Growing Cassava In Thailand

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi……teerak68 (I wish I didn’t have to call you that :whistling: )

No problem with your English.

Those figures should be understood within the context of the post. Sheet 1 was outlining a worst case scenario with a lower price for tubers and higher costs than I’ve ever experienced. Sheet 3 was reflecting my actual costs and my forecasted price for 2010/11 season tubers. The purpose of the spreadsheet was to assist anyone considering starting cassava cropping.

I’ve recently been getting 3,400 baht per tonne (no deductions) – the price has temporally dropped to 3,360 (temporary glut at our local starch factories) but is expected to rise within a few days to 3,500 baht per tonne.

If oil costs continue at current levels or increase, I personally expect next season’s harvest to reach at least 4,000 baht. If oil returns to 2010 values, I anticipate tuber prices of 2,500–3,000 baht per tonne (I expect less cassava mealybug damage this year in Isaan and perhaps a reduced demand by China). Just my guess though. Personally, I’m going to lock in the current high price by harvesting my “one-year” tubers now (i.e. those that I had intended harvesting at the end of this year).

Rgds

Khonwan

PS. It is very hit and miss for me getting an Internet connection this year – awaiting a new cell-site coming to my village soon; don’t know when I’ll get this cut & pasted into a post online!

KhonWan,

Thank you reply,

(You nevr called me... 555! I'm a manjap.gif)

Hi……teerak68 (I wish I didn't have to call you that :whistling: )

No problem with your English.

Those figures should be understood within the context of the post. Sheet 1 was outlining a worst case scenario with a lower price for tubers and higher costs than I've ever experienced. Sheet 3 was reflecting my actual costs and my forecasted price for 2010/11 season tubers. The purpose of the spreadsheet was to assist anyone considering starting cassava cropping.

I've recently been getting 3,400 baht per tonne (no deductions) – the price has temporally dropped to 3,360 (temporary glut at our local starch factories) but is expected to rise within a few days to 3,500 baht per tonne.

If oil costs continue at current levels or increase, I personally expect next season's harvest to reach at least 4,000 baht. If oil returns to 2010 values, I anticipate tuber prices of 2,500–3,000 baht per tonne (I expect less cassava mealybug damage this year in Isaan and perhaps a reduced demand by China). Just my guess though. Personally, I'm going to lock in the current high price by harvesting my "one-year" tubers now (i.e. those that I had intended harvesting at the end of this year).

Rgds

Khonwan

PS. It is very hit and miss for me getting an Internet connection this year – awaiting a new cell-site coming to my village soon; don't know when I'll get this cut & pasted into a post online!

The growing of Cassava makes interesting reading on this forum. I'm starting to think more about suggesting my wife's family increase their margins by planting Cassava rather than rice each year. After reading the past posts am I close in my assumptions that the yields, SP/meton and margins are as follows after all costs are taken off?:

Yield: Up to 4 metric tonne per Rai.

Growing period: 18 months.

Selling Price: 3,500 per Meton (Approx:)

Turn Over Per Rai: 14,000 Baht (over 18 months)

Profit Margin: 60% Approx: (Based on previous posters spreadsheet)

Net Profit Per Rai: 8,400 Baht (over 18 Months)

Net profit Per Rai: 5,599 Baht (Annually)

30 Rai: 167,970 Baht Per Year Profit

60 Rai: 335,940 Baht Per Year Profit

100 Rai 559,900 Baht Per Year Profit ......etc, etc,,

If accurate then it looks a better option than keep growing rice each year.

Hi Jay-uk

There are several errors in your post - the reality is much better than your figures. Before I correct them, please confirm that you intend to grow cassava on rice paddy. If so, you are out of luck since the tubers would rot.

Rgds

Khonwan

Hi Jay-uk

There are several errors in your post - the reality is much better than your figures. Before I correct them, please confirm that you intend to grow cassava on rice paddy. If so, you are out of luck since the tubers would rot.

Rgds

Khonwan

Hi Jay-uk

You should be able to harvest 4 tons after 12 months so making around 8000Baht/rai/year.

If you leave it to 18 months you should get at least 6-7 tons/rai for very little additional expenditure.

Having said that 18 months is really two years as you have to wait for about 6 months (for the rains to return) before planting again.

Steve

Hi Jay-uk

I received your PM but will post my reply here to ensure best use of my time.

