I believe the owner should get nothing from YOU for the meter. If he paid a deposit to the electricity company he will get that deposit back, and you have to pay your own deposit and get a receipt for it in your name.

--

Maestro

How do you buy off plan and have 'old owners' ??

Condo developers often pass the cost of having the electric meter installed onto the first purchaser.. Check your contracts regarding utilities connections.

I had to buy a new meter after someone reversed their vehicle and smashed mine. It cost me 700 baht. I think you are being scammed.

i paid a deposit of exactly 10,000 Baht for my meter.

I paid a deposit of exactly nothing to get my meter.

It was put in by the developer and I changed it to my wife's name when I bought the house.

I did not pay anybody anything for the meter.

Edited by chuckd

I had to buy a new meter after someone reversed their vehicle and smashed mine. It cost me 700 baht. I think you are being scammed.

But Naam, your meter is the size of a refrigerator. MOST people have standard size meters.

I had to pay for a new meter when I built my workshop. I can't remember how much, but if it was more than a couple of thousand baht I WOULD have remembered.

But Naam, your meter is the size of a refrigerator. MOST people have standard size meters.

no it's not Gary. the meter is the same size as the one of my neighbour (they are both next to each other in a casing). the 10k Baht were a refundable deposit. but i paid an additional 16,000 Baht to the electricity provider (tea money included) for my 3x30amp connection. a single phase 15amp connection would have been free of charge because the developer had included the cost in the price of the land.

Most people do not have 3x30 connections (or live in Beverly Hills). Single phase of 15 amp is the normal service for mooban homes. If you check HomePro you will find 5, 15 and 30 amp meters for about the same price (a bit under 700 baht). But I believe there is an initial installation deposit required for new service but don't know the exact amounts or 'upgrade' fees.

no it's not Gary. the meter is the same size as the one of my neighbour (they are both next to each other in a casing). the 10k Baht were a refundable deposit. but i paid an additional 16,000 Baht to the electricity provider (tea money included) for my 3x30amp connection. a single phase 15amp connection would have been free of charge because the developer had included the cost in the price of the land.

wife just told me that the 10k Baht were refunded months ago. seems to have been a security deposit for consumption (not the meter) and the electricity is now convinced that we pay the bills on time.

Most people do not have 3x30 connections (or live in Beverly Hills). Single phase of 15 amp is the normal service for mooban homes.

for mad dogs like me a 3x30 connection was mandatory. i even put a sine qua non clause in the purchase contract of the land :o

wife just told me that the 10k Baht were refunded months ago.
What did she buy with the deposit? :D

I've seen my wifeys bank book, I think I'm giving her too much housekeeping :o

Edited by Crossy

wife just told me that the 10k Baht were refunded months ago.
What did she buy with the deposit? :D

I've seen my wifeys bank book, I think I'm giving her too much housekeeping :D

i have no idea and i don't care. my wife handles all financial matters onshore and i handle all matters offshore. when i need money i ask my wife to give me some. when our cash or bank account is running low, she asks me to make a transfer. we don't have separate bankbooks. all our holdings are in one portfolio and can be accessed independently by either my wife or me. must be sounding horrifying to some of you? :o not to me, as that is our arrangement since we got married nearly three decades ago.

regular the meter is included, but if it is not fixed in the buy and sell contract, and teh owner is an arshole! he could charge you up to 15000 baht depending on the meter.

because

if you not pay it, he could cancell the meter and return the deposit !! this is up to 15000 baht for a 3 phase 15a meter.

but really normaly its included,,but if you not fix it ( hmmm i never fixed it as well) you have bad luck

when the sale is finished tell this arshole that he is an unfair player and seller and de is ....)what ever)

NOTE !!!!!!!

ELECTRIC METER

in condo foreigner can apply easy

HOUSE !!!!!!!!!!!

the electricoffices sometime give you a hard time to apply nd refuse to install !!!! from LAW you get an electricmeter if

1. the land is registerd on a company

or

2. THE LEASE is indicated to your name in the CHANOTE ( landtitle)

many still refuse and you can fight

but law !!! only landtitle indicating you are the leaseholder and passport

even the constructionpremit you can get on your name if the leaser give you the POA to construct on the land

as well LEASE contract are made FREE OF CHARGE !!!!! at the land office

i have no idea and i don't care. my wife handles all financial matters onshore and i handle all matters offshore. when i need money i ask my wife to give me some. when our cash or bank account is running low, she asks me to make a transfer.

If ever you get divorced Naam, I'll marry you on the same terms. :o

i have no idea and i don't care. my wife handles all financial matters onshore and i handle all matters offshore. when i need money i ask my wife to give me some. when our cash or bank account is running low, she asks me to make a transfer.

If ever you get divorced Naam, I'll marry you on the same terms. :D

you've got tits and a p*ssy? :o

<deleted> kind of condo has 3 phase power?

all condo buildings have a 3-phase supply and that makes it possible to get 3-phase in an individual condo apartment. it's of course expensive to redo the wiring when bought after construction was finished.

If ever you get divorced Naam, I'll marry you on the same terms. :D

you've got tits and a p*ssy? :D

I could have. :o

Most developers of condos get the meter installed on behalf of the new condo owner. The new owner has to pay a deposit to the electrical provider which most the time is done through the developer. A receipt is given by the electrical provider and this paper should be kept as it is needed to get the deposit back when the condo one day will be sold. The new buyer will then have to pay a new deposit – and the old one has to wait some weeks for his money to be returned. The deposit varies due to the size of the connection.

Many Thai people just ignore changing the names at all and just pay the bill when it comes even if it is in the name of the original owner of the condo many years back. We have some condos we bought and rent out monthly. The interesting thing is that the electrical provider has agreed to send the bills to our home adress even if the contract still is in the original owners name.