The Grumpiest Ex-pat In Bangkok

CarlBkk

2 days in a row; he's definitely seen this thread!

I'm guessing T.S = GOM

Hi

No show 2 days in a row. He's sussed it.

If so he is now aware of how anti social his actions are and that they are unacceptable. Mission accomplished.

Who is T.S.?

TBWG :o

Fully agree. This thread has learnt him a lesson.

how old am i supposed to be again?

then i am certainly not GOM

For those of you who were around Thai Visa at the time of the last coup, you may recall that I was the one that broke the news of what was happening on Thai Visa - thanks to my impeccable inside sources.

Well I don't wish to spread panic, but I have just been informed that the planned military movements tomorrow morning to forestall violence at the ongoing PAD rally have just been put on hold.

Instead, the tanks will roll up Sukhumvit and will surround the area of the Emporium in last ditch effort to stop war breaking out in the Oriental coffee shop between Grumpy Old Man and a bunch of violent, 'He.ll bent on trouble" thugs from Thai Visa.

In fact, hot off the wire I have just been told that The PAD leaders are going to call off their rally in deference to the 2008 farang war on Soi 24, as they don't wish the media to be divided as to which historic, earth shattering event to cover.

More news as it comes to me.....

I asked the person in the 'prized seat' how he got in so quickly and was told the theatre on the 6th floor is the quick way in as the baricade is lowered at about ten til ten

That was me!

I gotta give huge huge kudos to Andiamo- you lovely woman! Your advice about taking the carpark lift up to the theatre was right on the money!

The box office is open early, because the first show is at 10:30 AM. The escalators down to the 5th floor weren't running when I got there (9:40 ish) but started about 2 minutes later. They rolled up the barricade at 9:50. I actually could have gotten off the lift on the 5th floor; I rode up with a bunch of food court employees who were carrying in provisions. They were all wearing Emporium ID's, and I didn't want to stick out in the crowd too early and get hassled by security, so I continued on up to the 6th and waited there in the theatre lobby.

I was completely stoked to be the first o ne there! I walked in at 9:50 and asked if they were open, and they said yes. I ordered a slice of quiche and a latte. When I sat down in the right chair, all of the employees broke out in a big grin. It is clear that they really don't like the arrogant pr*ck and the crap he puts them through, and really appreciate having us show up to take this guy to task, which of course they just can't do for obvious reasons.

Another T/V member already had the prize seat and had his stuff spread out in a nice arrangement.

I did have the luxury of figuring this out quite perfectly. I put the chair a few inches shy of three feet away from the corner, which was to my left. The counter on that side had a big flower vase, a box full of menus and some other stuff, so there really wasn't any usable space over there. The GOM could have dragged a chair over and pushed his way into the corner if he really wanted to, but I would have been breathing right down his neck.

I put my breakfast in front of me, and got a newspaper from the rack and spread it open to read on my right side. There was ample space further down the counter for the 4 other chairs. I was soooo ready for the GOM to come and push on my newspaper!

It was easy to spot Carlbkk... the staff knew him right away and gave him the bad news about the guy calling and cancelling his "reservation" because he was going to play golf, which I could overhear clearly. Talk about anticlimax. All of you who have been following this thread and feeling it now too, don't feel so bad because I'm bumming harder than all of you!

It wasn't a total loss- Carlbkk and Ozsamurai are nice guys and I enjoyed shooting the breeze with them and had some laughs hearing about the previous episodes.

Sadly I'm going to be busy over the weekend and next week, so I probably won't get down there again. I will definitely be staying tuned to this thread every morning after 10, to hear the story of the next person to sit on the throne when he shows up next time!

Aww shucks bino. :D Glad my 'insider knowledge' helped you overcome the timing challenge.

Actually, Point of clarification :D , that wasn't the elevator I meant, I meant the one hidden in the corner that takes you up to the TCDC. However, I am not sure what time THAT lift starts operating! Anyway, you achieved success via the 6th floow which is the main thing! Cool!