Good to hear that your fields are deemed suitable for cassava. From your PM you now know that 4 tonnes per rai should normally be possible within one year (not 18 months). In fact, many farmers I personally know report up to 7 tonnes per rai within one year. 10 tonnes might be doable with irrigation. I have fields that yield only 3.5 tonnes per rai (7 over “two years”) and fields that yield over 6 tonnes per rai within one year (12 over “two years”). 4 tonne is a good assumption. One year cassava is normally harvested between 8 to 11 months after planting.

I normally favour two-year cassava, whereby the tubers are harvested after 18 months (sometimes up to 22 months). I find that the yield is double (or near enough) that of the one-year tubers but the profit is higher since the cultivation costs are half that of two seasons of one-year crops. I also prefer two-year cycles (where half my crops are in their first year and the other half are in their second year) because

• I always have a good constant supply of fresh trees available for planting …and for selling at a premium in the months when trees are scarce

• My trees are mature during the dry season when mealybugs attack and therefore more resilient

• I can rotate with mungbeans without losing a season of cassava

Yes, current selling price of tubers is around 3,500 baht per tonne. Note that whilst I believe that cassava will continue to fetch more than 2,500 baht per tonne, it has only ever exceeded 2,500 baht this season.

Your profit figures would be near-enough if you were renting land and tractor work but much better if you have your own land and tractor. 8 tonnes per rai per two years (with no tractor or land rental) @3,500 baht results in a net profit to me of 23,000 baht (annualized to 11,500 baht) so I have a profit margin of 82% (my actual unit costs, your sales price).

I also have additional profit from mungbeans (between harvest and replanting of cassava) and from tree-stem sales.

Good luck, you’ve chosen a great crop.

Rgds

Khonwan

PS. Sorry for the delay: phone/internet connection difficulties.

This post is prompted by a phone conversation with Somo a couple of days ago. These are the products I use. I have no financial interest in them by way of shares, commissions, or anything else.

At planting time we cut the stems into setts with circular saws (powered by Kubota walk-behind tractors). We immerse a bundle of freshly cut setts into a concrete-mixing basin filled with 80 litres of solution for ten minutes prior to planting. The solution comprises 10g of Dantosu (drop the “u” in Thai) per 20 litres of water and 20-30ml of Tekimen per 20 litres of water. We initially mix four 20-litre tanks then pour into the basin. We use the same solution many times in the same day of planting, simply topping up with additional 20-litre tanks of solution.

Dantosu is pesticide to prevent mealybugs and other nasty critters. It can also be sprayed on to the cassava trees but I’m against this since this pesticide also kills the mealybug predator: the newly introduced (to Thailand) Lopezi wasp. Dantosu costs around 1,720 baht per 500g bottle. It is also available in small boxes of 2.5g x10 foils.

Tekimen is a solution of micro-nutrients containing MgO 0.6%, CaO 0.4%, Fe 0.12%, Mn 0.08%, Cu 0.05%, Zn 0.05%, B 0.03% and Mo 0.05%. A 1-litre bottle costs 380 baht. These nutrients will often also be provided with complete chemical fertilizers but I like to add them at this stage as a low cost supplement…particularly zinc (Zn).

I’ve previously posted on Sumisoya – the pre-emergence weedkiller. The chemical name is flumioxazin but I understand that it is only available under the proprietary name Sumisoya. It can be purchased in 100g foils (560 baht now) or in a small box of 5g x12 foils (last year or so: 320 baht). One 5g foil is simply added to a knapsack sprayer full of water. I normally purchase the 100g foils then weigh out 66g to be mixed with 200 litres of water. 200 litre solution suffices 3 ⅓ rai (3 tanks per 10 rai). I spray within 3 days of planting the setts. The ground should not be bone dry – a light covering of morning dew is sufficient though. Unless washed away by rain just after spraying, the ground should remain weed-free for 3-4 months. At the end of this period, a solution of 50/50 Sumisoya/paraquat or Sumisoya/glyphosate should again be sprayed. I use motorized sprayers immediately after planting (no damage whatsoever to the setts along as not yet budding) and hand-pump sprayers at 3-4 months to avoid leaf burn. This is my third year using Sumisoya.

All three products are manufactured by the Japanese company, Sumitomo. You may find them available at your local Sahagon (government established agricultural cooperative). If you need the supplier’s phone number, let me know.

For chemical fertilizer, I use 15-5-35 retailing around 950 baht per 50kg bag. I apply 2 bags per rai. Sometimes as ½ bag prior to raising ridges followed by ½ bag one month after planting followed by 1 bag three months after planting. At other times I skip application prior to ridging (usually because I’ve forgotten or am pressed for time) so apply 1 bag one month after planting and 1 bag three months after planting.

