Asus Announces Eee Pc 900 With 9-inch Screen

bill1960

just wondering when the Asus 8.9" will be available in Thailand, read a snippet somewhere that Asia would get them before US ?

http://www.brighthand.com/default.asp?newsID=13844

http://blogs.zdnet.com/computers/?p=133

I want one for mobile internet when I go motorcycle touring (hence the preference for SSD)

The old model 7"screen seemed a bit small but the new 8.9" screen with bigger keyboard, better screen resolution, and 12gb of storage will swing it for me if the price is right.

I doubt there is anything else due on the market that competes ?

• 3 weeks later...

Last news are that they are scheduled for an early release in may, but it dosent say when it will be availible for Thailand. It would be great if the forummembers who frequent places like pantip would drop a line if they see it "in the wild". I have seen the prices for the 4gb w/webcam has dropped from 12700 to 9900 at pantip, so they may clear out the old ones before the new one arrives. Tried to ask some at the shops that sell them, but they had no answers.

edit: This one tells of an April release.

Edited by paal349

Don't think grey importers will get a chance, Asus is pretty well represented in Thailand, their products arrive here rather quickly. Can you buy them anywhere else (and I am not talking about pre-orders from that shady ebay seller...)?

I'll be interested to see how much of a premium this costs... that also determines if there is competition. If it's $499 as I read somewhere it will very quickly be an also-ran in the low-cost laptop market. Also it looks like there will be plenty of competition... I think HP has one in this class now (also with 9" screen), and Acer is going to introduce one too. Everyone wants to have a piece of this cake :o

I'll be interested to see how much of a premium this costs... that also determines if there is competition. If it's $499 as I read somewhere it will very quickly be an also-ran in the low-cost laptop market. Also it looks like there will be plenty of competition... I think HP has one in this class now (also with 9" screen), and Acer is going to introduce one too. Everyone wants to have a piece of this cake wink.gif

Depends on the price of the competition!

Currently all the very small notebooks (ultra portables) are expensive (+ 30,000 Baht).

So yep, at 500 US$ it think it'll sell OK to people needing the portability, without wanting to pay a premium.

Currently, the only notebooks you can buy for 500 US are very basic models. And yes, they have more storage. And yes, they have an optical drive. And yes they have a faster CPU.

BUT, they are relatively big and heavy, don't have the advantage of a shock resistance Solid State Drive, and they definitely won't run 3.5 hours on a battery charge!

Remember, they are not competing in the low cost notebook market, they are competing in the ultra portable notebook market!!!

Saw these all over Tuk Com Pattaya today. One shop had them for B12,300. They had 4gig of flash memory. They included the bluetooth and wifi modules, however. I don't think they had any OS, however. The form factor for these things is great...and one with WinXP would be a real winner for maybe B 1000 more.

Does anyone know if the screen brightness and resolution are any good?

@jonnie: You are talking about the old models. Yes you can have them with XP, probably for free, this being Thailand and all.

The models i saw had not HDs...just flash memory. On these old models, where do they load the OS and what OS do they use.

On the new ones with XP, will they use some embedded variant like CE or WinXP mobile?

Erm you put the OS onto the flash drive.. same as it is now..

Can run XP.. Can run modified XP's like XP lite etc.. Could probably roll an XP embedded (XPe) if you felt like it.. Many forms of linux.. Basically its a computer, many OS's will load, not all will support all hardware tho of course)..

As to seeing the new ones now.. Cant believe it.. Only the ones that have been on sale for ages.. This thread sates old style ones for <10k in Pantip.. So that Patts price is way up there !!

first review of the 900

has anyone with bought an aftermarket battery in thailand for the eeepc ? seems to be a little lacking with the original

http://www.trustedreviews.com/notebooks/re...s-Eee-PC-900/p1

Below is a quote from the comments on the eeeuser site

has anyone bought a 7800mAh Battery , and does it last 4 hours ?

The 8G utilise a four-cell 5200mAh battery

The 4G Surf and 2G Surf uses slightly smaller 4400mAh battery.

But, Asus release a new battery, 7800mAh. That would last for about 4 hours.

• 2 weeks later...

Found this on a Thai webshop (http://jib.co.th/ - look a bit down on the page in the "news" section). As I don't read Thai I have no idea what it says, but maybe someone on this forum can help? No need for full translation, but would be nice to know price and release date in Thailand if it says something about that.

