New Cabinet Appointed

george

Well we can certainly see the priorities of the government here. Get Thaksin’s red passport back, dabble in the media, spread lies about historic events. So the question remains; when will they get around to doing things for the people to stimulate the economy?

• Replies 722
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh those nasty teeth...

RADIO-SHOW REMOVAL

Breach of charter suspected

Prasong threatens investigation into cancellation of Chirmsak programme

Prasong Soonsiri, a leading member of the National Legislative Assembly (NLA), which is now acting as the Senate, yesterday threatened to launch an investigation into a possible breach of the charter involving the cancellation of a popular radio show critical of the prime minister.

"The removal of Chirmsak Pinthong's programme from FM 105 [which questioned Samak Sundaravej's role in the October 6, 1976 massacre] was very suspicious," Prasong said.

"There was no reason to believe that Chirmsak did it voluntarily or that the airtime contractor [Fatima Co] did it without any political interference," he said.

The conduct of a PM's Office minister and the owner of Fatima could have violated Article 46 of the 2007 Constitution, which bars political office holders and enterprises from directly or indirectly obstructing mass-media freedom, he said.

Authorities should check the records of all phone calls from 10am to noon of last Tuesday, during which Chirmsak said the PM's Office minister or his aide had phoned Fatima regarding the content of his programme.

As for the NLA, it also has the right to investigate the matter as the removal could have violated the charter as far as mass-media freedom is concerned, he said.

Saengchai Apichartthana-pat, a senior executive of Fatima, declined to confirm or deny the report that he was asked by the government to kill Chirmsak's talk show.

Banyat Tassaniyavej, another NLA member and former president of the Thai Reporters' Association, said the press felt they were under coming under threat.

For instance, the government spokesman publicly announced there would be a new order on mass media shortly after taking office.

"Several branches of the mass media are not happy, as it isn't normal. This government is also planning to amend the constitution and press freedom is hardly mentioned," she said.

The government has also announced a plan to revamp state-owned Channel 11 to compete with Thai Public Broadcasting Service (TBPS), the new public TV station.

But that would be an uphill task because Channel 11's working style has long been very bureaucratic, she said.

Trirapat Serirangsan, the former PM's Office minister who helped turn TITV into TPBS, however welcomed the Samak government's move to modernise Channel 11.

"It would be great if society has one more TV channel that really caters to the interests of the masses. Competition will lead to more benefits for the audience," he said.

"However, people who work for public television need to understand that they're supposed to produce programmes that are really for public interest [and not for commercial or other interest groups]. They also need to be politically impartial," he said.

The Nation

The adversary of all this force-joining media...

160208_news14.jpg

Prime Minister's Office Minister Jakrapob Penkair, shown here as a leader of last year's anti-coup protests at Sanam Luang, has said he would examine all government-run media to see if they are neutral.

Bangkok Post

PM's Office Minister Jakrapob Penkair - assigned by PM Samak to supervise the Public Relations Department (PRD) and MCOT, which runs TV channels 11 and 9 - remarked that he would examine all government-run media to see if they are neutral, and within one month would be able to say how he would deal with the PRD, MCOT, and the newly created Thai PBS.

Jakrapob said that he would also give direction to the satellite TV and community radio operators, and would push for the emergence of a National Broadcasting Commission, which despite being mandated by the 1997 constitution was never a priority under the Thaksin I and II administrations. Jakrapob was one of 8 core leaders of the United Front of Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD), and led a protest march that turned rowdy and Jakrapob was arrested and jailed for several days, before being granted bail. He was also an executive of PTV, a satellite TV channel which was blocked.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.net/News/16Feb2008_news90.php

What is highlighted in red is the work of an entire board made of at least a dozen neutral members working with their own teams, committees, polls, not the work of a single man on a career-boosting mission at any cost who dreams of a China/Burma-like grip on the media so they can do and steal whatever they please without anyone reporting about it.

They haven't learned a thing since their last dissolution because they simply don't care what others think or what the law says down below.

Prasong Soonsiri, a leading member of the National Legislative Assembly (NLA), which is now acting as the Senate, yesterday threatened to launch an investigation into a possible breach of the charter involving the cancellation of a popular radio show critical of the prime minister.

