The Dark Side

paul1970

I guess I didn't make myself clear. Most times someone mentions a restaurant, I have to go back through a bunch of pages/posts searching for the directions.

Here's the kind of map I had in mind (I tried to place Rung/Crossroads restaurants as best I could, but they're probably wrong):

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&i....11673&z=13

Or

http://tinyurl.com/3o6hfv

Might be a crazy idea, but if these restauants get more business, perhaps they won't close as quickly as the typical Pattaya establishment, and a map like this might help. I tried to set it up so anyone can edit it.

Cheers, Jimmyd

Neither can be accessed directly from the west side of Sukhumvit. You have to go north on Suk, toward Pattaya Nua, and make a U-turn before you reach that road. Then drive back to go down Soi Siam, or past it, to go down Nernplubwarn (Soi 53), just before the pedestrian bridge near Pattaya Klang.

Hey George, I know I was a little harsh on Chester's but I was in a cranky mood when I posted it :D You are certainly right about any restaurant needing time to "settle in" and it would be great if they find their grove and are able to make those sorely missed American breakfast treats you mention.

As to directions, besides the u-turn method you mention, another route that I find very convenient when returning from the main Pattaya area (either coming directly up Central or coming from South [up Sukhumvit]) is to make a RIGHT turn at the top of Central onto Sukhumvit. Then merge immediately to the left-hand lane and make a left at the soi just after the bus station (a 7-11 is there too) and this goes to a T-junction at the new RR track road. Make a left there and continue on to Nernplubwan. Then make a left or right depending on where you are going (mostly right).

It sounds complicated but it is really isn't and is much shorter (uses less gas :o and faster than the u-turn route.

Just read quite a few comments complementing Rung Thip. Can someone direct me to this restaurant from Sukhumvit end.

Thanks a lot.

Rung Thip is located just shy of 4 kilos down from Sukhumvit on soi Nernplubwan on the left side of the road. So first get yourself going down NPW. At around 3.5 kilos start looking on your left. It is very easy to miss coming from this direction because the restaurant sign is small and partially obscured by tree branches. However, it is on a corner lot with a large walled-in parking area (another reason its easy to pass by). At about 3.5 kilos, there will be a slight curve in the road to the right...that is where Rung Thip is located.

If you miss it don't worry, as you can only go about another kilo before Nernplubwan dead ends at Wat Satuwas. Just turn around and go back about 1 kilo...Rung Thip is actually much easier to spot when coming from this direction.

I am sure you won't be disappointed. All Thai food is recommended. For Farang, I can recommend the pork cordon bleu, Hungarian Stew, and even the spaghetti with meat sauce is pretty good.

Edited by jonniebkk

Just read quite a few comments complementing Rung Thip. Can someone direct me to this restaurant from Sukhumvit end.

Thanks a lot.

Rung Thip is located just shy of 4 kilos down from Sukhumvit on soi Nernplubwan on the left side of the road. So first get yourself going down NPW. At around 3.5 kilos start looking on your left. It is very easy to miss coming from this direction because the restaurant sign is small and partially obscured by tree branches. However, it is on a corner lot with a large walled-in parking area (another reason its easy to pass by). At about 3.5 kilos, there will be a slight curve in the road to the right...that is where Rung Thip is located.

If you miss it don't worry, as you can only go about another kilo before Nernplubwan dead ends at Wat Satuwas. Just turn around and go back about 1 kilo...Rung Thip is actually much easier to spot when coming from this direction.

I am sure you won't be disappointed. All Thai food is recommended. For Farang, I can recommend the pork cordon bleu, Hungarian Stew, and even the spaghetti with meat sauce is pretty good.

Thanks a lot, Jonnie - I'll give it a try. :o

Oh dear, sorry you find it tiresome. You a yank by any chance?

Yes. So what? Your comment had nothing to do with the quality of food and were superflous to your other comments, which by the way were informative.

The "typical Yank" comment was off the mark.

There are some sensitive souls over on the dark side. As a relative newbie to the dark side I guess I need to watch what I say. People on the light side appear much more relaxed about these things. :o

As to directions, besides the u-turn method you mention, another route that I find very convenient when returning from the main Pattaya area (either coming directly up Central or coming from South [up Sukhumvit]) is to make a RIGHT turn at the top of Central onto Sukhumvit. Then merge immediately to the left-hand lane and make a left at the soi just after the bus station (a 7-11 is there too) and this goes to a T-junction at the new RR track road. Make a left there and continue on to Nernplubwan. Then make a left or right depending on where you are going (mostly right).