Methinks the problem tomorrow may be that he also uses the SAME Lift - what you gonna do, gently elbow him out with news of a vacant stool in the car park????? :D

I can just picture the scene with an elevator full of TV members jostling for position! :o

Maybe see some of you there next week!

Andiamo

Good on Bino for being the first there and getting the right spot. So it looks like myself and Tod-Daniels there tomorrow...I have to be less obvious on my approach because if he sees me, he'll virtually run to beat me as before, so Tod, timing is everything!

I don't believe he's spotted this thread and clocked what's going on, I'm sure he still just thinks it's me and me only that's testing him. He called in before 10am both mornings to tell the staff he won't be coming in, he wouldn't bother doing that if he purposefully didn't show cos he knew 3+ people were testing him. Two days of no-shows so I'm sure he'll be there tomorrow.

As I drove out of Emporium at 3pm the GOM walked in front of my car coming out of Emporium and then went into the Dubliner. I don't know what company he works for but all the staff said was that he is a CEO and his name is Adam.

Good on Bino for being the first there and getting the right spot. So it looks like myself and Tod-Daniels there tomorrow...I have to be less obvious on my approach because if he sees me, he'll virtually run to beat me as before, so Tod, timing is everything!

I don't believe he's spotted this thread and clocked what's going on, I'm sure he still just thinks it's me and me only that's testing him. He called in before 10am both mornings to tell the staff he won't be coming in, he wouldn't bother doing that if he purposefully didn't show cos he knew 3+ people were testing him. Two days of no-shows so I'm sure he'll be there tomorrow.

As I drove out of Emporium at 3pm the GOM walked in front of my car coming out of Emporium and then went into the Dubliner. I don't know what company he works for but all the staff said was that he is a CEO and his name is Adam.

wow !!! A real investigation there !! Ahahahaha

Inspecteur Clouzeau ???

As I drove out of Emporium at 3pm the GOM walked in front of my car coming out of Emporium and then went into the Dubliner.

Did this occur the same day as his supposed golf outing?

Edited by pumpuiman

As I drove out of Emporium at 3pm the GOM walked in front of my car coming out of Emporium and then went into the Dubliner.

Did this occur the same day as his supposed golf outing?

Yes it did...today. I know nothing about how long a round of golf takes, but I'm guessing about 4 hours, in which case it's plausable and he wasn't just avoiding his regular breakfast.

Classic thread, just can't stop reading!

Reminds me of perhaps the biggest 'internet forum gang-up' thread of all time I found on a 4x4 offroading forum of all places.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=399203

If you like this thread, check it out - it had me reading for hours. The guy in that thread even got his own wikipedia entry!

(If they remove the link, just google 'charlie wentzel' and you'll find it)

How long are people prepared to go to this coffee shop everyday at 10am? If this guy has caught on, all he may have to do is not show up for a week or two. Without him showing up, this thread will eventually stop getting replies and will fall off the front page. Everyone will get bored and move on with their lives. But he won't move on. The chair will be his. :o

How long are people prepared to go to this coffee shop everyday at 10am? If this guy has caught on, all he may have to do is not show up for a week or two. Without him showing up, this thread will eventually stop getting replies and will fall off the front page. Everyone will get bored and move on with their lives. But he won't move on. The chair will be his. :o

DP, I'm certainly not going to make a habit of waking up early to get his seat. I'm already feeling tired of quiche and croissants for breakfast for 5 days in a row. However, I definitely will go long enough to see his reaction when he sees random customers (not just me) in his place early morning when usually there aren't people around. A few times is fine, and then from then on if he still persists in his habit, I'm sure myself and various other people on here and facebook will occasionally "turn up" early and happen to sit in that seat to let him know although he can have his way some days of the week, it won't be as many as he's used to.

OK the initial thread. A bit of a weird bloke in a cafe. But this is a feeding frenzy. What is wrong with your lives that this is the only entertainment you can get out of life?

Just what I was thinking - sad.