"The removal of Chirmsak Pinthong's programme from FM 105 [which questioned Samak Sundaravej's role in the October 6, 1976 massacre] was very suspicious," Prasong said.

The Nation

Curiouser and curiouser as Alice in Wonderland once remarked.Prasong Soonsiri is a notorious right wing feudal lackey and Prem brown noser,Thaksin hater and key participant in the illegal coup.Clearly this old booby is wetting himself at the prospect of his arch enemy's emergence phoenix like from the oblivion that had been arranged for him.And yet in this instance, though prompted by the thought of not - metaphorically speaking - getting his scrawny old neck stretched, he makes a fair point.

The removal of Chirmsak's programme does seem to be a worrying abuse of press freedom which should be protested by all regardless of political persuasion.As an aside some might remember a few juntophiles on this forum tried to defend the indefensible when the military closed down community radio programmes but then highly selective indignation rather than intellectual honesty has always been their stock in trade.

What genuinely puzzles me is whether the Bangkok elite, in condemning Samak's recent dishonesty and deplorable "egging on" at the time, really want an in depth national discussion about the events of October 1976.They know as well as any one that this is political dynamite and the light shed on the episode would leave Samak's dishonourable but relatively minor role in the shade.So what game are they playing I wonder?

The Nation

Curiouser and curiouser as Alice in Wonderland once remarked.Prasong Soonsiri is a notorious right wing feudal lackey and Prem brown noser,Thaksin hater and key participant in the illegal coup.Clearly this old booby is wetting himself at the prospect of his arch enemy's emergence phoenix like from the oblivion that had been arranged for him.And yet in this instance, though prompted by the thought of not - metaphorically speaking - getting his scrawny old neck stretched, he makes a fair point.

The removal of Chirmsak's programme does seem to be a worrying abuse of press freedom which should be protested by all regardless of political persuasion.As an aside some might remember a few juntophiles on this forum tried to defend the indefensible when the military closed down community radio programmes but then highly selective indignation rather than intellectual honesty has always been their stock in trade.

What genuinely puzzles me is whether the Bangkok elite, in condemning Samak's recent dishonesty and deplorable "egging on" at the time, really want an in depth national discussion about the events of October 1976.They know as well as any one that this is political dynamite and the light shed on the episode would leave Samak's dishonourable but relatively minor role in the shade.So what game are they playing I wonder?

When do these guys meet, every 2nd Tuesday of the month? Do they have regular membership dues? I want to join... Since according to YH and others, they are responsible for everything from the number of clouds in the sky, to making the grass grow...

Prasong Soonsiri is a notorious right wing feudal lackey...

Could you show some examples, please?

It looks like you just brought a box of your favourite stickers and put them anywhere you can reach.

Community radio stations have their own history, btw. Thaksin coerced them long ago through legal threats and advertising.

When do these guys meet, every 2nd Tuesday of the month? Do they have regular membership dues? I want to join... Since ......they are responsible for everything from the number of clouds in the sky, to making the grass grow...

Steveromangino and I meet at Starbucks every second monday. We pay the OTT sum of 100 baht per cup. Puts us in Hi-so league, surrounded by other 'elites'. We have a secret handshake and all.

Now if only I'd had my decoder ring on, I could have answered the question, posed to me in Starbucks, by a man in a long cloak, how does the aardvark fly south for the winter, and be entered into the mysteries.

So mote it be.

Regards

:o

Edited by A_Traveller

Now if only I'd had my decoder ring on, I could have answered the question, posed to me in Starbucks, by a man in a long cloak, how does the aardvark fly south for the winter, and be entered into the mysteries.

So mote it be.

Regards

No answer necessary. You just have to start partaking in inarticulate ramblings between group members, impersonating our current moo-faced PM. Insult and chastise random journo's as they walk in for their morning cup of joe. Then deny everything, deny, deny deny.

Chirmsak pins blame squarely on Jakrapob

Former senator Chirmsak Pinthong yesterday released an article to the media blaming PM's Office Minister Jakrapob Penkair for the removal of his radio programme - and revealed the executive of the station had asked him to cover up the issue.

In the article, Chirmsak wrote that Saengchai Apicharttha-napat, a senior executive of production house Fatima, had told him about receiving a call from Jakrapob.

