Dog-friendly Parks Bangkok?

Hello Everyone,

We have two small dogs (shitzu) who usually just hang out in our house or garden. They've got all their shots and what not and my kids want to take them out to a park. I've never seen anyone walking their dogs in a park here. Are dogs on leash even allowed? Any suggestions?

Bonnie

Hello Everyone,

We have two small dogs (shitzu) who usually just hang out in our house or garden. They've got all their shots and what not and my kids want to take them out to a park. I've never seen anyone walking their dogs in a park here. Are dogs on leash even allowed? Any suggestions?

Bonnie

There is a private dog park at the end of Sukhumvit 39 called Ozono. See the attached link for more information:

http://www.ozono.us/Park%20Features.htm

Hello Everyone,

Bonnie

There is a private dog park at the end of Sukhumvit 39 called Ozono. See the attached link for more information:

http://www.ozono.us/Park%20Features.htm

Do you have to become a member prior to using their park facilities?

Do you have to become a member prior to using their park facilities?

I'm not sure but I would think so. Call them at 02-259-2788 or 086-787-0102. Membership is quite steep!

Thanks for your suggestion. I know the place you're talking about but I was hoping for a bigger park...not that my dogs are that big. :o

Bonnie

bonnie, this isn't much help, but last week or so there was an article in the Bangkok Post about a public park that is now opened for dog walking. I am afraid I did not catch the name but maybe someone has some back issues and could search? It was in the Outlook section.

I don't know what part of bangkok you are in, but in the west part, in the district thawi wattana, there is a huge park called Phuttamonthon. It's not fenced park but clean and well maintained. You can drive inside the park, where there is a temple and artificial lakes. On weekends it's packed by people on picknics, but weekdays pretty empty. You can go there by phra pinklao elevated section or by phet kasem (this road is rather slow).

I don't know what part of bangkok you are in, but in the west part, in the district thawi wattana, there is a huge park called Phuttamonthon. It's not fenced park but clean and well maintained. You can drive inside the park, where there is a temple and artificial lakes. On weekends it's packed by people on picknics, but weekdays pretty empty. You can go there by phra pinklao elevated section or by phet kasem (this road is rather slow).

I have been to this park and planning on visiting it this weekend and bring Britney. It is a spacious park and you can go many places to find a private place to be with you dog and train or just walk her around. They have nice grass as well.

hi,

I've got a chihuahua, few weeks ago I took her to a park in front Food and Drug Administration department at Nontaburi, just passing through Sri Thanya hospital. In the evening there were many dogs there.. your dog can also make friend with other dogs too. My bambi also have 2 yorkshire terrier friends now :o

K

Update on Phuttamonthon Park. I went this weekend and there is a sign in Thai that says no dogs. However, my wife and I went anyway and picked a pretty secluded place and played with the dog on her long leash. I think for the most part it is not a problem if you don't let them run freely and pick up after them. Also, stay away from the buddha statue area.

This park is pretty big so it shouldn't be too difficult to find a nice place. It was Britney’s first time walking through a bunch of leaves on the ground. That was a great experience for her.

She slept good last night!

hi,

I've got a chihuahua, few weeks ago I took her to a park in front Food and Drug Administration department at Nontaburi, just passing through Sri Thanya hospital. In the evening there were many dogs there.. your dog can also make friend with other dogs too. My bambi also have 2 yorkshire terrier friends now :o

K

Not sure how old your Chihuahua is but if she is a pup, I would recommend her getting all her shots before she goes too many places.

hi,

I've got a chihuahua, few weeks ago I took her to a park in front Food and Drug Administration department at Nontaburi, just passing through Sri Thanya hospital. In the evening there were many dogs there.. your dog can also make friend with other dogs too. My bambi also have 2 yorkshire terrier friends now :D

K

Not sure how old your Chihuahua is but if she is a pup, I would recommend her getting all her shots before she goes too many places.

11 months now.. yes she got all shots.. what's your dog breed and how old? :o

k

k

Great....

Britney is a Boxer and she is 15 weeks.

Anymore pic's from Britney, Asaf? Gawd, she looks so much like my late boxer. :D

Nienke

k

Great....