OK, OK. You can have your seat tomorrow. :o

OK the initial thread. A bit of a weird bloke in a cafe. But this is a feeding frenzy. What is wrong with your lives that this is the only entertainment you can get out of life?

Just what I was thinking - sad.

seriously how could anyone possibly be assed to go to the emporium and pursue this?

Is it now all over?

Maybe the week end has come around and you've all found something better to do.

Pick vegetables or clean cars.

Watch old movies.

The frenzy slowly dies down...

The cafe concerned is bemused by the banter but silently assesses the income lost. 5 years, 5 times a week, 150 -250 bht a day - errrr that's how much?

" He was a grumpy bugger, but he did turn up every day for 5 years (alledgedly) and payed his money."

Well never mind, the thoughtful caring considerate collegues of Thai Visa have banded together and succesfully banned the guy. Excellent, because he was very rude (for 5 years) but was it that bad?

Mai pen rai. the good folk of TV are all feeling good about themselves for having done absolutely nothing.

The orgasmic feeding frenzy is over.

For a couple of days there the group sex was positively tangible. All the old military mob were at arms and all the young "wish they'd been rambos' were planning "black ops" and " strategy" for a poor olf grumpy bloke that you all decided to ravage.

I swear to God I 've never see such lunatic frenzy and such half assed justification in 50 years of working with adolescents, primary kids and adults.

What got into your heads?

A bit of fun?

"Sorting out a rude bloke"

"Stopping someone hogging a table"

I am truly amazed.

Finally, be warned, if this does go to the press it could really back fire.

There's no real story in a grumpy old bloke.

There's a hel_l of a story in a mass of moronic, bored expats beating up on individuals that don't fit.

Appalling.

Is it now all over?

Maybe the week end has come around and you've all found something better to do.

Pick vegetables or clean cars.

Watch old movies.

The frenzy slowly dies down...

The cafe concerned is bemused by the banter but silently assesses the income lost. 5 years, 5 times a week, 150 -250 bht a day - errrr that's how much?

" He was a grumpy bugger, but he did turn up every day for 5 years (alledgedly) and payed his money."

Well never mind, the thoughtful caring considerate collegues of Thai Visa have banded together and succesfully banned the guy. Excellent, because he was very rude (for 5 years) but was it that bad?

Mai pen rai. the good folk of TV are all feeling good about themselves for having done absolutely nothing.

The orgasmic feeding frenzy is over.

For a couple of days there the group sex was positively tangible. All the old military mob were at arms and all the young "wish they'd been rambos' were planning "black ops" and " strategy" for a poor olf grumpy bloke that you all decided to ravage.

I swear to God I 've never see such lunatic frenzy and such half assed justification in 50 years of working with adolescents, primary kids and adults.

What got into your heads?

A bit of fun?

"Sorting out a rude bloke"

"Stopping someone hogging a table"

I am truly amazed.

Finally, be warned, if this does go to the press it could really back fire.

There's no real story in a grumpy old bloke.

There's a hel_l of a story in a mass of moronic, bored expats beating up on individuals that don't fit.

Appalling.

Apologies for quoting the whole post, but I couldn't work out where to start dissecting it.

I was a bit late to the party on this one. OCD?

I've never heard such a crock in my life. After having a (nearly) father in law with 'mental health' problems, I know full well that these things can be easily cured with a good slap.

This guy is obviously in need of one also, but nobody has suggested such a thing after eons of posts. I am quite impressed with the vast majority of posters' restraint on this matter.

Put me on TV if you want, I will be the new agony Uncle.

Oprah with stools :o

What the heck are you trying to say?

Sorry Jandajoy for not expressing myself as eloquently as you. Upon reading my last post again it actually didn't make too much sense.

OK, I don't see any bullies here, apart from GOM. Nobody has threatened violence or verbal action, only denying him his prized seat to which he feels entitled to through bullying himself.