Rgds

Khonwan

post-38686-0-87441800-1300628891_thumb.j

post-38686-0-99028000-1300629630_thumb.j

Correction to above post: Dantosu: 5g per 20 litres if immersing setts (as above), 5-10g per 20 litres if spraying. Spraying may well be needed when standing stems prior to planting – some of my neighbours have had their standing stems attacked by mealybugs.

Rgds

Khonwan

Hi Jay-uk

I received your PM but will post my reply here to ensure best use of my time.

Good to hear that your fields are deemed suitable for cassava. From your PM you now know that 4 tonnes per rai should normally be possible within one year (not 18 months). In fact, many farmers I personally know report up to 7 tonnes per rai within one year. 10 tonnes might be doable with irrigation. I have fields that yield only 3.5 tonnes per rai (7 over “two years”) and fields that yield over 6 tonnes per rai within one year (12 over “two years”). 4 tonne is a good assumption. One year cassava is normally harvested between 8 to 11 months after planting.

I normally favour two-year cassava, whereby the tubers are harvested after 18 months (sometimes up to 22 months). I find that the yield is double (or near enough) that of the one-year tubers but the profit is higher since the cultivation costs are half that of two seasons of one-year crops. I also prefer two-year cycles (where half my crops are in their first year and the other half are in their second year) because

• I always have a good constant supply of fresh trees available for planting …and for selling at a premium in the months when trees are scarce

• My trees are mature during the dry season when mealybugs attack and therefore more resilient

• I can rotate with mungbeans without losing a season of cassava

Yes, current selling price of tubers is around 3,500 baht per tonne. Note that whilst I believe that cassava will continue to fetch more than 2,500 baht per tonne, it has only ever exceeded 2,500 baht this season.

Your profit figures would be near-enough if you were renting land and tractor work but much better if you have your own land and tractor. 8 tonnes per rai per two years (with no tractor or land rental) @3,500 baht results in a net profit to me of 23,000 baht (annualized to 11,500 baht) so I have a profit margin of 82% (my actual unit costs, your sales price).

I also have additional profit from mungbeans (between harvest and replanting of cassava) and from tree-stem sales.

Good luck, you’ve chosen a great crop.

Rgds

Khonwan

PS. Sorry for the delay: phone/internet connection difficulties.

Hi Khonwan

Thank you and others for your replies which I find most helpful. Learning about this may take time but the feedback looks very promising so far. All the best.

Jay

Another question I have is would it still be profitable to rent a piece of land for growing Cassava or does the outlay renting kill the project? If yes, then what are renting costs per rai approx: as there may be less exposure financially than buying additional land while learning about farming Cassava in the early stages. There may also be land available where you rent with option to buy as you expand.

Cheers.

Jay

Hi Jay

I would absolutely recommend renting land rather than purchasing. Land rental in my village (no water) is around 1,200 baht per rai. Most folk on this forum report much cheaper rates, around 500-600 baht. You should expect to pay a higher than average rent if you want to secure rented land. Why? Not simply because you are non-Thai: if I had a neighbour offering me 1,200 baht per rai rent and a stranger (Thai or non-Thai) were offering only the same, I’d prefer to rent to my neighbour. Demand for rented land outstrips supply.

Cost of land in my village is around 35,000 baht per rai, and that is for Sor Por Kor land (with all the risk that involves!); I bought my 200 rai many years ago in small lots costing 4,450-7,000 per rai, before it became Sor Por Kor. Rents are therefore very cheap in comparison with land costs these days.

From memory, you can register rental contracts with the Amphur where the contract is for at least three years and the land is chanote. This provides maximum protection. If those conditions cannot be met, a simple rental contract normally suffices. Note: whilst Sor Por Kor land is indeed often rented, and simple contracts drawn up (though not at the Amphur) for this, this is technically risky since this title of land is not allowed to be rented. I have had at least one other forum member in the past inform me that this is ok but, in the course of conversation on another matter at my Amphur this month, the officer affirmed that rental of Sor Por Kor land breaks the regulations and can lead to forfeiture of the land (which confirms what I posted some years ago on this forum). Despite that, rental of Sor Por Kor land still seems to be the norm.

Rgds

Khonwan

• 3 weeks later...

My wife rented some Sor Por Kor land (11 Rai) for 5 years for ฿15,000 considering they wanted ฿500,000 to buy the land my wife figured ฿15,000 for 5 years was cheap and hopefully one crop of cassava will pay for it so little risk even if they take back the land after one year. The lease isn't registered at the Amphor, but it is registered with the Pia Ban which holds some weight.

