Samak Sundaravej was elected

Jai Dee

Abhsit recognised the legitimacy of the PPP, as the largest single minority-party several months ago after the election, when he stepped aside to give them the chance to form a government, which they managed to do, after 2 weeks of haggling ("overwhelming vote" anybody ? !). He then proceeded to form an official Opposition to the government - in true democratic fashion.

So it is mistaken to suggest that he has only just now legitimised Samak/PPP. But it makes a good smear.

No, the point which is way off-topic, in a thread about Samak & his government, is the suggestion that there are some mysterious "militarists of TV" posting here, perhaps the real reasons they aren't posting reams on the PAD is that

1.. This is not the PAD/democratic-protest thread.

2.. These claimed "militarists on TV" don't really exist !

In evidence of the latter, I would point out that they also failed to post against events, when the military-apponted government properly handed-over power to the newly-elected government. That would surely have been when any out-and-out militarists might have been expected to show their hands ?

I don't recall anybody suggesting, that the hand-over of power ought not to go ahead, or that it would be wrong, do you ?

OK I see what you're saying.You are right about Abhisit's position: I believe he is a true democrat and one of the few Thai politicians one can contemplate without holding one's nose.Pity he lacks the common touch (He should take some lessons from his fellow Old Etonian David Cameron) but there we go.He did however re-emphasize his position and it was worth noting because even now there are those who deny the current government's legitimacy.It's an important point because it undercuts the arguments for extra constitutional change.

As for TV militarists, I don't really care one way or the other.This is a forum for foreigners with too much time on their hands, full of sound and fury signifying nothing.We shouldn't take ourselves too seriously, especially as free debate is very strictly circumscribed.

Some excellent advice from YH for a change! :D:o

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Psychologist: PM Lacks Leadership Skills and Egotistical

Psychologist and lecturer at Srinakarinwirot University’s Education Faculty, Wanlop Piyamanotham, noted that Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej is rude to the press because he lacks leadership skills, lacks mercy, and has too much ego, but affirms he isn’t going insane. 19586.gif

He points out the premier is trying to control himself but when he is asked a question that he does not want to hear, he just loses it all. smilie_shoot.gif

A recent footage of Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej glaring at the cameras for several minutes Angry.gif , after he met with the five political party leaders in the ruling coalition for a late lunch at a Bangkok hotel on Tuesday, has started speculations on if the premier is "losing it."

Wanlop said he has a weakness in being intolerable of negative comments, which shows a lack of leadership skills. What Samak should have done is show mercy to the reporters when they are mistaken and teach them. However, Thai society is full with leaders like this and it’s most likely they were berated a lot by their parents and teachers when they were young.

smilie_slap.gif

Wanlop says Samak’s increasing abrasiveness with the media shows he thinks he has nothing to lose if he leaves his post as he is supported by some military officers, foreigners, and the public.

However, the psychologist is still optimistic that these traits of the premier can be fixed if he tries to be more optimistic towards the media and remain calm in the face of criticisms.

He adds that Samak is not going insane as many fear, but he simply has too much ego so he does not care about anyone else.

- Thailand Outlook (today)

==============================================================================

No confirmation from the doctor that bedwetting continues to be a problem for the premier.

Edited by sriracha john

It's a shame everyone else forgot to wish a happy birthday to the Premier yesterday :D , but nevermind... moving on to more problems for him to solve with his usual effectiveness...

Government dredging plan comes under attack

Environmentalists have slammed the government's 15-Billion-Baht plan to dredge around 6,700 canals and natural water sources, saying the project would impact negatively upon the already fragile ecological system and local communities. The cabinet on Tuesday gave the nod for the project which aims to drastically increase the number of water retention areas in the country. The dredging project is part of Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej's 12-year water management scheme, worth around 500 Billion Baht. :o

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/14Jun2008_news99.php

PM clarifies disapproving demeanor towards press

Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej clarified, during his weekly political talk show, that his demeanor of disapproval earlier this week when asked about a dinner with the coalition parties stemmed from him being feeling bombarded by members of the press.

He stated that he had only consented to meeting with 8 reporters. The PM continued to say that he was only clarifying the matter as it has been made into an issue by other people.

The Prime Minister also explained that his recent trip to Chiang Mai province was in support of tourism for the province since it has seen a decline in visitor numbers. He denied that he had traveled there to make merit on the occasion of his 73rd birthday.

Samak took the opportunity to speak about garlic and chili pastes that he had purchased from Chiang Rai, using them as a segue-way to say that the government would use similar measures to its dealings with rice to remedy dropping garlic prices.

