Pvc Pump Tubes, High Pressure Waterguns Banned For Songkran

george

Anyone remember the Western imbecile last year with the gun's water tank backpack filled with a mixture of ACID & water…oh what fun :o

right, from a business point of view it is also a complete write-off as in Pattaya the "fun" lasts for an entire week. Add Chakri Day on April 6, Mayday and Coronation day on May 5 makes a total of seven (resp. eight if you work Saturdays) working days within one month!

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

pattaya is hel_l on earth for 10 days

most businesses lose out seriously

most retirees get the hel_l out if they can

its total insanity, that goes on and on and on

what cretin ever thinks this is good for the tourist image :o

bangkok louts in their crappy pick ups, scoop out the filthiest water from the sewers so they can throw it over flangs and give them all kinds of infections

NIGHTMARE :D :D :D :D :D :D B):D

Maybe the Thai powers that be are not so backward as they appear!

I have a theory that the Thai people are living in a state of constant oppresion: poverty wages - and all that entails; corruption in all walks of life; rapidly changing way of life and decline in moral values, etc. etc. Therefor the madness of songkran is tolerated - even promoted - as a form of saftey release valve i.e. - it allows the psychopaths and those close to breaking point to vent their spleens thus avoiding out of control civil disturbance - anarcy. It is a form of controlled civil anarcy

I've been here 20 years and I HATE Songkhran. I used to love it--it was hot, getting wet was cooling. It was exciting, it was interesting, it was different. Over time, I saw a lot of people injured and hurt--mostly traffic accidents. I got older and it just wasn't as much fun as it was before.

Overall, it's not my festival, but it is a holiday for me. So now, I treat it like I would a nice 3 day blizzard in my home area. I stock up, stay home and enjoy the relative peace and quiet of my private retreat.

I relax, get rested and return to work with a whole different frame of mine.

It's different things to different people. I think the only thing that would make it worse would be if it was celebrated in the traditional way--now that sounds boring--at least to a foreigner.

I will see for myself. This is my first Songkran. There aren't enough Farangs up here to influence this water festival one way or the other. I really love the wanna be Thais blaming everything evil in Thailand on foreigners.

I agree with you. I live in Khon Kaen North East Thailand and there or not many tourists in this part of Thailand. Most of the Foreigners up here are married to Thais (and in their 50s upwards or single retirees. Very few want to be involved with the bucket throwing. However its mostly Thais (not Farangs) with the pick-up full of water and buckets and power water pistols around here.

About time the Thais and Farang Thai apologists stop blaming the foreigners for ALL their ills (many are self imposed)

To the person who thinks having a huge drum of water on his pick-up is fun.

Let me tell you nobody eating in restaurants in the Khon Kaen road where I and my family were having an 8pm meal last year thought it fun being soaked and having their meals ruined by a passing pick-up full of idiots with buckets and a drum of water (all Thais by the way). We were lucky not being too close to the road but others at several restaurants had their meals ruined also.

These idiots were also launching buckets of water at passing motorcycles at point blank range (as if drunk drivers, quality of driving and darkness were not enough for the drivers to have to deal with). This was not the only pick-up with water that went down that road that night, BUT the others did not target people in restaurants but motorcyclists were not spared by most.

What happens if a bucket of water thrown at as motorcyclist results in a fatal accident.

Deliberate MURDER I call it. Anybody who chucks a bucket of water at motorcyclists knows full well the possibilities

The Songkran is a lovely Festival which has now been hijacked by revellers and drunks has lost its true meaning to many (same as Xmas I suppose)

For those that think what goes on these days is fun and suggest that those that do not wish to join in can stay at home.

Why the hel_l should we have to go into hiding from these over zealous thugs for 3 or 4 days??.

This is not live and let live, because the bucket and water pistols carriers do what they like and those that wish to avoid the water fights are bullied into either accepting their fate or being imprisoned in their homes for 3 or 4 days due to these bullies who in my experience ESPECIALLY like to target obviously reluctant victims trying to avoid them. That in bullying and assault as far as I am concerned.

If people wish to have water fights why can't they be held in parks or designated areas/roads where there are no vehicles and visitors to the parks and those areas accept what they are about to get involved in (or receive)

My stepson will no doubt be involved in the water fighting but only with others also involved and NOT at passers by obviously trying to avoid a soaking. I have NO problem with water fights and soakings between willing participants -that IS FUN.

