New Pattaya Mayor

monty

I cannot see how they will ever clean up the beach to a standard where tourists will flock to it. The water is filthy and it is filthy all the way up the coast to Bangkok and the Choa Praya river. To clean Pattaya beach you will have to clean alot more first.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the new policies to be implemented by Khun ittipon:

· environmental improvement

· the implementation of an effective water supply for the city and Kho Larn (Coral Island)

· a 12-year free education system

· low-cost housing for low income groups

· a new, improved traffic system

· a tramline transportation system

· flood prevention

· job opportunities to decrease poverty

· the eradication of Pattaya's red-light venue – Walking Street

· the establishment of a drug-observation and prevention centre

· the encouragement of ecotourism

· the construction of a sports centre

· the establishment of a tourism festival

· the encouragement of world-class entertainment

Source:

http://www.pattayadailynews.com/shownews.p...NEWS=0000005878

Only Walking St, this guy must be living a very sheltered life, What about Pattayaland, Boyz Town, Soi 6 with it's wall to wall 24/7 knocking shops, etc. :o

To be realistic there has been for some time now stories about how the building on the beach side of the road have been built illegally and city Hall is going to knock them down, I doubt that City Hall really intends to restore the beach, more likely some developer wants to turn Walking St into a very big shopping Mall. :D

BB

Can anyone confirm what my wife tells me that the literal meaning of ittipon means have power to do what you want? I would be intresting to know is this is correct or if she has missread his name? Thai anyone?

Ittaphon's dad was /is the criminal goddfather of chonburi/pattaya.

he is currently onthe run , believed to be in Cambodia.

Article from Nation from April 2006 gives some background

He isn't on the run anywhere because no one is actively looking for him. Try calling up the Bangsaan or Chonburi police and say you've spotted them and see what happens (they'll pretend to listen to you and take down your report, and then have a good chuckle at the farang before he's out the door). Did you notice how no one seemed to care who Ittiphon's father is when they voted for him?

:o

For the last few years, they just seem to be steadily killing off the nightlife scene. Walking

street is one of the more civilized areas. Already you can't hardly go walking down the beach

after dark, there are so many ladymen around they literally approach you in the bathroom at

the shopping mall,and every other unwanted place, it's ridiculous. Maybe pandering to the

constituents that farangs and their evil ways are leading to the demise of the kingdom is popular,

while ignoring all the real, actual problems like youth drug use and related crime.but again,

they just seem to be cutting off their nose to spite their face, no vision whatsoever. :o

You must be an attractive target for ladyboys. I've never had one approach me in a bathroom at any shopping mall.

well tropo, if you're travelling about with your filipina girlfriend it's unlikely the ladymen would approach you.

if however, you're unaccompanied, their advances can get to be a bit oppressive and i'm sure i'm not the only

one of that opinion. currently they seem to be working on the cobra gold boys. the shore briefings not adequate.

i'm also not an extremely large guy at a wiry 5'9" and 170 lbs. most of the ladymen being much bigger than me.

i was initially tolerant of their ways but there's too many of them here. i don't mean to generalize but the ones

here always creating problems. and i have had 5-6 of them try and draw me into a fight before.

Changing Walking Street is daft. Many of the Russians I run across seem to know one phrase in English: Take me to Walking Street. Walking Street is the Bourbon Street (New Orleans) of Asia. If anything, I would like to see it much more wild. More public nudity, please.

Perhaps the Mayor is going to take my oft repeated advice and build a new sin city out in the boonies. It will have a high wall and regular bus services. The police will meet each bus as it returns to Pattaya and check for drunkedness, drugs, obnoxious Brits, prostitutes, weapons. We, well behaved, law abiding aliens and Thais will then enjoy the good facilities that are already being introduced to Pattaya, clean beaches and sea, tranqil parks, and all the other good infrastructure that I am sure the good mayor is envisioning for this area of high potential.

Still pushing that fantasy??? :D

If it can be envisaged it can be done.

