I've Discovered The Ultimate Hamburger In Chiang Mai

damian5000

The Great CM Burger Poll  

155 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh Jeez, another burger thread....

Woody's is fine for burgers, though I prefer their G&M Meats frankfurter on a bun, with grilled onions, for 55 B, for a late night nosh. And the Tequila or Sambuca shooters are a good deal, as well (as is the delightful company of Woody and Mrs. Woody)!

Have you tried the Chiang Mai Saloon (#1 original on Loi Kroh Rd.) or Guitarman (also Loi Kroh, but at east end near junction with the river)?

I think you might find that compared to these 2 places' burgers, Burger King (or McD) is but a pale imitation.

For the record, I'm not a big burger fan. I'd rather eat a tenderloin steak with a Caesar salad and a carafe of red wine, anyday....

Is it possible to still get thai food in chiang mai? I'm coming back up later this year and I thought I would check now. It would seem it's quickly disappearing there.

:o

Just keep away from the burger/pizza/fries trail. PM me if you want some ideas for good places for Thai food.

There was a thread recently where it was being discussed whether CM was losing its charm........

Perhaps that's why when they have a horse race there is more than one entry. :D

Yes, plus it allows there to be a winner of the race, which is always useful when you are trying to decide which horse is best.

.... or tells us which horse runs best on a muddy track or a dry one. Or which one was having a good or bad day. A horse that is best ALWAYS wins. But even the champs don't always win.

I always thought it really told us which jockey was best! :o

I wonder; is that the same for burgers? Some days one restaurant is best, another day a different restaurant is best, yet another day yet another restaurant makes the best burger. Nah.... can't be. A Whopper always tastes like a Whopper and a Mike's burger always tastes like a Mike's burger. Which do YOU prefer? THAT one is the best!

Edited by FolkGuitar

Mikes was pretty good - mushroom swiss burger was rather tastey..

On the stagger back from the UN-Wall-Wotsits over the Moats ....pubs to Jucie Lucys (via Spottis) this place is a lifeline...and I like the deep 'flied' onion Lings..... :o .....khun krup...nig noi ..tom sauce..mak mak..krup...Ym Loy

Perhaps that's why when they have a horse race there is more than one entry. :D

Yes, plus it allows there to be a winner of the race, which is always useful when you are trying to decide which horse is best.

.... or tells us which horse runs best on a muddy track or a dry one. Or which one was having a good or bad day. A horse that is best ALWAYS wins. But even the champs don't always win.

I always thought it really told us which jockey was best! :o

I wonder; is that the same for burgers? Some days one restaurant is best, another day a different restaurant is best, yet another day yet another restaurant makes the best burger. Nah.... can't be. A Whopper always tastes like a Whopper and a Mike's burger always tastes like a Mike's burger. Which do YOU prefer? THAT one is the best!

Burger as metaphor for the big stuff. :D Gotta love it. No wonder these burger threads are reborn again and again, and live such long and fruitful lives. Circling closer and closer around nirvana. :D

. . . . . Where is Duke's BTW?

Duke's has two locations. One recently opened somewhere in or around the Night Bazaar. I've never been there. The other, more established and, as far as I know, original location is just across the Ping River from the main part of town. Do you know the one-way bridge five hundred meters or so south of Narawat Bridge? If you cross it (it runs one way in a west to east direction) and turn left as soon as you get over to the other side, Duke's will be perhaps 50 meters down the road on your right.

Don't bother with the Night Bazaar location. It is designed for tourists and priced accordingly.

The original location is much better! :o

Is it possible to still get thai food in chiang mai? I'm coming back up later this year and I thought I would check now. It would seem it's quickly disappearing there.

:D

Just keep away from the burger/pizza/fries trail. PM me if you want some ideas for good places for Thai food.

There was a thread recently where it was being discussed whether CM was losing its charm........

Thanks for the offer. :o

I just hope that khao soi will still be available somewhere up there before the end of the year and the city is over-run with Weiner schnitzel, Fish and Chips, Dunkin' Donuts, or the thread-related Burgers.

Can someone tell me Thaivisa, and possibly half of Chiang Mai's expat crwod is obssessed by bleeding burgers? Is this the utopian dream, burger heaven?

