Easiest Way To Get To Vientiane For Visa Run

realthaideal

Howdy. You know me, always asking on behalf of a 'friend.' Since I'm always on here, why not ? Anyway, got to help send a newbie friend on her way to Vientianne next month to pick up a multi-entry Tourist Visa so she can keep jumping thru the hoops and then come back and stick around town awhile. Has anybody here made the journey to Vientianne from Chiang Mai recently, and by what creative and simple means ? Bus ? To Udorn first or Nong Khai direct ? Any tips would be a help. And yes, I've already posted a thing in the Visa Forum, but need local CM advice as well since many are giving BKK-centric advice that only marginally applies. Thanks in advance for your tips.

Lao Airlines fly a couple of times a week from CNX - dont think their fares are too expensive.

A cheaper option is to Fly Nok Air Chiang Mai Udon & then get a bus from Udon station (I think its the train station but it could be the bus station), direct to Vientianne.

It's quite a gruelling 10 hr + trip in a car - best to stop over in Loei

Bus is a lengthy option - not for the faint hearted.

Take the airplane. Did the drive last week..nightmare! Highway project with about 100 dirt trucks lumbering for miles made it about 11 and a half hours and lots of excitement with the passing attempts by the finest drivers in all the world

Yep, take the plane it is definitely worth the few extra baht.

laosairlines.com should be the web site but I get a Trojan security warning from my antivirus software when I attempt to connect to the site so I'd suggest going to the office which is down the soi opposite the petrol station after Central Kad San Keaw.

JxP

just did that trip last month....fly Nok to Udon Thani, then take a mini van from airport to border 150 baht. then a taxi from the border to vietienne about 150-200 baht

or as millwall fan says: from the airport get to the bus station and for about 80 baht get a bus which will take you all the way into vientienne...actually that's what I did coming back....caught the bus from vientienne all the way to Udonthani..the bus waits for everyone as they go through the border process..very easy trip

just did that trip last month....fly Nok to Udon Thani, then take a mini van from airport to border 150 baht. then a taxi from the border to vietienne about 150-200 baht

or as millwall fan says: from the airport get to the bus station and for about 80 baht get a bus which will take you all the way into vientienne...actually that's what I did coming back....caught the bus from vientienne all the way to Udonthani..the bus waits for everyone as they go through the border process..very easy trip

i saw that vent - ud thani bus at the border when i was coming back last time. if i recall correctly the cost was about 200 baht more than taking the short hops, but the convenience and comfort factor would probably make it worthwhile.

where do i get it in ventienne?

Thanks for all the help so far, she's feeling alot more relaxed and knowledgeable about how to do it now. And of course I'm having her look into the travel subforum also for where to stay, but anyone got a rec on where to put up for a couple nights on a budget ? Like 150-400 B/ night budget ? I think that's her comfort zone.

Thanks for all the help so far, she's feeling alot more relaxed and knowledgeable about how to do it now. And of course I'm having her look into the travel subforum also for where to stay, but anyone got a rec on where to put up for a couple nights on a budget ? Like 150-400 B/ night budget ? I think that's her comfort zone.

Say Lom Yen Guesthouse on Say Lom Yen Rd. Safe, clean, A/C or fan, hot water, cable tv.

Very good info. How about Chiangmai to Luang Prabang has anybody experience about. It seem interested, can we get a visa there.

Thanks, :o

From CM to Chiang Khong by bus or van. Cross the Maekhong. You are in Ban Houay Xay (not sure about the spelling). The morning after, take a slow boat. One night in Pak Baeng (the Maekhong is too dangerous at night), then Luang Prabang.

On the slow boat, depending on the day/season, you might feel like a boat people (it's often crowdy)

There is a fast boat. I think it takes only one day but it's noisy and looks pretty dangerous.

You can get a visa in Chiang Khong or in CM (maybe a little bit cheaper). I don't know if it's possible now to get a visa on arrival.

Luang Prabang is beautiful.

Edited by adjan jb

Just did the ordinary bus to Udon recently,around 540 baht from the arcade bus station.Its around 15 hours though,& when we arrived at udon at 5.30am i needed to put 2 fleece tops on after a sleepless journey,dammmmm cold.From udon bus station it was 40 baht bus to Nong khai (the tuk tuk drivers may forget to tell you about this bus,but it leaves from the bay nearest the info desk),& from there we got a tuk tuk to the border (80 baht for 2 people) as the bus (55 baht)that went to Vientiene does not,apparently stop for people doing a VOA.Once youve gone through Laos immigration,& into laos if you walk straight through behind where the tuk tuks are there is a small bus (20 baht) that will take you to Vientiane,to the bus station that is a 5-10 minute walk from the mekong/guesthouse area (just say mekong to a local & they'll point you in the right direction),& a 15 minute walk to the thai consulate.

There are not to many real budget guesthouses (150 baht range) in the main travellers area of vientiane,but Sabaidee gh (also has a dorm),& Mixay gh are a couple of........real travellers places. :o

Edited by uptou

RTD, rev up your little girlie scooter, we'll RIDE there.

Forget all this bus this, tuk-tuk that, 40 B 20 B 400 B schmakle.

We'll ride to Chiang Khong, take the ferry over to Ban Huey Xai, jump on the slow boat to LP, then ride to Vientiane.

Come back through Nong Khai, Khon Kaen, etc.

Start packing your kit, dude.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the help everyone. My friend is pretty aware of what to expect now, though still a little anxious as would be expected for a first-time Lao Visa runner. I tell you, this TV community is where it's at for people needing to get a word of advice on things. We are lucky to have it and the internet - both gifts of the 'communication age.' I think she sees the wise ways of the Thai Visa Forum.

Anyway, McSpicy, did you do your thing and ride the bike out there ? How about those road repairs ? I hear it's slow n go all the way there.

The girl is flying Nok Air as per suggestion - 1,900 B one way - and then will stay in Lao till she gets her things taken care of. Then she's gonna bus it back from Udon - a long bus ride, but then she doesn't have to fork over for Nok not knowing whether she'll be ready to fly back in one day or five. I've heard stories of monkey business there at the Embassy so probably best not to plan the return in advance. Any further pointers n handling them are appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...
If flying in to Vientiane, can one get the Laos visa at the airport on arrival ?

I flew to Vientiane in May last year, the flight stopped off at Luang Prabang and my visa on arrival was issued at Luang Prabang before boarding the ongoing flight to Vientiane.

I hope that helps.

JxP

Yep, take the plane it is definitely worth the few extra baht.

laosairlines.com should be the web site but I get a Trojan security warning from my antivirus software when I attempt to connect to the site so I'd suggest going to the office which is down the soi opposite the petrol station after Central Kad San Keaw.

JxP

The correct official website is www.laos-airlines.com No Trojan and quite well laid out. Card processing handled in Europe (France I think) last time I looked but I think your right in suggesting a visit to the office is prob a better bet.

The www.laosairlines.com site you mention takes you to to domain drop registered in the West Indies and it's www.laoairlines.com that takes you to the site that attempts to drop a Trojan onto your computer. This particular bogus site is in fact registed to to a VIPHET SIHACHAKR; SETTHATHIRATH 205, VIENTIANE, XX po box 2924 and before that to some guy in Bangkok and is in no way linked to Laos Airlines so don't let it put you off.