Horrendous Visa Run

I am currently on a visa run to Malaysia. I booked a straight through ticket from Tong Sala for 950 baht. When I arrived in Surat I realised with horror that the company it had been booked through was one C... W... Tours run by a particularly unpleasant evil munchkin of a woman. I had vowed never to use her again after a spectacular rip off on my last Ranong trip. Whilst waiting for her to give me a transfer voucher, another girl was being persuaded into getting a return with her, which she managed to do in the end. When she asked me about my return journey, I politely declined saying that I needed to be at work in the morning and so would take the night bus from Had Yai (which she is unable to book as it is a government bus). On saying this the other girl demanded her money back as she too needed to be back at work asap. After this the aforementioned evil little munchkin suddenly decided that there were no seats left on the bus for us citing a mistake made by my KP travel agent. Shock horror. Needing to get out of the country and not able to stay another night I reluctantly gave in when she said that she could get me on the night boat (I had done this last year without a problem). Miraculously a seat then appeared for me and the other girl (she too had to give in) and we were finally on our way.

OK, so you live and you learn I thought. I will just make sure that my next run is not through her company (previously I had never known the name of her company).

I was ushered to the front of the minibus for the journey to Had Yai. I reclined the seat a bit and promptly fell asleep for about an hour. I had both feet planted firmly on the floor and was doing nothing that I could perceive would cause offence to anyone. I was then woken by the driver hitting me on the shoulder and motioning for me to put the chair up. Which I did. I then asked him why. He said "cannot sleep". I said fine, I will sleep with the seat up. He then said again "cannot sleep". I said "tammai?" he said "non mai dai". I said OK, can I go and sit in a free seat in the back so I can sleep then? At which point he let loose with a string of expletives, raised his hand to hit me and pulled the bus over to throw me out. He then appeared to change his mind when looking at the look of horrror on all the passengers faces and carried on driving whilst screaming "f*** you", "y** mer" and "this is my country not yours". I sat terrified for the next hour not daring to move until we stopped for food. The bus was mainly full of Thai women, and they all gave me sympathetic smiles and "mai pen lais" once we got off, but were not able to explain what had caused his outburst. Just saying he was "mai dee" and "baa". They ushered me to sit in the back and when the driver came back to start the car he looked furious at where I was sitting and demanded someone else sat next to him. Obviously no one wanted to but the only Thai man on the bus went forward in the end. It was with much relief that I got off at Had Yai. I managed to take his registration and a picture of him on my phone but was really shaken by the whole incident. I am not shaken easily but this guy was so obviously out of control I could have seen anything happening.

So my question is what can I do? I am so angry about firstly the way the travel agent treated us (especially as I have since found the minubus times have changed and it is impossible to get the night boat back - something she definitely would have known). And I am also so angry and shaken by the minibus driver. I know for a fact that this woman has been complained about many times but she is still operating and making a fortune. Everyone I know has a horror story about her and her scams. Should I go to the police about the driver or am I wasting my time and energy (it would mean a trip to Surat I am assuming). I will be seeing her on my way back, what can I say to her? I feel so helpless yet am so desperate to get some justice out of this situation, but don't want to create further stress for myself. Help!!

The thai driver was surely under jabaa or end of jabaa effect. Most of drivers use it to extend their driving efficence or just because addicted.

But sincerely I don't know what you could do to have same satisfaction. If Tourist Police would be more responsible, you could fill a report, but I don't believe with any effect. I feel very sorry for what happen to you.

The thai driver was surely under jabaa or end of jabaa effect. Most of drivers use it to extend their driving efficence or just because addicted.

But sincerely I don't know what you could do to have same satisfaction. If Tourist Police would be more responsible, you could fill a report, but I don't believe with any effect. I feel very sorry for what happen to you.

Totally my first thought about yabba, especially cos he stopped to use the toilet for about 20 minutes at the start of the journey. However for someone on amphetamines he managed to chuck quite a lot of food down his greedy throat when we stopped. Would definitely mention my suspicions if I went to the police though just cos it should make them prick up their ears in the current climate.

And thanks. I just am happy I wasn't some 18 year old gap yearer cos it would have left lasting negative feelings about Thailand. At last I know it's an isolated incident. At least for me.

what is jabba?

Meth-amphetamine popular with long distance drivers in Thailand. Also popular with youths. Highly addictive. Produces erratic and violent mood swings. Thai government does not take kindly to it and it's use and it was the trigger behind the deaths of 3000 drug dealers during Thaksin's famous anti-drugs sweep. Google yabba/jabba/yaba and Thailand for more info.

What do you really expect on these kinds of VR…service? safety, comfort…you are paying cheap price for cheap service …next time just fly, if it’s not in your budget you really need to ask yourself what are you doing working in Thailand ?

