Approach By Tourist Police.

Mosha

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have 20 +- english speaking FTPA in Pattaya 25% out of town or otherwise unavailable at any given time. Our post is at the beginning of walking street and barely enough of us to go around, we commit to 1 night a week from 8:30pm to 2:30am. We are not full timers. I believe with the shortage or police around the country we only have 24 regular police officers at the TP station in Pattaya so we rely on Thai volunteers to assist but they must be supervised at all times by a regular TP. After all they and we are civilians assisting the police dept. without any more authority on our own that a regular Thai citizen who if witnessing a crime are capable of making a citizens arrest. If we decide to cross that line we are subject to lawsuits and liable for appropriate fines. Anyone who doubts what we do I would invite you to come down to the van some Wednesday night for a full shift with me and you will get a better idea. But please come down sober, spend the evening without a pre-judgment and then write your comments.

Any one want to step up to the plate? PM me if you do.

I question the integrity of the Tourist Police since full time scammers operate at the gates to Thailands major attractions.

There is a group at the Erawan Shrine everyday..all day...scamming tourists.

Not just some random scumbags but 20-30 well dressed Thais pretending to be friendly strangers to lost tourists.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21533131@N06/

The T.P. know this but refuse or are incapable or afraid of doing anything about it.

I sent them these photos last June.

These groups of scammers ruin thousands of holidays every year.

It's a huge black eye to Thai Tourism but nothing is done.

How difficult would it be post Tourist Police at the major tourist sites?

They are posted at the major tourist sites. Hard workers too. They even remain at their post while off duty in civilian attire.

Get it? :o

SJ. obviously many things escape you "I am not authorized to answer".

Fair enough you're not authorized... that's been the standard reply from other farang volunteer cops. What escapes me is WHY such a simple question is so difficult for ANYONE to answer it. To unnecessarily shroud such seemingly open questions doesn't do much for much for recruitment, but so be it.

It's probably the standard reply, as in reality they do not have the work permit or exemption letter for tourist police work. Correct me if I am wrong?

:o

Thats been the eventual answer from everyone I have pressured.. One pretended he did have for a long time, then said he had formal authorisation from such and such.. Which also turned out to be untrue (unprovable, nothing in writing)..

Its just such a Thai comedic moment that the very police are blatantly breaking the law every second...

We have 20 +- english speaking FTPA in Pattaya 25% out of town or otherwise unavailable at any given time. Our post is at the beginning of walking street and barely enough of us to go around, we commit to 1 night a week from 8:30pm to 2:30am. We are not full timers. I believe with the shortage or police around the country we only have 24 regular police officers at the TP station in Pattaya so we rely on Thai volunteers to assist but they must be supervised at all times by a regular TP. After all they and we are civilians assisting the police dept. without any more authority on our own that a regular Thai citizen who if witnessing a crime are capable of making a citizens arrest. If we decide to cross that line we are subject to lawsuits and liable for appropriate fines. Anyone who doubts what we do I would invite you to come down to the van some Wednesday night for a full shift with me and you will get a better idea. But please come down sober, spend the evening without a pre-judgment and then write your comments.

Hi Bob, can you offer a Work permit?

After all they and we are civilians assisting the police dept. without any more authority on our own that a regular Thai citizen who if witnessing a crime are capable of making a citizens arrest. If we decide to cross that line we are subject to lawsuits and liable for appropriate fines.

Well our lot carry cuffs and sometimes mace on thier batman belts.. So thats OK for normal citizens is it ?? Restraining people with cuffs without training (dangerous)..

I really think this whole program has merit but its been handled the usual asian authoritarian top down way, jackboots and combat trousers, black berets, etc.. If perhaps they had been attired in a more friendly way, think golf Ts and butlin helps style blazers, possibly had a fixed station, were called tourist assistance, etc.. That it would get a better reaction for the public and residents, and appeal less to those that wish to act out authority fantasies.

For Hackers and Trolls unfortunately not, that doesn't qualify you for our group, but if someone is well qualified, as I am sure you're not, then a work permit can be arranged. PM me with your qualifications and I will put you in touch with the right person.

Post 18

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=6592

George, what you say about work permits is not true. You can get special dispensation from the Thai Labour Ministry to do voluntary work without a work permit. I am a member of Pattaya City Expats Club and there are about 30 of us volunteering to teach English to school kids in Pattaya schools as well as getting involved with giving City Hall employees and local Thai newspaper reporters practice at speaking and listening to English to add to the lessons they are recieving. We are all in the process of getting approved and being issued with the notice from the Labour Ministry in Chonburi. I guess the same applies to these guys as thier work is seen as an asset to the community and government bodies?

So anyone ever get one of these ???

Personally I'd have thought as a cardboard cutout cop you'd be on a hiding to nothing.

Okay if you are helping out tourists you'll get some appreciation unless the tourist is actually in the wrong then you'll get derision. However what if say you are intervening in an arguement between tourist and Baht bus driver and you deem the Thai to be wrong - rapid contact between 3/4" rebar and your skull jumps to mind.