Anymore pic's from Britney, Asaf? Gawd, she looks so much like my late boxer. :D

Nienke

Hi Nienke,

I hope all is well with you. I have been busy ever since I received my clicker! Thanks to you. Britney caught on within a couple of days. Now whenever she sees it she just sits or lays down waiting for the sound of the C/T.

I would agree using it is much better than anything else like a tongue. You must be accurate with the clicks and the sound is the same every time. She now constantly knows how to sit, lay and back up to sit each time. I started working on this before the clicker but now the clicker really reinforces the training. They hardest part is always remembering to bring treats and the clicker! I am now working on the stay command. Since the beginning I have always made her sit and be calm before I said come to eat. I place the bowl down and she has to stay until I say come.

At 15 ½ weeks she is really gaining her strength and balance. She zips around the yard. I am happy with everything except she still is trying to pull ahead when we hit the street. Daily I take her for two walks one at 4:30am and 6:00pm. She does so great when we go away from the house but as soon as we make the turn to come back she is trying to pull and starts to do the boxer breathing hard routine. As soon as she does this I go in a different direction or just stop and then she sits and I continue. Little by little she is getting better. I tried treats but she is just too distracted with all the sounds, smells, sights going on around her. It’s nice because she is being socialized in a neighborhood so she is getting used to bikes, cars, motorcycling, people walking, other dogs and humans chatting on the street. She is doing well with all that.

If we are in the grass (fenced) she is pretty good off leash but I always let her drag it in case she heads for the flower beds. But she is getting better at that also. Recall command she is doing well. I practice allot inside the house with the clicker. Also, the most important I have never scolded her after I had her come to me. I have noticed this is key element in the recall command which I now think back my brother made mistakes with our labs and why he would run away off leash. Britney doesn’t do that. If we are playing fetch and she runs the opposite direction I walk away and then she follows and gets allot of reinforcement for doing the right thing.

Sorry this was so long when you only asked about a picture! Hehehe I have some new pictures at 13 weeks and I will take some more this weekend at 16 weeks. I will take her to the park again which she loved tromping through the leaves last week. I will post very soon.....

I found an excellent park-- the "Ministry of Public Health" has a lot of land and is dog friendly. While there we saw several people walking their dogs, and a soi dogs who passed through. We had a pcinic & spent the day there lounging around, all in all it was an excellent place to bring our dog (the big black Giant schnauzer)! What would a glowing review be without pictures?! Here a few, you can get the feel of the area from them, enjoy :o

ministry_of_health2.jpg

ministry_of_health1.jpg

ministry_of_health5.jpg

ministry_of_health3.jpg

ministry_of_health4.jpg

ministry_of_health6.jpg

ministry_of_health7.jpg

ministry_of_health9.jpg

Edited by Yumiko

I found an excellent park-- the "Ministry of Public Health" has a lot of land and is dog friendly. While there we saw several people walking their dogs, and a soi dogs who passed through. We had a pcinic & spent the day there lounging around, all in all it was an excellent place to bring our dog (the big black Giant schnauzer)! What would a glowing review be without pictures?! Here a few, you can get the feel of the area from them, enjoy :o

Great - can you give us some detail where it is in Bangkok?

Thanks,

Asaf

Great - can you give us some detail where it is in Bangkok?

Thanks,

Asaf

Oops, yeah I guess it would help if I posted the details huh?! hehe :D Ok I should start by saying that both of the locations pictured below, Ministry of Public Health (in Nonthaburi) & Pet Paradise Park are drivable distance to people living in the Bangkok area.

The Ministry of Health has a HUGE plot of land with little lakes, and a perimeter moat. There are several gated entrances, but I'm not sure which gate we entered/drove through... After entering the gate we drove down the road looking for a good spot to get out. The white bridge crossing the perimeter moat looked like as good a place as any. The white bridge with temple looking thing in the first pic is right off of the road with parking spots all along. Another distinguishing landmark was a big white office building (it was only 2 or 3 stories if I remember correctly) at that same spot. To get there we called a pet taxi, but most taxi's will allow pets if you ask them first. We have taken our big dog in a "regular" taxi several times, you just need to ask the driver if they are OK with it first. The drive was about 45 minutes from our hotel, "Oakwood City Residence" near the Chongnonsee BTS station, up to MOPH/Nonthaburi. Well worth the drive!!!

