Outback Steakhouse

Goat Roper

I was not aware until yesterday there was an Outback Steakhouse in Thailand. I walked past it yesterday at Discovery Center, second floor I think, looked inviting but didn't go in as we had already had Thai noodles. Anyone tried this place and if so how does it compare to the real ones in Oz?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been told by American friends Outback Steakhouse is an American chain. Not sure how related to Australia it is as I think our american cousins do bbq just as well :D An authentic aussie steak is cooked by an uncle Bob, downing too many beers on a Sunday arvo wearing one of those aprons with breasts on it , after the steak is burnt to a cinder it is ready to eat . :o

It's not bad for a chain store. Its an American franchise decked out in Australian theme.

The cheese fries were very good and fattening....and if you like your meat prepared with actual bbq sauce, this is the place for you.

:D I'm sure the place in question would prefer there food critics with a different name to yours :o

I have been told by American friends Outback Steakhouse is an American chain. Not sure how related to Australia it is as I think our american cousins do bbq just as well :D An authentic aussie steak is cooked by an uncle Bob, downing too many beers on a Sunday arvo wearing one of those aprons with breasts on it  , after the steak is burnt to a cinder it is ready to eat .  :o

It does appear that it is an American restaurant. Outback Steakhouse

I've been to a few in the States as well as the one in Siam Discovery Center. The prices and quality of the one in Discover are comparable to those in the US. A few times when I was in the mood for a steak, I ate there. It seems that any Thai run restaurant could never cook a steak well. They are good at wok frying diced meat, but when it comes to cooking a slab of beef medium rare, the Thai run places fall short. One of my worst experiences was when I first arrived in Thailand and someone recommended a place for "good steaks". My hopes were too high. Had he descibed it as "cooked beef" I think I would have been more satisfied.

Outback is not a high quality place, but it s MUCH better than Sizzler (low quality), and it is consistent.

Goat Roper, I love your signature. Will Rogers was a good guy, smart too.

Yes indeed, Will Rogers did have a way with words to describe things where it was easy to understand what the subject was. :o He has many quotations but this one on my signature best describes me. :D

I get the strange feeling that Thai "beef" is genetically more closer related to "water Buffalo" than "cow".  :o

Can't imagine they import the beef. 

kenk3z

I'd say most of the top restaurants and resorts etc would use imported beef - I had some Australian steak at BeniHana last year.

Come to think of it, [and yes, I just checked with my wife] you can buy Australian beef and lamb at CarreFour.

I get the strange feeling that Thai "beef" is genetically more closer related to "water Buffalo" than "cow". :o

Can't imagine they import the beef.

kenk3z

They import their beef from Australia. I noticed the sign near their entrance soon after mad cow was discovered in the States.

Have only eaten at Sizzler one time and agree it is very poor. But had good luck with every visit I made to Neils Tavern when it was located in Siam Square and believe they are still highly regarded. Have not eaten at Outback here but have in US and they do not overcook. :o

Chok Chai Steak House is also considered to be quite good although I have only eaten there once. Wife makes the best steaks so don't even think about going out for them. And we use Thai beef as sold by Foodland.

And I do remember the buffalo burger days. But there is much better steak available now.

eye used two eat a lot of beef in my country butt hear inn thailand da beef tastes like shoe leather sew eye eat only pork & chicken. eye think outback might bee very steep price hear butt have knot gone.

What a total A$$lick post, is this all you have to do?

I've tried the Outback in Siam twice. I really enjoy their restaurants in the US (esp. the salads) and looked forward to a good dining experiece in Thailand. Unfortunately that is not the case. The only thing they share with the Outback Steakhouses in the US is the name.

I tried it when it first opened and then gave them a second chance a few months later. Two thumbs down, both times.

Here in Pattaya there's a market just down the road from where I live, and you can get all kinds of meat [and other foods] fresh off the pickup every day. In fact I just finished eating some steak from there just now, and it was very nice! I expect Bangkok would have many of those markets???

So this franchise, as Sizzler serves imported frozen beef, but where can you eat a freshly ;-) killed beef in bangkok? (except by buying it at foodland and cooking it yourself)

The only place you would get "freshly killed" beef is probably a thai market, that is on of the problembs with it. For beef to become tender it has to be "aged" this used to be done by air ageing, where the beef would be hung in a chilled room for 10-28 days prior to selling.

Usually now it is vacume packed and aged for up to 7 days. The beef you eat in "falang" type resteraunts may not be frozen as vacume packed meat keeps for a long time esp if chilled. "Thai" beef from the markets usually is'nt aged, although the supermarket stuff you can buy now has improved dramaticaly in quality

I'm not to keen on beef from the market, apart from it being tough. Whenever we get a sick cow and it dies, guess what? we sell the carcuss which had usually been pumped full of antibiotics ect. Is a lot cheaper than buying on the hoof, where do you think this beef ends up??

I'm not saying it's a usuall thing but it does happen, there is virtualy no quality control on meat sold in the markets.

Anyway food for thought :o

We only spotted it on the last day of our last trip so havn't tried it yet but if its as good as the American ones it should be worth a visit . Our favourites are the chichen wings and blooming onions these whole deep fried onions are amazing.

Look forward to trying it out when we come back in Jan, I wish we had one in Barcelona. :Pjava script:emoticon(':P')

smilie