, I still receive about 2/3 of my previous Australian Age pension. The main change for me is that while I lived in Australia about 22 years, before that living in Canada and UK for many years, while overseas I only receive benefit for the 22 years I lived in Australia. When I lived in Australia, my age pension was calculated on all of my Australian, UK and Canadian residence time, approx 35 years.

On 11/15/2020 at 11:21 AM, giddyup said:

She most likely did not explain that your payments would then fall in line with international payments processing calender,my payments were initially reduced but payments were corrected and the witheld ammount reistated the following month

23 minutes ago, norbra said:

She most likely did not explain that your payments would then fall in line with international payments processing calender,my payments were initially reduced but payments were corrected and the witheld ammount reistated the following month

No, she actually stopped payment. When I ran the International C'link number and explained what had happened, they said that "somebody" had stopped payment when it should never have been stopped. No way of knowing that it was definitely her, but it was a bit too coincidental as she had been my only contact.

On 11/16/2020 at 2:56 PM, giddyup said:

No, I get mine paid into the ANZ in Australia, it's paid monthly.

From government site 1st September 2020, so still none the wiser maybe it’s because of Covid.

If your payments can continue while you’re outside Australia and you intend to be away for:

• less than 12 months, we'll continue to pay your payment into your Australian bank account every 2 weeks
  • more than 12 months, we'll pay you every 4 weeks into your Australian or overseas bank account.

15 hours ago, Artisi said:

Me too, Aus bank, I then transfer in $A to a foreign account in Thailand and transfer to Thai account as and when needed. 

What are your transfer fees? ANZ charges me $18 for a transfer of $10K in Aussie dollars.

7 minutes ago, giddyup said:

What are your transfer fees? ANZ charges me $18 for a transfer of $10K in Aussie dollars.

Macquarie bank charges AUD15 for all international transfers regardless of amount, very simple process, all on-line. Money in my K Bank a/c in Thailand within 48 hours, or less.  

Just now, scorecard said:

Macquarie bank charges AUD15 for all international transfers regardless of amount, very simple process, all on-line. Money in my K Bank a/c in Thailand within 48 hours, or less.  

Thanks, then ANZ is only $3 more. I always transfer the maximum amount which is A$10K, but it's more expensive to transfer in Aussie dollars than Thai Baht, but given the poor exchange rate that ANZ offers it still works out much, much cheaper for me to pay the $18.

54 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Thanks, then ANZ is only $3 more. I always transfer the maximum amount which is A$10K, but it's more expensive to transfer in Aussie dollars than Thai Baht, but given the poor exchange rate that ANZ offers it still works out much, much cheaper for me to pay the $18.

Did a transfer last week from CBA: fee AUD11.00, rate 20.34

Just did a transfer today from

TransferWise: fee AUD 2.05, rate 22.16 see pic

Cost to open TransferWise account: zero

Cost to transfer money from my CBA to my TransferWise account:  zero

Will I ever use CBA (or any other mainstream AU bank) to transfer money overseas: of course not. 

2B752871-6A75-42A2-B9A0-40988EE5B072.jpeg

Edit: I was able to open the TransferWise account from overseas, but needed an AU address.

Archived