Depositing A Third-party Cheque In My Thai Savings Account

How can I deposit a third-party cheque in my Thailand savings account?

The cheque is for payment of an odd part-time job. They told me that I should give them the name and ID-card copy of a Thai person for tax purposes and/or their convenience. Means that the name of my Thai friend is on the cheque, but I don't want to open a bank account for her or give her all that money. Can I just endorse it to myself and take it to the bank to deposit in my savings account??

Just take your friend to the bank and get her to cash it, then you can deposit the cash into your account.

Sounds easy enough, but she will ask for a good percentage of it; she's kind of my g/f and so far I managed to keep my 'donations' to her and her family 'quite low'. But seeing all that dosh in 'her' name will have her ask for a good part of that hart-earned money (me being the earner, mind you).. I see trouble ahead doing it this way - either giving her a good part of that money or getting involved into some arguments..

Sounds like you have bigger problems than depositing cheques. :D

Whatever. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't give anyone outside of my family fat cheques to cash in for me. :o

Would you really do that in the West? If so, maybe I can be your friend to cash in all your cheques via my bank account. :D

Seems that one cannot get any useful advice on this forum. The thing to do is contact my bank and ask them, rather than some bored expats via the Internet.. :D

Edited by 7

Now, now no need to be narky.

If your gf demands a fat commission is she a gf or business associate?

3rd party cheques are always a pain in the keester, anywhere. Funds to cover may be frozen, cheque can get lost passing through the system, fat charges can be deducted by every banking hand that touches it and so on.

Best move, go to the bank and get her to cash it. Give her a few baht or pocket the dosh and look for a new gf.

^ Why the arsey response? Its perfectly acceptable given your circumstance!

Why would the cheque be payable to someone elses name if you did the work?

To answer your question, i believe it will not be possible for you to bank the cheque into your own account.

A little more forward thinking next time maybe?

Seems that one cannot get any useful advice on this forum. The thing to do is contact my bank and ask them, rather than some bored expats via the Internet..

It seems you are beyond help - why accept such a check as payment if you did not know if you would be able to cash the check?

Why not return the check to your former employer and ask for cash?

Opening a bank account in her name is no hassle - it will cost you 300 Baht for the ATM card. How much comission were you looking at 'loosing'.

Is there any comeback to your 'friend' for the monies that they have been 'paid' but not declared as taxed income? Lucky you are in Thailand - in some countries this would be followed up.