นายพรเทพ วัชรอำนวย กรรมการผู้จัดการ บริษัท อัสซุสเทค (คอมพิวเตอร์) ประเทศไทย จำกัด กล่าวว่า จากความสำเร็จของอัสซุส อีพีซี (ASUS Eee PC) ที่มีจำนวนยอดขายที่สูงถึง 1 ล้านเครื่อง ภายในเวลา 5 เดือน หลังจากที่เปิดตัวอัสซุส อีอีอี พีซี 701 เมื่อปลายปี 2550 ดังนั้น อัสซุสจึงขอย้ำการเป็นผู้นำนวัตกรรมด้านคอมพิวเตอร์ด้วย ด้วยการแนะนำน้องใหม่ในตระกูล Eee Family “ASUS Eee PC 900” โดยสะท้อนถึงกระแสความต้องการจากผู้ใช้ ทำให้บริษัทมองถึงอนาคตทางการตลาดในการที่จะสร้างครอบครัว อัสซุส อีอีอี พีซี

กก.ผจก.บริษัท อัสซุสฯ กล่าวถึง ASUS Eee PC 900 ว่า มีเพียบพร้อมทุกคุณสมบัติไม่ว่าจะเป็น หน้าจอกว้างขนาด 8.9 นิ้ว เว็บแคมความละเอียด 1.3 ล้านพิกเซล ยิ่งไปกว่านั้นการใช้ เทคโนโลยีโซลิด สเตท ดิสก์ (SSD) ทำให้เครื่องทำงานได้เต็มประสิทธิภาพ ปราศจากเสียงรบกวน ช่วยประหยัดพลังงาน เพิ่มความเสถียรในการใช้งาน รองรับแรงกระแทกจากการเดินทางได้มากยิ่งขึ้น ด้วยพื้นที่ใช้งานขนาด 12GB สำหรับระบบปฏิบัติการวินโดวส์ และรุ่นความจุ 20GB สำหรับระบบปฏิบัติการลีนุกซ์ ตัวเครื่องสะดวกต่อการพกพาด้วยน้ำหนักรวมไม่ถึง 1 กิโลกรัม ทำให้ “ASUS Eee PC 900” มีความแตกต่างจากคู่แข่งตัวอื่นในท้องตลาด

“เนื่องจากการใช้ฮาร์ดดิสก์ปกติจะมีความเร็วรอบอยู่ที่ 5400 RPM ที่มักจะทำให้ข้อมูลเสียหาย หรือสูญหายหากเกิดการกระแทก ดังนั้น “ASUS Eee PC 900” เป็นคอมพิวเตอร์พกพาที่สมบูรณ์แบบสำหรับการใช้งานนอกสถานที่ เป็นเพื่อนที่ดีในการเดินทางสำหรับทุกเพศและทุกวัย ไม่ว่าจะเป็น ผู้สื่อข่าว นักถ่ายภาพชีวิตสัตว์ป่า หรือผู้ที่ชื่นชอบกิจกรรมกลาง แจ้งเป็นพิเศษ และแน่นอนยังคงอยู่ภายใต้แนวความคิด “Easy to learn, work and play” เช่นเดิม” นายพรเทพ กล่าว

กก.ผจก.บริษัท อัสซุสฯ กล่าวถึงแผนการตลาดว่า จากที่อัสซุสได้แนะนำอีพีซีสู่ตลาดเมืองไทย ขณะนี้ มียอดขายไปแล้วกว่า 20,000 เครื่อง โดยเฉพาะช่วงไตรมาสแรกปี 2551 ขายได้ถึง 12,000 เครื่อง โดยรุ่นที่ขายดีที่สุดเป็นรุ่นที่มีหน่วยความจำ 4GB ถึง 80% ขณะที่รุ่น 8 GB มีอยู่ประมาณ 20%เชื่อว่าจากนี้สินค้ารุ่น 4 GB ยังมีสัดส่วนใหญ่ในตลาดอยู่ ส่วนอีพีซีรุ่นใหม่จะจับกลุ่มผู้ใช้งานพาวเวอร์ยูสเซอร์ โดยอัสซุสตั้งเป้าจำหน่ายอีพีซีทุกรุ่นทั้งปีนี้รวม 70,000 เครื่อง หรือ 10% ของรายได้ทั้งหมด

นายพรเทพ กล่าวด้วยว่า ในไตรมาสที่ 3 และ 4 จะเน้นทำตลาดในสถาบันการศึกษา และโรงเรียนทั่วไปมากขึ้นด้วย ทั้งนี้ ASUS Eee PC 900 ล็อตแรกจะเข้ามาจำหน่าย 300 เครื่อง ส่วนจะเพิ่มยอดสั่งหรือไม่ต้องรอดูการตอบรับจากตลาดก่อน ขณะที่ตลาดที่เป็นผู้บริโภคทั่วไปก็ยังเป็นกลุ่มหลัก โดยอัสซุสเตรียมทำกิจกรรมกับทางแฟนคลับอีพีซี และกิจกรรมส่งเสนิการขายมากขึ้น เพราะปี 2550 ที่ผ่านมา ไม่ได้ทำโฆษณาเลย เติบโตด้วยการอาศัยบอกแบบปากต่อปาก แต่เมื่อปีนี้ มีคู่แข่งเข้ามาทำตลาด ก็เป็นโอกาสดีที่จะมีคนมาช่วยอัสซุสให้ความรู้ตลาด และอัสซุสก็จะทำตลาดเชิงรุกมากขึ้น เพื่อรักษาฐานลูกค้าเอาไว้

