List Of Favourite Restaurants In Phuket

donna

Nowhere in Phuket do I expect a "slick service".

I'm sure not. However, just pointing out that it's a very small, out of the way place that can take a little bit of time (but no more than 20 minutes) to deliver food from order. Usually it's the chef who's taking the order also. Part of the attraction of the place for me is the 'home cooked' aspect to the food, as everything tastes freshly cooked.

I think I also need to point out that I'm definitely not advertising the place, only passing on my observations and opinion.

Nowhere in Phuket do I expect a "slick service".

I'm sure not. However, just pointing out that it's a very small, out of the way place that can take a little bit of time (but no more than 20 minutes) to deliver food from order. Usually it's the chef who's taking the order also. Part of the attraction of the place for me is the 'home cooked' aspect to the food, as everything tastes freshly cooked.

I think I also need to point out that I'm definitely not advertising the place, only passing on my observations and opinion.

Fair comment, Pagallim. I will drop by, maybe today, time permitting.

Had a very nice meal last night at Hen Chef on Sai Yuan. It's the cinder block place on the right as you head into the threeway, between Tesco and 7/11 (the one at the three way).

My prawn salad stater was massive, I then had a seafood fettucine and as I was speaking some Thai with the waitress, she asked if I would like that spicy (nice touch I thought), I did and it was excellent.

My friend had a pizza and although not large, more of a personal size, it was very tasty (ate a slice of that too, GOM eats a lot), tomato sauce nice and plentiful toppings.

Prices there are way reasonable too.

• Like 1

Again, Cookie's Fish & Chips at "Falang Paradise":

Four guys, two had fish and chips, one had fish and wedges, one had just fish (on a diet? biggrin.png):

attachicon.gifIMG_6806.JPG

And so I went there with another friend. I had the battered fish and chips and he had the crumbed chicken. Well worth it, good price, nice ambiance and nice owners. The pics do not do justice to the size of the wedges or the entire meal.

+20 thumbsup.gif

No desserts on the menu. They had ice cream but when asking about "kanom", the cook/waiter/part owner of the restaurant did not mention ice cream. I would have ordered it.

The Swedish owner was very nice, and inquired on how we heard of the place. I did suggest to add some desserts to the menu (particularly cheesecake tongue.png ).

<snip>

The pics do not do justice to the size of the wedges or the entire meal.

<snip>

I think the plates are too big - they make the meals look small! biggrin.png

Last week I had the Swedish meatballs and mashed potatoes. Excellent!

This week I had the battered fish and French fries again. Yummy!

Has anyone been to the Indian restaurant at Fisherman Way called Tandoori Nights?

Would be interested to know if the food is any good and what the prices are (not in Phuket at the moment).

Twice. I am not expert in indian food but I thinks that their food were very taste and good. Basic ambiance. Price for two, with 1 red wine glass and 2 Tiger beer and four dishes (vegetables, garlic bread, 2 kind of chiken) was around 1.100 baht.

Take with you a pillow because they have the hardest chair I ever had in my life.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to the Navrang Mahal all you can eat buffet last Friday at Karon.

The food was exceptional, and with real basmati rice. The vindaloo was to die for. Samosas were excellent and all other curries and their home made asha and chutney was also very good. Nice Philipino band with 2 pretty girls. 2 types of lassi as part of the buffet.

Nice ambiance and attentive staff, most of the time. 449B per.

We have visited it last Friday. Note, 449 baht is nett: in fact you pay 449 +10% service charge +7% VAT. As I and my son are big fans of curry and spice food we couldn't miss it. However, only one dish (vindaloo) is more or less spicy, others are generally edible without "tears in my eyes". Staff kindly advised "our curry is mild" and that was true. Variety is just what you can read in advertising, not more! Total about of dishes could be more diversified. Generall we like it, but it is a bit overpriced, IMHO.

Has anyone been to the Indian restaurant at Fisherman Way called Tandoori Nights?

