Rangers News!

Jockstar

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^, wonder if HH was one of them.

Sir, for one thing I don't have a cockney accent. But proudly a SE Essex one. Secondly, the only Rangers that I may be likely to support is The Rangers at Great Notley Country Park.

But I did find it slightly ironic following Gers1873 first post on this forum -- well using that name anyway :) I should hear of that behaviour. But unlike he and "another" who would like to tar all Celtic supporters with the same brush, I would be a hypocrite if I were to all Glasgow Rangers supporters as being the same as an idiot minority who further tarnish their reputation in Europe , as on Wednesday.

That's all

Afterword

It's also the case that the only Celtic supporters whose behaviour in Lisbon some years back was in anyway questionable, were also London Celtic.

''another'', I think he meant me by that. Nice to get a bit of recognition now and again.

Yes I know I am replying to a very old post but I must have forgotten at the time.

''Seasons Greetings'' to one and all.

^, wonder if HH was one of them.

Sir, for one thing I don't have a cockney accent. But proudly a SE Essex one. Secondly, the only Rangers that I may be likely to support is The Rangers at Great Notley Country Park.

But I did find it slightly ironic following Gers1873 first post on this forum -- well using that name anyway :) I should hear of that behaviour. But unlike he and "another" who would like to tar all Celtic supporters with the same brush, I would be a hypocrite if I were to all Glasgow Rangers supporters as being the same as an idiot minority who further tarnish their reputation in Europe , as on Wednesday.

That's all

Afterword

It's also the case that the only Celtic supporters whose behaviour in Lisbon some years back was in anyway questionable, were also London Celtic.

''another'', I think he meant me by that. Nice to get a bit of recognition now and again.

Yes I know I am replying to a very old post but I must have forgotten at the time.

''Seasons Greetings'' to one and all.

I wonder if these were the same London Celtic supporters who visited Lincoln recently, perhaps HH could enlighten us.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/editor-s-picks/celtic-fan-is-injured-in-violent-clashes-1.1044045

Seems "the greatest fans in the world" didnt exactly endear themselves to the people of Lincoln, who apparently had no wish to "let the people sing".

Third and final game today. Rangers v AEK Athens. I have to say Athens have looked pretty good in the games i have watched them play. Rangers will really have to step up their game if they want to win. Come on the Gers!

• 2 weeks later...

Gers complete Beattie deal

By Soccernet staff

August 13, 2010

Comment

Email

Print

Rangers have confirmed the signing of striker James Beattie from Stoke.

GettyImages

James Beattie has completed his move to Rangers

Beattie, 32, has long been linked with an exit from the Britannia Stadium and Rangers made their move for the former England international this week, with the player travelling to Ibrox for talks on Thursday.

Rangers boss Walter Smith said prior to the deal that he believed Beattie would be an ideal signing for the club.

"James is an experienced striker and I feel that we need that," he said. "You can go with youngsters in other areas of the team but, when you're playing for the Old Firm, you need experience up front.

"He has a decent goalscoring record and also has a physical presence which I feel we need in order to complement Kenny. James is charismatic and that will be handy but we mainly want him because I think he can come in and do a good job.

"We've looked at how he's played previously and what he can bring to us. I believe he can be a success and kick-start his career which is at a standstill at Stoke."

Beattie has declared himself fit to play for Rangers in their Scottish Premier League opener against Kilmarnock at Ibrox and admitted he is excited by the prospect of appearing in front of 50,000 supporters.

"I'm delighted to sign for a club like Glasgow Rangers and it was quite a quick deal as far as I'm concerned,'' Beattie said at the media conference.

"I came to Ibrox on Thursday morning and was met by the gaffer and (chief executive) Martin Bain. They showed me around the stadium, which was magnificent and you can see it is a club steeped in history.

"I then walked out on to the pitch, which was magnificent. The walk out, even when the stadium was empty, was something so I'm looking forward to walking out when it's full.

"There was interest from other clubs but when you come here and speak to Walter Smith and have a look around, the decision was easy.''

Personally i don't think this is a bad signing at all.