It sounds complicated but it is really isn't and is much shorter (uses less gas :o and faster than the u-turn route.

Yes, I also use that route MOST often when I am going to go down Nernplubwarn (which I do only when absolutely necessary!), or Siam CC, in which case I go across Nernplubwarn on that RR track road. But that can be a tough "first time" course for folks who don't come here often. By the way, the Soi number for the left turn off of Sukhumvit is 57. You have to be careful not to turn too early, into Soi 55, which does NOT go through to the RR road! Also, there are often tour buses parked along that side, and that can be a problem for a "newbie" taking that route.

My personal preference is actually to go further, after that right turn onto Sukhumvit, and turn left at the NEXT 7-11, onto Kao Noi. But there are a couple more turns to make, and that's a little tricky, if you don't know the area (or don't want to read a good map!). I use this route because it has the least traffic, and, most importantly, the least MOTORBIKES!

As always, opinions vary. I much prefer the spaghetti with seafood sauce (shrimp and squid), since it has more tomato sauce in it.

In addition, I strongly recommend the grilled sea bass, from the WESTERN portion of the menu. I instruct them to bring it without sauce, and only fresh lime to squeeze on, as the sauce is a typical Thai cream sauce, which I don't care for. (Seabass is also listed in the Thai menu, but that is the deep fried style. It too, is excellent, if you like that Thai style).

Next, I add the pork steak with pepper sauce. I very nice piece of lean pork, which is, as are most dishes, cooked very well.

As for Thai, IMO, Rungthip makes the BEST larb gai (ground chicken salad) in all of Pattaya!

But, it's really safe to say that you can pretty much order anything on the menu that is a favorite dish of yours, and they will prepare it well. And you will also be pleased with the service from Ta and Rin, the two sisters who have been working there for years. They always show that they actually enjoy their job.

I use this route because it has the least traffic, and, most importantly, the least MOTORBIKES!

Why not just pull out your trusty phaser and vaporize the little varmints :o

How many times I have wished for one. Or, perhaps, some of those whirling knives attached to my wheels, like on the chariots in Ben Hur! A version of the "special options" on any of James Bond's cars would also come in handy. :D

This morning, as I planned last night, I drove over to Chonlada for breakfast. I tried a new option; the French toast. It was excellent!

They serve six slices of French toast, with some lettuce, tomatoes, and onion on the side. Coffee and OJ come with it. That's the standard serving, and it comes at a price of 108 baht! I ordered a side order of bacon, and had a second cup of coffee. The whole thing came to 170 baht.

Yet another PLUS for Chonlada. (I doubt that I'll be trying the French toast at Crossroads after this experience. No reason to take the chance.)

Pook also told me that she does have pancake mix, but is nervous about trying to serve them, because her cook has no experience at all in making them. I told her that I'll order them some morning, and she won't have to worry about "chasing away a customer." I'll just suggest any improvements that I think are necessary.

This morning, as I planned last night, I drove over to Chonlada for breakfast. I tried a new option; the French toast. It was excellent!

They serve six slices of French toast, with some lettuce, tomatoes, and onion on the side.

Pook also told me that she does have pancake mix, but is nervous about trying to serve them, because her cook has no experience at all in making them.

Humm...your good reports on Chonlada will get me to drive down there soon. It's just that my natural inclination to laziness militates against my driving all the way down there when I am only steps away from Dao, Rung's, Chester's and a short drive to Rung's :D But some good French Toast would do it! Just please tell them that though there is bread involved, it is NOT a sandwich or a lunch item and that it is NOT served with lettuce, tomatoes, and onions on the side. :o However, a nice dusting with powdered sugar is a nice touch.

As to pancakes...the directions are right on the box. Can't really go wrong with them.

Edited by jonniebkk

Humm...your good reports on Chonlada will get me to drive down there soon. It's just that my natural inclination to laziness militates against my driving all the way down there when I am only steps away from Dao, Rung's, Chester's and a short drive to Rung's :D But some good French Toast would do it! Just please tell them that though there is bread involved, it is NOT a sandwich or a lunch item and that it is NOT served with lettuce, tomatoes, and onions on the side. :o However, a nice dusting with powdered sugar is a nice touch.