Also I don't go along with these OCD theories. Maybe I will get in trouble with the mods now, but many mental health problems have been proven to be self generated as an attention/ sympathy vehicle. Take the case of my previuos g/f's father in the UK who was sectioned for 'depression'. He was a 6'4" farmer who was built like a brick outhouse. I had 10 minutes in the psych hospital with him. We had a good scrap and he was allowed out the next morning.

I don't see anything 'apalling' in this thread other than certain sanctimonious posters trying to defend an arrogant, egotistical thug.

I am actually quite impressed with the resolve of some of these guys, as we tend to assume the majority are geeks or old people. (No offense)

If I were in BKK I would be the first one up the elevator. If I had to guess I would say you are/ were a teacher, but if that is correct then even you would have enjoyed seeing the school bully get his comuppence?

Good Lord. what garbage.

A person suffers from a mental affliction. You go in, beat him up and then it's OK!

You see bullying as only a physical manifestation. You obviously have no concept of how people, include yourself in this, bully, intimidate and manipulate others throught their tone of voice, a look, a grimace or glare, or simply standing too closely.

I'm intrigued with your terminology.

"I had 10 minutes in the psych hospital with him. We had a good scrap and he was allowed out the next morning."

was this in a UK hospital? More details might be illuminating.

"an arrogant, egotistical thug." I'm sorry to say but that does sound a bit like your own CV

"Nobody has threatened violence or verbal action"

Read the the whole thing again. They, the mob, have certainly threatened verbal abuse and on various occassions suggested physical violence or, at the very least hoped for it.

Finally, your bizarre comments about me being, or having been a teacher. What the xxxx has that got to do with anything? I've had to deal with bullies in the Army, Schools, Refugee camps, Oil Rigs, Pubs, etc etc.

So, I don't get your point on that one.

Still, never mind. I'm sure we can have a beer and a bit of a crac over it all some time down the track

A person suffers from a mental affliction. You go in, beat him up and then it's OK!

You see bullying as only a physical manifestation. You obviously have no concept of how people, include yourself in this, bully, intimidate and manipulate others throught their tone of voice, a look, a grimace or glare, or simply standing too closely.

I'm intrigued with your terminology.

"I had 10 minutes in the psych hospital with him. We had a good scrap and he was allowed out the next morning."

was this in a UK hospital? More details might be illuminating.

No, I didn't beat him up. If you read my post he was 6'4" and rather broad. We had a bit of a tussle just to try and wake him up to reality, and to his family who were waiting for him.

This was in Digby hospital in Exeter, now the site of Tesco's and a new housing development.

If I am a bully for looking at people then so be it, but I do not class my tone of voice or look on my face as bullying, I would class it as smiling 99% of the time, and intimidating when warranted.

Hi Guys

Being new here i am not sure whether this post will be viewed as going off topic. If so I apologise but I do want to make a point on this issue of mental health and OCD.

The inference in more than one post is that OCD and mental illness can either be self inflicted or self generated and can be dealt with by way of a good slap.

Firstly, I do not believe that the GOM has OCD through his actions. There would liely be more evidence from his habits than wanting a specific seat.

My daughter suffers from clinical depression and OCD. The OCD has resulted in one suicide attempt through the absolute frustration of the condition, made worse by the depression.

The depression is diagnosed now as a chemical imbalance in the body/brain. No amount of slapping or telling her to pull herself together would correct the imbalance. Thankfully now, through a mixture of medication(which rebalances the chemicals) and good counselling, supportive family and friends, things are pretty well under control for the most of the time.

Whatever we say, whatever our Myers Briggs profile tells us about ourselves and how we approach life, please understand that Mental illness is a real condition and should not be taken lightly.

Thanks

T

Whatever we say, whatever our Myers Briggs profile tells us about ourselves and how we approach life, please understand that Mental illness is a real condition and should not be taken lightly.

Thanks

T

Hi Tony,

that's a sad story, and I apologise if I offended you or your family. I guess I was just brought up differently not to believe in these things, most of which have only been invented in the last few decades.

Hope your daughter gets better.

SC