He has been a total dick last season,turning up overweight at the beginning of the season and didnt train hard.Wasnt good enough or fit enough to play until nearly xmas,then has a bust up with Pullis over a long weekend xmas piss up he was arranging after the Arsenal game,in London.

Then he has the cheek to try and sue Pullis for apparently nutting him,Pullis couldnt head his knee caps.

All in all he has had his last pay cheque and i will be amazed if he plays well,unless most of the teams are shiiiiit.

Personally i don't think this is a bad signing at all.

He has been a total dick last season,turning up overweight at the beginning of the season and didnt train hard.Wasnt good enough or fit enough to play until nearly xmas,then has a bust up with Pullis over a long weekend xmas piss up he was arranging after the Arsenal game,in London.

Then he has the cheek to try and sue Pullis for apparently nutting him,Pullis couldnt head his knee caps.

All in all he has had his last pay cheque and i will be amazed if he plays well,unless most of the teams are shiiiiit.

So he should fit in well then in Glasgow. :lol:

Rangers have won the race to sign Slovakia international Vladimir Weiss ahead of Old Firm rivals Celtic, as well as Stuttgart and Sampdoria.

• City's turnover of players continues

The Manchester City winger has joined the Scottish champions on a one-year loan deal after being taken to the club's Murray Park training complex on Thursday, where the deal was finalised with Rangers chief executive Martin Bain.

The highly-rated 20-year-old is now set to go straight into the squad for Sunday's SPL clash with Hibernian at Easter Road.

He found himself in demand after impressing at the World Cup in South Africa this summer and his capture will be seen as a major coup for the Gers.

He becomes Walter Smith's second signing of the summer, following the arrival of James Beattie from Stoke last week.

Prior to Beattie, Smith had not purchased a player for two years but Weiss could soon be joined by Nikica Jelavic.

He looks to be on his way to Rangers after refusing to play for Rapid Vienna in their Europa League play-off tie against Aston Villa tonight.

Rangers agreed a fee with the Austrian club earlier in the week, reported to be around £4 million, and personal terms were agreed with the 24-year-old Croatian striker.

This kid Weiss, from what I've seen of him last season looks to be a good signing, just wish it was permanent.

Edited by SweatySock

RANGERS NEWS

Rangers seal £4m deal for striker Jelavic

August 20, 2010

Comment

Email

Print

Striker Nikica Jelavic has completed a £4 million move to Rangers.

Associated

Nikica Jelavic © will move to Ibrox

Jelavic's move to Ibrox appeared close when he refused to play for Rapid Vienna in the Europa League play-off against Aston Villa. But the Croatian, who has agreed a four-year contract, has now become Rangers' third summer signing following the captures of James Beattie and Vladimir Weiss.

Weiss arrived on a season-long loan deal from Manchester City on Thursday and Jelavic becomes manager Walter Smith's second signing in little more than 24 hours.

Earlier, Smith revealed a deal was imminent after tracking the player all summer.

He said: ''It's been quite a protracted one. There has been a few hitches and (chief executive) Martin Bain has had to work extremely hard to get that one over the line.

''We will hopefully do that this afternoon and fingers crossed that's the case. The player over that time has always said that he would like to join us and hopefully that can be completed this afternoon.''

With the player's signature secured, Rangers are now waiting on a successful work permit application.

Jelavic will not be part of the Rangers squad for Sunday's clash with Hibernian at Easter Road, but it is hoped he will be available to make his debut at Ibrox against St Johnstone on August 28.

Rangers have won the race to sign Slovakia international Vladimir Weiss ahead of Old Firm rivals Celtic, as well as Stuttgart and Sampdoria.

• City's turnover of players continues

The Manchester City winger has joined the Scottish champions on a one-year loan deal after being taken to the club's Murray Park training complex on Thursday, where the deal was finalised with Rangers chief executive Martin Bain.

The highly-rated 20-year-old is now set to go straight into the squad for Sunday's SPL clash with Hibernian at Easter Road.

He found himself in demand after impressing at the World Cup in South Africa this summer and his capture will be seen as a major coup for the Gers.

He becomes Walter Smith's second signing of the summer, following the arrival of James Beattie from Stoke last week.