รายงานข่าวแจ้งว่า ASUS Eee PC 900 สามารถเลือกระบบปฎิบัติการได้ทั้ง วินโดวส์ และ ลีนุกซ์ ขึ้นอยู่กับความต้องการใช้งานระบบปฎิบัติการไมโครซอฟท์ วินโดวส์ ช่วยเพิ่มสีสันให้กับผู้ใช้ที่มีประสบการณ์การใช้คอมพิวเตอร์ด้วยวินโดวส์อินเทอร์เฟซ ที่คุ้นเคย พร้อมด้วย Windows Live ฟีเจอร์ที่หลากหลาย ไม่ว่าจะเป็น Windows Live Messenger สำหรับการรับส่งข้อความทันที Windows Live Mail สำหรับแสดงผลอีเมล์บนเดสก์ท็อป นอกจากนี้ยังสนับสนุน Microsoft Works ที่มาพร้อมกับโปรแกรมสำหรับการใช้งานออฟฟิศอื่นๆ อีกมากมายเพื่อประสิทธิภาพการทำงานที่ดียิ่งขึ้น

รายงานข่าวแจ้งอีกว่า ขณะที่ระบบปฎิบัติการลีนุกซ์ เหมาะสำหรับผู้ใช้งานที่ชื่นชอบรูปแบบไอคอน และอินเทอร์เฟซแบบชี้และคลิก ซึ่งง่ายต่อการใช้งาน จึงเหมาะสำหรับเด็กๆ และผู้ที่เริ่มใช้งานคอมพิวเตอร์ พบกับ “ASUS Eee PC 900” ได้แล้ววันนี้ ณ ร้านค้าตัวแทนจำหน่ายทั่วไป ด้วยราคาเริ่มต้นเพียง 16,900 บาท (ไม่รวมภาษีมูลค่าเพิ่ม) สำหรับระบบปฎิบัติการไมโครซอฟท์ วินโดวส์ และราคา 17,900 บาท (ไม่รวมภาษีมูลค่าเพิ่ม) สำหรับระบบปฏิบัติการลีนุกซ์

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm, funny, in the Ozzie specs it says that the 20GB storage (linux version) is made up out of a 4GB SSD and a separate 16 GB flash (SD) card.

The American site mentions a real 12 GB SSD.

But then again, the American site mentions a 1.7 GHz Celeron CPU.

Strange.

Hmmm, funny, in the Ozzie specs it says that the 20GB storage (linux version) is made up out of a 4GB SSD and a separate 16 GB flash (SD) card.

The American site mentions a real 12 GB SSD.

But then again, the American site mentions a 1.7 GHz Celeron CPU.

Strange.

According to the Asus global website:

12GB (4GB built-in + 8GB flash) SSD (Microsoft Windows OS Version)

20GB (4GB built-in +16GB flash) SSD (Linux OS Version)

http://www.asus.com/products_compare.aspx

(Apparently the smaller GB flash comes with Windows version to compensate for the cost of the software. So its better to get the Linux version (bigger flash) and install windows yourself if you have the CD.)

They dont specify CPU Ghz

however

There are some big changes inside too, although the CPU isn't one of them. Despite the fact that many of us were hoping that the Eee PC 900 would be sporting Intel's new Atom chip, unfortunately it's not. In fact the basic platform is unchanged from the original model, with a 900MHz Intel Celeron processor residing in a 915GM based motherboard - hardly cutting edge, but more than capable of the job at hand. The first component improvement over the old 701 is the memory complement, with the new 900 sporting 1GB of RAM as standard, as opposed to the 512MB seen previously. The webcam has also been upgraded from a 0.3-megapixel unit to a 1.3-megapixel model - ideal for anyone who needs their friends to see them in even more detail while chatting on Skype

http://www.trustedreviews.com/notebooks/re...s-Eee-PC-900/p3

Still strange, because I read it that the device would have a 4GB ssd, and an 8 (or 16) GB flash card in the external slot, unless they built in a separate slot to insert extra memory to add to the built in SSD.

An SD flashcard would not be that good an option, since it's much slower then the technology used in SSD drives (basically flash card readers are interfaced through the USB 2 chipset)

Still strange, because I read it that the device would have a 4GB ssd, and an 8 (or 16) GB flash card in the external slot, unless they built in a separate slot to insert extra memory to add to the built in SSD.

It's rather easy to add an SD card internally next to the SSD. The internal slots lend themselves to do this and suspect that ASUS has done just that. A review on the 900 > http://www.eeeuser.com/

• 2 weeks later...