I would be very happy if No one used these visa services as it would make the roads a little safer for everyone

As to reporting this company….come on!! do you really believe anyone cares what you as a foreigner thinks, not to mention the possibility of the driver popping around to see you with his mates :o

What do you really expect on these kinds of VR…service? safety, comfort…you are paying cheap price for cheap service

***flame removed***

Someone gets shouted at and hit by a driver of a bus, complains about it and then told by you that he should have expected it because it was a cheap service.

And why shouldn't someone take a bus instead of a flight?

What do you really expect on these kinds of VR…service? safety, comfort…you are paying cheap price for cheap service …next time just fly, if it’s not in your budget you really need to ask yourself what are you doing working in Thailand ?

I would be very happy if No one used these visa services as it would make the roads a little safer for everyone

As to reporting this company….come on!! do you really believe anyone cares what you as a foreigner thinks, not to mention the possibility of the driver popping around to see you with his mates :D

Assuming you are the same terryp who posted this warning "Just so people know, as from Midnight Yesterday all check baggage with Air Asia will cost 30 Baht per item PER FLIGHT (if booked on-Line)" I am perplexed as to why me wanting to save around 12000 baht by taking the bus should cause you to be so outraged, when 30 baht is enough to incence you to post a topic it on it?? :o

• Like 1

What do you really expect on these kinds of VR…service? safety, comfort…you are paying cheap price for cheap service …next time just fly, if it's not in your budget you really need to ask yourself what are you doing working in Thailand ?

As to reporting this company….come on!! do you really believe anyone cares what you as a foreigner thinks, not to mention the possibility of the driver popping around to see you with his mates :D

Assuming you are the same terryp who posted this warning "Just so people know, as from Midnight Yesterday all check baggage with Air Asia will cost 30 Baht per item PER FLIGHT (if booked on-Line)" I am perplexed as to why me wanting to save around 12000 baht by taking the bus should cause you to be so outraged, when 30 baht is enough to incence you to post a topic it on it?? :o

Could you tell we the name of this compagny? :D

Could you tell we the name of this compagny? :o

Yep - didn't think we were allowed to do this but have seen someone else has so it's Chah Wang Tours. The lady is short, fat with curly hair and famous for meeting you off the night boat shouting "Ranong, Ranong". If you do the Burma trip with her she will charge you 600 baht for $10 and may not let you go unless you do it. She is a witch. Apparently loads of complaints have already been made about her. I am thinking of plastering her name and details all over KP as it's the only thing I can think of.

As to reporting this company….come on!! do you really believe anyone cares what you as a foreigner thinks, not to mention the possibility of the driver popping around to see you with his mates :o

I couldn't believe what I am hearing here. But it is pretty clear what you are saying. So if you're "paying cheap price for cheap service …" you would deserved to be abused and humiliated at ?

…next time just fly, if it’s not in your budget you really need to ask yourself what are you doing working in Thailand ?

Why?????

Good question.

Yeah, good question. Why ???? Answer forthcoming ?

Sorry to hear of the pathetic and disgusting treatment that was metred out to you by the driver. You know The driver would only do that kind of stuff to a westener. He wouldn't dare do it to another Thai or Asian. All Thais know they can treat Westeners in almost any disgusting manner they like if they chose to, because that's the general mindset of Thais about westeners. Its a national sport. And because of that there is absolutely nothing you can do about it, save warning other westeners and posting negative reports on the web for all to see. There's no excuse for the treatment you received and no way that it can be justified.

Mssabai, I am perplexed. Why go all the way there when you can take Julie's visa run to Satun in a day? Sure, you need to be in Samui early on the day you need to make the trip, but a night in Samui wouldn't kill you.

Could you tell we the name of this compagny? :o

Yep - didn't think we were allowed to do this but have seen someone else has so it's Chah Wang Tours. The lady is short, fat with curly hair and famous for meeting you off the night boat shouting "Ranong, Ranong". If you do the Burma trip with her she will charge you 600 baht for $10 and may not let you go unless you do it. She is a witch. Apparently loads of complaints have already been made about her. I am thinking of plastering her name and details all over KP as it's the only thing I can think of.

Does she have a tour office in Surat. Only years ago I used to do my monthly boarder bounce and get a mini bus down to the

boarder. We always stopped at this tour office in Surat and were told to go into this office where this angry lady would try and

sell us return journies and nights at hotels etc. Her way of doing this was getting you on your own in her office and feeding you

a load of rubbish, while the rest of the mini bus passengers were kept outside.

I fell for one of her sales the 1st time but never again after that.

Mssabai, I am perplexed. Why go all the way there when you can take Julie's visa run to Satun in a day? Sure, you need to be in Samui early on the day you need to make the trip, but a night in Samui wouldn't kill you.

Penang trip...not a border run. Next time it's the train down and the night bus back, don't worry - I have it all planned!

Does she have a tour office in Surat. Only years ago I used to do my monthly boarder bounce and get a mini bus down to the

boarder. We always stopped at this tour office in Surat and were told to go into this office where this angry lady would try and

sell us return journies and nights at hotels etc. Her way of doing this was getting you on your own in her office and feeding you

a load of rubbish, while the rest of the mini bus passengers were kept outside.