As to pancakes...the directions are right on the box. Can't really go wrong with them.

We're exactly reversed on that breakfast vs drive situation, John. I'm 2.5 kms from Chonlada, with very little traffic enroute. Chester's, Dao, and Rung's are all at least 4 kms up the dreaded Nernplubwarn for me. In fact, I prefer to drive the extra km or so to go off of NPW on Soi 24, up Kao Noi to the RR road, and back on it to NPW. Just a few yards to the Rung's/Chester soi from there. :D Those are still my top choices for burgers (Rung's) and Fish & Chips (Chester's), and well worth a lunchtime trip for those. I'm still trying to convince my wife to try Dao with me (umm, the Cafe, NOT the bar!), because I'm anxious to try something else, now that I've enjoyed that chicken with mushroom sauce there.

What's wrong with lettuce, tomatoes, and onions on the side? They're served with many breakfast dishes in the USA. However, I was a bit disappointed that there was no powdered sugar on the French toast. I didn't mention it to Pook, because it tasted just fine without it. She does serve maple syrup and butter with it, of course.

OOPS! I forgot to mention that you are dead wrong about that comment. First of all, if you don't mix them properly, you can get lumpy pancakes, with chunks of batter in them. YUCK! Then, if you don't have the griddle/pan hot enough when you pour the batter, they won't seal fast enough, and you're likely to burn them before you can turn them.

Cooking pancakes to a firm, golden brown on both sides, and thoroughly cooked inside, is not that easy.

As always, opinions vary. I much prefer the spaghetti with seafood sauce (shrimp and squid), since it has more tomato sauce in it.

In addition, I strongly recommend the grilled sea bass, from the WESTERN portion of the menu. I instruct them to bring it without sauce, and only fresh lime to squeeze on, as the sauce is a typical Thai cream sauce, which I don't care for.

My listing for the farang food was not meant to be exclusive...it was a list of only the dishes I have tried so far...and I have liked everyone of them. I am still working my way down the menu...next maybe your recommendation for the pork pepper steak.

Edited by jonniebkk

What's wrong with lettuce, tomatoes, and onions on the side? They're served with many breakfast dishes in the USA. However, I was a bit disappointed that there was no powdered sugar on the French toast.

I don't recall ever getting that little lettuce/tomato/onion set-up with breakfasts (or any meal really) until I moved to Thailand. Here, it seems to come with any Thai/Farang order, usually with cucumbers too. Sorta like a garnish decorative thing. Maybe like me, you have been in Thailand so long that you are forgetting which cultural artifact go with which country :o I don't mind it but wouldn't eat it with French toast so it is a waste for me. The sweetness of French toast (with syrup) would not go well with vegetables to me. Maybe with meat and egg breakfast it would be fine.

As to the pancakes, you are right about the careful mixing and griddle prep needed to make good ones...but I was primarily refering to the basic mixing and cooking instructions.

However, I think you have found your calling in Thailand..."Khun George - Farang Cooking Restaurant Consultant" :D

OOPS! I forgot to mention that you are dead wrong about that comment. First of all, if you don't mix them properly, you can get lumpy pancakes, with chunks of batter in them. YUCK! Then, if you don't have the griddle/pan hot enough when you pour the batter, they won't seal fast enough, and you're likely to burn them before you can turn them.

Cooking pancakes to a firm, golden brown on both sides, and thoroughly cooked inside, is not that easy.

What's the deal with pancake mix anyways? The easiest part is mixing the dough...frying it is a different story, agree here that the right heat is paramount to the success! And the use of butter. No oil, and for absolutely 100% sure no margarine! And especially not that cheapo margarine in the yello bucket that they use all over Thailand...

However, I think you have found your calling in Thailand..."Khun George - Farang Cooking Restaurant Consultant" :o

Significant correction required on that title, John. Make it "American Cooking Restaurant Consultant." I don't have the foggiest idea how to prepare most "unique" European dishes. :D

What's the deal with pancake mix anyways? The easiest part is mixing the dough..

I'm no expert but I do know that you have to start with a decent brand of mix (if not making from scratch) and make sure it is not out of date. Then I think you are supposed to sift the pancake flour into your mixing bowl. Next add the wet ingredients (along with some melted butter for a nice extra fattening touch) and then GENTLY mix the batter. You DO NOT want to over mix as this will introduce lots of air into the batter, which is something you don't want.

