The Dark Side

paul1970

• 3 months later...

Hello,

I am sorry to ask here but as you seem to know this area can someone tell me how much can cost a small land deep in the darkside to grow my vegetables ?

Do you think that I will find a place easily ? Rent or buy ?

Thank you.

Don't mean to be a spoiler on your share cropping aspirations but if you are growing food outside of your domestic location them you will need a work permit. Even if it's for your own consumption.

How much does it cost to rent a small house or condo with western standard on the dark side ? Would love to get away from the Russian invasion.

Sent from my SM-P601 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Hello,

I am sorry to ask here but as you seem to know this area can someone tell me how much can cost a small land deep in the darkside to grow my vegetables ?

Thank you.

Don't mean to be a spoiler on your share cropping aspirations but if you are growing food outside of your domestic location them you will need a work permit. Even if it's for your own consumption.

No problem, I am clean :-)

But anyway I would certainly also install a bungalow on this land if I buy it, so it will also be a home sometimes :-)

Do you know any websites that sells lands on the Darkside ?

Thank you.

Hello,

Thank you.

No problem, I am clean :-)

But anyway I would certainly also install a bungalow on this land if I buy it, so it will also be a home sometimes :-)

Do you know any websites that sells lands on the Darkside ?

Thank you.

Just drive around the areas you are interested in, land for sale with have a sign. Alternatively just ask around with the local Thais or go to a mosque as much of the land is owned by local Thai Muslims. BTW the Land Office will have a record of the land value, that you use as a starting point for any negotiation.

I assume you will buy land in GF/wife's name?

I know it's been awhile since news has been posted in this thread but 3 new restaurants are worthy of mention:

Holland Cafe. This place is hardly a secret as it does a brisk trade all day long. Open from early morning to 6 I believe. It's an air conditioned coffee shop-bakery-restaurant serving excellent Thai and farang food, fresh baked breads and cakes, and espresso coffe drinks and smoothies. It's associated with the holland tulip resort a short distance away, which also has a restaurant and is open later for dinner after the cafe closes. All the Thai and farang dishes I have tried have been excellent, with special mention going to the onion and split pea soups and the chicken with cashew nuts and apparagus and shrimp stir fry. The breads are a treat as well...they compare favorably with the breads at Big C Extra. Holland Cafe is located on SSCC Road, just a few doors up from the Nongprue intersection.

La Grotta Italian and Pizzaria. This is a nice non-air conditioned pasta a pizza place located on Mappilla soi 28 (just outside Pattaya Paradise Village 2 , near to where the old Titty Twister biker bar was located). They serve excellent pastas and savory euro-style thin crust pizzas. Ingredient quality is high so the pies taste really good and they have a wood burning pizza oven to bake them in. They are open from about 4 pm till late.

Finally, Alexandros Greek Restaurant. I haven't tried this place yet but just want to let folks know its out there. Located a bit before the Pussycat Club on soi NPW, it is a single shophouse affair and open only for dinner I believe. I hope to try it soon.

Alexandros is now closed. I only saw very few people ever eating in there...maybe some kind da record for opening to closing date...about four months.

Not seen any comments about the Vientiane Restaurant( that used to be on second road plus other later locations around Pattaya) now at the top end of Nernplubwan.It seems quite busy at weekends.

Anyone tried it?

Yep...many times and excellent. The stir-fry hot plates are my favorites. Thai and western food but not tried the western. Open from 11 till late.

• Like 2

Not seen any comments about the Vientiane Restaurant( that used to be on second road plus other later locations around Pattaya) now at the top end of Nernplubwan.It seems quite busy at weekends.

Anyone tried it?

Yes very good, town prices though.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Too bad for the Alexandros. I was looking for it and never found it.

As for gardening, let the Thai wife do it and concentrate on the eating which is - as far as I am aware of - not yet subject to the labour law.

xcool.png.pagespeed.ic.jz1nB6CMOI.png

As for gardening, let the Thai wife do it and concentrate on the eating which is - as far as I am aware of - not yet subject to the labour law.

not yet, Thailand could become the hub of eating....

Try "Blue Olive", Theprasit Soi 8 (on the way to Land Office).

( 12° 54.595'N, 100° 52.804'E)

They got a few Greek dishes, very yummy ....

luudee

Try "Blue Olive", Theprasit Soi 8 (on the way to Land Office).

( 12° 54.595'N, 100° 52.804'E)

They got a few Greek dishes, very yummy ....

luudee

Do the words "Dark side" in the op's title mean anything to you? Edited by OMGImInPattaya
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A new restaurant with the rather unoriginal name of Cheers Pub and Restaurant has opened in the old strangly named Huge Food (fka Ruan Tip) restaurant. I just noticed it tonite as I was heading into town so don't know anything about the menu, quality, or prices. I hope the place is worthy on all the above as I sorely miss the old RT, which was one of my favs on the Darkside.

