Convert O Retirement Visa To A Working Visa

This retired American wishes to start teaching again, and this time it would be nice to do it legally (even for a government school). I understand that I cannot get a work permit on an O retirement visa. It would have to be converted to an O or B working visa, right?

I am loathe to run to some nearby second-rate country, or some far-away country, just to get a visa. I am currently on a third or fourth extension to the retirement visa I got in Penang, years ago.

And then, if I got a job with a work permit and a proper visa, would that visa expire when the job ends? Would I then have to leave the country to get a new retirement visa?

Thanks, y'all.

A work permit is not likely to be issued on a retirement extension of stay but it has happened so you can ask first - at the local labor office (there policy seems to vary from place to place). But odds are low.

There are provisions for change of visa but not sure how often they are used currently. That would require you check with Immigration office after job offer.

Suspect you would have to do the normal quick trip to Vientiane for a non immigrant B visa entry after you get the work permit receipt. For visa entry loss of employment is not an issue - but once on extension of stay it would require your exit within 7 days (but you might be able to return to retirement if you have the income/bank up to date without exit but not sure of policy on that). It would not be a big problem in any case as even a border run for a 30 day stamp could be converted into a single entry non immigrant O visa at Immigration and then extended for retirement again.

This retired American wishes to start teaching again, and this time it would be nice to do it legally (even for a government school). I understand that I cannot get a work permit on an O retirement visa. It would have to be converted to an O or B working visa, right?

I am loathe to run to some nearby second-rate country, or some far-away country, just to get a visa. I am currently on a third or fourth extension to the retirement visa I got in Penang, years ago.

And then, if I got a job with a work permit and a proper visa, would that visa expire when the job ends? Would I then have to leave the country to get a new retirement visa?

Thanks, y'all.

A work permit is not likely to be issued on a retirement extension of stay but it has happened so you can ask first - at the local labor office (there policy seems to vary from place to place). But odds are low.

There are provisions for change of visa but not sure how often they are used currently. That would require you check with Immigration office after job offer.

Suspect you would have to do the normal quick trip to Vientiane for a non immigrant B visa entry after you get the work permit receipt. For visa entry loss of employment is not an issue - but once on extension of stay it would require your exit within 7 days (but you might be able to return to retirement if you have the income/bank up to date without exit but not sure of policy on that). It would not be a big problem in any case as even a border run for a 30 day stamp could be converted into a single entry non immigrant O visa at Immigration and then extended for retirement again.

I have just gotten a Call from my Company's Attorney today telling me My Work permit can be picked up Monday and it was issued to me and I have a Retirement Visa. My WP is a renewal not a first time issue but the first issue was also done while I was holding a Retirement Visa Good Luck

Two years ago I changed my retirement visa into a visa that allowed me to work all I showed was the documents from the university and that was it. NO big deal. Then I got the work permit once again no problem

Steve

The head lawyer from the Pattaya branch a prestigious law firm who advertises on this page told me last year that he could get work permits in Chon Buri for people holding retirement visas.

I was very surprised at this, and he admitted that it wasn't strictly 'kosher' but the 'right connections' made it possible.

I have since heard that it is no longer possible - but who knows for sure?

Suggest you make inquiries locally and check out the 'local rules'.

The head lawyer from the Pattaya branch a prestigious law firm who advertises on this page told me last year that he could get work permits in Chon Buri for people holding retirement visas.

I was very surprised at this, and he admitted that it wasn't strictly 'kosher' but the 'right connections' made it possible.

I have since heard that it is no longer possible - but who knows for sure?

Suggest you make inquiries locally and check out the 'local rules'.

I collected my work permit from Chonburi on Friday, but in order to get it I had to forsake my retirement extension of stay which was valid until the end of October and do a run to Vientianne to get a non imm B as Chonburi labour dept would not accept the retirement extension for the work permit.

Apparently the big boss at the Chonburi labour dept is a lady who has not been foreigner friendly since she took over in September last year.

Having said all that a friend of mine has just renewed his work permit at Chonburi on a retirement extension with no problems so I think they impose this ruling on new work permits only.

Edited by racefan

• 4 weeks later...
Two years ago I changed my retirement visa into a visa that allowed me to work all I showed was the documents from the university and that was it. NO big deal. Then I got the work permit once again no problem

Steve

What was the costs to convert an "O" to a "B" for a WP?