That, at least, is what I recall about making pancakes.

I still don't get it with the "mix". The only dry ingredient is wheat flour and maybe some salt. Mix it with the milk and eggs and the basic dough is finished. Yes, don'[t beat it too hard, I always use a fork, never a mixer or even worse a blender.

I still don't get it with the "mix". The only dry ingredient is wheat flour and maybe some salt. Mix it with the milk and eggs and the basic dough is finished. Yes, don'[t beat it too hard, I always use a fork, never a mixer or even worse a blender.

Sounds good to me...when's the pancake brunch at your place :o

Edited by jonniebkk

Sounds good to me...when's the pancake brunch at your place :o

Actually, raro, there's a bit of baking soda required also. Here's a basic recipe:

Serve these pancakes with butter and syrup.

INGREDIENTS:

• 2 cups all-purpose flour, stirred or sifted before measuring
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 egg, slightly beaten
  • 1 1/2 cups milk
  • 2 tablespoons melted butter

PREPARATION:

Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. In a separate bowl, combine egg and milk; add to flour mixture, stirring only until smooth. Blend in melted butter. Cook on a hot, greased griddle, using about 1/4 cup of batter for each pancake. Cook until brown on one side and around edge; turn and brown the other side. Recipe for pancakes serves 4.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But, in the "no time to make it from scratch" USA, nearly everyone these days uses a mix, and only milk, or, in some cases only water need be added. But the mixing, while definitely not rocket science, is still critical to a good result. Like most things in cooking, it doesn't require great physical or mental skill. But it DOES require attention to detail. Let's just say that it's more challenging to make a good pancake than it is to fry an egg - and a lousy cook can screw that up!

intersting! Before posting I checked all pancake recepies I could find just to make sure...none of them mentioned baking powder. Now - and just as a matter of fast and not attempting to rub even more salt into your bleeding yank wounds :D - I use almost always recepies from European sources, unless I venture into something typical American such as Cajun food.

This is just because I try to cook as original as possible with fresh ingredients only (except for canned tomatoes, there are otherwise no tomatoes of the required quality available in Thailand) and pancakes were made in Europe before America has been discovered and baking powder was invented.

I can rant for hours on this subject...... :o

intersting! Before posting I checked all pancake recepies I could find just to make sure...none of them mentioned baking powder. Now - and just as a matter of fast and not attempting to rub even more salt into your bleeding yank wounds :D - I use almost always recepies from European sources, unless I venture into something typical American such as Cajun food.

This is just because I try to cook as original as possible with fresh ingredients only (except for canned tomatoes, there are otherwise no tomatoes of the required quality available in Thailand) and pancakes were made in Europe before America has been discovered and baking powder was invented.

Let me say this one more time, raro. There is no "right and wrong", and no "superior vs. inferior" with regard to recipes for food. It is a matter of individual, and, in many cases, cultural taste. You like European recipes? Fine. Enjoy. I like American recipes. There is neither need nor justification for a display of arrogance about it.

Let me say this one more time, raro. There is no "right and wrong", and no "superior vs. inferior" with regard to recipes for food. It is a matter of individual, and, in many cases, cultural taste. You like European recipes? Fine. Enjoy. I like American recipes. There is neither need nor justification for a display of arrogance about it.

The word "yank" is mentioned and those sensitive souls are out again. Becareful raro.

I live on Nernplubwan so am most familiar with that street. Have lived in East Pattaya for over 3 years so know many good places over on this side...in fact, there often times when I go for days without going to the "other side" until I run out of some viddles and have to drop-in at Foodland or Villa. So here is my list:

On Nernplubwan itself, just next to the Esso gas station is La Var Coffee Cafe...great hot and cold coffee/espresso drinks and Italian sodas. Very friendly staff and free water and cookies with most orders. Also, free daily Bangkok Post, Thai papers (for the misses) and wifi and desktop station internet service. It is about 4 kilos up from Sukkie and is easy to miss as it small and between Esso and the 7-11. Another super coffee shop cum bakery/ice cream shop is the Sweet Pinto Cafe and Bakery. It's located just a little ways up from Lucky Time bar across from the Muslim school on the right had side of the street. This place has good espresso drinks and is also a bakery and ice cream parlor. There is a large selection of homemade cakes (whole or slices) as well as ice cream (Nestle) scoops and sundaes. They also do shaved-ice concoctions (snow cones). They also do custom cake orders for birthdays, weddings, etc. This is a great place to take the kids.