Regards

Dave

I will see for myself. This is my first Songkran. There aren't enough Farangs up here to influence this water festival one way or the other. I really love the wanna be Thais blaming everything evil in Thailand on foreigners.

I agree with you.

[snip]

Regards

Dave

...and so do I! :o

The Thais did not need us foreigners to turn a formerly peaceful activity into a complete mayhem. Those who have ever attended a traditional Songkran ceremony know what I mean.

LOL.. It is SO amusing to see a bunch of old farang people rant, rave and pant at a festival where people are having fun. :D

I know I will. :o

And yes it will involve a big barrel of water in the truck, and no, of course we're responsible in not throwing water at places or people that/who obviously need to be spared the worst. :D

Happy New Year everyone!!! (At home with your DVDs, or writing grumpy posts on forums, then semi-gloat at people getting killed in traffic... LOL :D 5555555555 ) (Clue: when the whole country travels there will be accidents.. happens on 31 December/ Jan 1 just the same.)

Speaking of Songkran,it appears that I will celebrate SOngkran for the first time.As I plan to take pictures with my SLR, what are the chance that they will also fire me with those water guns, or should I will just leave it home.

horse sense, get out of the rain................... up to you :o

Speaking of Songkran,it appears that I will celebrate SOngkran for the first time.As I plan to take pictures with my SLR, what are the chance that they will also fire me with those water guns, or should I will just leave it home.

horse sense, get out of the rain................... up to you :o

gee, i think i'll ride my bycycle to chang mai on newyears, will it be safe?

I agree with you.

[snip]

Regards

Dave

The Thais did not need us foreigners to turn a formerly peaceful activity into a complete mayhem. Those who have ever attended a traditional Songkran ceremony know what I mean.

and my wife will discuss the peacefull roadside deaths by peacefull drunks. LOL TIT :D

What's happened? Thailand instigating safety regulations? That's new!

Next they will prohibit hanging off the back of a songtaew.

Inforcing drivers to stop for pedestrians at "zebra" crossings,

Place barriers around huge potholes.

Make sure you "really" know how to drive before giving you a license.

ets etc etc

Anyone care to add to the list?

:o

A way of protecting workers from injury would be nice. But perhaps this is just another creative way of gathering bribes. Consistency is not constant however.

I agree with you.

[snip]

Regards

Dave

and my wife will discuss the peacefull roadside deaths by peacefull drunks. LOL TIT :D

This post has sure generated a lot positive and sad to say so much mindless comment its time to move on -- surfice to say - IF YOU RESPECT THIS COUNTRY - DO WHAT THE LOCALS DO -- DON'T MAKE US WHO LIKE TO LIVE HERE SUFFER FROM YOUR BRAINLESS THINKING -- AS SOMEONE SAID =- SHAVED HEADED BEER BELLY SLOBS - if you enjoy songkran go enjoy -- good luck with the health problems -- i suffered from cronic ear infections for years all because of putrid water = and if you think u can come here and be the little lord over the local just because u have a few bucks in your pocket --

PLEASE DO US ALL A FAVOUR - GO HOME ---

hate to see what the road toll for this year will be this time next week --- horror for sure == talk about the killing fields -

PVC pump tubes, high pressure waterguns banned for Songkran

BANGKOK: -- Excessive and intrusive waterspray attacking has become popular among some and hated by many during Thailand's annual Songkran Festival, the sale of high-pressure waterguns or PVC pumpguns has been prohibited for Songkran, according to the Office of the Consumer Protection Board (OCPB).

OCPB Secretary General Rasamee Vistaveth warned that the companies who produced or imported such equipment as well as shops offered such toys should be aware that waterguns have been banned under OCPB regulations.

Using modified waterguns such as the PVC pump tube which produces high water pressure, or other high pressure equipment, could cause serious injury to others, she said, adding that spraying water with such toys at people driving moving vehicles such as motorcycles and cars may cause serious accidents.

Manufacturers in violation of the ban can be fined no more than Bt500,000, or face a maximum five year jail term, while sellers face a maximum fine of 50,000 baht or six months imprisonment, she said.

Members of the public can call the 1166 hotline if they see vendors illegally selling the banned water guns, Mrs. Rasame said.