Would be interested to know if the food is any good and what the prices are (not in Phuket at the moment).

I have not been there, but that is the next place on my to-go list. I have been to Mr. India, a little further down Chaofa East Rd. on the left before you get to Chalong Circle. It is about 200 baht per dish, 59-79 baht for various naans. I have found the food to be quite good, but I'll give a comparison to Tandoori Nights probably sometime next week (can only afford to eat such expensive meals once a week or so!).

Also, not sure if anyone mentioned the place yet, but you all MUST check out Markinney Mate in Phuket Town. It is a little restaurant run by a good friend of mine, very friendly man who understands Western service demands. I have even invented a few items off the menu which have now become staples of my diet.

https://www.facebook.com/mate.markinny?fref=ts

<snip>

The pics do not do justice to the size of the wedges or the entire meal.

<snip>

I think the plates are too big - they make the meals look small! biggrin.png

Last week I had the Swedish meatballs and mashed potatoes. Excellent!

This week I had the battered fish and French fries again. Yummy!

I thought I would give the place a try today for lunch as was in the area and what pleasure it was too. Had the battered fish and wedges and missus had fried rice. Never seen the missus so complimentary over a dish from a restaurant and my fish and wedges was great too.

What a lovely atmosphere too - defintely a place to return to.

By the way Large Leo at 60 baht will always bring out the compliments in me.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Here are my two favorite Phuket restaurants 2013:

Number 6 Restaurant in Patong: Good and affordable authentic thai food. Don't waste your time waiting for a table in the Number 6 Restaurant on the main road, but ask the waiter for the free shuttle bus up to their second restaurant up in the hills. It's more quiet there and you have a wonderful view over the bay. Unfortunately, the waiters are a little bit slow, but the food is very good.

Kata Kitchen in Kata Beach: If you like personal service and authentic thai food, don't miss Kata Kitchen in Kata Beach. It's quite a walk away from the main road, but they offer a free pickup service: cheap cheap and good good! Check my review on Phuket-Trip

Have a good Dinnersmile.png

Number 6 Restaurant in Patong: Good and affordable authentic thai food. Don't waste your time waiting for a table in the Number 6 Restaurant on the main road, but ask the waiter for the free shuttle bus up to their second restaurant up in the hills. It's more quiet there and you have a wonderful view over the bay. Unfortunately, the waiters are a little bit slow, but the food is very good.

Kata Kitchen in Kata Beach: If you like personal service and authentic thai food, don't miss Kata Kitchen in Kata Beach. It's quite a walk away from the main road, but they offer a free pickup service: cheap cheap and good good! Check my review on Phuket-Trip

genuine thai food in the tourist ghetto? dont think so..

What do you think the Thais that live there eat???

Of course you will find genuine Thai food in Kata and Patong. The place mentioned are not authentic Thai, but nice enough places.

Need to make mention of the Falang Paradise restaurant in this thread. The food is consistently good. Nice, quiet area. Great prices. Fantastic fish and chips, both battered or crumbed.

You're right. Not without irony that this evening we were at another of our previous favourites, Cosa Nostra in Chalong. Unfortunately our pizzas were undercooked (pastry was soggy, oven not hot enough), and to be honest, the pizzas at Falang Paradise on a Friday night are better, albeit without the extensive range of toppings. 'Cookie' at Falang Paradise seems to have got it weighed off quite well, and you know that what you order will be as good as the last time you had it. A gem of a place.

Of course you will find genuine Thai food in Kata and Patong. The place mentioned are not authentic Thai, but nice enough places.

Agree. No. 6 is OK, but watered down to farang taste buds. Much more authentic is Karb Gluaay (Banana Leaf in Thai) down on Phrabaramee Road (next to Andaman Divers Hotel). They just expanded to the adjoining building next door. Very authentic Thai food. Most customers are Thai. The new outlet has an air-con option, if you don't want to eat at the side of the road.