I just dont get why so many presumably sensible and educated people go into raptures and discussions over a bleeding BURGER. Of all the foods available I would have thought that there would be more to Gastronomics ?? than a sodding Burger!!

I can say with much pride that in my travels and living back in UK I have never,nor intend to in the future entered a Mac Donalds or Burger King.

The only "Beefburger" of note I can remember was at the "Peacock Hotel" up in Derbyshire where I was working.The head waiter "larry" told me one lunchtime to have the Beefburger...because the young new chef had mistakenly minced all the Fillet steaks.!!

I can say with much pride that in my travels and living back in UK I have never,nor intend to in the future entered a Mac Donalds or Burger King.

Why do so many sad people have to keep reminding us that they are just too good for fast food?

The fact that you have to bring it up, leads me to believe that this is truly utmost amongst your major accomplishments in life. :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

Nahhhh. I went to Mikes on Neimen-ha-ha-man last night, and the bacon cheeseburger was as good as ever. Granted, the BurgerKing double cheeseburger is still excellent.

Do all of the Mike's Burgers have different owners and suppliers? I've found the Mikes on "Neimen-ha-ha-man" Rd to be pretty good. The Mikes in the Anusarn Market is decent. And the Mikes near Tapae Gate to be horrible. The Tapae Gate Mike's burgers where soft crumbly meat and the burger literally fell apart when I was eating it. I've visited each of these locations at least twice each and its the same every time. Fellow expats in my office have also made similar observations.

-Mestizo

Why do so many sad people have to keep reminding us that they are just too good for fast food?

The fact that you have to bring it up, leads me to believe that this is truly utmost amongst your major accomplishments in life. :o

No Sir,.....I have no objections to fast food. and why do you suggest that I consider myself too good for fast food. and whatever makes you think I am sad ?....far from it. As a renound bookseller I am surprised you misunderstood my little thesis. If you read carefully you should find that my main point was questioning the importance some people give to BURGERS.

You have taken my confession of never having entered or eaten in certain burger hellholes out of context with the main point..that being ..the extrordinary importance of BURGERS in certain peoples minds.when I am sure there are many more important matters and topicsthat could be discussed.

If these aboninations are so essential to keep body and soul together ,perhaps the 'powers that be" could create a separate topic....I would suggest it be titled ..."World Crap Food in Thailand"

And as for regarding my post as being one of my major accomplishments in my life...well I think you have demeaned yourself badly with that....but maybe you are indeed one of those sad souls to whom the burger is king.From your previous posts on this forum you certainly eat out very often at many of the local eateries,whilst I cook my own food..and do it extremly well. ...so I would agree to being branded as a food snob but not sad and certainly not short of some achievements in my life.

And now I read that in UK you can study(I guess for at least 5 minutes) and be awarded a diploma from MacDonalds in...guess what....BURGERS!!!

I think this must be the ultimate,....I am sure I am getting a Burger Obsesson....so will calm down and get a Kentucky Fried Chicken bucket!

Edited by gennisis

I can say with much pride that in my travels and living back in UK I have never,nor intend to in the future entered a Mac Donalds or Burger King

How can you make this proud quote and then go on to talk about "burger hellholes" and "World Crap Food" and then claim that I have misunderstood your intentions? It is perfectly clear where you are coming from. People who feel that not eating burgers somehow places them amongst the world's top intellectual elites need to do a little thinking.

As to my dining habits, I lived in San Francisco for many years and have frequented some of the world's best restaurants on a daily basis, however, I never became so pretentious as to not enjoy a Whopper at least every once in a while.

I don't eat them all the time, in fact, I'm not even that big a burger fan, but sometimes they really hit the spot and I feel sorry for those who feel compelled to pretend otherwise. :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

I can say with much pride that in my travels and living back in UK I have never,nor intend to in the future entered a Mac Donalds or Burger King

How can you make this proud quote and then go on to talk about "burger hellholes" and "World Crap Food" and then claim that I have misunderstood your intentions? It is perfectly clear where you are coming from. People who feel that not eating burgers somehow places them amongst the world's top intellectual elites need to do a little thinking.

