Advice Please

This last year I have been on a retirement visa. I was under the impression from the stamp in my passport that I had 4 months remaining, not so, less than a month when I went to get stamped for my 3 monthly visit to the immigration office.This has left me in a situation whereby I haven't organised funds

or paperwork to be available to support this visa in time to allow me to renew.

The previous 2 years I was here on a Non immi B visa with multiple entries. This visa was good for one year but I had to do a visa run every 90 days.

I have today been to the local immigration office for the 2nd time to see if I can apply for a Non immi B multiple entry visa after the retirement one runs out. I could not get a specific reply as the guy has very limited english. All I could gather from the limited conversation was that I should go to Cambodia ( my nearest point ) and apply for it there.

My immediate concerns are, am I going to be granted this visa at the Cambodian checkpoint. or in fact any visa that will allow me back in same day?

I don't want to wait until that day and then find out I have a problem as I will be stuck in Cambodia not knowing anyone or my way around. Being female this is of some concern, from the safety angle.

If I find that I should leave the country and say return to my original country then I need to make arrangements now for a ticket, as I am fast running out of time.

Hopfully one of you will be able to assist as I cannot seem to find anything that covers the issue of going from a retirement visa to some other type, whilst staying in Thailand.

It appears you are currently on an annual extension of stay and you plan to change to a multiple-entry non-B visa because you did not replenish your Thai bank account in time to have 800k in the account for 3 months before a new application for retirement extension.

To get a multiple-entry non-B visa from a consulate in the region -- and probably also in your home country -- you need a work permit and a bunch of documents from your employer.

An alternative for you would be the following procedure:

1. Immediately transfer the necessary money into your Thai account to bring the balance to minimum 800k.

2. Before your current permission to stay expires, go to a nearby Thai consulate (avoid Cambodia) and get a single-entry tourist visa. Return to Thailand and get stamped in for 60 days.

3. If necessary, get a 30-day extension of stay on your tourist-visa entry.

4. With at least 21 days remaining on your permission to stay, go to the immigration office and apply for a change of visa to non-O (fee 2,000 Baht), then apply for an annual extension of stay for retirement (fee 1,900 Baht)

--

Maestro

We really do not know what you presently have, much less how four months figures into it. Is it

a. A non immigrant OA visa that you obtained for retirement in your home country? If multi entry and visa is still valid you can exit/return and obtain a new one year permitted to stay?

b. A multi entry non immigrant O visa and you stay 90 days, exit/return for another 90 days and you plane to obtain a one year extension of stay?

c. A one year extension of stay for retirement and your permitted to stay until date arrives within the month and you do not have to required 800k in your account?

d. As above 'c' but you have the 800k but it has not been in account 3 months?

Our guess is 'c' but there is no real paperwork involved with a retirement extension of stay - passport/departure card/account passbook/letter of account balance and the TM.6 form with 1,900 baht. So second guess is that you are unable to obtain the 800k and do not have pension/income that your Embassy can certify to meet the 800k level?

1. Singapore will issue a one year multi entry non immigrant O visa if you can show the 800k level of funds in any account worldwide.

2. B visas are not normally issued in the area unless you are working and have a work permit.

3. You have up until your current permitted to stay date to get finances ready/extend so if you are able to do it may well be worth your while. Many people have been able to extend without meeting the 3 month requirement if a second time so if that is your only problem be sure to try.

Thanks Maestro

You got the picture, I left myself short of time, I was thinking along the option lines and that will have to suffice I guess.

Interesting comments from the 2nd poster, similar to what I got from the immigration office. Need to be working or a bunch of papers for the Non Immi B, different to my experience of applying in my own country, I sent the application in through the travel agent said I wanted a 12 month Non immi B and I got it. No questions and no paperwork required to support finances, working etc . In fact I have never worked in Thailand.

I have never had much assistance from the immigration office in my area but then I don't make under the table payments, last time I was in there a european passed 5,000 Baht under the counter to the immigration officer and she gave him 5 star service and he got everything he wanted.