Just up from La Var (going away from Sukkie) on the left is Happy Holiday restaurant. Great Thai dishes (best pad sieuew noodles I have found in Patters) and very cheap. Continuing down Nernplubwan to soi 24, if you make a right and go up about a kilo or so, on the right had side is a nice steakhouse. I don't remember the name but it has decent steaks and Thai food. Indoor and garden seating. If you were to continue down Nernplubwan a little farther, on the left will be Ruam Tip Restaurant. This place in another place for great Thai and farang dishes. Prices are very reasonable and portions are large. I eat here at least 3-4x per week (the rest at Happy Holiday). Also, forgot to mention, right before the Esso station is the sign for Dao Cafe. Turn right and go down about a kilometer and there it is. The Thai and farang good is decent. Selection of Euro sausages and meat dishes with a French touch. Also Pizzas after 6 p.m.

Now, this next group of restaurants is a little harder to find if you are not too familiar with the area around the temple at the foot of Nernplubwan...but they are worth searching out. Basically you want to find the road/way to either Little Hill Resort or the Swiss Paradise housing estate. Go doen soi Nernplubwan to Mapilla soi 28 and make a right (also known as Pattanakarn Road). Go a few hundred meters across a bridge and take the first road to the left. Continue along the road until you come to a fork in the road (an abanded Tieno restaurant is at this junction) and keep to your right. Along the next few hundred meters of this road are 3 good farang restos...The new Tieno Italian restaurant, Little Hill Resort's restaurants, and Swiss Paradise restaurant.

Tieno is set in a very nice garden setting. I have been a couple times now and the pastas are good. Have not tried any of the meat dishes. The pizzas are pretty good if you like very very thin crust. There is an open show kitchen for the kids to watch the cooking. There is no indoor seating here so dress for appropriately and take some Off with you. Little Hill restaurant is continental Euro food and is nice...it is located in the resort itself and you have to drive in past the security gate. Swiss Paradise restaurant is as the name implies Swiss/Continental food. Vary nice indoor and outdoor veranda seating overlooking the mooban's pool area. They do a very nice Swiss/Thai buffet on Saturday nites during high season. Prices at these three restos are a little higher than the other places mentioned on Nernplubwan...one could eat very well, however, for B 300-400 per person.

Another nice nice find is a little coffee cafe/sandwich shop out near the Horse Shoe Point Resort. Basically, go down Siam Country Club to Maprachan lake and take the right turn at the sign to the Horse Shoe Point Resort. Drive about 3-4 kilos and on your left you will see an expensive looking moobaan with a small coffee shop out front. I forget the names at the moment. This place does very nice sandwiches and has some cakes and pies too. Also, bread loafs, sandwich rolls, and other bakery goods are sold for takeaway. There is aircon indoor and patio seating and free newspapers for reading.

Lucky Time Bar is great for drinks, decent Thai food, and free pool and darts. I ate once at Red Lion and it was crap.

Well, with a list like this (and more opening all the time) it's easy to see why one can go many a day without having to go into Patters itself to find a good meal.

Johnie thanks for your detailed report on where to eat in the dark side, if you ever get a chance to mark the places out on a google map that would be really cool. I have printed off your report and put it in the car so that i can refer to it when im looking..

thanks

Johnie thanks for your detailed report on where to eat in the dark side, if you ever get a chance to mark the places out on a google map that would be really cool. I have printed off your report and put it in the car so that i can refer to it when im looking..

thanks

Thanks for the kind words...I am glad you found it useful.

Since my op - thanks to the contributions of others on the thread, there are 3 places I didn't know about that have also received unqualified "good" ratings from fellow Farsiders. These are Rung's, Chesters, Mennikin Piss, and Chonlada's. If you have not done already, check out the thread for reviews and directions to these places too. :o

PS: How does one "mark" a Google map?

Edited by jonniebkk

[since my op - thanks to the contributions of others on the thread, there are 3 places I didn't know about that have also received unqualified "good" ratings from fellow Farsiders. These are Rung's, Chesters, Mennikin Piss, and Chonlada's. If you have not done already, check out the thread for reviews and directions to these places too. :o

PS: How does one "mark" a Google map?

Look back to post #261 - where 'jimmyd' has posted such a map.

Maybe he would be good enough to initiate all us less computer-savvy TVers into the mystic science.