I fell for one of her sales the 1st time but never again after that.

Yeah that's her. I too fell for her stuff before and vowed never again, however hadn't realised the travel agent in KP had booked through her for this trip. She got the return journey out of me by blackmailing me (there would not be a seat on the minibus that I had already paid for unless I bought a return journey) and I just could not afford a night in Surat (neither the time nor the money) to wait for the next available minibus the following day.

Royally screwed over. I can suck that up though, it's more the behaviour of the driver that bothers me. Probably Mr Evil Little Munchkin by all accounts.

Penang trip...not a border run. Next time it's the train down and the night bus back, don't worry - I have it all planned!

Check Firefly, last time I spent 3000 baht for a return ticket.

…next time just fly, if it’s not in your budget you really need to ask yourself what are you doing working in Thailand ?

Why?????

Good question.

Yeah, good question. Why ???? Answer forthcoming ?

Just wanted to put this post on top of the pile.

In my experience of Thailand the rich people here are also very tight people, spending money on the girls but little els, why the hel_l should we take a plane when we can scrimp on the bus ?

Just because were scrimping on the bus dossent mean we are to be expected to take a beating. the last thing we want is to have to waste our money on medical expenses as most of us are to tight to have bought medical cover insurance.

Don't turn yourself into a victim.

Put it down to experience and learn from your mistakes. Really, the plane does take the strain and you are less likely to encounter the dross who feed off the lower end. They exist everywhere and only understand force which evidently you are incapable of offering. No shame there, just don't place yourself in a position where you can be so manipulated.

It's just life, not rocket science. Play the percentages and don't complain when you get it wrong, it's so whiney and unhelpful.

By the way, the train can get hit from the Pak Thai hassles so don't think it could be totally incident free......still, up to you.

Edited by pliny

Sorry to hear of the pathetic and disgusting treatment that was metred out to you by the driver. You know The driver would only do that kind of stuff to a westener. He wouldn't dare do it to another Thai or Asian. All Thais know they can treat Westeners in almost any disgusting manner they like if they chose to, because that's the general mindset of Thais about westeners. Its a national sport. And because of that there is absolutely nothing you can do about it, save warning other westeners and posting negative reports on the web for all to see. There's no excuse for the treatment you received and no way that it can be justified.

Not in my experience, bubba. What comes my way gets returned with interest. Thai take much more shit than most anyone I know and generally speaking I can't see it changing much. Perhaps your chip needs polishing?

Don't turn yourself into a victim.

Put it down to experience and learn from your mistakes. Really, the plane does take the strain and you are less likely to encounter the dross who feed off the lower end. They exist everywhere and only understand force which evidently you are incapable of offering. No shame there, just don't place yourself in a position where you can be so manipulated.

It's just life, not rocket science. Play the percentages and don't complain when you get it wrong, it's so whiney and unhelpful.

By the way, the train can get hit from the Pak Thai hassles so don't think it could be totally incident free......still, up to you.

Mmmm. Me unhelpful?? I certainly aint no victim, however I am a girl and so no, my force against that of a considerably larger Thai man already wound up into a violent craze, is no match. For this I apologise and I will in future accept the bad treatment metered out to me due to my fairer sex with good humour.

mssabai, you booked the trip through a travel agent here on the island? You should let him or her know about the crazed driver. And be sure to let the agent know that you are a long-term resident, not a tourist and that if this continues you will not be booking with their agency anymore.

Pliny I don't have a chip pal I just don't like some Thais thinking they can put any kind of crap on westeners. If Thais do it to Thais then that's their problem. They created their culture, so let them put up with the crap. Why should we westeners accept it? Just because we chose to live here doesn't mean we deserve to be treated like s**t. What happened to Thai hospitality? That's no way to treat a guest (maybe you think its OK though). You seem to come across as such a big brave hero and frown upon others who feel at a disadvantage in certain physical situations. The scumbag driver picking on a woman...lovely . And not one Thai sitting in the bus said a word in her defence. So, in your eyes they would be all chicken s**t as well I guess.

Pliny I don't have a chip pal I just don't like some Thais thinking they can put any kind of crap on westeners. If Thais do it to Thais then that's their problem. They created their culture, so let them put up with the crap. Why should we westeners accept it? Just because we chose to live here doesn't mean we deserve to be treated like s**t. What happened to Thai hospitality? That's no way to treat a guest (maybe you think its OK though). You seem to come across as such a big brave hero and frown upon others who feel at a disadvantage in certain physical situations. The scumbag driver picking on a woman...lovely . And not one Thai sitting in the bus said a word in her defence. So, in your eyes they would be all chicken s**t as well I guess.

The Thai's on the bus actually did try to help me. One took pictures of him, another gave me her phone number in case I wanted her to be a witness and they were all encouraging me to go to the police. However I do agree that if I was Thai I wouldn't have got the same treatment. He seemed to have a problem with farangs. Fair enough, some of them act like <deleted>, but I am not one of them.