Perhaps the Mayor is going to take my oft repeated advice and build a new sin city out in the boonies. It will have a high wall and regular bus services. The police will meet each bus as it returns to Pattaya and check for drunkedness, drugs, obnoxious Brits, prostitutes, weapons. We, well behaved, law abiding aliens and Thais will then enjoy the good facilities that are already being introduced to Pattaya, clean beaches and sea, tranqil parks, and all the other good infrastructure that I am sure the good mayor is envisioning for this area of high potential.

Still pushing that fantasy??? :D

If You Build It They Will Come....

and come and come and come.........

:D:D

Still pushing that fantasy??? :o

Source: Jonathon Sanderson

They really do have some new demographics to work with. There is a burgeoning class of

seemingly affluent Russian visitors and they do seem to enjoy that area in the south end

of walking street. While the other asians and their tour buses are in north pattaya.

Some of the more pressing problems I see are the growing groups of undesirables who

come to the city to prey on the tourists. The attitude that you're a guest and must tolerate

any abuse they dish out while you're visiting isn't very conducive to tourism.

as always they claim they want to attract a better quality of family tourist but the atmosphere

that is provided can't be stomached by anyone but the most hardened s.e.a. veteran.

i humbly suggest they start cleaning up their own house first if they want positive change. :o

Still pushing that fantasy??? :o

Source: Jonathon Sanderson

"Imagination is everything. It is the preview of life's coming attractions" - Albert Einstein

I have observed that most of these couples and families are Russians who stay in cheap accomodation and spend very little money. This is because Pattaya is being marketed as a cheap package holiday destination in Russia. There's no way these Cheapie Vitalys could match the spending of the Brit, Yank and German guys who spend more in one night than a Russian family spends in a week. Also as soon as the Russians have discovered the nicer beach resorts like Koh Chang and Koh Samui they'll stop coming to Pattaya.

When it comes to the Russian market in Pattaya, you sir are absolutely clueless.

We shall look at the other items on his "to do" list...

I mean, it's a perfect illustration of the vacuity of thai politicians.

They promise everything... Better environment, better wages, better transport, better weather, better lottery winning tickets, better sex, better food, better stupidity, better som tam, better beer.

Even : better you.

Welcome to the idiocracy.

For sure, this guy will have a national career. Bangkok needs him. Thailand needs him !

I just say : respect. :o

Edited by cclub75

>The Pattaya tourists put up with it because there's no where else on earth like Pattaya. I

You forget Cuba . Clean beatches , lovely girls , no crime . but have big problem with internet.

Edited by justbob

Where's the attraction in a beachside resort that you can't swim at, if they clean up the water I could see it changing, but lets be real thats never going to happen.

This should get the award for Pattaya Forum post of the decade. Finally, someone with some common sense! :o

Where's the attraction in a beachside resort that you can't swim at, if they clean up the water I could see it changing, but lets be real thats never going to happen.

I wonder if there are many people like me wrt that issue. I love being at the shore; but I do not like to swim in salt water. My ideal resort would be on, or above the beach, with a swimming pool that faces the ocean, and has one of those "overflow" walls that makes you feel like it's part of the ocean beyond.

I just don't like the way the salt sticks to you when you come out of salt water, and you burn much more easily in salt water. Important for me, since I'm white as snow, and burn to a lobster red very quickly.

Being on a beach front is a great location, whether or not you like to swim in the water. As long as the sand is clean, and the area is without the obnoxious vendors, ladyboys, etc. that Pattaya's beachfront so uncomfortable for "normal" tourists; I think a beachfront resort, even without swimming in the ocean, can be a great success. Just my opinion.

Being on a beach front is a great location, whether or not you like to swim in the water. As long as the sand is clean, and the area is without the obnoxious vendors, ladyboys, etc. that Pattaya's beachfront so uncomfortable for "normal" tourists; I think a beachfront resort, even without swimming in the ocean, can be a great success. Just my opinion.

