Two English Men Caught With 68.7g Of Marijuana

Pattaya_Fox

Two English men caught with 68.7g of Marijuana.

On Friday Morning, Police Colonel Nopadon, the Superintendent of Pattaya Police Station held another of his press conferences which are taking place on a daily basis at the moment. This time, two cases were presented to the gathered media.

The first case involved the arrest of two English Nationals at the Niran Grand Condo in Soi Arunothai, Central Pattaya who were caught in possession of 68.7g of the class 5 drug Marijuana. Mr. Andrew Roy Anderson aged 28 and Mr. Christopher Walker aged 32 were caught following intelligence received by Police relating to the two men. They confessed to possession of a class 5 drug and will appear in court early next week.

The second case features Khun Boonyong aged 31 who was arrested in Soi Gopai, South Pattaya following an undercover operation. He was arrested following the sale of class 1 drugs to an undercover officer posing as a drugs buyer. The suspect was caught in possession of 2.7g of Crystal Methamphetamine, known in Thailand as “Ya Ice”. He has been charged with dealing in a class 1 drug and will also appear in court early next week.

post-15964-1203680164_thumb.jpg

post-15964-1203680174_thumb.jpg

post-15964-1203680182_thumb.jpg

Pattaya City News

22-02-08

Maybe not too far off the mark. If you can believe some of the recent newspaper articles, the police appear to apply for, and receive rewards after drug busts. This certainly lends support to some of the victims of alleged planting of drugs by BIB as well as police or their informants selling drugs to unsuspecting tourists or whoever. The group connected with "Nat" were reported to have legally received over 3 million in rewards. So much for the " pay them more and underpaid" advocates.

Oh wow...major drug bust...one small bag of weed!!! Looks like personal use quantity to me and I would suspect a pissed-off girlfriend or under paid nite-time companion as the "intelligence" in the English men's case.

Agree! There are much bigger fish to fry than a couple of casual smokers.

Could it be the start of a drug war ? :o

:D

Ah, the streets of Pattaya are now safer now that these hardened criminals are in the klink :D :D

Pot is NOT a dangerous drug and there is an ever-growing number of places where 'personal use' amounts are either completely overlooked or considered a misdemeanor. heck, even in my redneck state, Virginia, it's not a big deal...well, unless your employer is a fan of beer and myopic to the realities of this fairly harmless substance. I hope my attitude here won't put me on Samak's upcoming war on drugs... :o

Good luck boys, you're gonna need it ( or a lot of money :D )
Straight to jail...do not collect anything when you pass go. And your get out of jail card is going to cost you big time!

For a couple of maryjane tokes ? what are you guys on ? :o

Naka.

It does not matter if you believe marijuana is a harmless drug which should be legalized.

Its illegal to sell and use it in Thailand (as in most countries).

So if you take the risk doing something illegal then you should also know that you stand in risk of being caught and punished according to the laws in the country where you are caught.

And this is something to especially take into consideration when visiting countries like Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore where drug offenses are treated severely.

By the time it gets in front of the cameras, you've likely lost all hope of paying your way out (unless you have cash AND favors to call in). As a general rule, whether it's not wearing your helmet, driving without a license, or 68.7 kgs. of happy smoke.... you pay the peons. When you get to the police booth, you have to pay the whole booth. When you get to the station, your bribe has to be enough to trickle down appropriately through the whole station. When you get on TV...

:o

It does not matter if you believe marijuana is a harmless drug which should be legalized.

Its illegal to sell and use it in Thailand (as in most countries).

So if you take the risk doing something illegal then you should also know that you stand in risk of being caught and punished according to the laws in the country where you are caught.

And this is something to especially take into consideration when visiting countries like Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore where drug offenses are treated severely.

Completely agree - it is not whether MJ is dangerous or addicitve or anything - it's about breaking the law.

Heng

or 68.7 kgs. of happy smoke

It's grammes, not kilogrammes. It would have been a plastic bag-ful, not a couple of suitcases-ful.

68.7g = 2.42 ounces. Definitely not a couple of joints worth, but neither is it a huge amount for a regular user. It could also be classified as not for personal use, certainly if it was split into smaller quantities. Either way possession is illegal, regardless of whether you believe it is relatively risk free.

Good luck boys, you're gonna need it ( or a lot of money :D )
Straight to jail...do not collect anything when you pass go. And your get out of jail card is going to cost you big time!

For a couple of maryjane tokes ? what are you guys on ? :o

Naka.

Do a google and see what what happens if you are caught by their detector machines at the airport with even a speck on you in Dubai.

Oh wow...major drug bust...one small bag of weed!!! Looks like personal use quantity to me and I would suspect a pissed-off girlfriend or under paid nite-time companion as the "intelligence" in the English men's case.

Agree! There are much bigger fish to fry than a couple of casual smokers.

