Slain Mammals Intercepted In Nakorn Panom

Galong

From Phuket Birder blog

"The front page of Kao Sot newspaper for yesterday showed a photo of a ranger examining the carcasses of 11 tigers loaded in the back of a pickup truck. According to the story, over 300 mammals, including leopards, panthers, marbled cats and porcupines were a part of a shipment which was intercepted in Nakorn Panom enroute to China via the Laotian border. No doubt these creatures were all destined to end up on some exotic menu in some ritzy restaurant in southern China."

Any of you hear about this? Is it in any of the English papers? I haven't seen it anywhere other than on this blog.

Such a waste.

Porcupine has an excellent taste when roasted of a flame.

You're a waste of space.

For the OP: it's unbelievable how/where these animals were hunted. More info anyone? Let's hope they catch the people at the source.

Sickening that the Chinese still do this.I feel physically sick when I think of the animals that are killed for the pleasure and ridiculous 'health' benefits the Chinese seem to think the meat,bones etc offer.

Very sad.

--------------------------

I have studied Chinese Herbal Pharmacology for about twenty years now. Just like modern day antihypertensive medicines are made snake venom.

Botox from frog secretions, hormone replacement drugs etc., etc.

Many medicines are made from animal substances.

The use medicines derived from the bones, glands etc of animals especially endangered ones is a real tragedy.

Of course my opinion is a bit academically and personally biased.

I feel the killing of any sentient being for food or medicine is unnecessary and tragic... :o

These mammals could easily have originated from zoo,s in Europe, there are still legal Trading zoo,s where you can purchase any animal your heart desires endangered or not, alive or dead if you have enough Money.At the end of every year all zoo,s advertise their surplus stock for sale, and some times not a lot of questions are asked of the customers that buy them. I have been retired for 5 years and still get offered surplus animals now and then, :o Nignoy

These mammals could easily have originated from zoo,s in Europe, there are still legal Trading zoo,s where you can purchase any animal your heart desires endangered or not, alive or dead if you have enough Money.At the end of every year all zoo,s advertise their surplus stock for sale, and some times not a lot of questions are asked of the customers that buy them. I have been retired for 5 years and still get offered surplus animals now and then, :D Nignoy

Wow, that's disturbing! :o I had no idea that zoos did this sort of thing, still, these animals likely came from the wild (maybe the Sri Racha Tiger farm?) and that's a huge problem.

Still no story in the BKK Post or The Nation. I guess this isn't as important news as the Monitor lizards caught in inside the Government House's compound :D

Don't just blame the Chinese, blame the unscrupulous bastards who catch, kill and transport these animals...or in the case of some institutions breed the animals for such purposes, thus perpetuating the practice.

It's about time the Tiger Zoos in Thailand came clean about where the products of their breeding programs went....

conservation is not a case of breed 2 ..eat one......

Edited by wilko

These mammals could easily have originated from zoo,s in Europe, there are still legal Trading zoo,s where you can purchase any animal your heart desires endangered or not, alive or dead if you have enough Money.At the end of every year all zoo,s advertise their surplus stock for sale, and some times not a lot of questions are asked of the customers that buy them. I have been retired for 5 years and still get offered surplus animals now and then, :D Nignoy

Wow, that's disturbing! :o I had no idea that zoos did this sort of thing, still, these animals likely came from the wild (maybe the Sri Racha Tiger farm?) and that's a huge problem.

Still no story in the BKK Post or The Nation. I guess this isn't as important news as the Monitor lizards caught in inside the Government House's compound :D

No, but it was all over the Thai news channels. This isn't a predominantly English speaking country after all, and the citizens of this country are at least, then, being made aware that this is a problem which is attempting to be dealt with.

And as strongly as I too feel regarding this issue, ranting and denigrating the entire Chinese race is neither helpful nor practical. EDUCATION, is the key. What happened to that NGO 'Grassroots' whose aim was to educate the children against these practices. The future lies with them after all.

Yeah, if only they could breed and slaughter (the automatic hydrolic hammers to the skull are especially impressive and no doubt humane if you tell yourself that enough times) them as efficiently as cows, pigs, or poultry. Then it'd be all hunky dory.

:o

No, but it was all over the Thai news channels. This isn't a predominantly English speaking country after all, and the citizens of this country are at least, then, being made aware that this is a problem which is attempting to be dealt with.

And as strongly as I too feel regarding this issue, ranting and denigrating the entire Chinese race is neither helpful nor practical. EDUCATION, is the key.

Great, it's nice to know that it is on Thai TV. Thanks for letting me/us know.

The "Education" is there already. Can we really wait for the next generation to grow up and save the tigers? I'm pretty sure they'll all be gone before then.

Haven't you seen the commercials with Jackie Chan, Yao Ming, etc saying that 'when the buying stops, the killings can too"? These commercials play in Thailand... the suppliers of this demand. I don't know if China allows these commercials to be seen, but I would think that the word is out in China that killing tigers is not acceptable to the rest of the world. I imagine that most folks in China don't care or can't voice their opinion on the matter. I could slam my home country if it would make you feel better... my home country is full of problems. :o

I think that the only thing that can be done at this point is to have extremely stiff penalties if caught doing such things. I'm pretty sure this sort of thing is a slap on the wrist at present. Does anyone know the penalty for killing a tiger in Thailand?