But what if you are assisting the regular police is raids on gogo bars etc. You will be unversally hated by both Thais and farangs and contact between rebar and skull once again is a possibility.

Why voluntarily put yourself in jeopardy for no reimbursement? If you have a wife and family you have also to think of them first.

For Hackers and Trolls unfortunately not, that doesn't qualify you for our group, but if someone is well qualified, as I am sure you're not, then a work permit can be arranged. PM me with your qualifications and I will put you in touch with the right person.

Interesting the first time I have ver heard of one being offered..

Having asked perhaps 10 - 15 volunteers none of them had one.. Do you ???

\

None of your business.

Personally I'd have thought as a cardboard cutout cop you'd be on a hiding to nothing.

Okay if you are helping out tourists you'll get some appreciation unless the tourist is actually in the wrong then you'll get derision. However what if say you are intervening in an arguement between tourist and Baht bus driver and you deem the Thai to be wrong - rapid contact between 3/4" rebar and your skull jumps to mind.

But what if you are assisting the regular police is raids on gogo bars etc. You will be unversally hated by both Thais and farangs and contact between rebar and skull once again is a possibility.

Why voluntarily put yourself in jeopardy for no reimbursement? If you have a wife and family you have also to think of them first.

We don't raid bars, we don't work without a Regular Tourist police officer close at hand, we work 2 or more people together.Baht bus drivers actually show more respect than a few farangs on this board do and even refuse to accept b5 or b10 when we are in uniform. As I said previously any undercover work is strickly voluntary with guidelines and proper warning of possible danger. Not my cup of tea.

Baht bus drivers actually show more respect than a few farangs on this board do and even refuse to accept b5 or b10 when we are in uniform.

So you do admit to accepting 'favours' from a section of Pattaya's society that does have many members with an established reputation of overcharging tourists and using threats of violence*. Even if it is a 10 Baht 'fare' once a week, when a dispute occurs between a BB driver that you know and a tourist that you do not - will you ignore the fact that you are indebted to one party and not the other?

Those of us that live here under Thai law with WPs and pay taxes understand the 'system' even if you farang TPV try to convince yourselves that you are legally and morally without sin, you are used and abused by your masters that you hail to, the fact that you are not prepared to admit that many do not have a WP yet are clearly working is the first step on that downward slope.

My WP states that a 1,000 Baht fine is due if I fail to produce it on demand at my place of work, if a selection of TV members were to visit 'the van' one night, would WPs that include provision for assisting police in their duties in relation to tourists be availible for inspection?

A yes or no answer would be fine.

What qualifications are required? I would rather not waste your time by sending my extensive cv in the first of all.

\

None of your business.

I will take that as a no then !!

Post 18

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=6592

George, what you say about work permits is not true. You can get special dispensation from the Thai Labour Ministry to do voluntary work without a work permit. I am a member of Pattaya City Expats Club and there are about 30 of us volunteering to teach English to school kids in Pattaya schools as well as getting involved with giving City Hall employees and local Thai newspaper reporters practice at speaking and listening to English to add to the lessons they are recieving. We are all in the process of getting approved and being issued with the notice from the Labour Ministry in Chonburi. I guess the same applies to these guys as thier work is seen as an asset to the community and government bodies?

So anyone ever get one of these ???

Show us a copy. Baden-Powell lives on. BE PREPARED.

A tourist policeman. For free. You have got to be joking. Why?

You think it will be easier to pick up girls in a pretty uniform?

You enjoy helping the Thai authorities stick- it- to your western cousins?

You think you might get a flow on from the back handers and payolla?

You think you will be seen in a better light and respected by the other (real) tourist police you'll be working with?

You don't think you won't be an in-house joke having a whitey cow towing to them?

You don't like your own kind much so you are happy to get the chance to lord it over a few westeners and maybe get a chance to give them a good kiçkin' from time to time?

You think if you can't beat em ...join em?

Do you look up to them (tourist police) in such high esteem that it would be an honour to join them as an equal model citizen?

Are you so worried about getting kicked out of the country that you think this will earn you enough brownie points to get you a life membership card?

Why are you helping them to do there dirty work? You know you won't get a gun to play with like them.

If you really want to help Thailand for free there are dozens of ways you can make a real difference and where your efforts will be far more appreciated and rewarding (not the money kind though). You could try the hill tribe people, for example.

A (pretend) tourist cop? Could you lower yourself so far?

You think you will be seen in a better light and respected by the other (real) tourist police you'll be working with?

You don't think you won't be an in-house joke having a whitey cow towing to them?

You don't like your own kind much so you are happy to get the chance to lord it over a few westeners and maybe get a chance to give them a good kiçkin' from time to time?

Do you look up to them (tourist police) in such high esteem that it would be an honour to join them as an equal model citizen?

Are you so worried about getting kicked out of the country that you think this will earn you enough brownie points to get you a life membership card?

Why are you helping them to do there dirty work? You know you won't get a gun to play with like them.