Could it be the start of a drug war ? :o

:D

Funny you should say that....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7260127.stm

Yep..it is illegal and laws should be obeyed. But what if most of the people think the law is not a good one? The number of guys and girls now in their 40's and 50's , and above, that grew up on smoke is considerable and doesn't seem to have caused any great social upheavel. I am sure that regular marijuana, not engineered like "skunk", is not particularily harmful. But the quantity involved hardly puts these unlucky guys in the big league. At first I thought it was 68 KILOS !! Not the 2.5 ounces that would be easily used over a couple of weeks. Great isn't it? A couple of farang go on the media circus in Thailand and the local guys who commit murder with guns, knives and caars get off scott free in many cases. What's worse...the guy who crossed the median last week and killed a family and ran off....or these guys on for a toke?? Hard to get my head around the priorities here.

Break the law, you pay the price....

whether or not you believe the law is relevent today or whether it is a silly law or not....IT IS THE LAW full stop. BTW....68.7 grams is also above the personal use limit for most countries....lucky they didnt get an intent to sell/supply charge.

Break the law, you pay the price....

.IT IS THE LAW full stop. BTW....68.7 grams is also above the personal use limit for most countries....

not in some parts of Australia though

THE LAW, STATE BY STATE

South Australia

South Australia decriminalised low-level marijuana use in 1987, putting in place the most relaxed drug laws in the country. The cultivation and possession of small amounts of cannabis, up to 100 grams, attracts on-the-spot fines ranging from $50 to $150 - an offence similar to a parking ticket. There is no conviction and the matter does not go to court. The same on-the-spot-fine system applies to small-scale cultivation, with up to 10 backyard plants attracting the maximum $150 fine. For amounts greater than 100 grams or more than 10 plants, normal prosecutions apply.

New South Wales

It remains illegal to cultivate, possess and/or sell cannabis. There is no provision for police to caution or warn first-time offenders, and there is no system of on-the-spot fines for cannabis-related crimes. Offenders must face court, where fines and prison terms are common, although magistrates can release offenders without conviction.

Queensland

The laws in this state are in line with those in New South Wales.

Tasmania

Cabinet approval is imminent on proposals to reduce to a formal written caution the first time possession of up to 50 grams of marijuana for personal use. Under the changes, infringement notices would be issued, but charges would not be laid and people would not have drug offences recorded against their names. The shift is modelled on Victorian police policy and will be trailed for 12 months.

ACT (Ed. note: Australian Capital Territory around Canberra)

The personal use of cannabis was decriminalised here in 1992. Now anyone found with less than 25 grams of cannabis or fewer than five cannabis plants generally faces a spot fine of up to $100 with no conviction recorded. However the law also gives police the discretion to lay a criminal charge.

Western Australia

The conservative Government has refused to bow to calls for minor cannabis use to be decriminalised. Under the WA criminal code, a person caught in possession of any quantity of an illegal drug is required to appear before a magistrate. Most minor offenders walk away with a small fine. Police can use their discretion on whether to charge first-time cannabis offenders, but this remains a grey area.

Northern Territory

While the Northern Territory has Australia’s most draconian laws in regard to stealing and property offences, its marijuana laws are considered to be among the most liberal. The Chief Minister, Mr Shane Stone, introduced on-the-spot fines for possession of small amounts of cannabis - less than 50 grams - which were for personal use.

so i guess you have to choose carefully where you smoke your dope in Australia and get your facts right before adopting a holier than though attitude!

my guess is that had this crime not had Brits involved you would not have even bothered to comment.

example:

where were you when this became public?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...australian+drug

bigoted against Brits, Mr Burns?

I said most countries I believe.....didnt mention Oz but thanks for pointing out that not too many states allow that much for personal use....in WA by the way I believe it is 30 grams.

Holier than thou.....sorry I dont have any time for users or dealers of illicit drugs irrespective of how harmless some purport them to be.

Bigoted against Brits....Nope....bigoted against big mouth idiots...yes....BTW I was born in the UK. :D:o

I dont care where these guys come from....to smoke dope or do drugs in Thailand is absolute stupidity.....

Edited by gburns57au

Yeah, what a big deal...less than 2.5 ounces...and then, 2.5 ounces of what? It could be piss weak leaf or high quality/high-potency hydro.

Either way, a couple of guys could easily smoke through that in a night or two.

Looking for stories to fill the newspaper again.

Bigoted against Brits....Nope....bigoted against big mouth idiots...yes....BTW I was born in the UK. :D:D

so let me get this right, you left UK, went to live in Oz and you are bigoted against big mouth idiots?

I am so glad you can read..... :o:D

But lets keep this on topic.....these guys are idiots.....the laws against drugs in Asia are well documented. Anyway they ran the risk and got caught...their own fault.