Had a nice breakfast/lunch last time in Patong been to this place a few times already never a bad meal yet.....

Not sure of the name of the place but it is on short dead end soi where C&N hotel is directly across from the entrance to the Hotel.

Only about 7-8 tables but food was good cheap we had a few different dishes and some cold beer nice and clean to...

The girls working there very friendly and they did take away to the hotel and establishments in the area to.

For sure worth a try....

wish I new the name of the place...sorry

I returned to the Yorkshire hotel on Sunday morning for breakfast, we have been there many times before & was always great. This time what a DISASTER!

First table we sat at, bearing in mind we had our baby so doing anything is a bit of a faff, the waitress barked at us that this table was reserved! We then asked her to clear the next table, they have booths which means the baby can be in the car seat on the bench next to mamma, she was not happy at this request! and made it plain to see, I realise there are many other tables free - but we wanted this table so the baby can be next to mum. She continued to be less than friendly, at which point my wife asked the supervisor if she had argued with her husband......

Next we ordered breakfast, NO orange juice &lt;deleted&gt;!! Ok no big deal, we take pineapple - obviously this was running low as it had been very watered down. I asked for extra black pudding with my meal. When it came, eventually, the black pudding was RAW, barely even warm. I asked the girl to take it away and no need to replace as I would go without. It was, eventually, returned with the blackpudding I had asked to be removed, still virtually RAW! &lt;deleted&gt; now I am upset...... So I scraped it off gave it back to them and ate my meal. The chef was obviuosly not happy, and the waitress tried to explain to me. I did stop her, to point out that the FARANG knows how to cook FARANG food and raw blood sausage is not what I wanted.

I understand the owner passed away, since then it looks like all new staff have been hired! TERRIBLE and no one looks to be in charge. The breakfast I got, less black pudding, was just the same as before - BUT the service was sooooooo bad I will NOT be back

I returned to the Yorkshire hotel on Sunday morning for breakfast, we have been there many times before & was always great. This time what a DISASTER!

First table we sat at, bearing in mind we had our baby so doing anything is a bit of a faff, the waitress barked at us that this table was reserved! We then asked her to clear the next table, they have booths which means the baby can be in the car seat on the bench next to mamma, she was not happy at this request! and made it plain to see, I realise there are many other tables free - but we wanted this table so the baby can be next to mum. She continued to be less than friendly, at which point my wife asked the supervisor if she had argued with her husband......

Next we ordered breakfast, NO orange juice &lt;deleted&gt;!! Ok no big deal, we take pineapple - obviously this was running low as it had been very watered down. I asked for extra black pudding with my meal. When it came, eventually, the black pudding was RAW, barely even warm. I asked the girl to take it away and no need to replace as I would go without. It was, eventually, returned with the blackpudding I had asked to be removed, still virtually RAW! &lt;deleted&gt; now I am upset...... So I scraped it off gave it back to them and ate my meal. The chef was obviuosly not happy, and the waitress tried to explain to me. I did stop her, to point out that the FARANG knows how to cook FARANG food and raw blood sausage is not what I wanted.

I understand the owner passed away, since then it looks like all new staff have been hired! TERRIBLE and no one looks to be in charge. The breakfast I got, less black pudding, was just the same as before - BUT the service was sooooooo bad I will NOT be back

Man,,,,,,,,,,, are you talking that old place on Soi Sansabai? Some advice, flee Patong ASAP.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Had a nice breakfast/lunch last time in Patong been to this place a few times already never a bad meal yet.....

Not sure of the name of the place but it is on short dead end soi where C&N hotel is directly across from the entrance to the Hotel.

Only about 7-8 tables but food was good cheap we had a few different dishes and some cold beer nice and clean to...

The girls working there very friendly and they did take away to the hotel and establishments in the area to.

For sure worth a try....

wish I new the name of the place...sorry

Sabai Sabai, same owner and prices for over 5 years, always eat there when in patong