Farangsand Just Shorts

Ive been on Samui for a couple of months now and am curious about the amount of Farangs who ride around the island wearing just shorts. Now Im far from a prude but I just dont get it. Some of these guys are so overweight that their bikes sag in the middle and they look disgusting. Secondly, take today, the weather is crap. Black, cold and wet yet these guys are still plodding about in just their shorts???? Lastly what happens wen they come a cropper. The skin loss s going to be horrendous and very very painful. So am I missing something or is this the uniform of the expat Farang here on Samui????? :o

Edited by H2oDunc

Ive been on Samui for a couple of months now and am curious about the amount of Farangs who ride around the island wearing just shorts. Now Im far from a prude but I just dont get it. Some of these guys are so overweight that their bikes sag in the middle and they look disgusting. Secondly, take today, the weather is crap. Black, cold and wet yet these guys are still plodding about in just their shorts???? Lastly what happens wen they come a cropper. The skin loss s going to be horrendous and very very painful. So am I missing something or is this the uniform of the expat Farang here on Samui????? :D

You mean like your avatar??? :o

The skin loss s going to be horrendous and very very painful. So am I missing something or is this the uniform of the expat Farang here on Samui????? :o

It's their skin, isn't it?

Would you maybe suggest full leathers, boots and integral helmet?

The skin loss s going to be horrendous and very very painful. So am I missing something or is this the uniform of the expat Farang here on Samui????? :o

It's their skin, isn't it?

Would you maybe suggest full leathers, boots and integral helmet?

Obviously never had a run in with the tarmac then my friend. I spend a lot of time at the ferry terminal and I get to see all to often the results of riding round with no protection.

Not suggesting the above at all though when I leave the island I do wear thick motorcycle leather trousers an armoured jacket and UK full face skid lid.

What about the driving round when its pouring down with rain????? is it a case of look at me im an expat???

Just dont get it????

PS Ive never come across an integral helmet in all my years of biking. Is it something new????

Obviously never had a run in with the tarmac then my friend.

I had... using a non-motor driven vehicle...but then it all grew back!

Not suggesting the above at all though when I leave the island I do wear thick motorcycle leather trousers an armoured jacket and UK full face skid lid.

Good on you, being an example for all! But most won't bring this kind of gear for holidays...

PS Ive never come across an integral helmet in all my years of biking. Is it something new????

"This invention relates to an integral crash-helmet for motorcyclists, car-drivers, to be used on roads and on all terrains, provided with such means as to allow for its transformation into a "Jet"-like open helmet, and vice-versa, according to the needs and the types of utilization.

As is known, many types of protective helmets are available today for motocyclists and other users. Generally, they are constituted by a rigid cap, usually from suitably chosen plastic material, composite materials and the like, provided in the inside with a protective padding, for instance from expanded polystyrene, and by a comfort lining. The cap wraps around the head, leaving open, in some cases, the part corresponding to the face and the chin, while in other cases said cap is provided with a frontal chin and mouth protector. In this case, the helmet is said to be integral or closed and may have a transparent liftable visor. ...."

Source:

click here:

Ive been on Samui for a couple of months now and am curious about the amount of Farangs who ride around the island wearing just shorts.

So am I missing something or is this the uniform of the expat Farang here on Samui????? :D

It all start back home with the parents of the shirtless and the education they 'consumed'......or not at all.... :o

LaoPo

same on phuket, H2oDunc. and now im in bali, its the same here.

and its not really all that hot!

and pretty much everywhere else where its a tourist area...what is wrong with that.....its all very well being a expat on samui but lets try and remember that the guys who are driving round with no top and helmet on have probably spent the other 50 weeks saving up to enjoy yourself holiday...

Next people will be moaning that there are holiday makers

and pretty much everywhere else where its a tourist area...what is wrong with that.....its all very well being a expat on samui but lets try and remember that the guys who are driving round with no top and helmet on have probably spent the other 50 weeks saving up to enjoy yourself holiday...