The Songkran New Year water festival is regarded as one of Thailand's the most important traditions and the OCPB encouraged the public to stick to the more polite Thai traditions of splashing water respectfully when celebrating Songkran.

Songkran is the traditional Thai New Year's festival. It falls on the 13th, 14th, and 15th of every April. The government has declared the festival as an extended public holiday, to enable people to return to their hometowns for family reunions, merit-making and reuniting with others in their community.

--TNA 2008-04-04

All I can say is reading this thank god I've never experienced Songkran in Thailand!

For all those who wish to have a real Songkran experience I'd suggest you make your way to Vientiane. For a start it only lasts 3 days and is still treated primarily as a religious event - if you want water fights then there is plenty of people around to obliged however you can also visit the temples without the lunatic fringe soaking you or chucking iced water on you!

The past 3 Songkran here I've just taken each year as I want - first 2 years I was on the back of my pickup having the water fights and giving as good as I got (they'll target a falang!), last year however I did the driving and the wifes cousins were on the back doing the water slinging. We visited 9 temples and we (me and wife) were still dry at the end.

The water fights were always reciprocal and most importantly fun!

Sure there is a few dickheads about lobbing the water bombs at cars etc however this is a distinct minority. In these cases we always make sure we have some prepared to make sure they don't get away pain free! Most case if you see them on the road ahead you just show them you've got them ready for them also and they'll change there minds!

Also the police here last year banned the 50 gallon containers people had previously on the back of the cars. If they were seen they were pulled over and fined and made to empty the tanks. Sure you could have smaller containers and supersoaker guns.

Most families (like my wifes) have New Year parties where you are soaked from the beginning to the end and are just an excuse to party and have some fun (fun being the optimum word here) but also the elders are wheeled out for blessings and pouring of water on them. All very respectable and fun . . also the death toll on the roads here is negligible - I think last year there was 6 reported deaths. 2 of them I know were actually due to child riding a motorbike with passenger out in front of a Beer Lao truck rather than 'Songkran' related they just happened during the 3 days.

Edited by technocracy

LOL.. It is SO amusing to see a bunch of old farang people rant, rave and pant at a festival where people are having fun. :D

I know I will. :o

And yes it will involve a big barrel of water in the truck, and no, of course we're responsible in not throwing water at places or people that/who obviously need to be spared the worst. :D

Happy New Year everyone!!! (At home with your DVDs, or writing grumpy posts on forums, then semi-gloat at people getting killed in traffic... LOL :D 5555555555 ) (Clue: when the whole country travels there will be accidents.. happens on 31 December/ Jan 1 just the same.)

Anybody who would gloat over road deaths or innocent deaths of any kind must be sub human.

Yes of course traffic deaths occur year round and for many reasons, BUT please do NOT try to belittle the real added danger of deaths due to water being launched at vehicle drivers.

Sorry Jefferson, but I think there is NO place for trucks with water in this festival. Fun and roads do NOT MIX - only roads and concentration Mix and WITHOUT water throwing distractions.

Firstly, trucks will be going slowly and the drivers will have their minds on prospective victims and getting close to them, NOT ON THE TRAFFIC or road ahead. Drivers not going so slowly will try to pass. And of course we all know those chucking water are concentrating on the approaching/passing traffic YEH RIGHT!!!!!. Add to that wet (maybe slippery) roads and other drivers trying to avoid getting wet = ACCIDENTS NOT caused by human error

Happy you will be responsible BUT there is still a BIG difference between "Need to be spared the worst" and "want to be spared" and I note you use the word Need so you totally disrespect the rights of those who only do NOT WANT eh? You and your mates on the truck consider yourselves self proclaimed judge and jury on who "need to be spared the worst" and those who do not? You all of course will have considered all the evidence before selecting each victim. THAT'S VERY REASSURING!!

Its very easy:

Those with water and water equipment are happy to be soaked and join in the fun.

Those avoiding the water throwers and without buckets and water pistols clearly do NOT want to join in. SO you should respect their rights and leave them alone, just as they leave you alone to have your water fights.

To correct a few comments. How do you know we who do not like the CURRENT type of Songkran water fights are either old or grumpy or Farangs.

