Australian Aged Pension

52 minutes ago, Nout said:

The lucky country!

Yeah they're certainly not doing us any favours.......considering TransferWise say they're only paying a mid market rate. Although we shouldn't be paying fees to the RBA.

My money into my bank 'n' I'll take my chances me thinks. Trying to get out of being paid by the RBA could be opening a can of worms I'd rather I hadn't. Going home and regaining residency may even be required.

IMG_20210207_200050.jpg

IMG_20210207_200152.jpg

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, UncleMhee said:

While it's true TransferWise give you an Australian Account with BSB; their terms & conditions state the funds must come from an account in your name. Centrelink are not a bank. Are you actually doing this?

Yes, others are funding my Transferwise account without a problem, in accordance with the following T&C stated by them (Transferwise):

" ...the account number and BSB code we give you work in the same way when receiving money. Just give your account name, number and BSB code, to your friends, company or customers, and they can send you AUD from any Australian bank account. And no one pays any fees."

On 2/6/2021 at 5:04 PM, UncleMhee said:

No.......Only from Centrelink to your nominated Thai Bank via the RBA. What rate on the dollar they pay I have no idea about; though I'd like to think it would be the official one. They do waffle on about possibly paying you in USD, depending on your circumstances. So all things considered until I know the RBA's conversion rate.......it'll be into my Oz account to my Thai account via TransferWise for next day arrival.

Scroll to "How we make payments"

"If we’re paying into a bank account outside Australia, we’ll pay you in local currency or US dollars. This will depend on what country you’re living in."

https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/topics/payment-schedule-and-rates-people-outside-australia/29791#a7

Scroll to "Overseas account"

If your payment goes into an overseas account, we’ll pay you in the local currency or US dollars. This depends on the country you’re in.

The payment conversion is organised by the Reserve Bank of Australia using the exchange rate when the payment's issued. In most cases the money will reach your account 2 to 6 days after it’s issued.

https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/services/centrelink/age-pension/how-manage-your-payment/travel-outside-australia/payments-while-outside-australia

Get your money sent to your Aussie bank account then transfer it to Transferwise, who in turn transfers it to your Thai bank account of choice. I've been doing this for several years now without any problems. This way your exchange rate is fixed at a rate you've decided to run with. Give it a test run and put an amount in Au dollars and you will be surprised how much the normal banks rip us off. Cheers

Just now, Mason45 said:

Get your money sent to your Aussie bank account then transfer it to Transferwise, who in turn transfers it to your Thai bank account of choice. I've been doing this for several years now without any problems. This way your exchange rate is fixed at a rate you've decided to run with. Give it a test run and put an amount in Au dollars and you will be surprised how much the normal banks rip us off. Cheers

By the way Travelwise doesn't hold our money like banks do, many transfers are done very swiftly but the usual hold up is the Thai banks accepting it.

• 1 month later...
15 minutes ago, ozfarang said:

Read this regarding the Australians in France who think they are more special than the rest of us when applying for the aged pension.

Pathetic

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-03-20/australian-retirees-feeling-poor-in-france-seek-pension-deal/13227946

I think they have a fair point.

If you're eligible for the OAP, I reckon you should be able to access it overseas.

I think it's unfair for someone living overseas to have to return to Australia for the 2 year period

in order to get it.

But that's just me.

10 minutes ago, ozfarang said:

Pathetic

Why is it "pathetic"?

They're just lobbying for the same thing many expats in Thailand (all around the world actually) want - ditch the 2 year sentence back in Oz for portability regardless of which country a person is living in.

1 hour ago, ozfarang said:

Read this regarding the Australians in France who think they are more special than the rest of us when applying for the aged pension.

Pathetic

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-03-20/australian-retirees-feeling-poor-in-france-seek-pension-deal/13227946

I wholeheartedly agree; pathetic!! The tone of the article seems designed to be adversarial; more class division through the way some have pulled out their service to the country and awards received BS, as if it somehow sets them above you me & the doorpost because of wealth. We've all provided services to the country!!

Senator Abetz quote also seems to have a rather different interpretation of how an Australian living overseas can apply for OAP. Is this a hitherto unknown loophole? And if so can those of us overseas in Asia at aged pension time just pop over to India, since we do have an agreement with them?

2 minutes ago, UncleMhee said:

I wholeheartedly agree; pathetic!! The tone of the article seems designed to be adversarial; more class division through the way some have pulled out their service to the country and awards received BS, as if it somehow sets them above you me & the doorpost because of wealth. We've all provided services to the country!!

Senator Abetz quote also seems to have a rather different interpretation of how an Australian living overseas can apply for OAP. Is this a hitherto unknown loophole? And if so can those of us overseas in Asia at aged pension time just pop over to India, since we do have an agreement with them?

That was exactly my point, they think they are above the rest of us.

Stay in France and whinge or do what everyone else who wants to apply for the pension in countries with no bilateral arrangement does and come back to Australia and APPLY.

The rules are the Gov web site, so they should have done some research before they committed to sell up and leave Australia.

Simple

Don't understand the drama, it's very simple and straight forward, 

1. You have to be in Australia to apply. 

2. You have to have been in Australia for a 2 year period before applying if you want portability, if not portability - isn't available.