He also commented that the items he purchased in the north could be used to prepare a variety of foods and asked that citizens consider supporting Thai garlic.

- ThaiNews (today)

=======================================================================

Apparently there's a movement to have Chalerm's son, Wan (aka Mr. Happy Toilet), begin a new campaign now that Thailand's toilet situation has been sorted. He will be dressing up and going around the country promoting the product the PM plans to solve Thailand's economic woes with as Mr. Happy Garlic.

mrhappygarlic.jpg

Chonburi Citizens Council's appoved attire for Secretary to Deputy Public Health Minister Wan Yoobamrung

PM Samak: Government rejects opposition call for general debate

BANGKOK, June 15 (TNA) - Citing time constraints, Thai Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej said Sunday his government rejects the call by the opposition Democrat Party for a parliamentary debate on national problems during the ongoing extraordinary House session.

Speaking during his weekly TV and radio address, Mr. Samak whose government was installed on February 6, said the current extraordinary House session is aimed at considering government expenditures for Fiscal 2009, which begins this October 1, and organic laws under the constitution and therefore has no time for added parliamentary debate.

Normally, a House extraordinary session is held for three days to consider the draft government's budget for the new fiscal year but the session is extended upon requests by whips to consider a few "important draft laws", Mr. Samak said.

If held, members of the opposition Democrat Party still cannot cast no-confidence vote against the government during the general debate.

Mr. Samak went on to say that another request by a group of senators for his government to allow a general debate on the government's performance on June 23 is also impossible because the budget bill will be debated on June 25 and every ministry will be busy preparing for its budget for the new fiscal year.

The House extraordinary session is due to close on June 27.

Touching on threats by the Democrat Party members that they would seek a censure debate against the government if the request for the general debate is rejected, Mr. Samak said he personally has "no problem" but he would not extend the planned closure of the current extraordinary session.

The government has no fears about the debate because it "has done nothing wrong during the past four months of administration," he added.

Samak: Replace bus conductors with machines

BMTA employees: Don't you dare!

Automatic-ticket idea will see 7,500 jobs lost and will be fought, warns bus workers' union

Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej wants to replace 7,500 bus conductors with automatic ticketing machines. Bangkok Mass Transit Authority employees vehemently oppose the plan.

Samak says the idea will save the authority money. It's losing Bt600 million a month. It employs 18,000 people. "We will be able to tackle these losses by cutting down on staff," Samak says.

The authority's union says it's against the idea. "It's not appropriate yet," says union Vice Chairman Weerapong Wongwan. "It will affect more than 7,500 employees". The union will today demand Samak drops the idea. Weerapong says if the plan goes ahead, the government must promise not to lay off any workers.

"Termination of employment or early retirement is not acceptable," Weerapong declares.

- Daily Xpress (today)

Samart appointed as chief coalition whip

Samart Kaewmeechai, a Chiang Rai MP of the ruling People Power Party [and former Thai Rak Thai Party MP, but who was not one of the 111 banned TRT Party executives], was appointed the new chief of the government whip Monday.

Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej has appointed Samart to replace Chai Chidchob, who recently left the post to become the House Speaker.

- The Nation (today)

Edited by sriracha john

Sorry folks, but everytime I see the title of this thread, I feel a cold sensation in the back of my neck...

"Samak Sundaravej was elected"

Yes. Indeed. He was elected. :D

6 months after... this sentence takes a certain contours. :D

:o

551000005662801.jpg

I am clean: Samak

Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej Wednesday insisted on his honesty, saying he had not made a single baht in corruption over the past four months in office.

"I don't want to swear, but I want to say that if I dishonestly gained even a single baht, may I be doomed. :o:D But if I have never dishonestly gained any single baht, may I prosper and may nobody surround Government House," the premier said.

He was referring to an opposition allegation that his government was involved in corruption, one of the accusations outlined in a censure motion filed by the Democrat Party Wednesday.

The anti-government People's Alliance for Democracy, which has been staging a rally for almost a month near Government House, has threatened to besiege Government House tomorrow.

He said it appeared critics suspected the government's every move. "We just think about a project and they accuse us of being corrupt. We haven't even started it yet," the PM said.

"They were in power for three full years and they didn't do anything. This government has worked for only four months and now they jump in the way," :D :D Samak said, without identifying who he was talking about.

- The Nation

551000005662801.jpg

I am clean: Samak

Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej Wednesday insisted on his honesty, saying he had not made a single baht in corruption over the past four months in office.

