Expatriates Continue To Rank Singapore As The Top Place To Live In Asia

ThaiLife

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Singapore Dominates Asia Region as Best Place to Live , Expatriates continue to rank Singapore as the top place to live in Asia

any one been there , done that and can comment ...?

http://www.voanews.com/english/2008-03-10-voa10.cfm

TL

Only been for a few days at a time rather than having lived there.. For a holiday, it's good for a few days, but will get dull quickly. Would be a good place to live and work for a few years though.

Clean and modern and generally well run. English widely spoken.

Their natural hinterland is another country, so not many poor people/social problems.

Couldn't pay me to live there ... hate the scum !

I'm sure they'll miss you too. :o

Only ever spent a few days in Singapore at a time. Always enjoyed the country for a visit, not sure how living there long term would work out though.

Edited by burman

Why it’s the best place to live in the world! – a first world country in a tropical environment with all the charm of Asia. It’s great for food, fantastic for work, English is the main language (although many others are used) and it is so multi-cultural that I never feel like a foreigner (very different to being Khun Farang in LOS).

But best of all, people look happy here. I walk around Phuket and the locals look so miserable but in Singers people normally have smiles on their faces.

Even I thought about doing a stint there and still might. There are some underlying issues though with the rampant property prices and rents going through the roof being high on the current agenda.

I've been ther on business years ago and a few times for the odd few days in the last couple of years and I find it a mix of London, Tokyo, perhaps Hong Kong with just a little bit of bangkok dust thrown in for good measure. I guess if I do go there for a while that my opinions will change.

Oh, and most places only sell that bloody horrible Tiger beer !

Oh and they've got some daft rules as well like why will most taxis not let you in when they are empty and they are stuuck at a red light ? Probably some jaywalking rubbish but I reckon I'd fall foul of a few of their more restrictive laws given time.

Some places can be expensive though and I'm not sure with my limited knowledge just how much you really need to earn to have a good time and make it financially worthwhile say compared to London or Tokyo which I know far better.

Don't know what the locals are like or their attitudes to foreigners.

I'd still give it a whirl though but would be far more aprehensive with a family in tow.

Even I thought about doing a stint there and still might. There are some underlying issues though with the rampant property prices and rents going through the roof being high on the current agenda.

I've been ther on business years ago and a few times for the odd few days in the last couple of years and I find it a mix of London, Tokyo, perhaps Hong Kong with just a little bit of bangkok dust thrown in for good measure. I guess if I do go there for a while that my opinions will change.

Oh, and most places only sell that bloody horrible Tiger beer !

If you like a sterilized environment then Singapore is the place to be. I occasionally work out of there and go there every year for my non-immigrant O visa..It's Ok in short and sweet doses. The food is fantastic (but expensive). The people are becoming friendlier in my opinion, probably due to the crash in the late 90's. They have become more ''down to earth", and smile more often than before. It's got one of the worlds best zoo's as well. The shopping malls have to be seen to believed (although not cheap by Asian standards). Accommodation is very expensive for what you get. The transport system there is first class and relatively cheap.

Like i said it's Ok for a short time holiday or visa run, but i couldn't live there. (Unless some major company wanted to pay me a silly salary with housing, school for the kids etc...)

Edited by Austhaied

I look at it in a slightly different way. In my former line of work (investment banking), there are few cities in which I can work and even fewer in which I would live. Singapore ranks as a contender on the possible list. The others are Tokyo, Hong Kong and potentially London or Frankfurt. So not a lot of options really.

The location would give me easy access to Thailand and provide me with a tropical climate that I need and love. Sure there are downsides and there will be many that I cannot experience unless I relocate there but I suspect that the overall balance is more positive than some of my other options.

After Tokyo and Hong Kong I feel the malls in Singapore are somewhat lacking rather than being expansive. I didn't find food eating out that expensive in the main but it was if you go to the wharf and the upmarket tourist places. Then again, so are all major cities.

You are right though that you couldn't live there on anything less than a decent salary, whatever that might be in your case.

Friends who have been there tell stories of a place called "Four Floors of W_____". They seemed quite impressed. Other than that, it looks good enough on Google Earth.

Orchard Towers...Now that brings back memories.

It was (and still is in a way) part of our initiation into my industry to go there and blow most of your first wage. Pretty good fun back then though. I wouldn't waste my time (or money) there now though.

No regrets either..Fun memories..

I had never seen so many Thai girls in one place like that before.. :o

The Philipinas were great fun too.. :D

Why it’s the best place to live in the world! – a first world country in a tropical environment with all the charm of Asia. It’s great for food, fantastic for work, English is the main language (although many others are used) and it is so multi-cultural that I never feel like a foreigner (very different to being Khun Farang in LOS).