As to my dining habits, I lived in San Francisco for many years and have frequented some of the world's best restaurants on a daily basis, however, I never became so pretentious as to not enjoy a Whopper at least every once in a while.

I don't eat them all the time, in fact, I'm not even that big a burger fan, but sometimes they really hit the spot and I feel sorry for those who feel compelled to pretend otherwise. :o

Perhaps the 'real' question is; how can one judge the merits of something having no experience with it? If Gennisis has NEVER eaten in a Burger King why does he feel qualified to say there is something so wrong with them that he will NEVER enter into one? :D

Imagine if the first person to eat a lobster, snail, or, God forbid, the unborn child of a hen, were to take that same attitude! A lobster is just a large underwater bug that couldn't have developed to that size on land because of gravity. It's a bug. (well, not scientifically...) Of course, here in Thailand, school children eat bugs by the bagful as after-school snacks. Gennisis, do YOU like to eat bugs?

The lowly hamburger achieved some social status when they added some extra spices and changed the name to 'Salisbury Steak.' Neolithic Man ate his meat raw and we called him a barbarian. Now we get to charge a small fortune for 'Steak Tatare' and 'Carpaccio.' But Gennisis will only eat a buger if it's made from 'flllet.' Doesn't 'fillet' only mean 'boneless?' How about fillet of swayback water buffalo cow? Wait.... that's called McDonalds, isn't it? :D

I don't think there are many who eat hamburgers every day. Perhaps not even every week. Personally, I have one roughly once a month. It makes a nice change from lasagna, enchiladas, weinnerschnitzel, Kow soi or Pah Krapao Gai, and falafel. But I do enjoy that once a month burger. Even if it's not made from fillet....

Sometimes I have Burger King when I want THAT flavor. Other times I go to Mike's. Other times I prepare them myself. I worry about that one though... I'm not sure what I put into it.... :D

Ok seems it may be poll time ( if i knew how to i would ) perhaps someone could set 1 up so this never ending burger debate can be put to rest once and for all.

Some suggestions for nominated eateries in no particular order

Burger King

McDonalds

Dukes

Mikes

Woodies

Queen Vic

Mad Dog

Half Moon

Chiang Mai Saloon

And i am sure there are more that can be added to the list that dont come to mind right now

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE SOMEONE LETS HAVE A POLL AND PUT TO SLEEP THIS SAGA

Edited by princealbert

Folk Guitar hit it right on the head.

Sometimes I am in the mood for a Whopper or a (new) double Big Mac, sometimes I want a homemade bacon, cheese burger and The Saloon's imported ground beef hits the spot, sometimes I want an Aussie burger with beetroot, pineapple rings and a greasy fried egg and Woody's is perfect.

It is hard to choose which is best. :o

Next time you want to try a tasty burger,at least to me,do this:

Fire up the barbeque

Mix about 2/3 ground beef with about 1/3 ground pork

Chop some onions (Walla Walla sweets) and some garlic, mix into the burger mix

Make the patty about an inch thick

check the coals

find some actual Tillamok cheddar cheese

toast the buns with a little butter on the grill

condiments of your choice

swallow dark,black,porter beer

and then wonder how much money you could make sellling these

Perhaps the 'real' question is; how can one judge the merits of something having no experience with it? If Gennisis has NEVER eaten in a Burger King why does he feel qualified to say there is something so wrong with them that he will NEVER enter into one? :D

Imagine if the first person to eat a lobster, snail, or, God forbid, the unborn child of a hen, were to take that same attitude! A lobster is just a large underwater bug that couldn't have developed to that size on land because of gravity. It's a bug. (well, not scientifically...) Of course, here in Thailand, school children eat bugs by the bagful as after-school snacks. Gennisis, do YOU like to eat bugs?