A beach resort where you can't swim, but there is plenty of adult entertainment is a fine idea, however, families with children want to swim in the ocean and are not going to frequent a beach where they can't go in.

Pattaya is going to stay just like it is! :o

Indeed, not mention - glass, sharp objects, rubbish, and used condoms on the beach itself.

I keep telling you to clean up after yourself, but do you listen ? Nooooooo ! Well, I'm not cleaning up after you (and I don't go to the beach very often anyways). :D

How much do you want to bet that, even if they were to move certain "elements" to a new location (lets say, Pong), that you would still see flocks of "family" tourists strolling through the area, kids in tow, gawking at the bars, girls, go-gos, etc ?

How long has the Red Light district been going on in Amsterdam ? Loads of tourists (including those ever pesky families with kids) meander through the area, gawking at the half (3/4, 4/5's) naked girls in the windows (and people whine about the girls in Pattaya). :o

Hawkers and touts pitch their wares to the families just as readily as the single folks.

I imagine once upon a time the beaches in Pattaya were quite nice. But then again, once upon a time you could rent a seaside house with a cook and a maid for $50 a month !

(An old story that seems to pop up once in awhile, especially when talking to new people in their early 20's and they find out you live in Thailand. Once in a while one of them will come up with that story about they know a guy who rented a house on the beach and had two women to do the cooking and cleaning (and "change his oil" every night) for $50 a month. I laugh at them and remind them that the Vietnam war ended before they were born.)

Indeed, not mention - glass, sharp objects, rubbish, and used condoms on the beach itself.

The few times I've been to the beach at the bottom of Pratumnak Soi 5 there's an old guy there that goes around with a trident and picks up all the leaves.

I suggested to the umbrella and drinks vendor that he might be better employed picking up the bits of glass and beer bottle tops that are around as stepping on a leaf will not hurt anyone.

Of course my advice was ignored. Last time I was there she had a bandaged foot from stepping on broken glass.

I love that Thai phrase 'som nam nar'. Dunno if she's got Mr Neptune on the lookout for glass yet though.

I have observed that most of these couples and families are Russians who stay in cheap accomodation and spend very little money. This is because Pattaya is being marketed as a cheap package holiday destination in Russia. There's no way these Cheapie Vitalys could match the spending of the Brit, Yank and German guys who spend more in one night than a Russian family spends in a week. Also as soon as the Russians have discovered the nicer beach resorts like Koh Chang and Koh Samui they'll stop coming to Pattaya.

When it comes to the Russian market in Pattaya, you sir are absolutely clueless.

The Royal Cliff Hotel regularly has over 80% Russian occupancy, and while many of them may have package deals, there is no way that the Royal Cliff is a cheap hotel.

If you stand in the lobby you will see just how affluent many of these Russians are.

Many of them them probably spend more to get into town than some of your cheap yobbo Brits spend on beer :o

They are also getting heavily into the property market.

Of course there are rich Russians around but the majority of Russians in Pattaya are cheap, clueless peasant types. Take a look at them piling onto the cheap ferry to Koh Lan, ragged and sunburnt. Abusing baht bus drivers is also a favourite pastime of these "quality" tourists, as is arguing with supermarket staff because they can't accept the laws relating to the sale of alcohol and arguing with restaurant staff because they can't accept the smoking law. Another is walking up and down Walking Street but never going in any bars. I saw one Russian guy outside the luxury/import car shop on Sukhumvit Road taking a photo of his wife standing next to a VW, a car he obviously thought was an amazing, exotic sight that had to be photographed. He completely ignored the Aston Martin a few metres away. Still, I'm sure these "quality tourists" can find something to do with their 1000 fake Rolexes once they get back to Russia.

Edited by edwardandtubs

would it be so hard to put in some drop kerbs for wheel chair user's and mums with prams

Ps i also think pattaya could do with cleaning up its image .

i best stop there i feel a short holiday coming on