Most of us like the old traditional (how it is meant to be) Songkran Festival just fine. I assume you are young OR you would not assume the antis are OLD and grumpy Farangs. Nothing like a massive over assumption, without ANY facts (you do not know us or our ages, race etc.) A common slur tactic when dealing with opposing view points -turn to insult and generalization

Do I suggest those who like the excessive and sometimes reckless water throwing are "young and stupid" NO of course not - I know that that the pros and antis have no age boundaries.

Those wishing to inflict anything upon others ALWAYS think things are fun or correct, whilst they are the ones dishing it out.

At least the antis do not affect the pros. Shame the reverse cannot be said.

Just MHO for what its worth :D who is neither old or grumpy (but cannot deny being a Farang :D) .

Dave

..It's the same on every Songkran thread, a group of whingeing old gits on one side, and a party of generally younger (with a few exceptions) funloving people on the other. It is the biggest holiday of the year in the country that you have decided to visit/ live in, if you don't like it bugger off somewhere else, but stop your bloody moaning....

I respect you opinion but NOT the disrespectful foul mouthed way you give it.

No decent Thai or Farang appreciate your manner and I suggest you go home and wash your mouth out and only write in future when you are capable of polite dialogue.

If you could be bothered to read most (I admit not all) of what has been said said you would realize that most "antis" are NOT unhappy with the water spraying traditions of the Songkran Festival and Thai culture BUT are unhappy the current level of water fighting (often reckless) that has NOTHING to do with the REAL Songkran Festival.

It is not ONLY Farangs who feel things have got out of hand unless you consider the Thai Government and authorities to be made up of Farangs .

If I am on my motorbike I DO NOT want some idiots hurling buckets of water at me and impairing my concentration, vision and rocking my bike sideways due to the force of the water.

Is that so unreasonable???

It is so unreasonable that I would wish to leave my house sometimes during the 4 days festival without being soaked to the skin within minutes and repeatedly so, until I get back home??

Is it unreasonable to be in a restaurant at 8pm at night and expect my family not to be soaked and our meals not to be ruined by bucket throwing revellers in a passing pick-up??

You tell me who is reasonable and who is not!!.

I enjoy fun as much as the next person but there has to be boundaries on what is fun and reasonable and what is thuggery.

Whether my views are agreed with or not at least I can make MY case without foul mouthed insults.

I have nothing against songkran...... played in the traditional way, as the Thais used to do it, but it has become just another touri$t draw where some Thais 'prostitute' their selves for that touri$t baht as well as the opportunity to 'get even' with the falangs that they have to endure for a living.

Just taking a casual poll among my neighbors here in the outskirts of Chiang Mai, most [except the children] agree that songkran has gotten 'out of control'.

Maybe that is the draw for the touri$t, they can act like irresponsible children in a foreign land for a week.

Judging from the replies on this topic, it seems that the pro-songkran folks are mostly newbies and i assume are just touri$ts and the anti-songkran folks are not just old farts, but responsible and polite people who live here and like to function without the insanity that this holiday brings and we don't like to hear about the high death toll and infections that always comes after.

Last year I made video recordings on soi 8 in Pattaya (eg.,
) from a vacant construction sight across the street from the bars -- but even there, people aimed at me, often aiming directly at the camcorder.

Good video! :o I especially liked the shot of the farang pumping up his high power water gun. I think he seemed rather too proficient at that pumping action, though. He looked a little embarrassed. :D

:D

I have nothing against songkran...... played in the traditional way, as the Thais used to do it, but it has become just another touri$t draw where some Thais 'prostitute' their selves for that touri$t baht as well as the opportunity to 'get even' with the falangs that they have to endure for a living.

Just taking a casual poll among my neighbors here in the outskirts of Chiang Mai, most [except the children] agree that songkran has gotten 'out of control'.

Maybe that is the draw for the touri$t, they can act like irresponsible children in a foreign land for a week.

Judging from the replies on this topic, it seems that the pro-songkran folks are mostly newbies and i assume are just touri$ts and the anti-songkran folks are not just old farts, but responsible and polite people who live here and like to function without the insanity that this holiday brings and we don't like to hear about the high death toll and infections that always comes after.