30 minutes ago, Artisi said:

Don't understand the drama, it's very simple and straight forward, 

1. You have to be in Australia to apply. 

2. You have to have been in Australia for a 2 year period before applying if you want portability, if not portability - isn't available.

It's not either or!! It's be back two years before, or wait two years after. Even then it's just restricted portability, not none at all......... 

Payment may be suspended for short overseas absences during the 2-year period and does not have to be reclaimed on return to Australia. A short absence from Australia (as long as the person is still classed as an Australian resident) will not impact on the end date of the 2-year period (i.e. the absence still counts towards the person's 2-year period).

https://guides.dss.gov.au/guide-social-security-law/7/1/4

Portability of payments for former residence

The fundamental tenets of the Australian social security system are residence and need. Because residence is a fundamental qualification criterion for Australian social security payments, former residents who return to Australia and subsequently claim Australian social security payments with indefinite portability, are required to stay in Australia for at least two years before their payment becomes portable. The policy rationale for this requirement is that indefinite portability is only available to Australian residents. The former resident rule prevents people who lose their connections with Australia to return to Australia just to obtain a pension and return overseas.

Further information on the former residence requirements is in the Social Security Guide at Chapter 7.1.4 Requirements for former residents of Australia receiving a portable pension.

https://www.dss.gov.au/about-the-department/international/policy/portability-of-australian-income-support-payments#04

1 hour ago, UncleMhee said:

It's not either or!! It's be back two years before, or wait two years after. Even then it's just restricted portability, not none at all......... 

Payment may be suspended for short overseas absences during the 2-year period and does not have to be reclaimed on return to Australia. A short absence from Australia (as long as the person is still classed as an Australian resident) will not impact on the end date of the 2-year period (i.e. the absence still counts towards the person's 2-year period).

https://guides.dss.gov.au/guide-social-security-law/7/1/4

Portability of payments for former residence

The fundamental tenets of the Australian social security system are residence and need. Because residence is a fundamental qualification criterion for Australian social security payments, former residents who return to Australia and subsequently claim Australian social security payments with indefinite portability, are required to stay in Australia for at least two years before their payment becomes portable. The policy rationale for this requirement is that indefinite portability is only available to Australian residents. The former resident rule prevents people who lose their connections with Australia to return to Australia just to obtain a pension and return overseas.

Further information on the former residence requirements is in the Social Security Guide at Chapter 7.1.4 Requirements for former residents of Australia receiving a portable pension.

https://www.dss.gov.au/about-the-department/international/policy/portability-of-australian-income-support-payments#04

You are correct, if not in Aust 2 years before applying, it's wait 2 years after - with  few restrictions .

However that can be a bit flexible, if you can shown that you were temporary out of Aust during the 2 years prior and it is accepted, you have portibility. 

I went thru' this about 12 years ago, it took some time with lots of back and forth and was finally reviewed at a different level than the normal centrelink office, I was  accepted under resident status. 

If you look back about 12 years in this posting, it was fully written up.

7 minutes ago, Artisi said:

You are correct, if not in Aust 2 years before applying, it's wait 2 years after - with  few restrictions .

Correct, return and wait in Australia, short trips outside permitted, for 2 years to gain portability.

But can apply immediately on arriving back in Australia, and if all in order payments start within a few weeks. 

Funny question but what about if I am in Australia when I turn 67 and apply for the pension. Application declined as  do not qualify due to too many assets.

2 years later move to Thailand and spend my assets over the next few years.

Once assets reduced return to Australia and re-apply - would I have to do the 2 years penance or is this considered to already have been endured?

Whether she's living in France, Thailand or Upper Volta she's taken early retirement, cashed a bit of super and gone on her way rejoicing... totally unaware that she cannot apply for the pension outside of Australia and if she returns to claim it after a few years away it's not portable for two years.

She's not the first to fall for this, I've seen many here and it's something that should be printed as a warning on departure cards.

6 minutes ago, sceadugenga said:

She's not the first to fall for this, I've seen many here and it's something that should be printed as a warning on departure cards.

No departure card required to depart Australia now as far as I know

1 hour ago, patongphil said:

Funny question but what about if I am in Australia when I turn 67 and apply for the pension. Application declined as  do not qualify due to too many assets.

2 years later move to Thailand and spend my assets over the next few years.

Once assets reduced return to Australia and re-apply - would I have to do the 2 years penance or is this considered to already have been endured?

I would say 2 years penance, however, if you have plenty of brass - I would suggest a number of trips each year to / from Thailand as you reduce your assets and then apply for the pension pointing out that you were "just travelling " - but ensure you maintain everything else in Aust as if you lived there, house, bank accounts, any club memberships, car / house insurance etc etc, what they are looking for is "are you still a resident" 

32 minutes ago, Artisi said:

I would say 2 years penance, however, if you have plenty of brass - I would suggest a number of trips each year to / from Thailand as you reduce your assets and then apply for the pension pointing out that you were "just travelling " - but ensure you maintain everything else in Aust as if you lived there, house, bank accounts, any club memberships, car / house insurance etc etc, what they are looking for is "are you still a resident" 

PS to the above, I would also look to reducing your assets ASAP, how you do that is your call - but I'm sure a smart accountant will have a few ideas ????