Thats a good price. 11 rai for 5 years for 15k. About 270 baht/rai/year

Rate in Chayapoum is not less than 500b/rai/year soshe did well.

3 years ago I rented 15 rai for 5 years for a total of 35k and have more than got my money back.

Asking prices to buy land are getting absurd.15-20k was normal but in 2 years this has jumped to

50/60k which even with better cassava prices doesn't make economic sense as it would about 10 years to get your money back. And that for a plot of land you have no legal right to!

Happy New Year:)

How is everyone doing with cassava mealybug this year?

This should be the worst month, but with the release of the parasitic wasp last year maybe things are different...?

Would be interested in any reports.

In my area of Chayapoum mealybug reappeared about a month ago but hasn't spread everywhere.

Before planting evryone is soaking stems in the recomended chemicals before planting and that seems to be working

as the newly planted stuff looks free of the bugs. With the rains coming hopefully they will soon disappear again.

• 4 weeks later...

Price of cassava going down down down. Last week it was 3.15 yesterday 2.8 today 2.7 in the plant just east of Kalasin. Kaowan, a question for you. My wife's cassava has been in the ground a year now, and we would normally harvest this month, but what if we cut the tops off and sold the stems and then harvested in October, would the stems grow back enough by then to give us stems for replanting? Thanks George.

5 month old stems would likely be very poor; 17 month old stems are also risky. Sell all trees then harvest Feb-May 2012. Alternatively, hold enough money back from sale of trees in order to harvest in October and buy back trees.

Rgds

Khonwan

Correct (though probably better than 5-mth stems). Your situation demonstrates one of my reasons for planting split 2-year crops: I always have trees available to me for planting and re-planting (i.e. for replacing non-performing or damaged setts).

Hi George.

If you have a market for your stems then sell them all now -a nice bonus.

They will grow back fine. You wouldn't want to replant next October as that is the start of the dry season.

You could however harvest 2/3 of your fields in October/November and keep 1/3 until the following April when the stems will be perfect for replanting.

• 1 month later...

I want to do the 18-20 crop cycle and want to plant w/i the next 2 weeks if I can . Did check on the various contributions reg varieties but did not find any specific response as to which variety maybe better suited for the double crop cycle -or does it matter ?

We are near Udon and will use Rayong 7 or Rayong 72 if I can get the stems . Hardly anybody harvests now -thou there are a few depararte souls who harvest after 3-4 month . One local factory is open and offers 2.2 Baht ( 30 %)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mobaan. I doubt it matters too much as to choosing a variety specifically for 18-20 months; I’m not aware of any research. For my farm, I like Huay Bong 60 regardless of the planned time frame.

Hi IsaanAussie. I have processed cassava chips several years ago for my own cattle-feed (as per my photo in my OP). I did this only once before realising that it was cheaper, easier, and much less risky just to sell my fresh tubers to the processors and buy dried chips direct from other nearby farmers for the same price (or less since I was transporting) as they sell to the processors. I’ve written 2 or 3 posts on the economics of this and have now managed to persuade most of my neighbours to sell only fresh tubers rather than doing the work of the processors only to reduce their (i.e. the farmer’s) profit. I should point out, though, that we do not have starch factories nearby. The chip-drying processors can make a profit only by transporting the chips by trailer-lorries to factories or much further to port, usually on a pre-contracted quota basis. An inexperienced processor not possessing a good understanding of basic maths can easily make a loss, as did one of my three purchasers last season.

I was considering, just a few months ago, to expand into this by concreting up to 15 rai, purchasing a trailer-lorry, and installing a computerised weighing-scales but, I really don’t need the attendant worries; I’m satisfied with my life as is; the local cooperative is planning to trade chips to reduce the profit margin of the processors – good on them!

Hi pj123. I have also written on the use of the whole aerial part of the cassava tree a couple of times before, including in message 53 of this thread ( http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/188328-growing-cassava-in-thailand/page__view__findpost__p__2049132 ):

“Cassava root is very high in energy but very low in protein (no more than 2%). Chop and sun-dry (2-3 days to remove cyanide) the tree part of the plant for an excellent high protein for your pigs. The leaves are typically 25% protein, petioles 20%, stems 17%. You will probably be able to collect these for free after cassava farmers harvest their trees (the branches, petioles and leaves are just left in the fields) though a wiser farmer would charge you since this waste should be ploughed in to return nutrients to the soil.”