Can i take my 2 giant dogs there? 2 great danes and a husky? can u give me the direction, we live in Mueng Ake rangsit area here

thank you

LMP

Im sorry but my Thai geography is horrible, and Im not totally sure where Mueng Ake rangsit is... MOPH is in Nonthaburi and if Mueng Ake is in Pathum Thani, acording to this map (link) I think you will be able to drive (Westward) to MOPH, though I don't know how long the drive would be.

If so, MOPH is the perfect place to take them, they will have seemingly endless space to run around off-leash.

Link to Ministry of Public health website & MAP - http://www.moph.go.th/about/map.php

Youtube video of my dog at MOPH #1 - http://youtube.com/watch?v=lQfsS2heloo

Youtube video of my dog at MOPH #2 - http://youtube.com/watch?v=70ej_hp30R4

ministry_of_health_entrance.jpg

ministry_of_health0.jpg

Also, another great place to take your dog is Pet Paradise Park! Not nearly as big as MOPH, but they have a good size swimming pool, a man-made lake your dog can also swim in, a fenced agility course, and plenty of areas for your dog to play. There is a store with anything you might need for your pet, and a restaurant. The owner is a vet herself, Dr. Watcheerat, and she speaks excellent english.

They also do doggie day care & boarding. I have boarded my giant schauzer in the air conditioned rooms twice, for about 10 days on each stay. My dog seemed happy each time we picked him up, we paid extra for him to going swimming every other day, and after each swim the dog gets a bath and blow dry. I would recommend boarding your dog there if needed.

Dr. Wacheerat & all the employees seem like very caring people! :o

www.petparadise2004.com

pet_paradise_park1.jpg

pet_paradise_park2.jpg

pet_paradise_park3.jpg

pet_paradise_park4.jpg

pet_paradise_park5.jpg

pet_paradise_park6.jpg

pet_paradise_park7.jpg

pet_paradise_park8.jpg

pet_paradise_park9.jpg

pet_paradise_park10.jpg

pet_paradise_park11.jpg

pet_paradise_park12.jpg

pet_paradise_park13.jpg

pet_paradise_park14.jpg

Hope all this info is helpful! :D

Cheers!

Edited by sbk
promotional urls removed--sbk

Pet Paradise Park (PPP) is where my dog went to obedience school. She stayed there for 3 months and we visited her every week (a member of the family and all that - I think you understand). The people at PPP were great. It is a wonderful place managed by equally wonderful people. On weekends we noticed a number of people walking their dogs there and I talked to some who said it was the only place for miles where they were comfortable taking their dogs. Since PPP has a pet shop on premises, they don't seem to mind that non-borders take their dogs there as they pick up sales from the pet shop. With the Rama 8 bridge, it is easy to get to from Bangkok CBD.

How was your dog after the three months? Well trained?

Yes, she was doing very well. Of course, we haven't done so well and didn't keep up with it, but in the odd moment when we remember a command she responds.

She sounds very good since you don't have to use too many commands ;-)

Hi Nienke,

I hope all is well with you. I have been busy ever since I received my clicker! Thanks to you. Britney caught on within a couple of days. Now whenever she sees it she just sits or lays down waiting for the sound of the C/T.

I would agree using it is much better than anything else like a tongue. You must be accurate with the clicks and the sound is the same every time. She now constantly knows how to sit, lay and back up to sit each time. I started working on this before the clicker but now the clicker really reinforces the training. They hardest part is always remembering to bring treats and the clicker! I am now working on the stay command. Since the beginning I have always made her sit and be calm before I said come to eat. I place the bowl down and she has to stay until I say come.

At 15 ½ weeks she is really gaining her strength and balance. She zips around the yard. I am happy with everything except she still is trying to pull ahead when we hit the street. Daily I take her for two walks one at 4:30am and 6:00pm. She does so great when we go away from the house but as soon as we make the turn to come back she is trying to pull and starts to do the boxer breathing hard routine. As soon as she does this I go in a different direction or just stop and then she sits and I continue. Little by little she is getting better. I tried treats but she is just too distracted with all the sounds, smells, sights going on around her. It’s nice because she is being socialized in a neighborhood so she is getting used to bikes, cars, motorcycling, people walking, other dogs and humans chatting on the street. She is doing well with all that.