"I don't want to swear, but I want to say that if I dishonestly gained even a single baht, may I be doomed. :o:D But if I have never dishonestly gained any single baht, may I prosper and may nobody surround Government House," the premier said.

He was referring to an opposition allegation that his government was involved in corruption, one of the accusations outlined in a censure motion filed by the Democrat Party Wednesday.

The anti-government People's Alliance for Democracy, which has been staging a rally for almost a month near Government House, has threatened to besiege Government House tomorrow.

He said it appeared critics suspected the government's every move. "We just think about a project and they accuse us of being corrupt. We haven't even started it yet," the PM said.

"They were in power for three full years and they didn't do anything. This government has worked for only four months and now they jump in the way," :D :D Samak said, without identifying who he was talking about.

- The Nation

He is complete right! He is doomed, if not on Friday, than one week later or so

The election threads are all old or closed, so we'll slot this into the People Power Party Leader's thread...

film280.jpg

A shirtless Krung Srivilai on the movie poster for the 1978 film, Thai titled: เสือเผ่น

yellow.gif

yellow.gif

EC yellow-cards 2 People Power Party MPs

Election Commission (EC) handed yellow card to two MPs of People Power party on Thursday.

The two are Jirapan Limsakulsirirat and actor Krung Srivilai, both contested in Samut Prakan province. The two are accused of breaking election law by bribing voters. EC will file the case with the Supreme Court for consideration within two weeks in order to organise a re-

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=128346

Edited by sriracha john

The election threads are all old or closed, so we'll slot this into the People Power Party Leader's thread...

film280.jpg

A shirtless Krung Srivilai on the movie poster for the 1978 film, Thai titled: เสือเผ่น

yellow.gif

yellow.gif

EC yellow-cards 2 People Power Party MPs

Election Commission (EC) handed yellow card to two MPs of People Power party on Thursday.

The two are Jirapan Limsakulsirirat and actor Krung Srivilai, both contested in Samut Prakan province. The two are accused of breaking election law by bribing voters. EC will file the case with the Supreme Court for consideration within two weeks in order to organise a re-

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=128346

Well considering we now know the parliament didnt deliberate a single bill and set up no committees, I guess it is good to hear at least a couple of the take the pay an do nothing brigade will have to face by-elections although no doubt the local feudal warlords will make sur ethe get their butts reelected so the do nothing regime can continue. Oh yes a nice picture of functioning democracy and pure administrative efficiency. I guess we must be back the legislation by unchecked cabinet resolution so beloved of the Thakin administration, which I thought had been made kinda illegal except during emergencies, or maybe we just dont have legislation anymore......

Just wondering like.......

Suppression of activists in Burma normal: Samak

Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej Sunday described Burmese leader Senior General Than Shwe as being religious person and killings and suppressions in the neighbouring country were "normal' things.

Speaking during his Samak's Talk programe broadcast live on Channel 11, Samak said Burma is a Buddhist country.

"Killings and suppressions are normal there but we have to know the fact," Samak said.

"And Senior Than Shwe practices meditation. He said he prays in the morning … and the country has been in peace and order."

- The Nation

Even more absurdity...

Thai PM says Myanmar's Suu Kyi detention is "OK"

BANGKOK - Thailand has no problem with the prolonged house arrest in Myanmar of opposition leader and Nobel Peace Prize laureate Aung San Suu Kyi, Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej said on Wednesday.

After a meeting in Bangkok with his counterpart from military-ruled Myanmar, Lieutenant-General Thein Sein, Samak said the former Burma's ruling generals had no plans to release 62-year-old Suu Kyi either before or after next month's constitutional referendum.

"They are not releasing her, but they will not interfere with her. They will put her on the shelf and not bother with her, which is unacceptable to foreigners," Samak, a vitriolic 72-year-old right-winger, told reporters.

"We think it's OK if she is put on the shelf," he said.

and more and more...

Thai PM Endorses Burmese Junta's Ban against Suu Kyi

The Thai prime minister endorsed the Burmese junta's barring opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi from future general elections.

Prime Minister and Defense Minister Samak Sundaravej led Burmese Prime Minister General Thein Sein on a ceremonial inspection of the troops, a gesture extended to welcome his Burmese counterpart

After the discussion session, the Thai premier commented on Burma's pending referendum on May 10th and the junta's preventing Aung San Suu Kyi from getting involved in the general election.

He said that it is not wrong for the junta to keep the National League for Democracy leader out of political affairs.

post-9005-1213859460_thumb.jpg

Myanmar nationals living in Thailand light a cake in front of a portrait of pro-democracy icon Aung San Suu Kyi outside the Myanmar embassy in Bangkok June 19, 2008. A crowd of nearly two dozen activists demanded the release of Aung San Suu Kyi after lighting a cake in honour of her 63rd birthday outside the embassy.

