Mitsu Triton 3.2 Gls A/t Vs Ford Ranger Wildtrak 3.0 A/t

matter

I have narrowed the choice down to either of the above. Can anyone with any experience of the Triton or the Ranger give any advice please?

I will use the truck mainly around Bangkok and for motorway trips between Bangkok and Pattaya. It will be a daily driver and so I am looking for a bit of comfort with the extra load carrying capability a pickup provides.

I will also be using it for towing at a later date.

Having looked at the Ranger today i was impressed with body style and sturdiness, however the interior seemed a little flimsy and the CD/Radio install was not up to much. I will be off to check out the Triton at the weekend.

Any comments/advice appreciated.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have narrowed the choice down to either of the above. Can anyone with any experience of the Triton or the Ranger give any advice please?

I will use the truck mainly around Bangkok and for motorway trips between Bangkok and Pattaya. It will be a daily driver and so I am looking for a bit of comfort with the extra load carrying capability a pickup provides.

I will also be using it for towing at a later date.

Having looked at the Ranger today i was impressed with body style and sturdiness, however the interior seemed a little flimsy and the CD/Radio install was not up to much. I will be off to check out the Triton at the weekend.

Any comments/advice appreciated.

if i were you, i'd choose ford ranger wildtrak.

I have had my old Ford Ranger since December 2001 and it has about 170,... km on it and I would go for the wildtrak out of the two because I like the Ford and I personally think that the Mitsubishi is about the ugliest pickup around, but that is me.

I think the Mitsubishi is a good vehicle. I HAVE tried to get used to the looks of it but have not been successful. It is simply too ugly for me to even consider. That said the Ford is also a good vehicle and is second only to Isuzu for fuel economy. The open cab feature is also a plus.

I have had my old Ford Ranger since December 2001 and it has about 170,... km on it and I would go for the wildtrak out of the two because I like the Ford and I personally think that the Mitsubishi is about the ugliest pickup around, but that is me.

Totally agree :o

Totally agree :D

Both ugly in my eyes. Toyota all the way. Tops for looks, reliability and resale value.

Just my humble opinion.

:o

haha i think the Triton Plus/4x4 models look great, followed by if not beaten by chev colorado (i personally really like that beefy look).

as for the vigo....i dunno i reminds me of a the taxi cars vios, or corrola or what ever it is they usually drive. the face of the vigo looks the same....just a shit load bigger and higher haha. no doubt it is a good performer though.

We've been looking for a silmilar pick-up recently and had narrowed it down to the Ford and the Isuzu on paper - can't remember now why we had already dismissed the Triton. Went to test-drive both, assuming that there'd be very little difference between them and was pretty shocked at how unalike they were.

The Ford felt tinny (ie when you slammed the doors shut), the panel-fit wasn't good, the interior seemed to come from a bygone age, and it took 8 turns of the stater before the engine fired. I know it was 8 because after hearing the engine struggle to come to life the first time I switched the ignition off and did it again so I could count! The demo truck only had 3000km on the clock... The salesman, noting my obvious surprise, told me it was because the truck had been left outside on the lot in the heat. Hmm...

The Isuzu one the other hand just felt more solid (yes I know it's subjective, but so much of buying a car comes down to personal gut feeling), the interior, whilst not putting Lexus to shame, felt much more modern, the panel-fit was noticeably tighter, and it fired up as you'd expect.

In the Ford's defense though, on the road there was very little between them that I could discern. Obviously the road-test with either wasn't exactly comprehensive.

Anyway, no surprise that we went for the Isuzu (Cab4 SLX 3.0 Hi-Lander VGS A/T)...gets delivered on Thursday.

Totally agree :D

Both ugly in my eyes. Toyota all the way. Tops for looks, reliability and resale value.

Just my humble opinion.

:o

Toyota Vigo, worst in fuel economy as well as being prone to roll over. No thanks.

Triton 3.2GLS Limited. It's a superior vehicle. The accolades it has received should speak for themselves. Some people say it's ugly, but it's all a matter of personal choice when it comes to looks. You'll be sitting IN your car whilst stuck in traffic, not looking AT it, and IMO the Triton's interior is again superior to it's competitors. Add the recent safety news and I think it's a no-contest. But horses for courses, if everybody chose the same thing oh what a boring world we would it would be :o

So matter, what did you finally decide on?

I bought my Triton 15 months ago and have never regretted it, I recently added the new softop with electric opening and I find its great when travelling down to samasan as I can get all the dive gear in the back under cover and sit 4 passengers in the double cab. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder as they say, some people love it others hate it.

I have put a deposit on the Triton after seeing the interior build quality and style compared to the Ranger. It was still a close call, given the dependability of the Ford and some horror stories from Australia regarding an unfixed fuel surge problem in the Triton over there. But in the end the fact that the Triton has a modern chassis desgin, modern interior and it fared reasonably well in safety tests, well these were the deciding points.

Thanks for the input!

I think you made the smart choice, especially if you chose the top model. Make sure you can get all the options you can, i especially recommend the Carryboy electric bed lid, it makes the truck look much smarter (I rarely (read never) use the bed of the truck anyway), and I'm sure helps in aerodynamic efficiency.

And you'll love the sliding rear window, especially if you have dark tint and are backing up... it comes in handy much more than you'd think it would :o

What color did you choose, I saw a white one with 20" wheels about a week ago while driving and it looked nice without being overly chavvy as the brits would say.

What about this Beauty ...

Dodge Ram SRT-10

8.3-liter Viper V-10 engine

500 bhp

525 lb/ft Torque

6-Speed Manual Transmission

Top Speed-154mph.

There's also a Four door version.( Four-speed automatic transmission )

post-37178-1205940646_thumb.jpg

post-37178-1205940688_thumb.jpg

post-37178-1205940721_thumb.jpg

post-37178-1205940762_thumb.jpg

yup hel_l yea give me a dodge ram srt 10 and i would fly!!! :o

dodge viper v10 engine imagen the grunt on that beast.

if that aint powerful enough in dubia they have a 750whp supercharge/ turbocharged upgrade unit....

thats what i call fun!!! haha, oh and if u do own it, can i have a test drive :D

How big is the fuel tank and how many litres per kilometre does it do?

That's one of those vehicles where the speedometer races upwards and the gas gauge races downward. A friend of mine had a V-10 Ford dually and claimed to get 12 MPG.

Went for the top model. Full option, carryboy lid bumper etc, tinted windows.

Now... shall I upgrade the coilovers and the wheels.. thinking 22" with some Tein EDFC coilovers!

I think you made the smart choice, especially if you chose the top model. Make sure you can get all the options you can, i especially recommend the Carryboy electric bed lid, it makes the truck look much smarter (I rarely (read never) use the bed of the truck anyway), and I'm sure helps in aerodynamic efficiency.

And you'll love the sliding rear window, especially if you have dark tint and are backing up... it comes in handy much more than you'd think it would :o

What color did you choose, I saw a white one with 20" wheels about a week ago while driving and it looked nice without being overly chavvy as the brits would say.

The other day I had to get into the back seat of a 4 door Izuzu, the back seats were not in line with the doors, i.e. too far forward and a very noticeable twisting of the body was necessary to locate in the seat, I have only a Mitsu Triton 2.5 but getting in to the back seat is the same as getting into a car, the ergonomics of the cab of the Triton being I understand one of its strong points.

It seems to me if you are buying a truck but using it mainly as a car, this point should merit serious consideration. :o

Edited by spacebass