The article alleges that Jakrapob told Saengchai the airwave concession contract would not be renewed as radio programmes must be changed according to the situation. Chirmsak says that Saengchai asked him what he could do to help the company from suffering any damage.

"I asked him [saengchai] during the conversation who was it [who called Saengchai]? He said clearly it was minister Jakrapob Penkair. He also said they knew each other and still contacted each other," Chirmsak wrote.

The conversation took place on February 12, he wrote. He adds that two days later, Saengchai asked him to tell the media that there had been no call to put pressure and the decision was just out of the Fatima company's concern about the contract, to provide a "soft landing" for the company.

Thakerng Somsab, who formerly co-hosted the radio programme and was the middleman between Chirmsak and Saengchai, yesterday declined to comment on Chirmsak's article. According to reports Saengchai contacted Thakerng first, who spoke to Chirmsak before Saengchai himself directly took up the issue with Chirmsak.

Saengchai was not available for comment yesterday.

Last week, the Fatima company executive joined a press conference with Public Relations Department director-general Pramoj Rathavinij denying involvement.

Last week Jakrapob also denied any involvement in the removal of the radio programme.

Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej, in the beginning of his weekly programme yesterday, thanked Pramoj and Saengchai for clarifying the accusation against the government of interfering in the media.

The premier said there was an attempt to frame the government.

Chirmsak last Tuesday gave up hosting his daily radio talk show after criticising Samak for allegedly covering up the Thammasat University massacre of October 6, 1976.

The programme, "Chirmsak's Views", was broadcast from 8-9pm on FM105, which is under the PRD.

The programme was removed after Chirmsak read an excerpt from a book written by Veera Musigapong, a former Thai Rak Thai Party executive, which said Samak had distorted the truth surrounding the killings of student protesters at Thammasat University.

He also read a transcript from Samak's speech to students in France in 1977 while he was interior minister, insisting that 48 people had died in the October 6, 1976 demonstration.

Chirmsak started hosting the programme after the September 2006 coup.

The Nation

Prasong Soonsiri is a notorious right wing feudal lackey...

Could you show some examples, please?

It looks like you just brought a box of your favourite stickers and put them anywhere you can reach.

Community radio stations have their own history, btw. Thaksin coerced them long ago through legal threats and advertising.

Prasong's unsavoury role in Thai politics is well documented, but it's not my main point.

The real issue on the current criticism of Samak in respect of the events of 1976 is that it ignores those in the power structure who have equally blood stained hands.So far no discussion of this on this forum.It reminds me of the lies and dishonesty of Stalin's Russia.

Prasong's unsavoury role in Thai politics is well documented,

Then it should be easy to support "right wing feudal lackey" label you stuck on him. I know it wasn't your main point but it shouldn't be used as an excuse to throw words around.

Those with blood stained hands don't give interviews to international media and embarass the country. Samak does, so he is in the spotlight.

But don't discount a late surge by Chalerm...

New round of social order in provinces

Several provinces step up their social order enforcement, following the new Interior Minister's policies

The Governor of Trat province, Kanpetch Chuangrangsri, inspected an entertainment venue on Koh Chang island, following the policies of social order by Interior Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung.

In Nonthaburi, Governor Cherdwit Ritthiprasars and state security officers inspected apartments and internet cafes around Dhurakij Pundit University.

The governor also asked the apartment's owners to help keep a watchful eye on the behaviors of students living in their places.

Meanwhile, the Deputy Leader of Nakorn Ratchasrima province, Thongchai Lueadul, instructed its defense volunteers to adhere to the law in performing their duties of monitoring security at entertainment venues.

In Betong district of Yala province, security officials inspected disturbance prone areas and entertainment venues, in accordance with the policies of the Interior Ministry.

- Thailand Outlook

Edited by sriracha john

So mote it be.

Regards

No answer necessary. You just have to start partaking in inarticulate ramblings between group members, impersonating our current moo-faced PM. Insult and chastise random journo's as they walk in for their morning cup of joe. Then deny everything, deny, deny deny.

Indeed it is all not true.

We did not just have a latte mocha with a twist non fat.

There is no spoon.

Then it should be easy to support "right wing feudal lackey" label you stuck on him. I know it wasn't your main point but it shouldn't be used as an excuse to throw words around.