REUTERS

Happy Birthday, Aung San Suu Kyi

Best Wishes

Love, Samak....

Myanmar junta arrests Aung San Suu Kyi supporters on her birthday

Yangon - Myanmar authorities on Thursday arrested at least 30 supporters of opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi who had gathered to protest her five years of imprisonment on her birthday, eye witnesses said. A group of National League for Democracy (NLD) members gathered outside their party headquarters in Yangon to mark Suu Kyi's 63rd birthday which falls on Thursday by releasing 63 sparrows and shouting "Free Aung San Suu Kyi."

Seven government cars arrived shortly after the protest began and rounded up at least 30 of the NLD members, taking them away to an unknown destination.

Several of the protesters ran into the NLD headquarters avoiding arrest, eye witnesses said.

Suu Kyi, the 1990 Nobel Peace Prize laureate, has been kept under house arrest in near complete isolation since May 2003. On May 27, Myanmar's junta extended her house detention for another year.

Political activists in Myanmar have used Suu Kyi's birthday to highlight the lack of democratic progress in the country, which last month was hit by Cyclone Nargis, arguably shifting international attention to the resulting humanitarian catastrophe.

The junta, headed by Senior General Than Shwe, drew international fury for its brutal crackdown on Buddhist monks last September and more recently for its callousness in handling disaster relief for some 2.4 million people affected by Cyclone Nargis, that smashed in to the country's central coastal region on May 2-3 leaving at least 133,000 people dead or missing.

- DPA / 19-06-08

Quite a bit different than his earlier "hansum man" Rambo/James Bond/The Saint/etc. movie poster...

9353-1826.jpg

Natee Suthinpuak (aka acting/stage name Krung Srivilai) admits to being bald.

Thai Rath

EC yellow cards two PPP MP's

Election Commission (EC) Secretary-General Suthipol Taweechaikarn revealed that a recent EC meeting voted in favor of setting up a new election and issuing yellow cards to People Power Party MP's Natee Suthinpuak and Jiraphan Limsakulsirirat from Samut Prakan province, district 2.

The two have been alleged of giving incentives and using unjust means to persuade voters. The EC has tasked its investigative division to draft the matter and forward it to the Supreme Court for deliberation to be completed in 2 weeks.

- ThaiNews (today)

Thaksin and PPP MP's don’t pressure PM to resign

Ex-PM Thaksin Shinawatra has not pressured PM Samak, PPP spokesman Kudep Saikrachang said Saturday. He also said that none of PPP MPs asked him to step down because they all want him to solve national problems. He added that it is not possible that soldiers would pressure the PM to resign either because they all want problems to be solved. His statement contradicted local reports that said Army Chief Anupong Paochinda urged Samak to seriously consider dissolving parliament to end political

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=128399

Samak leaves home for 'safe house' at 4 am

Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej left his home at 4 am Saturday and went to a "safe house" to avoid reporters, a well-informed source said.

Reporters, who stake out outside Samak's house on Soi Navamin 81, were told by workers in the house at 6 am that the prime minister was not at home.

- The Nation (today)

and last night activities.... smiley_singing.gif

While protesters surrounded Government House yesterday, PM Samak was in a karaoke lounge :D at the Army Club monitoring the protests. Samak reportedly contemplated going to a number of venues where he could monitor and assess the situation. There are no conference rooms at the club, so Samak was escorted to the VIP 3 karaoke lounge. His entourage settled down in the VIP 2 lounge. :o Karaoke monitors were tuned to television stations so Samak and his team could monitor the demonstration. He was later joined by Army Chief, First Army Commander, and National Police Chief. Samak was then seen leaving as he sneaked into a pick-up truck and his motorcade reportedly headed in the direction of the Air Force Base at Don Mueang. It was reported that Samak used three vehicles yesterday in an apparent bid to

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/210608_News/21Jun2008_news02.php

Thai PM refuses to resign

Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej on Saturday refused to bow to the demands of anti-government protesters who vowed to besiege his office until he resigned.

But deputy government spokesman Natawut Saikau told The Associated Press that Samak would not resign. "The demand is unreasonable," he said.

Samak would explain the ongoing political tensions in Thailand to the public later Sunday, Natawut said.

- Associated Press (today)

PPP Spokesman says PM will not resign

The Spokesman of the People Power Party (PPP) and member of the party’s war room, Lt. Kuthep Saikrachang, says it is impossible for the Prime Minister and Defense Minister Samak Sundaravej, to resign, as the government has been formed for only three months.

