Overstay

OK guys

I am at the moment on and 11 month overstay, if I get to Bangkok airport with a ticket and 20k will I be alowed to leave ok, as have heared some strange stores,

Please I know I have been a prat so no telling how stupid I have been

Steve

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Believe the current policy is that you will not be allowed to leave until a police investigation is undertaken so think the procedure if over the 40 days is to obtain open ticket out/20k plus a bit for fines and turn yourself in to immigration for the fastest processing. I would suggest contact Sunbelt for legal representation if you do not have friends that can accompany you. Don't believe the cost is that much - and if I am wrong they can advise you of the best action.

Believe the current policy is that you will not be allowed to leave until a police investigation is undertaken so think the procedure if over the 40 days is to obtain open ticket out/20k plus a bit for fines and turn yourself in to immigration for the fastest processing. I would suggest contact Sunbelt for legal representation if you do not have friends that can accompany you. Don't believe the cost is that much - and if I am wrong they can advise you of the best action.

I can do a boarder run pay 20k plus a 5k fine and get my passport cleared

Where did you get this information?

A land based border run is most definately NOT RECOMMENDED when on even a short overstay. The buses are regularly stopped and offenders removed to the IDC. This will lead to a world of hurt, don't try it.

Edited by Crossy

I have only done a 'land based border run' once, but on that single time I can tell you that we were stopped by the Police at 11pm at night. As the police boarded, they asked all of the individuals on board to show their Passport (if they were foreigners) or National ID Card (if they were Thai).

They were looking for any individuals who were in Thailand illegally. They checked my passport thoroughly, first my front page to see if it were me, and then to my visa page to see if I had a visa.

I would follow Crossy's point and not go by land. My thai boyfriend had told me at the time, the police do this quite often.

Overstayers can pay overstay fine at Aran immigration checkpoint.

- Note: If you have paid the overstay fine and are stamped out of Thailand, the Cambodian Immigration could reject entry and send you back to Thailand without stamping you in and out of Cambodia. In this case the Thai Immigration will have to send you to Immigration Bureau in Bangkok for investigation/interrogation/deportation.

- Cambodian Immigration could reject entry for different reasons. This is nothing to do with Thai Immigration.

*** Please note that if you are on the way to the border, police or immigration officers can check your passport, and if you are found to have overstayed your visa they will arrest you and send you to the nearest police station, and then to court.

The above is on home page of Aranyaprathet Immigration website

Where did you get this information?

A land based border run is most definately NOT RECOMMENDED when on even a short overstay. The buses are regularly stopped and offenders removed to the IDC. This will lead to a world of hurt, don't try it.

Regularly stopped?

That should read: occassionally stopped.

I have only done a 'land based border run' once, but on that single time I can tell you that we were stopped by the Police at 11pm at night. As the police boarded, they asked all of the individuals on board to show their Passport (if they were foreigners) or National ID Card (if they were Thai).

They were looking for any individuals who were in Thailand illegally. They checked my passport thoroughly, first my front page to see if it were me, and then to my visa page to see if I had a visa.

I would follow Crossy's point and not go by land. My thai boyfriend had told me at the time, the police do this quite often.

This it an unusual time to be doing a border run, and at that time of the night you'd expect to be stopped.

I flew out from Suvarnabhumi on the 27th of november last year together with a swedish friend who had overstayed almost 14 months. No problem at all at the airport.

The only comment he got from the immigration officer when paying the fine was: "you have overstayed long time, sir", to which he replied "yes". That was all.

It did not take more than 10 minutes all in all with the paperwork for his fine.

Björne

...if I get to Bangkok airport with a ticket and 20k will I be alowed to leave ok

I have had to pay the 20k Baht fine twice and have had no difficulty , i just went through customs they pointed me where to pay overstay , the officers joked a little bit about how they enjoyed my money , and i was on my way. BUT YOU MUST MAKE IT TO THE BKK AIRPORT WITHOUT BEING CAUGHT. If you are caught in between you will go to IDC for sure....

I flew out from Suvarnabhumi on the 27th of november last year together with a swedish friend who had overstayed almost 14 months. No problem at all at the airport.

The only comment he got from the immigration officer when paying the fine was: "you have overstayed long time, sir", to which he replied "yes". That was all.

It did not take more than 10 minutes all in all with the paperwork for his fine.

Björne

Has anyone got any update info of big overstays going through Bangkok airport within the last few months

Steve

I can see the time coming soon when overstayers will be treated very differently. Most other visa rules have been tightened or changed, this one can't be far away.