Right, I'm not an old git (48), but I have a life here, I would like to be able to meet my dentist and business appointment and other meetings not soaked to death. Many foreigners live here and can enjoy songkran for one day, but when it's a one week nightmare it's just to much. Please guys, have a brain. :o

Thanks to Viktor for the “AquaPac” which protected the camera from the water and the rain, and to Simon who took some of these shots out of the car and myself. Without both them these photos could not have been taken. Thank you both of you for helping me. :D

Equipment, Camera, Olympus 8080WZ, "AquaPac" a large condom, and my most treasured friend "The Synthetic Chamois Cloth" to remove water from the front of the glass.

Photos take in Kanchanaburi over the years:-

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

This one was aimed at Simon the Photographer

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

Now my three all time Fav's

No. 3

large.jpg

No. 2

large.jpg

Last but not least No. 1

original.jpg

Please, if you do play, play safe, sound and respect all others.

I do not play, only shoot Smileyphotographe8204.gif

Yours truly, :o

Kan Win :D

P.S. and at 58 years old :D

Your .....wrong ....... louissmith...the insanity started when you tourist started comming over to throw water in a rude way. before that songkran was a polite holiday to honor the elders in a gentle way and the Thais saw it as an opportunity to milk your tourist $$ and make fools of you....5555, .......................

So you are trying to tell me that the masses of tourists who came to visit Nakon Nowhere (sarcasm btw we get no tourists) that I live in have made local boys behave like demented monkeys and attack each other with machetes in the park during the water festival.

I do believe that you are talking complete guff there.

Living in a town with hardly any foreigners I see pissed up Thai boys abusing people, feeling up girls and generally being quite malicious. Spreading thick white powder and water on peoples car windows and across their motorbike helmets is not for the joy of songkran. It's purely to reduce visibility.

The gentle old lady who asks if she can put a bit on my face is being polite.

The only people who generally enjoy it in a civilized way are the people with young kids/families.

You are talking absolute rot about it being tourists who have changed the festival.

F

Edited by mraitchison

I agree with you.

[snip]

Regards

Dave

This post has sure generated a lot positive and sad to say so much mindless comment its time to move on -- surfice to say - IF YOU RESPECT THIS COUNTRY - DO WHAT THE LOCALS DO -- DON'T MAKE US WHO LIKE TO LIVE HERE SUFFER FROM YOUR BRAINLESS THINKING -- AS SOMEONE SAID =- SHAVED HEADED BEER BELLY SLOBS - if you enjoy songkran go enjoy -- good luck with the health problems -- i suffered from cronic ear infections for years all because of putrid water = and if you think u can come here and be the little lord over the local just because u have a few bucks in your pocket --

PLEASE DO US ALL A FAVOUR - GO HOME ---

hate to see what the road toll for this year will be this time next week --- horror for sure == talk about the killing fields -

the implied temptation here is to understand eastern behavior with western thought. a bit like trying to remove a transmission with a sewing machine............................

as my family has said, in the west we complain to much.........my reply is, the product of complaining is high standards.. thais are unbelievably proud ( a bit xenophobic), however i said to khun pa, what do you want for your grand children??. his smile said it all. his children all have masters deg. from the west.

i wish well being to all .

especially the brainless, shaved headed beer belly slobs . ( BECAUSE THE CARRY WET SLOPPY WADS OF BHAT ! )

p.s. to what degree do thais respect the farang?

A LITTLE SOCIALLY ACCEPTABLE SLIGHTLY PASSIVE AGGRESSIVE BEHAVIOR? AND WHAT CALIBER IF THAI IS INVOLVED IN UN " FUN " STUFF? ANYHOW?? same as anywhere else in the world. :D

believe in the lord...................but tie up your horse.

Sorry Jefferson, but I think there is NO place for trucks with water in this festival. Fun and roads do NOT MIX - only roads and concentration Mix and WITHOUT water throwing distractions. Firstly, trucks will be going slowly and the drivers will have their minds on prospective victims and getting close to them, NOT ON THE TRAFFIC or road ahead. Drivers not going so slowly will try to pass.

I agree with that to a point.. That's why places where not everybody joins in suck so bad. But if you're in a zone where everbody plays and traffic is therefore at a near stand-still, I think it's fairly safe. For example in Chiang Mai, you're never ever going faster than walking-speed around the city moat. (mostly slower).

And of course we all know those chucking water are concentrating on the approaching/passing traffic YEH RIGHT!!!!!.

There is no approaching traffic where people play in Chiang Mai; it's all one-way.