- ThaiNews (today)

and last night activities.... smiley_singing.gif

While protesters surrounded Government House yesterday, PM Samak was in a karaoke lounge :D at the Army Club monitoring the protests. Samak reportedly contemplated going to a number of venues where he could monitor and assess the situation. There are no conference rooms at the club, so Samak was escorted to the VIP 3 karaoke lounge. His entourage settled down in the VIP 2 lounge. :o Karaoke monitors were tuned to television stations so Samak and his team could monitor the demonstration. He was later joined by Army Chief, First Army Commander, and National Police Chief. Samak was then seen leaving as he sneaked into a pick-up truck and his motorcade reportedly headed in the direction of the Air Force Base at Don Mueang. It was reported that Samak used three vehicles yesterday in an apparent bid to

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/210608_News/21Jun2008_news02.php

I got told he didn't like the music there and his friends sang the wrong songs.....

His behaviour is quite bizarre. The head of the government doesnt speak to reproters anymore while the seat of government is surrounded,. Obviously he has lost massive amounts of face or maybe even had it broken but you'd expect the head of a government to rally the troops (excuse the expression) and to be making statements on how the problem would be resolved.

Rumors of PM Being Forced to Resign by Military

Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej left his residence for an unknown destination since early this morning. His schedule for the whole day has not been disclosed to the media, but he is due to participate in an event at the Public Relations Department on Viphavadee-Rangsit Road at 1 p.m.

Rumors have been circulating that he is being pressured to resign from his post by the military to lessen the current political tension while the Emergency Decree will be invoked to disperse the rally that has settled in front of Government House since yesterday.

PM Samak held an emergency meeting with Army Commander-in-Chief and First Region Army Commander yesterday.

After the meeting, Lieutenant General Prayuth said simply that the meeting discussed the current situation, but refused to give details. Both Samak and General Anupong refused to comment, but Samak was said to have a strained expression on his face and he tried to elude the media on his way out after the meeting.

- Thailand Outlook

His behaviour is quite bizarre. The head of the government doesnt speak to reproters anymore while the seat of government is surrounded,. Obviously he has lost massive amounts of face or maybe even had it broken but you'd expect the head of a government to rally the troops (excuse the expression) and to be making statements on how the problem would be resolved.

He's waiting for the safety of the old Channel 11 spin studios...

PM to Announce Plan to Deal with PAD Rally Tomorrow

PM Samak Sundaravej has told the media he will not flee from Government House now that the PAD protestors have surrounded it. He says he will announce tomorrow on his weekly television program about his plans to deal with the PAD rally.

- Thailand Outlook

Rumors of PM Being Forced to Resign by Military

Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej left his residence for an unknown destination since early this morning. His schedule for the whole day has not been disclosed to the media, but he is due to participate in an event at the Public Relations Department on Viphavadee-Rangsit Road at 1 p.m.

Rumors have been circulating that he is being pressured to resign from his post by the military to lessen the current political tension while the Emergency Decree will be invoked to disperse the rally that has settled in front of Government House since yesterday.

PM Samak held an emergency meeting with Army Commander-in-Chief and First Region Army Commander yesterday.

After the meeting, Lieutenant General Prayuth said simply that the meeting discussed the current situation, but refused to give details. Both Samak and General Anupong refused to comment, but Samak was said to have a strained expression on his face and he tried to elude the media on his way out after the meeting.

- Thailand Outlook

Who do the military want as PM when the big reshuffle comes up in a couple of months? Samak, Thaksin's Bro-in-law, the mad doctor or do they have another plan.

PM Samak Sundaravej has told the media he will not flee from Government House now that the PAD protestors have surrounded it. He says he will announce tomorrow on his weekly television program about his plans to deal with the PAD rally.

- Thailand Outlook

Send emissaries, state of emergency, cry, propose changing the constitution again for a laugh, cook em all a khao pat or what?

PPP Assures PM Won't Quit His Post

The People Power Party held a press conference, assuring the Prime Minister won't be quitting his post after rumors came out of his possible resignation, as pressured by the military.

Now that the PAD rally has relocated to Government House, the PPP made a satirical comment that Cabinet will have to meet at a temple.

- Thailand Outlook

======================================================================

a temple would actually be the perfect place for them...

- Thailand Outlook

a. Send emissaries,

b. state of emergency

c. cry

d. propose changing the constitution again for a laugh

e. cook em all a khao pat

f. or what?

A combination of b. and e.