Prior to Beattie, Smith had not purchased a player for two years but Weiss could soon be joined by Nikica Jelavic.

He looks to be on his way to Rangers after refusing to play for Rapid Vienna in their Europa League play-off tie against Aston Villa tonight.

Rangers agreed a fee with the Austrian club earlier in the week, reported to be around £4 million, and personal terms were agreed with the 24-year-old Croatian striker.

This kid Weiss, from what I've seen of him last season looks to be a good signing, just wish it was permanent.

Excellent against the hibees by all accounts

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Nearly there..

Gers edge closer, Hamilton down

May 10, 2011

Email

Print

By ESPN staff

Rangers put one hand on the SPL trophy with a 2-0 win over Dundee United at Ibrox.

Goals from Kyle Lafferty and Nikica Jelavic gave Rangers boss Walter Smith the perfect send-off as he watched his side stroll to victory in his last match at Ibrox.

Jelavic gave the home side the lead after 21 minutes, heading in Steven Whittaker's cross, before Lafferty doubled their lead four minutes later, drilling the ball low into the corner after a well-worked move with strike partner Steven Naismith.

The win sees them four points clear ahead of their final match at Kilmarnock on Sunday, but they could be crowned champions on Wednesday should Hearts beat Celtic.

Just rescued this thread from the archives....

http://news.bbc.co.u...ll/12932160.stm

All is not well at Ibrox.

Read that the other day. As our smokie said. Won't happen.

Just rescued this article from the archives ......

http://www.scotsman.com/rangersfc/Craig-Whyte-completes-Rangers-takover.6763865.jp

Wrong, all's very well at Ibrox !

After watching his interview on RTV i'm now sure RFC are in very safe hands. ;)

Nearly there..

Gers edge closer, Hamilton down

May 10, 2011

Email

Print

By ESPN staff

Rangers put one hand on the SPL trophy with a 2-0 win over Dundee United at Ibrox.

Goals from Kyle Lafferty and Nikica Jelavic gave Rangers boss Walter Smith the perfect send-off as he watched his side stroll to victory in his last match at Ibrox.

Jelavic gave the home side the lead after 21 minutes, heading in Steven Whittaker's cross, before Lafferty doubled their lead four minutes later, drilling the ball low into the corner after a well-worked move with strike partner Steven Naismith.

The win sees them four points clear ahead of their final match at Kilmarnock on Sunday, but they could be crowned champions on Wednesday should Hearts beat Celtic.

Yes JS, watched the game on RTV last night. Very good 1st half performance but had a few jittery moments late on.

We've hit some good form just at the right time, after a poor mid season. Great atmosphere last night and an awesome "send off" for Walter !

Need to hold our nerve now, for what would be a truly remarkable title, given the wafer thin squad and "nonsense " we've been put through this year.

Thank you, thank you, thank you Rangers !!

Glasgow Rangers are champions of the SPL title for season 2010/11 against all the odds. Congratulations to Walter Smith and the boys for pulling off an unlikely 54th Championship title(a World record )and completing a league and CIS cup double. Astonishingly brilliant" as someone once said !

Despite the woeful financial position, tiny squad and dreadful luck with injuries Rangers made it 3 SPL titles in a row. Remarkable, given the constraints the club has been working under !

A well funded Celtic with a far stronger squad had held a 2 point advantage with 4 games to play, but were unable to hold their nerve and slipped up on the final run in, with former Gers captain and current ICT manager Terry Butcher's side taking a vital 3 points from the Bhoys, when they visited Inverness. Rangers really found some excellent form in their final four matches and produced some of their best performances of the season just when it mattered most.

No doubt the conspiracy theories will surface once again . It'll be the SFA, the referees, the SPL, the alignment of the planets or wee blue men from Mars that cheated Celtic ! However, the unpleasant truth remains for the Parkhead side that if that big fairy Samaras HAD scored the dubious penalty awarded at Ibrox, Celtic WOULD be SPL champions. Maybe big Sammy's in on the conspiracy as well ? ;)

Now, let me state plainly that some of the football dished up by the Gers mid-season was poor. For all Walters "miracles", beautiful free flowing football wasn't one of them. But to Rangers credit, a determination and dogged spirit has seen us through some games where we have quite simply been outplayed. Without the investment in players and a tiny squad it's had to be that way. Nonetheless, even the harshest of critics will thank Walter for picking up the pieces after the PLG fiasco. "

With the recent purchase of Rangers by Craig Whyte, and the promised cash injection ( if we ever see it ! ), it's unlikely Glasgows "other" team will continue to enjoy the advantage they've had over the boys in blue for the last few years. David Murray, the previous owner, divided opinion amongst Bears fans, but Rangers won an impressive 36 trophies and 15 out of 22 League titles, during his time in charge.