Reading this I am astounded, as I thought that acquiring assets during ones life, was to allow independence in our retirements, not discussing how to get a "benefit" from the taxpayer.

Yes we all paid taxes to a greater or lesser extent depending on our circumstances, however the aged pension was brought in to assist those without enough assets to ensure a reasonable older age, not to supplement those with assets.

Just my thoughts on the subject

I know I will be rain on from on high, with " I paid taxes all my life," I WANT my ENTITLEMENT"

We have enjoyed the benefits of the infrastructure our tax system provided, schools, roads, airports, bridges health care and support for those less fortunate than some.

9 minutes ago, opalred said:

would anyone know /after 16 yers here on oz pension /if i wanted medical treatment in oz what is the story /ihave children there /do you have to stay awile /how long/cheers

I was born in OZ, worked abroad for 30+ years, during that time never used Medicare and lost the card.

Went to Centrelink/Medicare office, they said:

- Totally no problem, She completed a very simple form and I signed the form.

- No questions of discussion about being out of Oz/ how/where card was lost etc. She said 'we will get a search conducted for your old number and if we can find it Medicare will re-start it and give you a new card. If the number can't be found you get a new number'.

- I waited for a short time, the officer came and asked me to return to her desk.

- She immediately informed me 'a new card has been ordered, it will come by mail within about 7 days (came earlier), and here's a signed letter indicating you have full access to all Medicare entitlements, and your  new number, use this letter if needed in Australia until your new card comes.

- One week earlier I had applied for the OAP with no complications at all. No doubt the  Centrelink/Medicare could see that details.

In any event I don't see how OAP/Not OAP/in OZ has any affect on Medicare entitlements. But when you're out of OZ you can't use your Medicare card. 

- End...

1 minute ago, scorecard said:

I was born in OZ, worked abroad for 30+ years, during that time never used Medicare and lost the card.

Went to Centrelink/Medicare office, they said:

- Totally no problem, She completed a very simple form and I signed the form.

- No questions of discussion about being out of Oz/ how/where card was lost etc. She said 'we will get a search conducted for your old number and if we can find it Medicare will re-start it and give you a new card. If the number can't be found you get a new number'.

- I waited for a short time, the officer came and asked me to return to her desk.

- She immediately informed me 'a new card has been ordered, it will come by mail within about 7 days (came earlier), and here's a signed letter indicating you have full access to all Medicare entitlements, and your new number, use this letter if needed until your new card comes.

- End...

I have managed to keep my Medicare card current by ordering a new one just before old one is due to expire. I ring the toll free number from Thailand and order the new card, but if you give an address in Australia a new card gets sent out automatically. I was always under the impression if you left Oz for any length of time you became ineligible for medical treatment, but you contradict that. Good to know.

1 minute ago, giddyup said:

I have managed to keep my Medicare card current by ordering a new one just before old one is due to expire. I ring the toll free number from Thailand and order the new card, but if you give an address in Australia a new card gets sent out automatically. I was always under the impression if you left Oz for any length of time you became ineligible for medical treatment, but you contradict that. Good to know.

From my discussions with the Centrelink/Medicare officer:

- When you are outside of OZ (on OAP not on OAP) you cannot use Medicare.

- When you are physically in Australia you can use Medicare and (from my discussions) it can be immediately after you return.

- What I'm not sure of is the entitlement if your official address on their database is abroad????

-When I got the new number/card my address had already just been changed back to Oz. 

6 minutes ago, scorecard said:

From my discussions with the Centrelink/Medicare officer:

- When you are outside of OZ (on OAP not on OAP) you cannot use Medicare.

- When you are physically in Australia you can use Medicare and (from my discussions) it can be immediately after you return.

- What I'm not sure of is the entitlement if your official address on their database is abroad????

-When I got the new number/card my address had already just been changed back to Oz. 

I never had a replacement card sent to Thailand, it is always sent to a friends address in Oz. I just figured it might be easier to keep the card current, than have to apply for a replacement if I ever returned to Oz, which I can't envisage at any time in the future, but you never know.

16 minutes ago, opalred said:

what  if i went back to see my children and went to a dr or hospital for treatment/have to pay or turned away as no insurance ?

You would only get free treatment under Medicare if you could prove that  you have permanently returned to Oz.

Then that would become a can of worms coz you would lose pension portability and would have to remain in Oz for two years to qualify again.

Medicare Card Legislation

1 hour ago, opalred said:

what  if i went back to see my children and went to a dr or hospital for treatment/have to pay or turned away as no insurance ?

Go online complete a form for replacement card, give an Oz address, should be the end of it new one issued 

1 hour ago, LosLobo said:

You would only get free treatment under Medicare if you could prove that  you have permanently returned to Oz.

Then that would become a can of worms coz you would lose pension portability and would have to remain in Oz for two years to qualify again.

Medicare Card Legislation

Why do you lose pension portability if already granted its portable. 

Archived