I wonder what these long overstayers would think of foreigners in their countries doing the same thing?

Björne

Has anyone got any update info of big overstays going through Bangkok airport within the last few months

Steve

Steve, 27th of november last year is not yet two months ago....

Björne

My mate was 8 years overstay and paid 20,500 baht. He put it in an envelope and slipped it to the officer at customs.

I hope you don't get caught and hard time.

Just say you thought you'd be kind enough to put in a nice envelope and blame the rest on the language barrier...if you get caught...

Otherwise, your friend got a good deal..

My mate was 8 years overstay and paid 20,500 baht. He put it in an envelope and slipped it to the officer at customs.

why do people periodically come on this forum and try to suggest that immi officials can be bribed? I think there is great risk in trying this, perhaps arrest and prosecution.

why do people periodically come on this forum and try to suggest that immi officials can be bribed? I think there is great risk in trying this, perhaps arrest and prosecution.

:o:D:D:D:D

It never ceases to amaze me that folks can come to Thailand and do as they please and stay as long as they like and then believe that they can waltz out the door as if nothing was wrong. Maybe if some of these overstayers were made guests of the Bangkok (monkey house) Hilton and charged for the stay plus fine and deportation it might send a message. I doubt it would be heeded though.

It never ceases to amaze me that folks can come to Thailand and do as they please and stay as long as they like and then believe that they can waltz out the door as if nothing was wrong. Maybe if some of these overstayers were made guests of the Bangkok (monkey house) Hilton and charged for the stay plus fine and deportation it might send a message. I doubt it would be heeded though.

like I said I realy dont need members on this forum telling us what they would like to see happen to us I know how stupid i have been I just want some usfull advice so please keep your comments to yourself

Steve

OK guys

I am at the moment on and 11 month overstay, if I get to Bangkok airport with a ticket and 20k will I be alowed to leave ok, as have heared some strange stores,

Steve

Steve

I have a friend who is overstayed for about 8 months now, he told me all you have to do is go to the airport and they will set you free :o

like I said I realy dont need members on this forum telling us what they would like to see happen to us I know how stupid i have been I just want some usfull advice so please keep your comments to yourself

Steve

Monkey house??? We know who Thaikahuna has been knocking around with. Also the "Bangkok Hilton", Bang Khwang Prison, is only for prisoners who receive long sentences not for visa overstayers. I think you've been reading those over-sensationalised books in between barfines.

a mate's friend left the country last monday, that's what he thought at the time - 147 days overstay, they told him to pay 25k - stuuupid idiot started to argue with them that he was only to pay 20k, and then they took him downtown somewhere, my friend hasn't heard from him yet, would be exciting to hear the end of it. so lesson learned; pay and smile, and don't overstay!

Edited by kash

OK guys

Steve

Of all the things you have done, this is the most stupid. I would have thought that you would be smarter than to advertise your situation on a public forum and then give your name to boot.

Edited by mouse

OK guys

Steve

As far as I know, visa over stayers are charged 500 baht per day that is almost 200000 baht per annum. I think there is a ceiling of 20000 baht for someone who can give a good excuse for overstay, (ill health etc) but this is discretionary and Immigration could charge the full 500 baht for each day here illegally.

If you cannot cough up with the fine, no problem, you will still be permitted to stay in Thailand by pleasure of the Thai government for an indefinite period.

It is these sort of people who continue to flaunt the law that in the end are not doing themselves any favours plus create a tightening of the screws for those who respect and abide by the laws of Thailand.

You may find that your home consulate/embassy wont want to know or get involved with these ridiculous cases regarding their nationals.

Edited by distortedlink

The maximum fine is 20,000 baht.

Plus two years in jail.

Section 81 : Any alien who stay in the Kingdom without permission or with permission expired or revoked

shall be punished with imprisonment not exceeding two years or a fine not exceeding 20,000 Baht or

both

Definately do not go to a land border. On each of my trips to Laos, the bus was stopped and checked (But only on the way back to Bangkok). Head to the airport and pray they let you out with a 20000 Baht fine. With 11 months of overstay it will be impossible to explain your way out of things. That was no small oversight. Good luck though. I would also take some of the other posters advice of maybe consulting a lawyer.

ps. Someone I met in Laos, on my last visa run, had just overstayed for a year and 2 months. His theory was that immigration at land borders only check the day and month on the stamp. It seemed to work for him as he managed to pass through Thai immigration without problems and even got another Tourist visa in Laos. Which I'm sure he is planning to overstay on again. Some people are either really brave or really stupid.