American Diner In Pattaya

Stormrider

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right you are Humphrey Bear - I'm sure it will not be a simple thing to get it going, maybe even some pain involved, but that's okay because I've been working in hel_l's Kitchen aka Afghanistan and Iraq (currently) for going on 5 years!

Lovely places. I have friends in both - but usually confined to the bases - not punishment, just civilian contractors on maintenance work.

Thanks Ulysses - Sounds like rib shacks aren't the way to go. My place will be good food prepared simply, southern style.

Now here's an idea. Rent a hall/venue for the day and cook up a storm. Invite say 50 or so Thai Visa members for an all you can eat sample lunch at 150bht a head. Nothing fancy just laid out on tables smorgasbord style. Would cover costs and they can post back here on the quality and if its thumbs up go ahead and do it !

A real American Diner would be really nice. Especially if you can get more than just freaking sandwiches.

I want huge fat blueberry pancakes with butter, and I want loads of Spam and Eggs drowning in cheese... :o

If you open one, count me as a frequent costumer!

And only yesterday he was going to attend four years of full time university study here in Thailand. And a few hours earlier it was study of Thai Language.

And in one post he mentioned he gonna be in the guiness book of world records.I reckon he will but I think for a completely different reason.

And only yesterday he was going to attend four years of full time university study here in Thailand. And a few hours earlier it was study of Thai Language.

And in one post he mentioned he gonna be in the guiness book of world records.I reckon he will but I think for a completely different reason.

He is going for the record of multi tasking although I believe you need to be a woman to qualify for that one :o but then again an easy place for a sex change here and that would add to the list of things to do

All this talk is making me very hungry, and I will come to check it out if it ever gets off the ground.

But please, for us non-Americans: give us a good desciption of an American biscuit. I saw a couple of photos, but I am still confused. Is it meat, or made from flour and stuff? Is it similar to Yorkshire pudding?

A biscuit in the rest of the world is usually a dry, hard, sweet cake-like thing, and the last thing to pour gravy over and have for breakfast. I say, pass the cucumber sanies please dear old chap!

But keep us posted on the resto, sounds like a good way to screw up my reasonable cholesterol values :o

When you return and start your research, check out the Beaver Bar on the Street of Dreams in Ban Chang.

It is owned by an old friend and he is in the American breakfast/lunch/dinner business as well as the bar business. I'm sure he will be happy to tell you his experiences.

You can count me in as a customer if you get it going. I like those hearty American breakfasts but you really need spicey Jimmy Dean style sausages.

All this talk is making me very hungry, and I will come to check it out if it ever gets off the ground.

But please, for us non-Americans: give us a good desciption of an American biscuit. I saw a couple of photos, but I am still confused. Is it meat, or made from flour and stuff? Is it similar to Yorkshire pudding?

A biscuit in the rest of the world is usually a dry, hard, sweet cake-like thing, and the last thing to pour gravy over and have for breakfast. I say, pass the cucumber sanies please dear old chap!

But keep us posted on the resto, sounds like a good way to screw up my reasonable cholesterol values :D

The nearest thing we have in the UK to an American "biscuit" is what we would call a scone and when I moved to California for 3 years I couldn't see the attraction of pouring gravy (Again not gravy as we would imagine it, it was some kind of white sauce) over it :o You could even have them with KFC, so as a Brit if you can imagine Fried Chicken, Mash potato (for some reason I never saw fries in American KFC) with gravy and a scone and you would be just about there and IMHO <deleted> awful.

About the only thing I miss from the American Diner type food was the Olympic omlette at Denny's, I just loved Denny's Hash Browns too if they where cooked right but the rest of the Denny's menu was pretty dire.

My vote for restaurant name is "Yankee Doodle Dandy Restaurant" and be sure to put me on the invitation list for the test market banquet.