I was making my own cattle feed (with a concrete mixer), around 10 years ago, comprising mostly of the entire cassava plant but with additional supplements to form a calculated balanced feed. I also fed dried cassava leaves to ducks I was breeding a few years ago. I did not get around to making pig feed in the time I grew pigs as the nutritional requirements are more demanding, though I would have done so had I continued with pigs.

I now have no livestock (other than young Giant Mekong Catfish for my own pleasure) so now do only as all other local farmers do with their leaves: leave them on the land to return the nutrients to the ground; we have no purchasers for the leaves.

Rgds

Khonwan

Ps. Petioles are the part that the leaves are immediately attached to.

How is everyone doing with cassava mealybug this year?

This should be the worst month, but with the release of the parasitic wasp last year maybe things are different...?

Would be interested in any reports.

Hi Robroy,

I would like to offer you a test, if your cassava are infected by mealy bugs. I am selling a product called SUPERGREEN whicht consists of 100 % natural Dolomite (kind of Limestone). The particles are in micrometer size (average size 6 micrometer). The particles can penetrate the leaves and are accellerating Photosynthesis by about 40 % = better growth, more harvest. Our tests show as well a significant reduction of mealy bugs on cassava after spraying the leaves. The reason could be, that the mealy bugs destroy their "teeths" due to the micronized particles they eat and starve of hunger. Experienced farmers report that the mealy bugs fall off the leaves but come back about 3 weeks later.

As mealy bugs do not like strong plants, they should not infest the plants as much as they do with weak and "watery" plants.

I could send you some samples to do a trial. If you let me know your address, I will send the samples immediately. For your first information, I am attaching some interesting information (1 in Thai, if your helpers need to know how to apply SUPERGREEN).

Application of SUPERGREEN with a machine sprayer (Kapsak or other spraying machines). Mix 20 liter of water with 80 gram SUPERGREEN (1 Sample content is about 50 g), spray at least 40 liters on 1 Rai. Try to spray tye upper leaves of the Cassava plants from below (most of the Stomata (pores) of the leaf are on the bottom side of the leaves. Second application after 4 weeks.

Have a nice weekend

Werner Kraeutler

Megagrow Co. Ltd.,

Nonthaburi

12 pages Information sheet SUPERGREEN.pdf

Calcium_Nutrition_in_plants.pdf

LeporelloThai Version 2.0. 18 november 2010.pdf

Khonwan,

Thanks for your response I will read more of your input on the thread to learn more. I have no intention of growing cassava but will buy tubers for pig feed trials. I have a motorised slicer and will cut and dry them on site.

I agree with your thoughts completely on the economics, well said sir. To be feasible I need to produce the energy component/s of the feed cheaply and in volume. As I have limited land to grow crops most will have to be purchased at this stage. Early days at this stage.

Isaan Aussie

Isaan Aussie

Have a read at my post http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/254893-to-dry-or-not-to-dry-cassava/page__view__findpost__p__2641515 ; you will probably save money just buying the already dried chips direct from any neighbouring farmer still doing this… preferably from one drying on concrete.

Store the dry chips in any dry location and you can keep them for ages. No need for airtight containers; any mould on aged tapioca chips will not be toxic to your pigs.

Rgds

Khonwan

Hi Robroy,

I would like to offer you a test, if your cassava are infected by mealy bugs. I am selling a product called SUPERGREEN whicht consists of 100 % natural Dolomite (kind of Limestone). The particles are in micrometer size (average size 6 micrometer). The particles can penetrate the leaves and are accellerating Photosynthesis by about 40 % = better growth, more harvest. Our tests show as well a significant reduction of mealy bugs on cassava after spraying the leaves. The reason could be, that the mealy bugs destroy their "teeths" due to the micronized particles they eat and starve of hunger. Experienced farmers report that the mealy bugs fall off the leaves but come back about 3 weeks later.

As mealy bugs do not like strong plants, they should not infest the plants as much as they do with weak and "watery" plants.

I could send you some samples to do a trial. If you let me know your address, I will send the samples immediately. For your first information, I am attaching some interesting information (1 in Thai, if your helpers need to know how to apply SUPERGREEN).

Application of SUPERGREEN with a machine sprayer (Kapsak or other spraying machines). Mix 20 liter of water with 80 gram SUPERGREEN (1 Sample content is about 50 g), spray at least 40 liters on 1 Rai. Try to spray tye upper leaves of the Cassava plants from below (most of the Stomata (pores) of the leaf are on the bottom side of the leaves. Second application after 4 weeks.

Have a nice weekend

Werner Kraeutler

Megagrow Co. Ltd.,

Nonthaburi

Would be interesting to know the price of your product and if you have test results for cassava tubor production.

Archived