Internet Service Provider

Jazzyuk

Hey JazzyUK,

your ISP on the island is somewhat determined by who you've got your telephone line with - TT&T or TOT. The next thing to do is go to one of them (both have offices in Phuket Town) to find out if you're in an ADSL enabled area.

We're now on TOT, which I've found to be slightly less reliable than TT&T (our last place in Chalong had a TT&T line).

In the meantime, a dialup modem with a Loxinfo card seems to be the best way of dialing up on the island. It doesn't always work, depending on whether or not there are routing problems in Bangkok.

Give us a shout if you need any more advice :-) (may not answer straight away as I'm darting around London sorting out business before I come back).

Rich

Both TT&T and TOT now offer 1024/256 for 1000 baht for both ISP and line...

I have been with JI (128/64) and the service is fine as long as you dont expect any support or replies to email about billing etc.. I am moving over to the 1000 baht TOT package as soon as I sort otu complications getting signature of the owner of the telephone line.

Thank you to all for your help and advice, I'm sure it will be useful to many of use in Phuket...

After reading this (Rich's reply) and other forums, I get the impression that TT&T are the more reliable line supplier, do you all agree? and do you get a choice of ISP with these telephone companies, and if so, which is the best?

Once again, Many Thanks

Hi, I've been away from Phuket for some months but it appears that getting a ADSL is no problem; if you have a phone line. Well, I don't believe this is the case, unless you have a phone line and a business. Even so, you will never get any phone line for the regular price and the ADSL is probably even more jacked up. I will be back within a week and take another look but I think for most users the dial-up modem or he GRPS moden is the only realistic choice.

Cheers..........kandt :o

Kandt,

Dont know where you get the impression that you need a business but if you have a phone line (and are within the ADSL provided areas which are growing very fast) getting ADSL is no problem.. About 2 - 3 weeks from application to installation seems a normal wait time..

Of course one of the issues are areas where they are not giving out phone lines due to the exchanges being overloaded.. No line = no ADSL but I have heard that when someone applied to get a line and was told there was a huge waiting list.. He then applied for line and ADSL and they came and fitted his line straight away (couple of weeks wait not months and months)... It may be a backdoor into getting a phone line in areas where they are limited.

I agree with other comments that TT&T is slightly more reliable but if you have a trouble free install from either one they tend to keep working... I also dont doubt that having line and private ISP (like JI net / Loxinfo etc) you will have a more reliable service that is closer to its advertized speeds but with those services being >2x as expensive for 1/2 the speed of a 'packaged' TT&T and TOT service I dont mind if I am not getting the fully advertised speed, it is still faster than the speeds I would be getting from the same price using a line and ISP seperate deal.

• 2 weeks later...
Kandt,

Dont know where you get the impression that you need a business but if you have a phone line (and are within the ADSL provided areas which are growing very fast) getting ADSL is no problem.. About 2 - 3 weeks from application to installation seems a normal wait time..

Of course one of the issues are areas where they are not giving out phone lines due to the exchanges being overloaded.. No line = no ADSL.......

I believe in general we're in agreement. As you mentioned, having a phoneline, then there is no problem. However, many of us live in areas without phonelines and this is where the problem starts. In my area around Chalong, prices close to Baht 20,000 have been quoted both by TOT and TT&T to get the phoneline, outside the waiting list. In shala, we will all have a phoneline.

Cheers.........kandt