Those with blood stained hands don't give interviews to international media and embarass the country. Samak does, so he is in the spotlight.

I agree, links please and not double talk. If it is well documented no problem in finding it. I want to be up to speed here with as many players as I can.

Now, even Thaksin's website is cheering and rallying behind Chalerm's pursuit of the #1 spot as Worst of the Worst...

Let the in-fighting escalate into a Pier 6 brawl...

Chalerm laughs off criticism on pro-Thaksin site

Interior Minister Chalerm Yubamroong has laughed off reports that he had been critcised on the www.hi-thaksin.net website, saying he has not seen the contents of the site, but is glad that people who are supposedly from the same side are criticising each other. "If it's true, I wouldn't be mad at all," he said, assuring that there is no internal bickering between members of the People Power Party. According to sources, an article in the site criticised Chalerm for manipulating the People Power party's victory to his own advantage. It also brandished Chalerm as, "the least suitable candidate to make up part of the new cabinet."

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=125998

Edited by sriracha john

Several provinces step up their social order enforcement, following the new Interior Minister's policies

The Governor of Trat province, Kanpetch Chuangrangsri, inspected an entertainment venue on Koh Chang island, following the policies of social order by Interior Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung.

In Nonthaburi, Governor Cherdwit Ritthiprasars and state security officers inspected apartments and internet cafes around Dhurakij Pundit University.

The governor also asked the apartment's owners to help keep a watchful eye on the behaviors of students living in their places.

Meanwhile, the Deputy Leader of Nakorn Ratchasrima province, Thongchai Lueadul, instructed its defense volunteers to adhere to the law in performing their duties of monitoring security at entertainment venues.

In Betong district of Yala province, security officials inspected disturbance prone areas and entertainment venues, in accordance with the policies of the Interior Ministry.

- Thailand Outlook

More of same, same...

Provincial Officers Inspect Night Entertainment Venues

Officers in many provinces have cracked down on entertainment venues suspected of violating the law.

Phitsanulok Governor Somboon Sripattanawat ordered officers to inspect entertainment venues in the province after complaints suggested that venues were allowing individuals under the age of 20. Other complaints suggested that the venues were staying open beyond time limits.

'Fashion Hiphop,' an entertainment venue situated on the underground floor of the Amarin Nakorn Hotel, stayed open beyond midnight and was caught with 29 patrons who did not have ID cards. Arresting officers ordered a temporarily shutdown.

Meanwhile, Maha Sarakam Governor Rangsan Pienrodwong, together with 100 police officers of the Maha Sarakam Police Station and volunteers, inspected entertainment venues to prevent crime and drug use.

In Samut Sakhorn province, Governor Weerayuth Iamampa and his officers inspected computer game shops, karaoke bars, snooker clubs and entertainment venues in three different areas. Patrons not carrying ID cards and those under 20 years of age were arrested. Officers in Samut Sakhorn are prepared to inspect three different areas every weekend.

- Thailand Outlook

========================================================

No doubt the heavily touristed provinces will be up next...

You're right.It's a slightly stereotypical way of describing him and for that I apologise, and my earlier comments were probably slightly over the top as well.Nevertheless the characterisation has some validity.Don't forget this was the guy whose phobia about Thaksin was such that he turned on Surayud (Khao Yai land palaver) because the latter had not pursued the former PM vigorously enough.

By the way I don't normally "do" links whether they support my argument or not.It's easy enough to find one's way around the main Thai related sites or use search engines.It's also in reaction to a certain kind of dimbulb (definitely not you I hasten to add!) who never does any research, never reads, is incapable of give and take argument, never thinks etc and believes a failure to respond to "links please" somehow proves a point in a society that at its upper levels is extraordinarily secretive and oblique and where many issues cannot be understood or resolved by a convenient "link".

I will provide links by PM of course, when I have them, to serious enquiries from grown ups.

Prasong and Thaksin go way way back. He was once sued for billions after Thaksin's acquital by Constitution court when Prasong wrote a damning article in Naew Na newspaper about the judges and everything.

The man just doesn't take bullshit and is very uncompromising. He is nobody's lakey.

I have no idea what his ideological position is, he's loyal to the King and that might make him "right wing", but by that criteria alone who in Thailand isn't?