Happy you will be responsible BUT there is still a BIG difference between 'Need to be spared the worst' and 'want to be spared' and I note you use the word Need so you totally disrespect the rights of those who only do NOT WANT eh?

Spared the worst = using a tiny silver cup to sprinkle some water. You're getting an awful lot in your head.

You and your mates on the truck consider yourselves self proclaimed judge and jury on who 'need to be spared the worst' and those who do not?

Yup, that's Songkran. It's a party. If you don't like it, avoid places where people celebrate. (Yes, in some cities that means staying in your house, car, department store, etc.)

You all of course will have considered all the evidence before selecting each victim. THAT'S VERY REASSURING!!

No prob, always happy to put minds at ease.

Its very easy: Those with water and water equipment are happy to be soaked and join in the fun. Those avoiding the water throwers and without buckets and water pistols clearly do NOT want to join in. SO you should respect their rights and leave them alone, just as they leave you alone to have your water fights.

Yes, didn't I just say that? I wasn't kidding when I said 'using common sense', you're getting things in your head again! Note that you don't encounter that a lot in Chiang Mai where nobody does any work for a week straight, but I would of course not throw water on people clearly not joining in.

To correct a few comments. How do you know we who do not like the CURRENT type of Songkran water fights are either old or grumpy or Farangs. Most of us like the old traditional (how it is meant to be) Songkran Festival just fine. I assume you are young OR you would not assume the antis are OLD and grumpy Farangs. Nothing like a massive over assumption, without ANY facts (you do not know us or our ages, race etc.) A common slur tactic when dealing with opposing view points -turn to insult and generalization Do I suggest those who like the excessive and sometimes reckless water throwing are 'young and stupid' NO of course not - I know that that the pros and antis have no age boundaries.

True. I mean age more in a mental sort of way than 'cut you in half and count the rings' sort of way. :o

1) ..Dave's quote: ..And of course we all know those chucking water are concentrating on the approaching/passing traffic YEH RIGHT!!!!!.

There is no approaching traffic where people play in Chiang Mai; it's all one-way....

2)..Dave's quote: ..You and your mates on the truck consider yourselves self proclaimed judge and jury on who 'need to be spared the worst' and those who do not?

Yup, that's Songkran. It's a party. If you don't like it, avoid places where people celebrate. (Yes, in some cities that means staying in your house, car, department store, etc.)...

Thanks for your reply Jefferson its appreciated.

1) To be genuinely honest I was actually thinking about faster moving traffic coming up from the rear (I assumed the pickup driver would not actually get SO distracted as to cross the centre line and affect oncoming traffic.

2) Yes you have just proved my point. You personally (and I believe you) many not target those obviously not wishing to participate, but unfortunately MOST take an extreme delight in doing so (guess that's human nature) especially if the victim target is a farang AND in my case a very, VERY obese farang.

It is a sad truth that bullies always pick on the weak, passive or minority (I am NOT including you Jefferson as you have clearly stated you do not target the obviously unwilling).

I wish more were the same as you, because there are thousands who are willing to do so and to many of them it is not so much fun having a water fight with willing participants when they can pick on unwilling persons trying to remain dry and keep out of it.

When I was on my honeymoon in Phuket with my wife a few years back I was unaware of the Festival :o .

I was quickly to learn :D .

We wanted to go sight seeing. We were both drowned almost as soon as we left our hotel (my wife in her honeymoon excitement had forgotten about the date and the festival). We went back inside and changed and somehow made it dry to waiting Tuk Tuk. I pulled down the plastic side sheet and held it in position. Pretty obvious we wished to remain dry I'd say.

Tuk Tuk stops at Red traffic lights. 6 bucket throwers target us. Plastic sheet does its job (mostly :D). Then one drops his bucket and forces the sheet out of my hand and holds it up. The others refill - you know the rest. (luckily my passport and camera and wallet had been plastic bagged before I left the hotel the second time.

I call that bullying and assault and certainly NOT fun. We were clearly not involved and clearly trying to avoid being involved becuase we wished to keep dry as we were visiting places site seeing (soem inside). We were minding out own business shame the bucket throwers did not do the same.

But this is the Songkran Festival, and the Government and authorities give adults permission to inflict themselves (mostly legally on others who do not wish to join in).

