List Of Favourite Restaurants In Phuket

donna

Tried a place called "Raya House" the other night in Phuket Town. Very vintage inside with old-style decor. It's very Thai (I was one of only a few foreigners there) and has some very good food. The specialty is the crab curry but be warned - it is very spicy unless you tell them otherwise. However it has the biggest pieces of crab I've ever seen in a curry. They also have this braised pork belly dish that was awesome. It is a bit more expensive than the normal fare, but you get what you pay for. The two of us had 3 dishes (crab curry, braised pork belly, and penang moo) and it was just under 1000 baht. Highly recommended.

• Like 1

Can anyone reccomend a "decent" sushi restaurant here in Phuket? And not the type sold at markets or located in a Tesco site. Dying for some salmon avocado sushi/sashimi again!

See if Banyan Tree Phuket (in Laguna Phuket) still has their Japanese cuisine offerings. Very old sushi chef from Kyushu and the most authentic sushi & Japanese fare I've had in Phuket. It's the only place I'd recommend - I lived in Japan for many years before relocating here, and I find places such as Fuji, Zen, etc terrible.

Can anyone reccomend a "decent" sushi restaurant here in Phuket? And not the type sold at markets or located in a Tesco site. Dying for some salmon avocado sushi/sashimi again!

See if Banyan Tree Phuket (in Laguna Phuket) still has their Japanese cuisine offerings. Very old sushi chef from Kyushu and the most authentic sushi & Japanese fare I've had in Phuket. It's the only place I'd recommend - I lived in Japan for many years before relocating here, and I find places such as Fuji, Zen, etc terrible.

Cheers.

Will have a look and report back if worth it.

• Like 1

Banyan Tree would be quite expensive, I think.

Yea was thinking the same, but hey if you gotta crave then I guess I have no choice.

Gee I miss the good old sushi train, If I had the cash would think of starting one of those here.

Have you tried "SUSHI" at Bake/Pasta Flame at the Laguna entrance? Try it.

It is good I take it? I rode past there today and contemplated stopping (didn't see sushi though), yet kept going presuming it was another tourist trap.

Can't remember the last time that I had a traditional Sunday roast, however today and by chance, had quite a good one at Ao Yon on Cape Panwa. There's a small bar known as 'The Museum', near to the bridge at Ao Yon, which doesn't really do food apart from a single choice Sunday roast ( today it was roast beef, I believe next week it's pork). Very limited seating, and the place itself was created by a couple of local expat sailing types and has a 'club' type atmosphere (informal and welcoming). Probably can seat no more than 20 or so people (outside, but shaded), with drinks prices very reasonable and the roast lunch 250 baht. I think you have to book now as it's getting popular (sorry, don't have the phone number). Great spot, across the road from the beach.

post-62520-0-94609800-1383472756_thumb.j

post-62520-0-80808700-1383472771_thumb.j

• Like 1

Has anyone tried Sala Mexical, in the last 2 months??

Yes, why?

How was it??

Never been, so I would like to know if its worth a trip

I frequent Sala Mexicali, and recommend that you give it a try. The food, although not authentic Mexican, is very good - they use fresh ingredients and no MSG. The service, in the last year, has really improved and now they have a crew of very young, sweet Thai girls with big smiles who repeat your order. I recommend you try the mango salsa, the chicken quesadilla and the margaritas.

• Like 1

Need to make mention of the Falang Paradise restaurant in this thread. The food is consistently good. Nice, quiet area. Great prices. Fantastic fish and chips, both battered or crumbed.

Found this evening that they are now open every day also (previously closed on Mondays). A few folk in who'd found it through TripAdvisor.

Never been. I frequent Los Amigos at Nai Harn, but it is going downhill since the original cook left and Dave is trying to sell it.

May have to give this mexicali place a try.sad.png

I'm not sure the last time that you were there, but there is a new cook at Los Amigos and the service/food has gotten better once again. Terry has been trying to sell the place for a long time, but the staff he employs now are doing a good job. I only ever eat one thing on the menu there, and that's the burrito. Give Sala Mexicali a try; it's worth it.

'Cookie' at Falang Paradise has a new menu, and I sampled one of the new items last night. He's doing home made burgers (beef, chicken or pork), with or without cheese or egg. Pictured is the 'deluxe' burger which I had (comes with cheese and bacon). Quite large and with french fries, excellent value for 170 baht.

post-62520-0-18489100-1384401951_thumb.j

Sounds good. Must be a new menu for this week? I was there Sunday and same same menu. smile.png

Since he is open to be trained, maybe I will show him how to make a South American style flan or rice pudding. That place is desperate for desserts. Ice cream does not cut it.

My girth must be protected at all cost. biggrin.png Hear that, Hans Gruber?