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

A new restaurant with the rather unoriginal name of Cheers Pub and Restaurant has opened in the old strangly named Huge Food (fka Ruan Tip) restaurant. I just noticed it tonite as I was heading into town so don't know anything about the menu, quality, or prices. I hope the place is worthy on all the above as I sorely miss the old RT, which was one of my favs on the Darkside.

is this on nung plab wan before the bridge near the riverside pub?

on another note a new German restaurant has opened further up your road

on the left in the shop houses before the school

seemed busy as i past this evening

OMG - on NPW?

BTW, I was a regular at Alexandros, and Alex even came to my house with some food one day when I was too tied up with work to go out. Lovely guy, and I liked his tucker, especially the tzaziki. I spoke to him on the phone the day after he closed, and he was very cut up about it. He'd put in a lot of effort, growing a lot of his own vegies and making his own bread and yogurt and so forth. But, the location killed it. I hope he comes back and gets a stall alongside Mediterranean Mike at Big C South.

is this on nung plab wan before the bridge near the riverside pub?

on another note a new German restaurant has opened further up your road

on the left in the shop houses before the school

seemed busy as i past this evening

It's opposite the 89 baht carwash place if you know where that is...about a half kilo up from wat sutawas in NPW.

That German place been there awhile...not tried as yet as not big fan of German food and many Swiss places in the neighborhood.

OMG - on NPW?

BTW, I was a regular at Alexandros, and Alex even came to my house with some food one day when I was too tied up with work to go out. Lovely guy, and I liked his tucker, especially the tzaziki. I spoke to him on the phone the day after he closed, and he was very cut up about it. He'd put in a lot of effort, growing a lot of his own vegies and making his own bread and yogurt and so forth. But, the location killed it. I hope he comes back and gets a stall alongside Mediterranean Mike at Big C South.

That's too bad about Alex...probably a good cook but maybe limited actual business skills. Besides the location, which was not the best and the limited signage (some have posted they couldn't find the place) I never saw any advertising or marketing of any kind. I know this kind of stuff can be expensive and funds may have been tight but you gotta spend money to make money. Also, a rather specialized cuisine, which I love but may not appeal to everyone like Italian. I hope he lands on his feet in a new location and makes a go of it.

If your asking about Cheers...yeah, it's on NPW about a kilo up from wat satuwas on the right. It's a prominent corner location at a bend in the road so hard to miss.

new little restaurant on Siam country club road

its called Bunnys

its in a shop house on the left after the kindergarten

yellow signage

parking outside

eat inside or outside

opens 9am-3pm then 6pm until late

excellent English type food

roast lamb pork chicken etc

mash, cauliflower , veg etc

desserts, rhubarb and apple pie with custard

steamed treacle pudding and custard

good service

English owner

not expensive

well worth a try

(its not my restaurant, i just thought he deserved a mention)

• Like 1

new little restaurant on Siam country club road

its called Bunnys

its in a shop house on the left after the kindergarten

yellow signage

parking outside

eat inside or outside

opens 9am-3pm then 6pm until late

excellent English type food

roast lamb pork chicken etc

mash, cauliflower , veg etc

desserts, rhubarb and apple pie with custard

steamed treacle pudding and custard

good service

English owner

not expensive

well worth a try

(its not my restaurant, i just thought he deserved a mention)

Seen the place...single-shophouse place not well signposted. The sign outside saying "English Food" kinda scares me off. It's in a block of new shophouses not too far past wanisam farm area and Nongprue road intersection on the right is heading east. So many such places, however, so don't give this place much of a chance.

actually i really wonder how can tourists crash on the darkside? But maybe vacation around a a 10 lanes street is already good for chinese and russians ?

Crashes happen everywhere.

Your second question has got me thinking I am maybe loosing my mind, can you repeat that in English blink.png

• 1 month later...

For those looking for a nice cup of coffee at the lower end of Nern Plub Wan, there is a nice tidy air-con shop with the name "Coffee Shop" run by an Italian fella and his partner (whose really easy on the eyes...just the thing in the morning). This gal knows how to handle the espresso machine knob and pulls a nice espresso or cappachino. There is also a small selection of homemade baked goods and a sandwich menu. They are open from 8-8 and have free wi-fi. It's located about 100 meters done from the wanisan farm intersection on the left (towards W. Satuwas). It's next to (part of) the moto rental shop next door. Stop by and support the place as prices are Darkside (35-45 baht for coffees) and do your eyes a favor too.

• 4 weeks later...

Can someone tell me what has happened to La Grotta Italian and Pizzaria on Mappilla soi 28 (just outside Pattaya Paradise Village 2 near to where the old Titty Twister biker bar was located)? I took the family there last week (albeit very early at around 16.30) as the children wanted lasagne and previously we have had excellent meals and service. Both lasagnes were dry and had very little meat content and whilst used to food appearing at the table at various times, it did seem odd that the two lasagnes came up 10 minutes apart? I bet on a pork scallop with spaghetti and tomato sauce, the pork was tough and yet raw (still oinking) in the middle. Has the place changed hands, is the owner away, did I just hit it at a bad time i.e. early evening? I did try to offer positive feedback but was met with an attitude I have never experienced in that particular restaurant before but then never have had to comment before. So glad I checked it out before my family arrived at the weekend as I would have been embarrassed had I taken them there. Any feedback much appreciated as it was a handy Italian option in my local area.