Even if it is a tourist area,in my opinion this is mostly confined to the beach & immediate surrounding areas.Why would you drive on the main road,walk into a bank,walk into a major shopping centre or government office without proper attire.To me this just goes to show lack of respect.

Would you do this in your own home country?I doubt it very much.

Even if it is a tourist area,in my opinion this is mostly confined to the beach & immediate surrounding areas.Why would you drive on the main road,walk into a bank,walk into a major shopping centre or government office without proper attire.To me this just goes to show lack of respect.

The Thais, outside of tourist areas, really hate it, too. It's an affront to the culture, and makes middle-aged to old guys look absolutely ridiculous in their eyes (picture a middle-aged-to-older guy skipping down the sidewalk with a lollipop in hand; that's the equivalent of what they see.*)

*...of course, for westerners, that mental picture may conjure up thoughts of other underlying problems, too.... :o

Edited by toptuan

The Thais, outside of tourist areas, really hate it, too. It's an affront to the culture, and makes middle-aged to old guys look absolutely ridiculous in their eyes (picture a middle-aged-to-older guy skipping down the sidewalk with a lollipop in hand; that's the equivalent of what they see.*)

*...of course, for westerners, that mental picture may conjure up thoughts of other underlying problems, too.... :o

SO then Thai men really find it disgusting when they see a topless women on the beach... it offends them ?

Tourists in general anywhere bring a large amount of income to the local communities to which they visit. Maybe not the best idea to impose such limitations, could be off putting and did not think Samui was so busy it could choose this path.I think very often thais view such behaviour as just being silly along with many other things visitors to their countries do. Of course local culture to be respected but maybe best not to forget that people are on holiday and enjoying themselves building happy memories and would maybe return and spend more.

....So am I missing something or is this the uniform of the expat Farang here on Samui????? :D

Nope, I don't think you are missing anything - its just, as you say, the "farang uniform" for some.......

Though by "expat" I presume you refer to people living in thialand, as oppose to just holiday makers, or long stay holiday makers? Not being an expat myself, but being a long term holiday maker in the past (3-6 motnhs at a time sort of thing), I can tell you that after a relatively short time, I acclimatise to the climate, and to be honest, I often find it chilly in the evenings...... the expats driving around in shorts and flip-flops, in the strictest sense of the word "expat" i.e those living in Samui et al, then the look is a bit ridiculous, and the alot of the older guys do look a bit daft, trying to hold onto their youth..... but at the same time, it is a tourist resort, and they are not realyl doing any harm to anyone. If they insists on going into banks, or other formal / semi formal places in beach wear, then it is a little disrespectful and shows lack of consideration for others whom it may offend..... however, things like spitting, picking your nose, being loud and leery, bad language, bla bla bla...... that is equally offensive to others, if not more so.

For the true holiday maker - the week to 10 day stopovers - well I mean let them off, they're on hols.....

Basic bottom line - if an expat wants to drive around, looking like a clown or beached whale, then so be it..... doesn't bother me to that extent, although I must admit, I would prefer to see a t-shirt of some shape or description....... as far as the ladies, be they fat thin young or old, I would have the same attitude - as much as I like looking at the 20 somethings in scanty bikini's :o - be the black, white, asian or otherwise..... so long as they are in shape...... and I'm sure the ladies will say the same about the men.

I'm from Rome (Italy) and always during my life in town I have seen many "tourists" walking without shirt, attracting many despicable glances from the romans (and same ticket from the police).

Actually the sight of a pale white nordic is not one of the best view and, by the way, if you go in Rome, do like the romans...

I just think is a matter of education.

Could a reason be that these people are on Holiday that, on a Cold Day, is warmer than their own Country on the hottest day of the year ???

Just a thought of course.. :o

Interesting point this. Some years ago my wife and I went to the 'costa del sol' in febuary, we were walking down the street in t-shirts and shorts much to the amusment of the locals who were wearing feather-down jackets and sweaters like it was cold - we were sweating cobs!!! :D