If you really want to help Thailand for free there are dozens of ways you can make a real difference and where your efforts will be far more appreciated and rewarding (not the money kind though). You could try the hill tribe people, for example.

Are you a recruitment officer?

The highlighted question actually has some appeal... :D

:D

Are you a recruitment officer?

The highlighted question actually has some appeal... :D

Mmmmm! I must admit, given that opportunity, I might just sign up myself. Gruppenfuhrer Backenhander at your service.

Baht bus drivers actually show more respect than a few farangs on this board do and even refuse to accept b5 or b10 when we are in uniform.

So you do admit to accepting 'favours' from a section of Pattaya's society that does have many members with an established reputation of overcharging tourists and using threats of violence*. Even if it is a 10 Baht 'fare' once a week, when a dispute occurs between a BB driver that you know and a tourist that you do not - will you ignore the fact that you are indebted to one party and not the other?

Those of us that live here under Thai law with WPs and pay taxes understand the 'system' even if you farang TPV try to convince yourselves that you are legally and morally without sin, you are used and abused by your masters that you hail to, the fact that you are not prepared to admit that many do not have a WP yet are clearly working is the first step on that downward slope.

My WP states that a 1,000 Baht fine is due if I fail to produce it on demand at my place of work, if a selection of TV members were to visit 'the van' one night, would WPs that include provision for assisting police in their duties in relation to tourists be availible for inspection?

A yes or no answer would be fine.

No.

WP not required but available if needed and qualified. Cuban's can't qualify.

If all of this was true we would be inundated with volunteers like your self. Fortunately none of it is true and our screening process would exclude you I am sure.

Most of the volunteers are married or in committed relationships and want to keep it that way.

Many here seem to think the foreign cop helpers are wannabes. In my view all you that are trying to make yourselves feel better by pissing on them are the wannabes. You criticize them for working as police assistants and yet you act like you yourselves want to be immigration police (you're not police yourselves, why worry about someone else's work permit?). Seriously, you want to go check their work permits and you're a foreigner as well? Sorry, you don't havethe authority to do that. They're performing a good service; usually to help foreigners that may be in trouble or have got themselves in trouble with drunken reverlry. Sounds like they do a lot of good. The main arguments all of you have are pretty much worthless, petty, and jealous-sounding arguments. It has to do with your own misconceptions that you unwisely voice (as they look quite stupid and immature in print) and the first comments seemed to mention that some didn't like their uniforms and posters projected their own twisted envy by trying to tear them down for wearing the uniform they were given. fuc_king grow up and get over yourselves.

Many here seem to think the foreign cop helpers are wannabes. In my view all you that are trying to make yourselves feel better by pissing on them are the wannabes. You criticize them for working as police assistants and yet you act like you yourselves want to be immigration police (you're not police yourselves, why worry about someone else's work permit?). Seriously, you want to go check their work permits and you're a foreigner as well? Sorry, you don't havethe authority to do that. They're performing a good service; usually to help foreigners that may be in trouble or have got themselves in trouble with drunken reverlry. Sounds like they do a lot of good. The main arguments all of you have are pretty much worthless, petty, and jealous-sounding arguments. It has to do with your own misconceptions that you unwisely voice (as they look quite stupid and immature in print) and the first comments seemed to mention that some didn't like their uniforms and posters projected their own twisted envy by trying to tear them down for wearing the uniform they were given. < expletives snipped >

No need to go down and check. There was already an admission 3 posts up that they don't have work permits.

If they choose to work illegally in Thailand, that's up to them. Personally, I wouldn't.

Questions arise, though, when people in law enforcement flaunt the law... because one wonders where, if at all, they draw the line.

*edit*... I'd just add that I DO appreciate that finally, after 12 threads and 43 times asking the question, that the answer is finally given that they don't have work permits. Getting a straight answer to a simple question is hopefully not this difficult when they are helping tourists.

Edited by sriracha john

Many here seem to think the foreign cop helpers are wannabes. In my view all you that are trying to make yourselves feel better by pissing on them are the wannabes. You criticize them for working as police assistants and yet you act like you yourselves want to be immigration police (you're not police yourselves, why worry about someone else's work permit?). Seriously, you want to go check their work permits and you're a foreigner as well? Sorry, you don't havethe authority to do that. They're performing a good service; usually to help foreigners that may be in trouble or have got themselves in trouble with drunken reverlry. Sounds like they do a lot of good. The main arguments all of you have are pretty much worthless, petty, and jealous-sounding arguments. It has to do with your own misconceptions that you unwisely voice (as they look quite stupid and immature in print) and the first comments seemed to mention that some didn't like their uniforms and posters projected their own twisted envy by trying to tear them down for wearing the uniform they were given. fuc_king grow up and get over yourselves.

So, I take it that you enjoy dressing up in a uniform and pretending to be a real policeman. :o

No please dont close it, some of the coments on here are quite class had me pmsl.

ps pampel i must say your avatar, is well cool .living modern art i like it .

Edited by deon