If we are in the grass (fenced) she is pretty good off leash but I always let her drag it in case she heads for the flower beds. But she is getting better at that also. Recall command she is doing well. I practice allot inside the house with the clicker. Also, the most important I have never scolded her after I had her come to me. I have noticed this is key element in the recall command which I now think back my brother made mistakes with our labs and why he would run away off leash. Britney doesn’t do that. If we are playing fetch and she runs the opposite direction I walk away and then she follows and gets allot of reinforcement for doing the right thing.

Sorry this was so long when you only asked about a picture! Hehehe I have some new pictures at 13 weeks and I will take some more this weekend at 16 weeks. I will take her to the park again which she loved tromping through the leaves last week. I will post very soon.....

Great update, Asaf, thank you! You sure have a feeling for educating your dog. And as she is doing so well, you know you are on the right track.

Starting at young age (if possible, as some dogs are adopted at an older age) makes it all so much more easy, but of course keeping it mind that it is a process, and the dog learns step by step. And with positive reinforcement you build up a strong bond based on mutual trust and respect, resulting in a happy and obedient dog.

Nienke

• 2 weeks later...

HI,

I don't have a dog in Bangkok yet but I am working on it. Yesterday I went for a walk in Rama IX park near Sinakarin. I did not see anyone walking their dogs but a few strays were milling about and some street dogs were hanging around the guards sentry points. I wonder if people start walking their dogs with doggy bags if the trend would catch on?

By the way I am looking for a whippet. Any leads here? I plan to bring one back from Australia in April. I am a semi retired veterinarian from Queensland and miss having a pet here.

• 1 month later...
HI,

I don't have a dog in Bangkok yet but I am working on it. Yesterday I went for a walk in Rama IX park near Sinakarin. I did not see anyone walking their dogs but a few strays were milling about and some street dogs were hanging around the guards sentry points. I wonder if people start walking their dogs with doggy bags if the trend would catch on?

By the way I am looking for a whippet. Any leads here? I plan to bring one back from Australia in April. I am a semi retired veterinarian from Queensland and miss having a pet here.

I went to Rama IX park last weekend hoping to walk my dogs there but there there is a thai language sign saying that no pets are allowed in. I did not try to take them in after I saw the sign but perhaps no one would have said anything. Does anyone have experience trying to get their dog in this park?

• 4 months later...

Does anyone have any updated information on dog friendly parks in Bangkok? I went to the one next to emporium last weekend but they now have a Thai language sign saying no entry to pets. The Ministry of Health park in Nonthaburi is good but it's a long way from where I live.

• 1 year later...
11 months now.. yes she got all shots.. what's your dog breed and how old? :)

k

Great....

Nienke

Hi Nienke,

At 15 ½ weeks she is really gaining her strength and balance. She zips around the yard. I am happy with everything except she still is trying to pull ahead when we hit the street. Daily I take her for two walks one at 4:30am and 6:00pm. She does so great when we go away from the house but as soon as we make the turn to come back she is trying to pull and starts to do the boxer breathing hard routine. As soon as she does this I go in a different direction or just stop and then she sits and I continue. Little by little she is getting better. I tried treats but she is just too distracted with all the sounds, smells, sights going on around her. It's nice because she is being socialized in a neighborhood so she is getting used to bikes, cars, motorcycling, people walking, other dogs and humans chatting on the street. She is doing well with all that.

If we are in the grass (fenced) she is pretty good off leash but I always let her drag it in case she heads for the flower beds. But she is getting better at that also. Recall command she is doing well. I practice allot inside the house with the clicker. Also, the most important I have never scolded her after I had her come to me. I have noticed this is key element in the recall command which I now think back my brother made mistakes with our labs and why he would run away off leash. Britney doesn't do that. If we are playing fetch and she runs the opposite direction I walk away and then she follows and gets allot of reinforcement for doing the right thing.

Hello Asaf,

We just got a little puppy and are working on her training. I would like to get the clicker and some chewy toys that can be stuffed with treats. But the only chewy toys I saw were too big for our little girl. And I did not see any clickers anywhere (we are in bangkok). if you have any suggestions on where we can find those, that would be great!

Thank you!

Maria

hi maria, try pm 'ing (personal message) to nienke; she is a dog trainer in chiang mai and i think she does the clicker method or related... and we have a 'training' pinup in the pinned subjects try scrolling thru there also.

bina

israel