Meanwhile, back at the OK Corral...

Chalerm denies rift over son's appointment

Interior Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung has denied he is at odds with some influential figures in the People Power Party (PPP) after a pro-government website criticised him for attempting to place his controversial son in the government.

He said it was good that the website's columnist criticised his family, as this criticism was preferable to that from the government's opponents. * Sounds like a boot camp recruit, "Thank you for the family bashing, sir. May I have another?" *

The party was unified, he said, adding that no one wanted to "stab him in the back".

* Looks more like a stab in the front *

The Hi-Thaksin website, allegedly run by a close aide of the deposed premier Thaksin Shinawatra, has criticised Chalerm in recent days for his attempt to put his son Wan into an official position as a ministerial Secretary or Advisor at the Public Health Ministry. Wan has a history of causing pub brawls.

The criticism followed a press briefing last week by Public Health Minister Chaiya Sasomsap that Wan would be a representative for the Public Health Ministry's campaign against drinking and smoking. The website article claimed that Chalerm, in order to benefit his family. was exploiting the faith of Thaksin's supporters who voted for the PPP.

An e-mail message purportedly showing that Chalerm and his three sons met with Thaksin in Manchester several months before the December election has been circulated via Thai Internet users.

- The Nation

Edited by sriracha john

Like a good bar-room brawler, he doesn't give up... he may take a beer bottle to the side of his head, but he just keeps on slugging away...

Wan Yubamrung again nominated for post

People Power Party will nominate names of the party members who lost in the election to be candidates for Adviser and Secretary positions at ministries. Deputy PM and Education Minister Somchai Wongsawat said the party has proposed the names for the ministerial posts to PM Samak already, and it is up to him to change the names if he wishes. To play it safe, he added, the party will not propose the names of current MPs for the positions, even though the Council of State ruled that MPs can take the posts. Meanwhile, Public Health Minister Chaiya Sasomsap said he is ready to give Wan Yubamrung, son of Interior Minister Chalerm, a chance to be his Secretary. He said Wan is like a son to him. He also said Wan, the notorious son of Chalerm, is humble and well-mannered.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=126018

Like a good bar-room brawler, he doesn't give up... he may take a beer bottle to the side of his head, but he just keeps on slugging away...

People Power Party will nominate names of the party members who lost in the election to be candidates for Adviser and Secretary positions at ministries. Deputy PM and Education Minister Somchai Wongsawat said the party has proposed the names for the ministerial posts to PM Samak already, and it is up to him to change the names if he wishes. To play it safe, he added, the party will not propose the names of current MPs for the positions, even though the Council of State ruled that MPs can take the posts. Meanwhile, Public Health Minister Chaiya Sasomsap said he is ready to give Wan Yubamrung, son of Interior Minister Chalerm, a chance to be his Secretary. He said Wan is like a son to him. He also said Wan, the notorious son of Chalerm, is humble and well-mannered.

Continued here:

I am really finding this all unbelievable. Someone should let Samak know that Fidel Castro is also now available to join his government.

Continued here:

I am really finding this all unbelievable. Someone should let Samak know that Fidel Castro is also now available to join his government.

Samak and his bunch bunch are nothing but the worst circus clowns ever compared to Fidel.

Fidel's name means trustworthy, a quality nowhere to be found here.

Making the current rounds on the Thai mass e-mailing circuit are these, simply called:

Meeting in London...

P6317890-0.jpg

Interior Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung, his son Duang, his son Wan (prospective Secretary to Public Health Minister), and Thaksin

P6317890-2.jpg

Thaksin, Pojaman, Interior Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung, and Chalerm's son Duang (far right)

P6317890-3.jpg

Chalerm's son Duang, Thaksin's son Panthongthae, and Chalerm's son Wan (prospective Secretary to Public Health Minister)

==========================================================================

Can any of our Londonite members ID any of these locations?? :o

Edited by sriracha john

I think it sends the wrong message to have Wan in gov't employ in any capacity but just out of curiosity does anyone actually have any information as to whether he has reformed?...people can change and sometimes they acually do change....this might be the case with him and I'm just wondering if anyone here really knows....seems like everyone thinks he hasn't reformed but do they know?

Again I want to stress that reformed or not I think he should not be in gov't employ in any capacity.

Chownah