Keurn Kam

Thaipwriter

I think it's Keurn Kan, and it means something like no one wants to marry her.. unmarriable, thats the best explanation I can get.

Totster :o

Yes it was Kan and your response fits the context, she's definately selling herself short with that description though.

thanks

Being of a similar age, this phrase is used often within my circle of friends, to joke with each other about our single states :D

"Kheun khan" refers to a woman who has passes her maiden days but has not married yet, i.e. an "old maid". It has a slightly negative meaning because in the olden days women were expected to marry so there would be someone to take care of them and protect them. (So I suppose not getting married might be considered a failure.)

The phrase "kheun khan" comes from the state of a boat under repair is called.

A boat that needs to be repaired will have to be brought up onto shore and lifted up onto a "khan", which is a lever or prop of sorts, so that repairs and maintenance can be done. Therefore, during that period the boat is rendered useless, being stuck up there on the "khan" (similar to a lady who is already past the marriage-able age, I suppose). The word is used only for women.

source: The Royal Institute + my own wording :o

Being of a similar age, this phrase is used often within my circle of friends, to joke with each other about our single states :D

"Kheun khan" refers to a woman who has passes her maiden days but has not married yet, i.e. an "old maid". It has a slightly negative meaning because in the olden days women were expected to marry so there would be someone to take care of them and protect them. (So I suppose not getting married might be considered a failure.)

A boat that needs to be repaired will have to be brought up onto shore and lifted up onto a "khan", which is a lever or prop of sorts, so that repairs and maintenance can be done. Therefore, during that period the boat is rendered useless, being stuck up there on the "khan" (similar to a lady who is already past the marriage-able age, I suppose). The word is used only for women.

source: The Royal Institute + my own wording :o

thanks for the explanation siamesekitty. i had come across คานเรือ as 'drydock' before, but didn't realise it could be a smaller cradle-type structure as well. also, i remember hearing a comedian talking about ขึ้นคาน before, but the pun he was making just went over my head.

here's the skit. the คาน joke is in the first 30 seconds.

all the best.

now i look in my domnern-sathienpong dictionary, i also see คานทอง defined as "well-to-do-spinster".

Edited by aanon

In conversation yesterday a Thai was talking about the Head of Public Relations at Channel 5, an unmarried lady in her forties he said something like เเก่เกินเเกง too old for a curry. He said sometimes a chicken can be seen as too old to be eaten or made into a curry and was using it to describe an old maid. I don't know if I got the phrase right or if it's commonplace.

But like the OP, I was of the opinion she was in fact not past her prime.

I've just had an idea, why doesn't Thai Visa start a dating agency thread?!

A boat that needs to be repaired will have to be brought up onto shore and lifted up onto a "khan",

Equivalent to the English "On the shelf" perhaps ?