The lowly hamburger achieved some social status when they added some extra spices and changed the name to 'Salisbury Steak.' Neolithic Man ate his meat raw and we called him a barbarian. Now we get to charge a small fortune for 'Steak Tatare' and 'Carpaccio.' But Gennisis will only eat a buger if it's made from 'flllet.' Doesn't 'fillet' only mean 'boneless?' How about fillet of swayback water buffalo cow? Wait.... that's called McDonalds, isn't it? :D

I don't think there are many who eat hamburgers every day. Perhaps not even every week. Personally, I have one roughly once a month. It makes a nice change from lasagna, enchiladas, weinnerschnitzel, Kow soi or Pah Krapao Gai, and falafel. But I do enjoy that once a month burger. Even if it's not made from fillet....

Sometimes I have Burger King when I want THAT flavor. Other times I go to Mike's. Other times I prepare them myself. I worry about that one though... I'm not sure what I put into it.... :D

I think what the guy was saying was it seems a little sad that the main, most frequented and laboriously repeated topic on Thaivisa CM is burgers. I'm sure you love a good old burger, i bet you even look like a burger when undressed, but why you feel compelled to go on about it all the time is somewhat confusing, and amusing, and it also invokes people to write back and take the piss out of your burger fetishism . . . let's be honest, it is quite ridiculous how everyone goes on about a bleeding slab of meat in a bun.

I've seen many an intersting topic on TV and usually - i'm not sure why - the topics are deleted or stopped by the 'others' . . . i am guessing that we are all really interesting people but are circumscribed by censure and so are backed into a burger corner. If it weren't for the prudes and prigs we'd be having fantastic debates on all manner of CM's eccentricities and idiosyncrasies . . . although, thinking about it, maybe the burger obsession that most of you grown men suffer from is one of the most interesting, flummoxing, psychologically striking topics in CM. In fact, i have an idea for a story . . . boredom and the burger . . . burger addiction and retirement . . . the way of the bun . . . and so on. You're all mad. Good job on that. Keep up the good work. Enjoy your burgers . . . i can't stop, oh the liberation of anonymity, the power . . . i'm bringing 600 burgers to Tuskers on Friday night, we can get drunk together and i'll pack them into your stomach with tamper . . .

It is hard to choose which is best.

Sometimes UG life is hard :o

But lets have the poll and treat it as the last supper where the ONLY food available is our dearly beloved burger.

Where would it be ?????????????????????????

I am sure in life we have all made more important life changing decisions.

Well Bardamu, that tirade should stop the debate nicely! :o

A poll sounds like a very good idea princealbert, these burger and pizza threads are becoming quite repetitive. How about pinning the poll at the top of the page so that it can be kept current with new outlets and present standards - although I guess that might not work because there is only one vote per member and if a burger at xyz outlet is great in February but by July abc outlet have upped their game and become favourite it would not be possible to cast another vote . . . ah well.

Perhaps a Burger Forum dedicated to the wonders of patties and buns?

Even better, banish all such threads to the Western Food Forum.

dam_n - how did I get drawn into this? Time to get back to work!

JxP

Edited by JuniorExPat

I think what the guy was saying was it seems a little sad that the main, most frequented and laboriously repeated topic on Thaivisa CM is burgers.

Some of the main topics on Thai Visa in general seem to be about food that we miss from home and favorites that we can get here.

Maybe you are just to deep for the rest of us. :o

Had a double big mac for the first time yesterday (due to an almost crippling hangover) and would have to say it went down really well. It's the first time I've ever got a burger from a Thai McDonalds that was still hot and fresh when it arrived at the table.. :o

Can someone tell me Thaivisa, and possibly half of Chiang Mai's expat crwod is obssessed by bleeding burgers? Is this the utopian dream, burger heaven?

You ask a Frenchman or a Schweizer about his cheese, an Englishman about his ale, a Dutchman, Swede or Dane about his herring, a Bangladeshi about his dhal, a Thai about his somtam.

You ask a Chiang Mai expat about his burger. :o

Chiang Mai is chock full of Thai food, and you will not be wanting. :o

Thank you for the reassurances. In anticipating a trip up North later this year, I was amazed in looking at the threads on the local forum to get a regional update, that it seemed it was pretty much about this burger joint and that fish n' chips place, when I found that what I wanted from previous trips there was khao soi.

Anyway, enough of Thai nonsense... I'll let you guys get back to your mustard and tartar sauce comparisons... Sorry for the intrusion.

Edited by sriracha john