Yeah, if only they could breed and slaughter (the automatic hydrolic hammers to the skull are especially impressive and no doubt humane if you tell yourself that enough times) them as efficiently as cows, pigs, or poultry. Then it'd be all hunky dory. :o

Hmm, let's see... cutting a cow's throat vs a 'hydraulic' hammer that is meant to kill immediately... let me think which is more humane.

FYI, this method is the result of complaints by animal welfare organizations about previous methods.

From the US Humane Slaughter Act:

7 U.S.C.A. § 1902. Humane methods

No method of slaughtering or handling in connection with slaughtering shall be deemed to comply with the public policy of the United States unless it is humane. Either of the following two methods of slaughtering and handling are hereby found to be humane:

(a) in the case of cattle, calves, horses, mules, sheep, swine, and other livestock, all animals are rendered insensible to pain by a single blow or gunshot or an electrical, chemical or other means that is rapid and effective, before being shackled, hoisted, thrown, cast, or cut; or

(:D by slaughtering in accordance with the ritual requirements of the Jewish faith or any other religious faith that prescribes a method of slaughter whereby the animal suffers loss of consciousness by anemia of the brain caused by the simultaneous and instantaneous severance of the carotid arteries with a sharp instrument and handling in connection with such slaughtering.

BTW, I don't eat red meat nor much chicken, so I don't support any of this.

Yeah, if only they could breed and slaughter (the automatic hydrolic hammers to the skull are especially impressive and no doubt humane if you tell yourself that enough times) them as efficiently as cows, pigs, or poultry. Then it'd be all hunky dory.

the reasons that humans kill and eat certain species has deeper reasons than how we kill them. Animals are a popular source of protein, and we have chosen and bred certain species that are good machines for converting vegetation, garbage or whatever into protein, easy to handle and relatively safe to eat. If tigers came under any of these categories we would have domesticated them years thousands of years ago. The only cats we domesticated are the small things we use for company and killing mice.

Edited by wilko

Don't just blame the Chinese, blame the unscrupulous bastards who catch, kill and transport these animals...or in the case of some institutions breed the animals for such purposes, thus perpetuating the practice.

It's about time the Tiger Zoos in Thailand came clean about where the products of their breeding programs went....

conservation is not a case of breed 2 ..eat one......

Thanks for that, but personally I will continue to blame the Chinese. Almost into the 21st century but ......

Naka.

:D

the reasons that humans kill and eat certain species has deeper reasons than how we kill them. Animals are a popular source of protein, and we have chosen and bred certain species that are good machines for converting vegetation, garbage or whatever into protein, easy to handle and relatively safe to eat. If tigers came under any of these categories we would have domesticated them years thousands of years ago. The only cats we domesticated are the small things we use for company and killing mice.

Just a foot note, Domestic Cat skin waistcoats and kidney protectors and rendered dog fat are offered openly as aids to cure rheumatism in homeopathic shops in Germany :o Nignoy

Animals have plenty of other uses other than being sources of protein. And I wasn't talking about domesticating tigers (or any other in demand natural resource)... but rather promoting their proliferation.

:D

Yeah, it's often one of those things, you can't club a baby seal because it's cute.

Endangered species should be protected. There should be assisted repopulation programs so that humans can rightfully slaughter them without fear of depleting the species.

I have studied Chinese Herbal Pharmacology for about twenty years now. Just like modern day antihypertensive medicines are made snake venom.

The use medicines derived from the bones, glands etc of animals especially endangered ones is a real tragedy

Is there any PROOF that these traditional medicines have any health benifits whatsoever (other than placebo)?

The use medicines derived from the bones, glands etc of animals especially endangered ones is a real tragedy

Is there any PROOF that these traditional medicines have any health benifits whatsoever (other than placebo)?

------------------------

There is are increasing volumes of double blinded randomized placebo controlled studies being done herbal medicines. Most of the good research comes out of Europe especially Germany and Switzerland.

Remember at least 40% of drugs still come from "natural" plant or animal sources.

Eventually attemps are made to synthesize these complex compounds. That's when iatragenesis becomes a problems.

That is side effects that cause more problems than the original condition treated... :o

Check out Chinese Medical Herbology and Pharmacology by John K Chen and Tina T Chen.

John is on staff here at UC Irvine in California he is a Pharm D.

Also www.elotus.org... :D

Funny, its not ok to eat a porcupine, but a cow, horse, rabbit, fish, lamb, seal, kangaroo, reindeer, chicken, duck and hundreds of other species is fine.

If a tiger makes the best soup to help my ailments, then so be it.

Retards..........................Both of you. :o

Funny, its not ok to eat a porcupine, but a cow, horse, rabbit, fish, lamb, seal, kangaroo, reindeer, chicken, duck and hundreds of other species is fine.

If a tiger makes the best soup to help my ailments, then so be it.

Retards..........................Both of you. :o

------------------

I'm not sure who you were calling a retard. For myself after 34 years of being vegetarian I am convinced you can be healthy and quite strong without killing and eating innocent animals... :D

I think that one of the most important points is that they are killing endangered species, not that eating them has medicinal value. Are we (and the Chinese in particular) so greedy that we want to eat every last tiger on the planet? Taking top predators out of the food chain causes problems. How many times have humans interfered with Nature and things turned out better? Almost never.

Compare interfering with the natural balance of things with a rubic’s cube. You get one side looking good and think you’re on your way (or you’ve done a good job), but the others are all messed up.