Not exactly an appropriate name for a place specializing in American Southern Food. Can’t see how a real southerner would ever walk into a place with such a name…

:o

American by birth, Southern by the grace of God

TH

American buttermilk biscuits are pretty unique, very flaky and light with a sourdough flavor that tastes fantastic hot with just butter and also brings out the sweet taste of honey or strawberry jam if you choose them instead.

By the way, very few Americans eat them with gravy - I don't like them at all that way - that is more for rednecks at truck stops.

I've turned lots of British and European buddies on to them when KFC in Thailand used to have them and they LOVED them! :o

What an interesting and diverse group of people here on this forum.

And okay, okay…I'm cryin' UNCLE on the Guinness thing, but what's so wrong with a guy aspiring to a formal education? Gimme a break already! I meant it at the time I said it! But hey…it could happen.

Holy Guacamole!

Who would've ever dreamed this idea would take off like it has, gaining momentum and taking on a life of its own? Truly impressive.

Well, I can honestly say that from the comments I've seen posted here, the consensus seems to be overwhelmingly in favor of me going forward with this project.

Again, I thank everyone for your encouragement, suggestions, insight, inspiration and brutal honesty for what I feel will be a successful launch of a concept completely unique to Pattaya.

I've been kicking this idea around for quite some time now actually, and have taken numerous impromptu polls from numerous friends and future friends as well, as to what they think of the idea. The polls indicate that I have a solid base of support.

There are actually quite a number of expats from the project I work on here in Iraq who go to Thailand for R&R, and whenever I ask someone for their opinion, it's always pretty much the same …build it and they will come.

Bob4you – you're on the list.

Jimmy Dean sausage with or w/o sage – as good as it gets.

American by Birth, Southern by the Grace of God – an absolute stroke of brilliance.

Any of yall ever ate at a Cracker Barrel?

I'll be sure to try and find some rockin' chairs to put on the front porch so you can have a place to be comfortable on those occasions when there's a line to get in.

Complimentary iced tea while you wait of course. Now that's southern hospitality.

Thanks guys for all these interesting descriptions. The more I hear, the more I want to try some of these foods, especially the biscuits. I have been 3 times to the US, and did enjoy the breakfasts, especially the hash potatoes, the pancakes and the blueberry muffins. Yummi!

And by the way, I am not British either... Have a guess, I have left plenty of trails.

Thanks guys for all these interesting descriptions. The more I hear, the more I want to try some of these foods, especially the biscuits. I have been 3 times to the US, and did enjoy the breakfasts, especially the hash potatoes, the pancakes and the blueberry muffins. Yummi!

And by the way, I am not British either... Have a guess, I have left plenty of trails.

MeaMaximaCulpa - (My most grievous fault)

Scattered, covered and smothered?

Scattered, coverd, smothered and chunked?

How 'ya want 'em?

Please don't style yourself like a "Cracker Barrel". I don't like the store within a restaurant theme. Keep it simple and homey.

What about some t-shirts?

1. American by Birth, Southern by the Grace of God

2. The South Shall Rise Again

3. Forget H.E.L.L.!

Edited by Stormrider

MeaMaximaCulpa - (My most grievous fault)

Scattered, covered and smothered?

Scattered, coverd, smothered and chunked?

How 'ya want 'em?

Please explain, or rather, get going with the cooking, and do less talking.

Please explain, or rather, get going with the cooking, and do less talking.

The hashbrowns - how do you want 'em?

World Famous and the best in town!

HASHBROWNS

REGULAR

Grilled shredded potatoes cooked in a steel ring.

LARGE

Two orders of grilled shredded potatoes cooked in a steel ring.

TRIPLE

Three orders of grilled shredded potatoes cooked in a steel ring.

SCATTERED

Scatted on the grill instead of cooked in a ring.

SMOTHERED

Diced Onions

COVERED

American (or Swiss) Cheese

CHUNKED

Bryan Ham

TOPPED

Bert's Chili

DICED

Diced Tomatoes

PEPPERED Jalapeno Pepper Rings

CAPPED Mushrooms