Approach By Tourist Police.

Mosha

Opinions needed please. I have just had the tourist police up trying to recruit me. It was them car/badges etc, so discount a wind up. They are looking for Farangs with English language skills to join the police in assisting tourists. They implied it was voluntary work. Now I understand that volunteers in Phuket at the time of the tsunami had problems because they had the wrong visa. The guys they have shown me from Chumpon appear to be living here on the same basis as me, that is 12 month extension based on a Thai family. I told them before I commited myself to this I would want to hear immigrations opinion. They implied that it was not a visa issue, but they would wouldn't they. If this is is the wrong forum please move it, but I did not know where to post it, as I feel it is just seeking opinions.

Edited by Mosha

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes phuket and patts has its hobby bobbies..

Opinion very divided.. The go around in paramilitary looking uniforms and jackboots, they have handcuffs on a belt etc, in patts they have been involved with drug busts, gogo busts (nudity) and other things.. The official line is helping tourists but the reality is theres lots of other things too.

Second thing is they have no more rights than any other person on the streets, thats the line, but they still carry handcuffs, can I just go and handcuff someone if I want ?? They have not recieved training the use of restraints etc etc etc.

I think it appeals to guys who like to do the uniform thing and tell others what to do.

I WISH one of those wanna be's would even look like he wanted to put some cuffs on me. Real cops are one thing they generally have my respect , I don't like to get involved with them, but a fake azz expat looser, peusdo renta cops disgust me.

Hehe Thanks Chopper, too much time in West Philly I guess.

Mosha, Then you may not really want a piece of that action, I mean what's in it for you? Is there anything good that you can think of that may come of it?

I'snt that working, even though it is not for pay? The Law states you req a work permit. If the Tourist police cannot provide one I would steer clear, those farang tourist police are actually breaking the law themselves right? Imagine you collar the wrong guy one night, the shit hits the fan (pardon my phrase) and then YOU are the one in the wrong. In the eyes of Thai Law, your a farang and that is all that matters.

:o

If used properly (and that's a big if here) there is a need for Tourist Police assistants in popular tourist destinations who speak English and other languages fluently. It should be a requirement that these assistants also speak Thai fluently. So many problems are caused by misunderstanding and miscommunication. Ideally these assistants or officers would be paid employees and not necessarily foreigners.

Edited by way2muchcoffee

Opinions needed please. I have just had the tourist police up trying to recruit me. It was them car/badges etc, so discount a wind up. They are looking for Farangs with English language skills to join the police in assisting tourists. They implied it was voluntary work. Now I understand that volunteers in Phuket at the time of the tsunami had problems because they had the wrong visa. The guys they have shown me from Chumpon appear to be living here on the same basis as me, that is 12 month extension based on a Thai family. I told them before I commited myself to this I would want to hear immigrations opinion. They implied that it was not a visa issue, but they would wouldn't they. If this is is the wrong forum please move it, but I did not know where to post it, as I feel it is just seeking opinions.

This is a joke, right?

Hmm!!! I'm a retired cop and I will say to you pass on this. You might getting in way beyond your capabilites. The theory is good but uniforms attract attention and that is not always a good thing. Reserves in the California are given the same training and held to the same standards as any other cop. The visa aspect probably won't be a problem until you tick off the wrong person. My thoughts not a good idea.

I'snt that working, even though it is not for pay? The Law states you req a work permit. If the Tourist police cannot provide one I would steer clear, those farang tourist police are actually breaking the law themselves right? Imagine you collar the wrong guy one night, the shit hits the fan (pardon my phrase) and then YOU are the one in the wrong. In the eyes of Thai Law, your a farang and that is all that matters.

:D

That is what I was implying with the tsunami volunteers. Not Farang Tourist police, but volunteers who came to Thailand as charity workers etc.

It turns out the police officer lives in LA-UN my local Ampoe. Struck me what use is a tourist police who can't communicate with the farang tourists. I am not fluent in Thai, heck I'm from Yorkshire so some might say I am not fluent in English either. :o After years of fending of the local teachers now this starts. Barge pole and don't touch with is the order of the day.

Hehe Thanks Chopper, too much time in West Philly I guess.

Mosha, Then you may not really want a piece of that action, I mean what's in it for you? Is there anything good that you can think of that may come of it?

You get to nob around with the local police bigwigs and stuff.. Probably handy number to call should you have a problem..

Typical Thai poo yai scene..

I brought up this exact topic.. They claim some special dispensation.. of course when asked exactyly what dispensation under law and on whose word they mumbled and went quiet..

But whose gonna catch the police !!

This is a joke, right?

Nope in this country this qualifies as a good idea !!

Trust me I am no wannabe cop Gary. More than happy writing AI flightplans for Flightsim to pass my time, and LivinLOS I have enough bigwig friends should I need them without the need for a uniform. No I just need a polite way to refuse :o

I have e-mailed some local friends with a heads up.

Edited by Mosha

Thailand has to be one of the greatest places on earth for acting out fantasies and living lives of delusion. You can even be a pretend cop and live out fantasies of controlling others. What a bunch of tools these wannabe coppers are.

You want to hear from the Labor Ministry, not Immigrations, as they are the ones in charge of work permits.

Despite repeated requests, not once have Farang Volunteer Police produced either the required Work Permit or Work Permit Exemption Letter.

so many negativities!

Could it be that these guys/gals who volunteered actually want to help out other expats and nothing more?

There are many genuinely good hearted expats in Thailand you know.

Misplaced Well said mate.....

"There are many genuinely good hearted expats in Thailand you know"....Just not too many on TV forums... :D ....

Just imagine if there was Gov policy in place which said, by volunteering for things like the tourist police it would make it easier

with your visa applications etc......3/4 of the moaners/critics and complainers on these forums would be queuing up to join the ranks....and then telling eveyone what a wonderful thing they are doing by giving something back to Thailand and they are only doing it because they want to help people.... :o

Personally not my cup of tea as I dont have the patience with people that would be needed, and would end taking a swing at someone but if someone wants to do it and feel they are contributing to something why not....if its all legal and above board.....better to be doing something constructive than sitting on a forum moaning/complaining and going on about all thats bad in LOS....

Edited by Tomkagai

Problem with the above newbie's hypothesis is that this law enforcement masquerade has nothing to do with good-heartedness...

Take your point, but know a couple of guys who have been involved with this and the reason they give is that it gives them something do, rather than sitting in a bar all day p*ssing it up...and the guys concerned are not the " gun-ho, rambo...I wanna be a renta cop type guys"....are they doing this to build up "contacts" as part of the motivation.?..certainly think so, but hey thats how the world works...not what you know, but who you know...and this most certainly applies in LOS...