Barbarian + Music History

CuriousGeorge77

Hey - I'm doing some research for a class on Thai music. Does anyone have any insight as to where thai msuic comes from, what parts, etc?

I've read that the Muay thai music, for example, derives from Indonesian army music.

I am also particularly interested in the history of the gong.

Also, i ran across this on thai2english.com, and I was curious that มิลักขะ = Dravidian/Tamil. The Dravidians were Indianified Hmong, right?

I was also reading that shortly before Nakhon Sri Thammarat was incorporated into sukhothai, they actually invaded Sri Lanka, and would have won except for shifting allegiences on the battlefield made their end. This seems to be the only time any country from SE Asian attacked anyone not in SE Asia. (just thought that was interesting)

Thanks for any references/suggestions/tips/et al

มิลักขะ

mí-lák-kà <li> barbarian ; aborigine <li> Tamil ; Dravidian ; outcaste

Hey - I'm doing some research for a class on Thai music. Does anyone have any insight as to where thai msuic comes from, what parts, etc?

I've read that the Muay thai music, for example, derives from Indonesian army music.

Also, i ran across this on thai2english.com, and I was curious that มิลักขะ = Dravidian/Tamil. The Dravidians were Indianified Hmong, right?

I was also reading that shortly before Nakhon Sri Thammarat was incorporated into sukhothai, they actually invaded Sri Lanka, and would have won except for shifting allegiences on the battlefield made their end. This seems to be the only time any country from SE Asian attacked anyone not in SE Asia. (just thought that was interesting)

มิลักขะ

Here is an article by Professor Nithi Eewsriwong from Midnight University. The Thai might be challenging but reading Professor Nithi is usually a rewarding experience. The url is http://www.midnightuniv.org/midnight2545/document9630.html and the title of the article is

"ผู้หญิง-ดนตรีลีลา-และภูมิปัญญาสถาบัน" by ศ.ดร. นิธิ เอียวศรีวงศ์

I wish you luck. Please let us know what you have found.

มิลักขะ

Check out www.royin.go.th/en/printing/detail.php?ID=122 . This is " The Royal Institute Encyclopaedia of Thai Music : Vocal Music, Musical Instruments and Performance." or "สารานุกรมศัพท์ดนตรีไทย ภาคคีตะ-ดุริยางค์ ฉบับราชบัณฑิตย-สถาน"

Although the title is translated on the RI's website, there is no indication as to whether the book itself is translated into English in whole or in part.

Edited by DavidHouston