So as Walter retires after a trio of consecutive titles, the fans look to an old favourite to replace him. History has a way of repeating itself, and it was after achieving 3 in a row, some 20 years ago, that Graham Souness handed over to his assistant at the time, a youthful, Walter Smith. I sincerely hope Ally can go on to be as successful a manager as Walter was !

And it's a well deserved break for the team before it starts all over again on 23rd July. Post season trip to Japan anyone ?

Anyway good luck to Ally and the boys for next season all Bears fans are behind you on this new, exciting period in the history of Scotlands premier club -the mighty Glasgow Rangers Football Club.

Jelavic happy to stay at Rangers

May 19, 2011

Email

Print

Rangers striker Nikica Jelavic insists he is going nowhere despite being linked with a move to Manchester United.

GettyImages

Nikica Jelavic: Joined Rangers from Rapid Vienna last summer

Jelavic has been a hit at Ibrox after netting 19 goals in his debut season despite a spell of almost four months on the sidelines part way through the campaign.

His form saw him linked with a £13 million switch to Old Trafford, but the forward - who joined Rangers for £4 million last summer - claims he is happy in Glasgow.

Jelavic was quoted in the Daily Record as saying: "Frankly, I do not think about leaving because I am loving it at Rangers. Some of the stories about me leaving were simply people getting excited over nothing. I don't think I need to push myself for sale.''

Jelavic happy to stay at Rangers

May 19, 2011

Email

Print

Rangers striker Nikica Jelavic insists he is going nowhere despite being linked with a move to Manchester United.

GettyImages

Nikica Jelavic: Joined Rangers from Rapid Vienna last summer

Jelavic has been a hit at Ibrox after netting 19 goals in his debut season despite a spell of almost four months on the sidelines part way through the campaign.

His form saw him linked with a £13 million switch to Old Trafford, but the forward - who joined Rangers for £4 million last summer - claims he is happy in Glasgow.

Jelavic was quoted in the Daily Record as saying: "Frankly, I do not think about leaving because I am loving it at Rangers. Some of the stories about me leaving were simply people getting excited over nothing. I don't think I need to push myself for sale.''

It's absolutely vital he stays with us, at least for next season, while Ally "beds in" as manager. If he hadn't been injured between Oct and Jan we would have cake-walked the SPL title this year. IMO of course.

Statistically Rangers FC are ranked 33rd in Europe. Figures are based over the last 5 years and i personally wouldn't argue with most of the teams sitting above us..

http://www.xs4all.nl.../trank2011.html

Sitting a lowly 21 places below are rivals Celtic FC in 54th place.

Funny, 54 is my new favourite number for some reason ! :whistling:

Rumour has it that Ally McCoist would like to sign Ricky Foster ( Aberdeen ) on a permanent deal now that his loan deal has ended. Foster joined Rangers on loan in Sept and provided much needed cover after Kirk Broadfoot was injured. I know Foster has stated moving to Ibrox was the best thing that happened in his career, and of course he leaves with a Championship winners medal but surely we should be looking for a bit more quality for next year. Squad member at best, even then i think we could do better.

It's also rumoured Ally wants to give James Beattie a fresh start next year - YIKES !

Beattie who was signed from Stoke in Aug, arrived overweight and not match fit. He never really impressed even when fit, then picked up an injury and spent the rest of the year hovering between the Subs bench and the treatment room. He was finally put out on loan to Blackpool in Feb. This Boy's obviously read the Bobo Balde book of Freeloading and is happy to park his rear end on the subs bench and wait for the money to roll in. No way Ally ! - punt him.