We were on our Honeymoon leisure time so the attacks were not the end of the world JUST annoying (as we wished to site see in dry clothing). Many however, especially those in the catering industry such as my Aunt, work during the whole festival and few can afford a car to get to work dry. My Aunt needs to take several sets of extra clothing in a bag for a) getting to work AND :D for the water attacks whilst at work (she is a chef and must remain hygienic when dealing with food). MANY cannot have a 7 day holiday week they have to work or starve or lose their jobs.

In Khon Kaen we do not have barely any one way roads (certainly not primary) and it is impossible in this sprawling city to find dry routes to get from A to B.

You are correct in some cities that means staying in your house, car, department store etc.

a) if you are going to a mall or Dept. store and in a car you still have to park and get there and back.

:D The majority do not have the money to own cars they need to travel by motorbike or foot.

Your suggestion to stay at home proves my point. The "Fun" lovers force the reluctant to join in, OR go into pressurized imprisonment of their home for 3 or 4 day IF we do not wish to get soaked (often with non tap quality water) or join in. In my book That IS bullying by the fun lovers on those wishing to go about their lives dry.

Unless you stay at home you cannot avoid them and let's be realistic Jefferson. Most target anybody who moves and I have yet to see signs on water throwers saying (I only attack the willing). Not being clairvoyant I cannot guess which is which but I know 99% WILL target the unwilling.

There are MANY forms of fun and whether enjoying chucking water or not are not the definitions of a Fun lovers, killjoys, grump, old etc.

Having said that I genuinely hope you and other revellers enjoy yourselves and have fun.

Dave

Well what can I say?

You FUN lovers who enjoy or do sometimes target motorists and those not wishing to participate will ALL have a BIG laugh at this.

My previous concerns have turned out regretfully prophetic.

Is today Songkran NO NO it is Friday 11th April

So please explain to me why there are so many kid and a few adults chucking water at motorcyclists and everybody who moves in Khon Kaen.

I went out today before my enforced stay at home thinking I would be safe. NO.

I was water pistolled as I entered Fairy Plaza shopping Mall. I detoured my motorbike on 3 occasion due to obvious water attacks I could see ahead. However, my wife, 4½ stepson and I were returning home from my wife's aunt on my motorbike I was taken by surprise by an unexpected bucket of water thrown at us by a young child in a small soi (with adults in attendance)

(for those that think its for the Farang tourists please explain how that works is a rural city in small soi where no farang tourist would find it, let alone visit).

I instinctively braked but obviously too hard on the wet road (having been dry for days) my bike slipped sideways and on top of us. My stepson and wife were not crushed because being a fat 145 kilo man I am well padded and took the brunt of the weight of my Yamaha Nouvo (not a tiny or light motorbike for its class).

Luckily we were all wearing helmets (very fortunate for me because the side of my head hammered against the road and my helmet came off with the impact. I now have a slight head ache as I write having just got home (but I am certain I have no concussion).

My stepson was crying and has a big graze on his knee, my wife a small cut on her leg and I have a long graze on my left arm and a small one on my leg. My motorbike unscratched in 1½ years of driving is damaged down the left front side.

Sure the family of the water thrower raced to help and were very, very sorry. I intimated that today is not the start of the festival and left it at that.

As we drove away they patted me and said "Happeee Songkran". Obviously thankful we took it all so well

Many here may feel it was an accident (which it was BUT there are accidents and accidents. This one should never have happened. For a start today is not part of ther Songkran holiday and it is about time people controlled themselves with a little responsibility. This incident proves what the festival has become when children (with adults in attendance) are allowed to throw buckets of water at motorcyclists with women and children passengers.

You have no idea how controlled I am being not saying the words that came to my mind as we crashed over.

Can I do anything. NO they are too poor to pay for the bike to be repaired and the cuts, grazes and shock will quickly heel.

1 -0 to the fun lovers (three innocent persons minding their own business the day before the Songkran week starts are shaken up with very minor injuries and I have a damaged bike in need of repair.

I am NOT a "Happee Hector"

HAPPY SONGKRAN and PLEASE be sensible with your targeting if you intend to participate in the water throwing festivities.

First Songkran mishap I ever saw was a motorcycle doing a u-turn way too fast, the drunk pillion passenger slipped off the seat, fell onto the pavement right in the middle of busy Sukhumvit, rolled once and got back up on his feet running still holding an intact large Chang beer. Lucky drunk.