But best of all, people look happy here. I walk around Phuket and the locals look so miserable but in Singers people normally have smiles on their faces.

Hear hear.

Singapore is a fantastic place to live.

Friends who have been there tell stories of a place called "Four Floors of W_____". They seemed quite impressed. Other than that, it looks good enough on Google Earth.

Orchard Towers :D

Nothing special, full of Thai 'castoffs'

4K a pop minimum (or so I have been told) :o

Singapore is a great place to visit though. For a couple of days.

If you like horse racing, they have a great course up at Kranji. Great evening out :D

Edited by JacknDanny

------------------

Why? :o

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_rights_in_Singapore

For a start I don't like Chinese, who constitute 75% of the population. The Thai-Chinese I can stand because they have been well house-trained by their hosts. But the rest are just plain rude, hard, narrow-minded, dirty, and have disgusting personal habits. Do you really want to live in a country where they have to put up signs everywhere saying 'No Spitting'?

It is by far the most expensive country in S.E. Asia, and it is certainly not good value. The food is nothing special, it's over-cooked and high in unhealthy refined carbohydrates; give me som-tam or sashimi any day.

Remember Nick Leeson? The prison food gave him cancer and they sent him back to sleep on a concrete floor 2 weeks after removing a third of his colon. His stomach staples then split open. Oh, and he was one of the lucky ones to actually be granted a trial rather than a 15-year stretch for unspecified misdemeanors.

Even Singaporeans dream of getting out and migrating somewhere civilised ... like Australia.

Singapore, wonderful. The only down side is the price of accomodation. I've been their about 25 times, and would be my choice to retire to. As said, the people are very friendly. It's relatively clean, very safe. And yes, you can find 4 floors of w###es, filled with Thai castoffs, Cambodians, Vietnamise, Phillipinas etc. All of the ethnic races in Singapore appear to be in harmony with each other. Singapore is not just a city, there is plenty of countryside, and lovely beaches. And JB is just accross the causeway.

For a start I don't like Chinese, who constitute 75% of the population. The Thai-Chinese I can stand because they have been well house-trained by their hosts.

That's like saying that Native Americans and Oz aborignees have their masters trained.

:o

It depends on what type of expats are being surveyed, I guess. I like Singapore ok, but not enough to live there. I like the low tax rates and the food, but I was offered a job there last year (more money than I'm on now) and it included a S$6000 a month tax free accomodation allowance - that's around thb 140,000 and the apartments I was being shown in that price range were pretty dull and certainly not good enough for me to make the switch. The price of an evening out is prohibitive too.

Nahhhhhh . i like it here more. I'm gonna stay around a while.

------------------

For a start I don't like Chinese, who constitute 75% of the population. The Thai-Chinese I can stand because they have been well house-trained by their hosts. But the rest are just plain rude, hard, narrow-minded, dirty, and have disgusting personal habits. Do you really want to live in a country where they have to put up signs everywhere saying 'No Spitting'?

It is by far the most expensive country in S.E. Asia, and it is certainly not good value. The food is nothing special, it's over-cooked and high in unhealthy refined carbohydrates; give me som-tam or sashimi any day.

Remember Nick Leeson? The prison food gave him cancer and they sent him back to sleep on a concrete floor 2 weeks after removing a third of his colon. His stomach staples then split open. Oh, and he was one of the lucky ones to actually be granted a trial rather than a 15-year stretch for unspecified misdemeanors.

Even Singaporeans dream of getting out and migrating somewhere civilised ... like Australia.

-------------

The wikepedia site was very interesting. Guess based on that alone I see your point... :D

Yeah, but it is boring compared to Thailand, and even with the loosening up from the repressive government there, it lacks that certain Thai sanuk.

If they are surveying expat businessmen who get all the trappins associated with overseas posting, it is by far the easiset place to move to and get your life up and running.

Everything works very efficiently. Living there, would get a little sterile after Bangkok and Hong Kong, but if you have the cash, a brilliant place to do business and live.

------------------

I think the no spitting signs are to cater for mainland tourists who are visiting in ever greater numbers. Mainlanders have the most disgusting habits I have ever seen. Was it one of Mao's famous sayings, that started the spitting phenomenon?

All this tells me is that those ex-pats who are so bored that they are willing to answer questions in a survey prefer to live in Singapore. Maybe the ex-pats who prefer Thailand are too busy having a good time to fill in questionnaires?

All this tells me is that those ex-pats who are so bored that they are willing to answer questions in a survey prefer to live in Singapore. Maybe the ex-pats who prefer Thailand are too busy having a good time to fill in questionnaires?

Absolutely love it here in Thailand. There is a possibility I may have to move to Singapore in the next few months for work. The other choice was Shanghai.

Singapore wins hands down on that one.