Younger Thai Girls

girlx

has anyone noticed a huge change in attitudes with younger thai girls of late towards them? i am in bangkok now and it seems like every 3rd shop i go into there is some 20-something girl who can barely be roused from her soap operas to flounce over with a deadpan, cheerless stare- and before your question is even finished she blurts, "no have" and goes back to her show with no attempt at further assistance. there have also been numerous other cases of totally out-of-line rudeness in the past week, not just to me but to other female friends as well.

is it because i am female? is it because i am farang? is it because they are miserable in their jobs?

older thai women love me. thai men generally love me. it's just younger women who have this problem and i don't know where it is coming from. i swear the next one will get a tongue lashing from me though.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

is it because they are miserable in their jobs?

Most likely, although it is possible that you and your friends may have a bit of an attitude as well, which might offend some people.

Edited by madjbs

your question doesnt really make sense.

oh. just wanted to mention that there seem to be a lot of b****y little shopgirls around in BKK lately, and wondered if anyone has noticed it or if it is some sort of trend.

It’s not you or anything to do with you being female or foreign.

I complain about the same thing. My Thai Girl friend also complains about the same thing.

It’s become a daily joke now to reply to each others question with a “Hah ?” or a “no-have” or any other infuriating speak of those who are so ignorant to use basic manners with strangers.

In some cases the “no have” may just represent its face value and they don’t have it, but when I hear ‘no have’ my translation is “I’m too lazy to look, maybe we don’t have it and I cant even be bothered to make eye contact or respond with a Kha and show some manners….”… or the contextual equivalent in any conversation where a polite response should be expected.

(Lets wait for someone to suggest.. If you don’t like it.. go back home !)

I’m too lazy to look, maybe we don’t have it and I cant even be bothered to make eye contact or respond with a Kha and show some manners

exactly... it's so rude to be asking a question and they won't even look at you.

A lot of these type of persons donot realise that indirectly they are shooting themselves in the foot, and their bosses too. They could increase sales and thereby secure the job they have.

It happens everywhere in the world, it is not just a Thai thing.

I swear the next one will get a tongue lashing from me though.

What kind of tongue lashing did you have in mind??? :o

Seriously... tho... I'd guess a lot of it is related to boredom..and low pay....

They're likely not the owner...just the hired help... And... probably don't stand to earn much more...whether they expend the energy/effort or not...

Add to that... long hours just sitting around...and having to deal with customers who don't speak much or any Thai... even though this IS Thailand....

And then...of course...there are those who, instead of work, are simply thinking about finding a farang husband who can take them away from it all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

What kind of tongue lashing did you have in mind??? smile.gif

knew that was coming... :o

i suppose it all makes sense. sure ruins my day though when someone is so rude. i always had pounded into my head that the customer comes first! if only the managers of these places knew how much business they must lose by having such a nasty front.

i suppose it all makes sense. sure ruins my day though when someone is so rude. i always had pounded into my head that the customer comes first! if only the managers of these places knew how much business they must lose by having such a nasty front.

"tongue lashing" and "the customer comes first!" Oh girlx, I do love your posts! :D

I do know what you mean GirlX because I often went into places like the Body Shop and other shops and got totally blanked by the Thai girly staff. Or got rude questions about what I was looking for. Somethng to do with cultural norms I'd venture to say... easy when you are a young Thai assistant with an older Thai customer... but more difficult when you are a young Thai assistant with a farang customer...

I have found a lot of younger Thai women in BKK to be a little warey of me I have to say. In the South we women can get away with living there but in Bkk you will be more like competition in any way...

Edited by Nampeung

"tongue lashing" and "the customer comes first!" Oh girlx, I do love your posts! :D

I think I am getting all hyperventilated. :D

if the "customer comes first!" does that mean "dogs follow"? :D

Suegha;dear :D you had not notice those underlined words too :D I want to bring your attention to them to "fulfill your pleasure" in girlx's "posts" :D

I agree with you, however this is Thailand, customer comes second, third or even last. The general attitude is the place of business is doing you a favor not the other way around. Even if you insist to talk to the mananger or owner the response is that you are the problem :o

Of course not all places are that way but I have had a few similar bad experiences :D

Now...if the store staff had taken care of Girlx in this manner....I don't think she'd be feeling so stressed and unappreciated during her shopping trips... Note to staff: make sure the customer always comes FIRST!!!!

That, combined with a good tongue lashing, will do wonders for a lady's emotional state!!! :D

Yes...you knew you had that coming!!!!

Now...if the store staff had taken care of Girlx in this manner....I don't think she'd be feeling so stressed and unappreciated during her shopping trips... Note to staff: make sure the customer always comes FIRST!!!!

That, combined with a good tongue lashing, will do wonders for a lady's emotional state!!! :D

Yes...you knew you had that coming!!!!

:D

if the "customer comes first!" does that mean "dogs follow"? :D

Suegha;dear :D you had not notice those underlined words too :D I want to bring your attention to them to "fulfill your pleasure" in girlx's "posts" :D

You missed a bit Zazz .... corrected to give the full stimulus :D

When these young girls have such behavior with me, I usually give them back the same attitude. However, I think this is just a younger generation, they can be quite similar around the world, can be more rude to people than the older ones. I often encounter another problem: I ask for something and the shop owner or the sales person say they don't have it, when I can clearily see that they do. So I can't figure out why they do it, don't they want to have business and sell their products?

Yeap,

I have been observing such trashy salesgirls over the last two years at place slike Zen, Central, Paragon, etc. what I normally do is to get their supervisors or managers or in certain cases the owners of the shops. In my opinion there are just good for nothing sluts. I prefer males sales staff as there are more attentive. I always tell of these trashy sales girls as to what they are good for and I normally do it in such a way so as to see that they lose face or end up in tears. God I really do not know what this country is coming to.

Oh, yeah, I remember it well; shopping in Thailand was always HEAPS of fun. :o

I don't think it is a recent thing, girlio, but maybe it's just that you and your friends are more aware?

Or, if it is more on the rise these days, it is definitely an increase, rather than a new phenomenon.

When the salesgirls are in groups, that's when it gets particularly bad, because they all say horrible things about you in Thai to each other.

However, when I learned a bit of Thai, it was really fun and really easy to shut them the <deleted> up.

*added: however, I have to add, I had a few of my favorite places where I would always shop, and where the salesgirls were so sweet and great. So there you go - let the power of the market whip their a$$.

** Two of the best of all time was a sweetheart at Zara's in Paragon, and a ladyboy there who helped me pick out a fierce dress, and he was very flattering about my curves rather than catty.

Edited by kat

Yeap,

I have been observing such trashy salesgirls over the last two years at place slike Zen, Central, Paragon, etc. what I normally do is to get their supervisors or managers or in certain cases the owners of the shops. In my opinion there are just good for nothing sluts. I prefer males sales staff as there are more attentive. I always tell of these trashy sales girls as to what they are good for and I normally do it in such a way so as to see that they lose face or end up in tears. God I really do not know what this country is coming to.

Weho? Is that you?

well it seems like the sales people are either/or- either they hover 2 inches away from you the entire time you are looking until you get nervous and snappy, or they are completely rude and unavailable for assistance. when i do find nice shop people (which happens occasionally too, like at starbucks and 7-11 for instance), i feel like hugging them.